PDA

View Full Version : removal of engine and gearbox on dr 200 1986

drclelnic
16th October 2007, 22:18
am trying to take the engine and gear box completely out but cannot get th bolt that runs through the main gearbox housing and the rear wheel supports out (back bottom mount) how am i supposed to do this???i assumed it would just slide out.,thankyou in advance,i dont have a workshop manual but may be some help??

Crisis management
17th October 2007, 07:48
Hacksaw the frame off?

Not sure about the little DR but generally these are steel bolts in an aluminium casing which, over time, corrodes together. The bolt should slide out but has probably frozen in place with corrosion.
Solutions usually involve brute force and a lot of swearing. (Instructions for swearing are generally found in the Rant and Rave forum).
I assume you have removed the nut from the end of the bolt, if not do that first (or at least loosen it). Try turning the bolt in the casing, anticlockwise first, as it may "screw" itself out. I would try a spanner on the bolt end and give it one or two sharp hard hits with a hammer (hit the spanner, trying to turn the bolt) and see if that breaks it lose.
Failing that, fit the nut back onto the bolt so it is flush with the end of the bolt and give it a hard smack with a hammer, trying to knock the bolt out. The reason you refit the nut is that hopefully it will protect the bolt thread from damage but you may need another nut after that.
Other options are to run the motor getting everything hot and trying to tap the bolt free then (aluminium and steel expand at different rates and it may be enough to break the corrosion free). Soaking with CRC over a few days may help as well.
Unfortunately you have to experiment with these options until something works, just remember if you are going to hit something, one big hit is far better than lots of little ones, the shock will break stuff lose where small hits will just burr the ends over.

Good luck.

FROSTY
17th October 2007, 19:48
Basicly dude you have 21 years of neglect and cow poo glueing the darn thing in place. Definittely soak the whole plot in WD40 or CRC556
Then Id bung a socket on the bolt head andgive it a decent belt with aclub hammer. Loosen off the nuton the other end and dothe samething
removethe nut.Use a smaller diameter bolt as a drift and belt the living shitouta the bolt untillit starts to move.
Once you haveit out itll be pretty rusty -cleanitup with wet and dry 400 grit .Once its shiney and clean again coatitin grease

MVnut
17th October 2007, 20:59
If you still have problems, get Frosty's 8 year old to dismantle it for you:banana:

drclelnic
17th October 2007, 21:36
ive tryed my best to get it out brught force and ignorance and still no luck manged to rotate it back and forth and even hiting it it through about 10mm each way but wont go any further should i give up???? itseems free but there must be something stoping it some where???

dickytoo
18th October 2007, 13:30
is the engine resting on that bolt?

take the weight of the bolt and try again. if you've taken all the other bolts off and that's the last one, the whole weight of the engine will be resting on the bolt.