PDA

View Full Version : Can cops pull you over.......?

ehab2weelr
14th October 2007, 17:23
Can cops pull you over for suspecting that you could be a Lerner rider?

i was riding on the mway doing 85kmh during traffic and a cop pulls out from behind me and pulls me over.
he tells me that normally people that ride the bike i was riding (gsx250) are Lerners???? :blink: he asked for my licence. so i proudly flip out my ristricted :beer: and shut him doen.:wari:

but can they do such a thing???

cowboyz
14th October 2007, 17:25
yes. They can stop you at any time for any reason and that is how it should be. If you are all legit then it takes up 5 minutes of your time. If your not then you shouldnt have been on the road anyhow.

Ragingrob
14th October 2007, 17:26
Really? I thought cops were lax with the whole >70 thing on your learners anyway if you're riding safe?!

And yeah I think cops can pull you over if they suspect anything at all...

TLMAN
14th October 2007, 17:26

i was riding on the mway doing 85kmh during traffic and a cop pulls out from behind me and pulls me over.
he tells me that normally people that ride the bike i was riding (gsx250) are Lerners???? :blink: he asked for my licence. so i proudly flip out my ristricted :beer: and shut him doen.:wari:

Yes. If youre in/on a vehicle in a public place or public road police can stop you.

cowboyz
14th October 2007, 17:29
Really? I thought cops were lax with the whole >70 thing on your learners anyway if you're riding safe?!

And yeah I think cops can pull you over if they suspect anything at all...

all depends on the cop and if he has reached his (non existant) quota or not yet. Actually thats not real fair cause I often pass a cop on the way to and from work at 130+ and he waves everytime.
On the flipside I was doing 122 in Taranaki when the photo in my sig was taken.

TLMAN
14th October 2007, 18:10

After rereading your thread it almost sounds like you are saying "who the fuck do they think they are pulling ME over".

I think you need a reality check little man, it is a privellage not a right to be granted a NZ drivers license. When you take out the application and pay your money- that little form that you put your chicken scratchings on is an agreement to abide by and be subject to all the rules and regulations of the Land Transport Act 1998.
In there somewhere it will say when a police officer pulls in behind you with flashing red and blue lights activated what do you do, it probably says
a) pull over because youre supposed to,
not
b) pull over and then be a smarmy, smart arse little c*@t, then go and post a pointless drivel thread on an internet forum about it

James Deuce
14th October 2007, 18:14
yes. They can stop you at any time for any reason and that is how it should be.

No it isn't. They should have to prove that they had enough evidence to suspect you of doing something wrong that would hold up in court. The NZ Police's ability to stop you for no reason at all contravenes every International human rights charter created over the last 60 years. It's totalitarianism at work.

EJK
14th October 2007, 18:26
^I'd say
e.g. big fat police men pulls over a sexy lady in her Mercedes SLK just to look at her.

I don't think so, thats stalking.

EJK
14th October 2007, 18:29
Oh hey Ehab! Maybe that cop was gay lol
Maybe he likes bikers :blip:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

klyong82
14th October 2007, 18:51
I think cops are allowed to pull you over for routine checks. I have seen alot of the Police 10/7 how they randomly stop suspected car drivers without licence or their instincts tells them something is not right.

If it makes you feel better I got stopped on 3 occasions now with cops asking me are you sure you are allowed to ride such a big bike like that (stupid question like that). There was also a lady cop asking me are you riding your fathers bike....I just show them my licence smile and bugger off. As cowboyz stated if you are legit no problem...I suppose they are just doing their job Ehab....

klyong82
14th October 2007, 18:55
^I'd say
e.g. big fat police men pulls over a sexy lady in her Mercedes SLK just to look at her.

I don't think so, thats stalking.

This happened to my girlfriend in her flashy car....stopped by a biker cop and he asked for her phone number... long story short stalking charges were laid....

EJK
14th October 2007, 19:06
:gob: bastards.... lol

cowboyz
14th October 2007, 19:12
This happened to my girlfriend in her flashy car....stopped by a biker cop and he asked for her phone number... long story short stalking charges were laid....

That is pretty fucked up when a guy cant see a cute girl and come up with a "different" way to make an impression (no matter if it works or not) thathe ends up with stalking charges. Thats not stalking. That is trying to meet someone.

klyong82
14th October 2007, 19:35
That is pretty fucked up when a guy cant see a cute girl and come up with a "different" way to make an impression (no matter if it works or not) thathe ends up with stalking charges. Thats not stalking. That is trying to meet someone.

Not going into too much detail but apparently the department found out that he bought a prepaid cellphone and started making calls when he knew she was not available... if you were her at that time I think you would freak out :shit:.

