PDA

View Full Version : WTB - FZR1000 clutch holding tool

pete376403
13th October 2007, 17:35
Hi, want to borrow, hire or buy - the tool that is used to hold the clutch centre of a FZR750 / 1000 while undoing the nut. It appears the last person to put this on was a gorilla with a rattle gun and a love affair with loctite.
I've tried putting the trans in gear and locking the output shaft with the chain but this engine was bought solely for the transmission and I don't want to break anything getting it apart.

Thanks
Pete

bimotabob
14th October 2007, 10:51
Hi

It must be very tight, I dont need to hold the hub I just rattle it off with my chinese rattle gun.
They dont need to be tight as they have a lock tab and also they run straight cut primary gears so they don't have the old school tendancy to come loose.

What year is your engine?

Drill the extra hub oil holes and if you have dremel slot the basket oil holes.
They dont get enough oil to the outer plates but unless you want a billet basket that's what I would do (and have done)_
Use the thunderace friction plates as the early ones had a dodgy weak centre plate with a steel washer.

Cheers

pete376403
14th October 2007, 12:34
Thanks for the info. I agree that the clutch nut doesn't need to be silly tight -unfortunately no-one told the previous "mechanic".
The 750 year is unknown - engine number prefix is iFU, which the Haynes manual doesn't list. maybe its an FZ. Any way all I want it for is the 6 speed, which will be going onto an 87 FZR1000 with a munted trans.

robinm
14th October 2007, 17:20
just weld a bar onto a steel clutch plate.

dickytoo
18th October 2007, 13:34
i had the same problem on an old zx9r. someone had used super strength loctite on the nut. even a rattle gun couldn't take the nut off. i welded an old clutch plate to a length of pipe to hold the basket but she wasn't going to budge. heat had no effect either.

in the end, i had to grind the nut off. i had to take it slow to avoid damaging the threads of the shaft.

good luck with getting your nut off! (does that sound rude?)