PDA

View Full Version : Skipping a gear when changing down

HTFU
19th October 2007, 19:37
Wanting to know if it is possible for a bikes transmission to skip a gear when you are changing down e.g when changing from 4th to 3rd it gets into second.

On my way back from whitebaiting today (3 pound of fishy gold ) I was really enjoying the twisties out the back of Waitomo until one very tight corner.

I tend to use the brakes more than engine brake, then down shift one gear at a time as the braking scrubs off the speed for each gear. On this one particular corner I was hard on the brakes and shifted down, released the clutch like I have for the last year of riding and the back locked up something savage and with a heap of engine braking. GPX does not have a gear indicator and I was too shocked to remember what gear I was in.

I wasn't reving high as I came up to the corner in a highish gear, the GPX has six so it would have been 5th or 4th, changed down once and then stacks on the mill, have a feeling it must of somehow got into 2nd. I don't do the blip the throttle thing as I always brake enough before downshifting, but in this case had braked sufficiently to change down 1 gear, so that shouldn't have been an issue as it hasn't been for over a year .

Its normally the whitebaiting thats a puzzle but today it was the ride home.

Any thoughts appreciated

roadracingoldfart
19th October 2007, 21:38
Bikes have a sequensual (wheres my dictionary) so to skip to a lower gear you have to actually depress the lever with your foot. Unless you have a very worn box.
I sometimes do just that when racing as i go into a braking area and brake hard downshifting 3 gears in a row. Its a funy feeling to have the back wheel lock up mid corner and i suggest avoiding it.
Monitor the gearbox and see if it continues to happen, id hazzard to guess it wont and probably hasnt happened before.
Cheers Paul.