Edit: I suppose if it happened to someone else I would say gotta give that cop credit for been creative......but if this cop was going after your lady.....hmmm....

toycollector10
14th October 2007, 19:44
The police just can't go on a fishing expedition. It gets worse...The city council here were doing some sort of survey on Johns Road a couple of months ago. Signaling drivers to pull over then detaining them to fill in some damn form. People at work were bitching about having to wait in a queue. How pathetic. As a citizen you have rights and one of those rights is to go about your lawful business without being harassed, which is what happened to the young poster of this thread. We are a nation of sheep and it's getting worse. In the USA they don't put up with that crap. They defend their freedoms, but we couldn't care less, let along give the issue any thought until it impacts on us personally.

NighthawkNZ
14th October 2007, 19:51
The city council here were doing some sort of survey on Johns Road a couple of months ago. Signaling drivers to pull over then detaining them to fill in some damn form. People at work were bitching about having to wait in a queue.

You don't have to fill the form in and they can't make you... and you can be on your way... and years a ago I remember there was something similar in the HB, a sent the the council a bill for my time they used and loss of profit...

Mom
14th October 2007, 20:00

Yes they can pull you over, BUT, they have to have an excuse..

What was the reason you were given for being stopped???

Did you get a ticket???

No it isn't. They should have to prove that they had enough evidence to suspect you of doing something wrong that would hold up in court. The NZ Police's ability to stop you for no reason at all contravenes every International human rights charter created over the last 60 years. It's totalitarianism at work.

I think that you will find they do have the "power" to stop you randomly now, if they suspect you of being under the influence....easy stop.
All that needs to be said is..."I saw the driver doing...??? and suspected they were under the influence"
I seem to remember a big discussion about this a few years ago.. Does not make it right by any stretch of the imagination, but legal in NZ.

cowboyz
14th October 2007, 20:02
The police just can't go on a fishing expedition. It gets worse...The city council here were doing some sort of survey on Johns Road a couple of months ago. Signaling drivers to pull over then detaining them to fill in some damn form. People at work were bitching about having to wait in a queue. How pathetic. As a citizen you have rights and one of those rights is to go about your lawful business without being harassed, which is what happened to the young poster of this thread. We are a nation of sheep and it's getting worse. In the USA they don't put up with that crap. They defend their freedoms, but we couldn't care less, let along give the issue any thought until it impacts on us personally.

Being pulled over isnt harassment. Maybe if you were pulled over 5 times in a week with no charges against you it would be but a once off is not.
What a fucking drama queen.

Toaster
14th October 2007, 20:05

Yes of course they can!! Why on earth do you think they couldn't? They have considerable powers under the land transport laws. Police have the right to stop anyone, anywhere, anytime. :beer:

scumdog
14th October 2007, 20:06

Bad luck for you cos that's the way it is.

"Anywhere, anytime" is the slogan I think....

You could always ruin their day by refusing to drive or ride I suppose?:whistle:

HungusMaximist
14th October 2007, 20:10
After rereading your thread it almost sounds like you are saying "who the fuck do they think they are pulling ME over".

I think you need a reality check little man, it is a privellage not a right to be granted a NZ drivers license. When you take out the application and pay your money- that little form that you put your chicken scratchings on is an agreement to abide by and be subject to all the rules and regulations of the Land Transport Act 1998.
In there somewhere it will say when a police officer pulls in behind you with flashing red and blue lights activated what do you do, it probably says
not
b) pull over and then be a smarmy, smart arse little c*@t, then go and post a pointless drivel thread on an internet forum about it

Hey man, what's up with the attitude?

Before going around busting other people's chops at least try and spell properly next time aye?

Ehab, I think it's time for a bigger bike aye! Haha :2thumbsup

As for Kim, have you thought about investing in titanium arm and leg extensions? Have a chat with your local GP.

It will solve the issue of getting pulled over and getting mistaken as a kid on his father's bike. hahahah........ :clap:

Toaster
14th October 2007, 20:14

not

Well said! bling deserved for that mate. :clap:

Toaster
14th October 2007, 20:15
Bad luck for you cos that's the way it is.

"Anywhere, anytime" is the slogan I think....

You could always ruin their day by refusing to drive or ride I suppose?:whistle:

.... and probably make the road safer for the rest of us. :Police::bleh:

Mom
14th October 2007, 20:16
Before going around busting other people's chops at least try and spell properly next time aye?

Are you a BDOTGNZA prospect? nice spotting if you are. ;)

Cache Wraith
14th October 2007, 20:21
Actually thats not real fair cause I often pass a cop on the way to and from work at 130+ and he waves everytime.

You bustin my chops Cowboyz? Pass a :Police: at 130+ and he gives a freindly wave. :clap:

cowboyz
14th October 2007, 20:27
they are not all that bad. On average i would see the same cop 3 times a week on the same piece of road and he doesnt mind. One morning I was running late and got up around 150 when he was coming the other way and his wave turned into a stern finger point. I have never met him and dont know if he rides himself but pretty sure he has a fair bit of common sense about him or maybe he just appreciated the quality colour of my bike.

