PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting a Zeal clutch

RonR
19th October 2007, 12:16
hey all,

I have a little too much freeplay in the clutch handle (about 6-7mm) and the adjusting screw on the handle is nearly all the way out and can't be tightened anymore. Is there a way to adjust the tightness of the clutch cable, maybe on the engine side? Without ripping the engine apart...?? The service manual for the FZR400 shows an adjusting screw and nut on the engine, but i can't find one on my Zeal. Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers

Ron

MSTRS
19th October 2007, 12:19
Cable may be beyond adjustment tolerances. Replace. Or if possible you could fit a small shim on the nipple at one or other end?

skidMark
19th October 2007, 12:23
Use a spanner. lol

ummm well uve got the manual now go look at the bike...look harder...also check the cable...maybe an adjustor in the middle somewhere...otherwise take it to a shop and ask a bike mechanic

Jeaves
19th October 2007, 20:25
the other adjustment end is right next to your l/h eng mount - look at your idle adjust screw , then peer 70mm to the left .

I have the Zeal w/shop manual , let me know if you need the freeplay specs.

RonR
19th October 2007, 21:58
hi jeaves,

is the other adjustment on the clutch cable itself? A couple inches from the end of the cable there is a long hex-nut that the cable goes through. Is this the one you're talking about? Sorry to bother you about this. Is the photo right?

Cheers

Ron

Jeaves
19th October 2007, 22:08
yep thats the one dude.

RonR
20th October 2007, 10:11
thanks for that Jeaves. Adjusting that screw worked just fine. :niceone: