PDA

View Full Version : Constant throttle considered harmful?

xwhatsit
23rd October 2007, 14:20
Interesting reading with the poor bastard whose RS250 shagged out just after buying it. In particular that thing about 2-strokes, and not running them with constant throttle was mentioned.

I'm going to take a guess and presume that constant throttle and 2-strokes is because of the oil pump situation -- grab a handful of throttle and more oil is squirted in. Am I on the right track?

So, by that line of thinking, is there anything wrong with long periods of constant throttle on a 4-stroke? With the (much) taller gearing in my little CB, it'll hum along on a flat motorway all day at 110kph with roughly 1/3rd-half throttle. Pick a position and it'll just sit there, happy as Larry, for as long as I don't fall asleep.

Am I causing damage by riding like this? Should I grab a handful every now and again? Pull in the clutch and let the engine spin down?

Squiggles
23rd October 2007, 14:45
I believe its been mentioned before, as i remember reading it and the general view was that it was something to do with the temperature inside the motor and how it would stabilise if you left it at constant throttle, not sure why this was bad but i think it led to seizure...

Edit: Ah, wasnt temperature at all, but here's the thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=13317&highlight=Constant+throttle+stroke
interesting....