NotaGoth
14th October 2007, 20:29
Well they can't really just "assume" that said person riding past actually HAS a licence, or that they aren't breaching licence conditions.. You can't just assume that said person riding past on a 600cc bike has the proper licence, or a licence at all for that matter...! People out there are always breaking rules... Best way to check is random stops.. I don't see anything wrong with it.. Obviously everything was legit.. *shrug*

Squiggles
14th October 2007, 21:06
I think cops are allowed to pull you over for routine checks. I have seen alot of the Police 10/7 how they randomly stop suspected car drivers without licence or their instincts tells them something is not right.

bingo, ehab from memory ya got pulled over when you were going speedily past traffic that was stopped in the lane next to ya, seeing as we all know how people love to change lanes without looking (especially when one is moving slow and the other fast), he might've thought something suss was up... perhaps a learner? :msn-wink:

canarlee
14th October 2007, 21:28
:sweatdrop
they are not all that bad. On average i would see the same cop 3 times a week on the same piece of road and he doesnt mind. One morning I was running late and got up around 150 when he was coming the other way and his wave turned into a stern finger point. I have never met him and dont know if he rides himself but pretty sure he has a fair bit of common sense about him or maybe he just appreciated the quality colour of my bike.

i knew loads of cops like that over in the canaries, they see you on a regular basis and that you are not (:shutup:) going like mad then they generally will leave you alone. to them you are obviously (to most people anyway lol) a commuter, or as said before they too are bikers.........?

Cr1MiNaL
15th October 2007, 00:04
They can pull u over for any reason the conjure up, but shudnt just be able to unless they have a legit reason to do so. Totally disagree with TLMAN. As you were.

I Smell Bacon
15th October 2007, 05:42

No excuse needed at all, they just need section 114 of the Land Transport Act.

scumdog
15th October 2007, 06:44
They can pull u over for any reason the conjure up, but shudnt just be able to unless they have a legit reason to do so. Totally disagree with TLMAN. As you were.

Unfortunately for you 'shudnt' doesn't cut it despite what you think - the word is 'can' and for good reasons.

The legit? reasons are: To see if you have a licence, to see if your vehicles safe, to see if you're sober, to see if the vehicle is stolen, etc etc etc - all valid reasons I would have thought.

And as mentioned above, s114 of LTA says they can.

AND HOW MANY MORE FRICKIN TIMES IS THIS GOING TO HAVE TO BE POINTED OUT ON KB?????????????

bikerlou
15th October 2007, 08:10
:shutup::Playnice: no more :girlfight:

ManDownUnder
15th October 2007, 08:35

LOL Bling and agree!

No it isn't. They should have to prove that they had enough evidence to suspect you of doing something wrong that would hold up in court.

TBH they can pull me over any time they want.

Pulling me over ain't no big thing. Detaining/harrassing me is something else. Something like "It looks suspicious" should be enough. I've learned to not ignore that 6th sense when riding, and I'm sure cops must develop it on the job too.

ehab2weelr
15th October 2007, 11:28
Ehab, I think it's time for a bigger bike aye! Haha :2thumbsup
:

yea man i got too much skill for the 250 now... hahah:whistle:

What was the reason you were given for being stopped???

Did you get a ticket???

he stopped me because the bike i ride is also riden by lerners. that was mostly it.
no ticket i was all good. hahah

bingo, ehab from memory ya got pulled over when you were going speedily past traffic that was stopped in the lane next to ya, seeing as we all know how people love to change lanes without looking (especially when one is moving slow and the other fast), he might've thought something suss was up... perhaps a learner? :msn-wink:

traffic was not stooped it was going at about 40-50kmh.
i took the clear lane and was doing 75-80 kmh, on a 100kmh zone.
didnt know u cant do 100 on a 100 zone??:blink:

not

easy mate! :third: i was asking if it was ok for them to do that, not start a fight with any one. i dont think that cops are dicks or what ever. i think that there just dioing there job, but some take it a littel too far.
and i never thought
"who the fuck do they think they are pulling ME over", i just thought why pull me over? i say it again i didnt know that you cant do 80 on a 100 zone! :wacko:

Folcan
15th October 2007, 12:33
who knows. It could have been cus you were riding 80 in a 100 zone and they didnt see a Loser plate. that they thought might be a learner?

Toaster
15th October 2007, 12:49
And as mentioned above, s114 of LTA says they can.

AND HOW MANY MORE FRICKIN TIMES IS THIS GOING TO HAVE TO BE POINTED OUT ON KB?????????????

Sadly it will probably need repeating many more times over and over..... just like every day on patrol repeating the warnings, tickets, arrests and charges laid over and over again. Some people are simply too thick and arrogant to learn.

The police have and always will have my support and admiration for the job the do.

It is depressing to think of all the stupid dickheads that they have to put up with day in day out, because they seem to think it is their right to do whatever they like, and to heck with the rest of us who want to live in peace.

Frankly, I want all of us to see our lives out to the full and not cut short or ruined by some selfish smartass twat that thinks they are better than everyone else. The rules are there for our common good.

Thank goodness we have a police service that does a good job of keeping the roads safer for you and me to enjoy when we ride.

skidMark
15th October 2007, 13:06
they will pull u over whenever they feel like it, don't need a reason

ive been pulled over 35 times in 2 years.

crazybigal
15th October 2007, 13:19
you have to ask yourself, do i look dodgy??? 35times!!! ive only ever been pulled over once! and that i deserved.

Cr1MiNaL
15th October 2007, 13:24

Rofl Skid, Im sure they had valid reasons 34 of the 35 times !!!

scumdog
15th October 2007, 13:28

Three times in the last 10 years.

All at 'Booze-bus' check-points.

I'm pissed off, wasn't doing nothing wrong, wasn't drunk, bike had a wof and was registered and they STILL pulled me up.

bastids.

Toaster
15th October 2007, 13:38
In 20 years of driving:

The only times I was pulled over was in the MOT days. One for a random breath test (and had nothing to do with my matt black ford escort car... uhuh!!) and the other a warning for speeding.... 72km/h in a 50 area.... at 2 in the morning in the company limo.

Other 3 times have been check points for breast, er breath tests.... sober of course. Driving drunk is for numbskulls.

skidMark
15th October 2007, 13:51

I'm pissed off, wasn't doing nothing wrong, wasn't drunk, bike had a wof and was registered and they STILL pulled me up.

bastids.

oh well if we counting booze bus checks too then about 40

cops like pulling me over.

don't ask me why, i'm an angel honest offita

scumdog
15th October 2007, 13:59
oh well if we counting booze bus checks too then about 40

cops like pulling me over.

don't ask me why, i'm an angel honest offita

Oh well if you DON'T count booze-bus stops then the last time I was stopped was 1994.........:woohoo:

skidMark
15th October 2007, 14:04
Oh well if you DON'T count booze-bus stops then the last time I was stopped was 1994.........:woohoo:

ur a cop thats cheating.....

fireball
15th October 2007, 14:44

thats a bit much..... ive only been pulled over twice in the past 2 years and one of them the officer was just making sure i was ok (was looking a bit rough after a bin limping home on the bike)
do you scream trouble or something?

I Smell Bacon
15th October 2007, 14:49

It speaks volumes that you have bothered to keep count.

Coldrider
15th October 2007, 14:58
It speaks volumes that you have bothered to keep count.
At least he is getting his moneys worth.

ManDownUnder
15th October 2007, 15:14
Re skiddy being pulled 35 times in 2 years

WTF???? Why the confusion. A couple of basic observations from a non cop.

1) Cops aren't stupid. They get to know a person on a bike that's had a reasonably long and interesting involvement with speed and/or riding like a mad bastard - they might take an interest.
2) Cops have comms (and use them). "Check this plate for me" returns all manner of goodies on the vehicle and owner. Guess what... he's always being pulled over for dumb shit... chances are good he'll get pulled over again - and more dumb shit will be found.

As for me. I've been pulled over 4 times in the last 2 years. I earned every one of them and had two fines to pay.

OK... lessons learned... moving right along.

2wheeljunkie
15th October 2007, 16:00
good to be back on a motorbike again. Speaking of cops i thought i share my experience today. Funny one actually, since i have a new bike(gpx250), i cant go abve 4000 revs..quite frustating bt im keeping to it until it runs it.bt yea got pulled over for doin 60 in a 70 zone. he followed me for a while until he got fed up and decided it was time to bust me. First line he told me was, "DONT YOU KNOW HOW TO RIDE A BIKE". Quite insulting really since all he needed to ask was why i was goin 10km/hr slower.Despite my lengthy explanation as to why i was goin slow, he didnt believe me. I then asked to follow me to the nearest motorcycle dealer for them to explain to him what running a new engine is. He quitely got in his car and left..ohh well i guess their doin their job but he could have been a little nicer..then again maybe im just too sensitive..lol

scumdog
15th October 2007, 18:16
ur a cop thats cheating.....

Like EVERY cop in NZ knows that ? "I don't think so Tim" (said in best Al Borland voice).

BTW: I wasn't ALWAYS a cop - and even then rarely got pulled over by cops ('cept the odd local MOT guy that knew my old V8s were, ahem, a tad shy of a WOF):pinch:

bomma
15th October 2007, 20:06

HOLY CRAP!!! 35 TIMES?!?!?! do you go around popping wheelies and stoppies wheneva you see a cop or somethin?!?!

ive been pulled over ONCE in the last 4 years of riding and that was a couple of months ago for speeding

even checkpoints usually let me through (ive been stopped at maybe two checkpoints in all my time riding)

like somebody pointed out cops wont pull you over for nothing and if you've been pulled over 35 times in such a short time then mate change the way you ride.....more for your and others' safety than for the time spent by the cops pulling you over......might save you more than just time spent talkin to an orfisher

motorbyclist
16th October 2007, 14:50
yes. They can stop you at any time for any reason and that is how it should be. If you are all legit then it takes up 5 minutes of your time. If your not then you shouldnt have been on the road anyhow.

exactly. why have police if they can't do anything?

yeah my dad is usually doing 70-80kph along his 50k zone commute. a cop once followed him into a petrol station, saw grey beard and let him be. he wasn't a young idiot - he was a commuter at 5am - so they left him.

dude, last i saw your 250 was damn loud and covered in scratches. i bet the first thing a cop thinks when he sees that is "hoon".

good to be back on a motorbike again. Speaking of cops i thought i share my experience today. Funny one actually, since i have a new bike(gpx250), i cant go abve 4000 revs..quite frustating bt im keeping to it until it runs it.bt yea got pulled over for doin 60 in a 70 zone. he followed me for a while until he got fed up and decided it was time to bust me. First line he told me was, "DONT YOU KNOW HOW TO RIDE A BIKE". Quite insulting really since all he needed to ask was why i was goin 10km/hr slower.

ffs why can't that cop come around to my place?! the number of idiots doing 50 in this 70kph zone is frightening (especially when i'm still doing over 100:whistle: - they should nevr have decreased the limit from 100 to 70)

myself, i've been stopped at a checkpoint once (and the cop asked how big my bike was cause it didn't have "250" written anwhere on it). apart from that every time i've been pulled over is for good reason and i haven't argued cause i was infact speeding, which i said i wouldn't do when i signed the form to get my licence. lucky for me the last two cops to see me on the motorway just gave a warning shot with their sirens, one didn't bother to follow me and the other couldn't pull into the traffic when i went past at 120 (but atleast he tried).

i do wish the police enforced the "keep left/on you side of the road" rule more often. nothing worse than following a car straddling the centreline despite oncoming traffic, and he's doing 40 in a 50k zone. (and agian i hate it when people queue for intersections and don't keep left. passing on the left can become safer than the right sometimes)

avgas
16th October 2007, 15:33
I then asked to follow me to the nearest motorcycle dealer for them to explain to him what running a new engine is. He quitely got in his car and left..ohh well i guess their doin their job but he could have been a little nicer..then again maybe im just too sensitive..lol
Yep i have that - i had a young cop pull in behind me all lights flashing he jumped out of the car and tell me my bike was smoking too much. He then started writing out me a ticket, all while muttering it was burning oil and i should get it serviced so it doesn't distract other motorist.
I then told him, it is a 2-stroke and that what they do. He then argued in front of the servo attendant with me for 5 mins as i told him it was bullshit giving me a ticket for something that i have no control over. He then ripped up the ticket after the servo attendant told him that yes 2 strokes burn oil and smoke alot.
Stormed off to his car yelling something about "Doesn't matter as you plate is now marked on our records so you can only go home or the mechanics", "Fine, i live 200k's from here :angry2: so if you want give me a ticket for something you may as well do it now and not have to follow me".
It was like a women piercing gaze he gave me. The servo attendant had glowing smile i knew he was going to crack up when he went around the corner.
Bloody cock.
But in saying that i have met some of the nicest cops as well.

motorbyclist
16th October 2007, 15:44
now i've never met an unreasonable cop, but you always hear of idiots like that.... i'd rather him be on symonds st looking for those bike theifs and ticketing everyone who does 70kph between pedestrians - ie doing something useful

it kinda worries me that they're advertising for joining the police force now, especially as cops get paid more than teachers and nurses but don't require the 5 years getting the necessary degrees. it's not helping the nurse/teacher situation, and i think it will attract the wrong sort of people to the police force.... we'll get proportionatly less people who want to do right (whatever they concieve that to be) and more idiots who don't care/ are part of the problem.

bomma
16th October 2007, 15:51
^i wudnt mind bein a cop tbh...just dont have the time right now and am nowhere near fit enuff to run the whatever kms in the 10mins whatever time allowed.....

when the time comes though we'll print off some "Auckland Uni SMC" stickers so i know who NOT to stop ;)

motorbyclist
16th October 2007, 15:58
In the USA they don't put up with that crap. They defend their freedoms,

patriot act, anyone?

hospitalfood
16th October 2007, 16:07
ok..........stuff you all need to know.

when a police car is chasing a car or bike and lose sight of the perp, they will take the next left.
the reason is that most people will take a left as soon as they get the police car out of the rear vision mirror.

So..............police out of sight, turn right.

This info is supplied indirectly by the police.

It will not help if they are using a chopper.

Cheers.

scumdog
16th October 2007, 16:11
ok..........stuff you all need to know.

when a police car is chasing a car or bike and lose sight of the perp, they will take the next left.
the reason is that most people will take a left as soon as they get the police car out of the rear vision mirror.

So..............police out of sight, turn right.

This info is supplied indirectly by the police.

It will not help if they are using a chopper.

Cheers.

As true as: "They have to call off the chase if you go faster than 150kph" and "They can't arrest you if they're not wearing their hat" stories.

2wheeljunkie
16th October 2007, 16:17
just agreeing that there are good cops out there ehh..i mean i ran into problems when i was testing my sista's bf's rs250 and stopped on the waipuna bridge as it just wouldnt run..as bad luck wud have it i didnt have my cell phone to ring my folks and i forgot my wallet which meant i didnt have my license on me. To make things worse i din have my L plates on and it was past 10 at night. Hoping for someone to stop finally a biker came round the corner and saw me. Interestingly enough it was a biker cop. I braved a smiled and asked if he could call my folks and yea he was very pleasant..called my folks and told them to come and get me and wished me goodnight without once checkin my license,L plates or the fact that i was out past my bedtime..lol..great guy..!

hospitalfood
16th October 2007, 16:18
scum, if you dont believe me try it. its no fuckin fairy story.

Q. how many times have you already taken that left thinking thay are going to come back for you ?

motorbyclist
16th October 2007, 16:19
As true as: "They have to call off the chase if you go faster than 150kph" and "They can't arrest you if they're not wearing their hat" stories.

:lol:

if only....

seriously, if a cop chases you on open road you'd have to be pretty damn fast to do anything about it. they have radios, helicopters and buddies, your bike will run out of gas long before they will, and i hear they're good up to 240kph. really, unless you've got enough traffic for them not to bother, you might as well admit you're an idiot and give up before you get yourself killed

hospitalfood
16th October 2007, 16:21
they stick better round the corners in cars to.

Steam
16th October 2007, 16:22

heehee, you know dear Scummy is a police orificer himself?

motorbyclist
16th October 2007, 16:22

Q. how many times have you already taken that left thinking thay are going to come back for you ?

it kinda sounds plausible, i guess.... i would say what i'd do (if i didn't pull over, that is), but that would ruin my secret wouldn't it:laugh:

scumdog
16th October 2007, 16:26

Never done it, I think you are mistaking the chaser for the chasee here.:msn-wink:

Always carried on for a bit and then slowly retraced my route - lots of the time the 'chasee' suddenly comes out of a side street (mainly on my left - remember I'm heading back) and starts heading back the way they came - although once they came out straight of the side street and came towards me looking over his shoulder.:doh:

hospitalfood
16th October 2007, 16:26
Mmm. of course it wont work if there is only a right hand turn, but given a choice the cop will turn left.

Pancakes
16th October 2007, 17:08

He didn't say they pull ME over without a reason, they always have a reason the way you ride eh Mark? Hehehehehe

Pancakes
16th October 2007, 17:25
Why run? I only get pulled for speeding or splitting and more than half the time just get a warning. I agree with the change in the way the police seem to be hiring, in my mind the new cops might be less than ideal but then my cousin and a friend of a friend are two of them. My cousin would bake the perfect nice but no bullshit common sense cop and the other guy is a fricken' dropkick who'll probably get done trying to swap a speeding ticket for a handjob. In saying that I ride everyday on the NW'ern at the sametime and see the same cops all the time. I'm very time efficiant in getting to work if you know what I mean and split almost all the time, like 80-90% of the trip and have been pulled maybe 4 times in the last 2-3 years. I guess it's a time and a place thing, they can tell if your in control. There is one cop that waves most of the time and gives me the "slow down" gesture sometimes but doesn't pull me over. Have talked to him in the past and didn't give him shit or whatever.

Squiggles
16th October 2007, 21:11

shit, is this like when i got told that the storks were gunna be bringing me a sister???? :shit: I believed that too!

Hanne
16th October 2007, 22:18
shit, is this like when i got told that the storks were gunna be bringing me a sister???? :shit: I believed that too!

well, your sister seems pretty real to me....

Cr1MiNaL
16th October 2007, 22:19
scummy doesn't chase motorcyclists... he likes us... plus hes prolly a lazy ol donut muncher anyway n realises there are bigger problems out there !

motorbyclist
17th October 2007, 01:05
In saying that I ride everyday on the NW'ern at the sametime and see the same cops all the time. I'm very time efficiant in getting to work if you know what I mean and split almost all the time, like 80-90% of the trip
similar story here, but i deliberately time my commutes to/from uni to work to avoid the traffic. it's more a safety decision, but means i only spend 20minutes each way (only half of that would be on the motorway) rather than 30 and studying for an extra couple of hours until the traffic eases off never hurt anyone

bomma
17th October 2007, 12:52
Why run?

exactly...why run?? it is pointless and just gets you into more trouble.....

pull over and pray that the cops nice enuff to let you off with a warning :)

im shorry orfisher *hic* im not beeing drinking alcomohol an riding my byeshickle *hic*

ehab2weelr
17th October 2007, 20:44
i found out no matter how pissed off the cop is, if ur nice to them then they slowly calm down :Police:, make them laugh :laugh: if u can, it chears them up :niceone:

bomma
17th October 2007, 20:53
i found out no matter how pissed off the cop is, if ur nice to them then they slowly calm down :Police:, mack them

MACK THEM?!?!?! you wanna mack a pissed off copper?!?!? what the hell is wrong with you?!?!?! what if its an ugly cop?!?! geez ehab didnt know you swung that way :blink:

EDIT: changing your post aint gonna help you ehab....your spelling prowess, or lack of, is well known here in the world of KB!! muahahahaha :devil2:

Pancakes
18th October 2007, 08:13
Shit yes!!! I'll buy a beer for anyone who gets a date with a cop from getting pulled over. You have to ask the cop out tho' a cop asking someone they've stoppped is just a bit weird and creepy.

Cr1MiNaL
19th November 2007, 12:36

Edit: I have seen the foolishness of my ways... In my defense it is only because of an encounter with a 'bitter' cop who in my mind ruined it for all cops. Generalization is for the ignorant or uneducated. And I am neither hence the edit.

motorbyclist
19th November 2007, 14:47

bastids.

well how would they know if you're sober/licenced/rego'd and wof'd without pulling you over? there's a reason they set up checkpoints you know ;)

darkwolf
19th November 2007, 17:08
The worst I ever had was about 3 years ago now. Very young and looking at a MKIV Toyota Supra Aerotop Twin turbo. (Yes in hind sight I was asking to be pulled over)

Anyway I'll continue, I drove the car for 30 mins and got pulled over 3 times for "Routine Checks". Completely put me off buying the car. That and the fact that they wouldn't insure a learner driver with a 276BHP 3.0L Twin Turbo. :(

HungusMaximist
19th November 2007, 19:34
^ I hope it's still not like this!

Get yourself a bike alreadly!

bikerboy011
11th December 2007, 00:29
iv been pulled over once in almost 2 years of riding for wearing my school jacket lmao

motorbyclist
11th December 2007, 10:05
pulled over for riding my fxr at 1am doing 70 in a 50 zone - they checked i had my full and sent me on my way:D

then the other week i got a $200 ticket for doing 122 on the motorway:weep:

cooneyr
11th December 2007, 13:21
....... It gets worse...The city council here were doing some sort of survey on Johns Road a couple of months ago. Signaling drivers to pull over then detaining them to fill in some damn form. .........

You don't have to fill the form in and they can't make you... and you can be on your way... and years a ago I remember there was something similar in the HB, a sent the the council a bill for my time they used and loss of profit...

I know exactly what these surveys are about, in fact I have just written the contract documents for a similar contract to be carried out in the Waikato early next year. Think of them as a Travel Census (do you complain about rights when filling in Census forms - well you probably do). Transit/Councils want to be able to plan for future roading improvements so do work to predict future traffic volumes, delays etc etc (this is what I do). I have use the data from the HB survey and the previous Chch survey (carried out in 1991)

With respect to stopping people on the road its just like road works. You can be delayed for up to 15 minutes without prior advertising (radio, paper etc) and just normal signage on site. From experience people completely loose the ability to judge time when stopped at a road works. Seen some seriously stupid (and funny) shit when on a job that requires the stopping of people.

Cheers R

Pancakes
11th December 2007, 15:17
............................ Seen some seriously stupid (and funny) shit when on a job that requires the stopping of people.

Cheers R

I think it's story time!

Kittyhawk
11th December 2007, 15:32

Yup they can do it...I got busted riding 10km/hr under the speed limit on ATNR on a gixer 600....said I was riding and didnt have confidence...asked for licence...bingo on a restricted...

only been riding 10+years, can go for my full now but still can't be arsed lol!

EnzoYug
6th January 2008, 23:51

Yup!
If a cop pulls your over and asks to search your person / vehicle you have the right to request they specify WHY they are searching you.

A cop cannot search you on suspicion of X (possession of drugs say) without advising you first that thats they're going to do. If you don't agree they can arrest you and do so anyway - HOWEVER they need to arrest you on suspicion of X and if they find Y then it doesn't count in court.

This is used to avoid "fishing" for evidence. The police are required to have a 'reasonable' reason for searching you / checking your lisence etc....

I don't think the make of your bike cuts it. That's stereotyping, aka. profiling.

(my 2cents. could be utter shit, who knows. I work in the teleco industry!)

Phurrball
7th January 2008, 18:16
To the best of my knowlege, the Police can't search you without your consent, or without a warrant unless authorised by statute (eg, the old fave - invoking the Misuse of Drugs act). Similarly, you could tell them to fark off if they come knocking on your door (unless they have a warrant or other statutory authorisation. Anyone is allowed to come to your door by way of implied licence, unless specifically revoked by signage or other clear communication)

The Police rely on cooperation (and ignorance of the right to refuse a search) to assist them in their ends to some extent.

If the police did detain and search you without your consent or a legal justification, that would fall foul of the NZ Bill of Rights Act 1990 (sections 21, 22.), being arbitrary detention, and could be subject to a number of legal remedies/consequences This act generally trumps other legislation: "the rights and freedoms contained in this Bill of Rights may be subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society."

But yep, they can stop you at random I fear, as they are legally permitted to.

If however, one was stopped too frequently to be reasonable (when an otherwise non-offender) merely because of the 'type' of vehicle one chose to pilot, that could form the basis of a legitimate complaint and actiom (eg get record lodged in police database not to hassle this vehicle as they've been asking searching questions aimed at natural justice/procedural fairness and waving the NZBORA around.)

This is all to the best of my recall of Criminal and Public law a couple of years back - I may not be entirely accurate, feel free to correct.

Ross.

Ixion
7th January 2008, 18:27
Yes, they may stop, but not search. The OP was about stopping , not searching. There is nothing to prevent them looking through windows though, once you a re stopped. Or sniffing. Good cops have big honkers I'm told. And they may detain you for up to 15 minutes to establish your identity if you are driving. Though not if you a re a passenger, he is entitled to get out and walk away.

But also remember that the police have an age old common law right to require anyone to give their name and address, and such other reasonable details as may identify them (usually occupation or date of birth).

Usually best to just be polite and comply with a reasonable request. Assuming you have nothing dodgy about you of course.

marty
7th January 2008, 18:36
Amended sections of the Crimes Act now allow stop and search without warrant. http://www.legislation.co.nz/libraries/contents/om_isapi.dll?clientID=612795506&hitsperheading=on&infobase=pal_statutes.nfo&jump=a1961-043%2fs.314b&softpage=DOC#JUMPDEST_a1961-043/s.314b is the authority

s114 of the LT Act only confers stopping authority for traffic matters.

Ixion
7th January 2008, 18:48
Not as I read that. There must still be a valid reason to search, under a statutory power. All that section does is allow the cops to stop the vehicle in order to exercise an existing statutory power to search without a warrant, if they have reasonable grounds to believe that eg the Arms Act or Misuse of Drugs Act provisions apply.

Any member of the Police may stop a vehicle for the purpose of conducting a search under a statutory search power if the member of the Police is satisfied that,—

(a)In respect of a statutory search power to search without a warrant, the ground or grounds, as the case may be, for exercising that statutory search power, as set out in the applicable statute, exist; or
(b)In respect of a statutory search power to search with a warrant, the warrant has been issued and is in force.

4)Every member of the Police exercising the stopping power conferred by subsection (1) must, immediately after the vehicle has stopped,—

(c)Tell the driver the statutory search power in respect of which the stopping power is being exercised; and

Highlights mine.

marty
7th January 2008, 18:56
I couldn't be bothered cutting and pasting. I thought it obvious that the search without warrant could only be invoked if a statutory power existed.

homer
7th January 2008, 19:46

UUUUmMmmMm

its a cop what do you think they cant stop you for

ElCoyote
7th January 2008, 20:13

All I can say is if you baaaaaa you deserve all you get. How many lives has Maurice Williamson's photo licence (Nazi id tattoo) saved. As of last year the answer is minus 30.

The gutless, apathetic New Zealand public allowed Williamson to pull the second biggest con in the history of this country.

The biggest con being the Erebus enquiry but that's another story again.

Laws were put in place because boy racers were a problem, and so were drunk drivers, and those persons were deprived of their transport. Did that reduce the road toll? it increased.

>50 Boy racers off the road each week-end and we continue to kill and maim people on a larger scale. Do the Cop's have it right. Hell NO.

Place a red light camera on each intersection and double demerit points for that offence. That would reduce deaths significantly (especially bikers) providing there was a corresponding follow up on unlicensed drivers.

Speed, per se, is not a significant contributor to accidents. LACK OF BASIC SKILLS is. Go figure.

Regarding the oft mentioned "alcohol played a factor" phrase, a certain ethnic group has the propensity to fall asleep in the middle of a buffalo stampede. When this happens at xx:00am after a party the excuse is alcohol related. Not he would go to sleep standing up and SOBER.

I am getting slightly off subject, so to regroup: We are entitled to go about our lawful business and travel unpeded on the Queens highway until an offence has been committed.

Focus on the cause not the result. :headbang:

scumdog
7th January 2008, 21:19
> to kill and maim people on a larger scale. Do the Cop's have it right. Hell NO.. :headbang:

EASY!
How about saying that again but using 'politicians and lawmakers' instead of cops??