PDA

View Full Version : I need help please

Xcell
24th October 2007, 07:41
Hey guys, I got an old midi moto today from a friend as a project, I have never had one before so I don't know what is what and what I need to fix.
I have some pictures, If anyone could, could you please tell me what I need to get to fix that?

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2169/image016ie8.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8674/image017kk3.jpg
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/18/image019iy6.jpg
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8427/image018wg0.jpg

It may be the pull cord which needs to go on there? Since theres no other way to start it up.
Thanks =]

Colapop
24th October 2007, 07:42
A big hammer and a bin...

Xcell
24th October 2007, 07:55
Serious answers please..

Steam
24th October 2007, 08:00
First, you need to go out and buy a new camera. Then post up some nice hi-res pics so more can be seen than grainy blur.
SOrry to be harsh but ya can't see much from those photos.

Xcell
24th October 2007, 09:07
Sorry they were taken on my phone, I will take some with my camera soon.
=]

motorbyclist
24th October 2007, 14:39
from what i can see i have the exact model, but maybe the muffler is different....

yeah the pullstart goes on the flywheel there, use a decent rope cause you'll be doing alot of pulling. do you know if it runs?i haven't been able to start mine for a while now.

and whatever you do, DO NOT use a power drill with a socket attachment to start the engine by spinning the flywheel at the bolt that secures it. the bolt head will just shear off:doh::whistle:

Xcell
25th October 2007, 00:22
Yes its a custom muffler, could you tel me what model this is? I cant seem to find the model anywhere, going to buy a pullstart today.

motorbyclist
25th October 2007, 00:36
"shitty chinese model" as far as i know.....

Xcell
25th October 2007, 00:46
So its rubbish? Lol?

I just want to know if it will move? :P

And oh yes, what fuel do i need?

2 Stroke? Petrol?
Im not sure.

motorbyclist
25th October 2007, 01:00
quality is absolute shit. they are fun to ride, but my one has spent too long in the shed in too many pieces. maybe i just got a dud, i dunno, but i'm glad it was only $200. if i were to do it again i'd save up for a quality one or spend the money on either of my real bikes.

2 smoke, premix, so you'll need 2-smoke oil and some petrol... i'm tempted to swap out my engine for a 47cc stihl chainsaw one, or a 4stroke honda scrub-bar engine - but that's only if i cant get this one going again....

the original plan in buying it was to convert it to electric, so that might well happen if i can't afford the lithium for an fxr conversion... we'll see after exams i guess

Xcell
25th October 2007, 01:05
Is 2-Smoke the same as 2-Stroke? I live in England near London so it may be different?

motorbyclist
25th October 2007, 01:23
lol yeah they're the same.... i tell you these things leave pretty impressive blue trails everywhere.

personally, i would prefer it to be a four stroke, but then again it's chinese so you really want as few components as possible:laugh:

Coyote
25th October 2007, 06:03
quality is absolute shit. they are fun to ride, but my one has spent too long in the shed in too many pieces. maybe i just got a dud, i dunno, but i'm glad it was only $200. if i were to do it again i'd save up for a quality one or spend the money on either of my real bikes.

2 smoke, premix, so you'll need 2-smoke oil and some petrol... i'm tempted to swap out my engine for a 47cc stihl chainsaw one, or a 4stroke honda scrub-bar engine - but that's only if i cant get this one going again....

the original plan in buying it was to convert it to electric, so that might well happen if i can't afford the lithium for an fxr conversion... we'll see after exams i guess
Quality costs a few grand. A Blata Oragami B1 costs $8000 :shit:

I was told to run around a 20:1 mix (fuel : oil). Seems to go ok.

If I had the money, I'd be keen on a 60-80cc Motocross engine. That'd be wild. Or even a 125 :p

Where can you get a good performance electric motor and running gear from anyway? The minimoto I got came with a spare rolling chassis (does have the bottom end of an engine) and I was thinking an electric project might be fun

motorbyclist
25th October 2007, 22:01
Where can you get a good performance electric motor and running gear from anyway? The minimoto I got came with a spare rolling chassis (does have the bottom end of an engine) and I was thinking an electric project might be fun

lol the states/ebay is a good source.... try here (http://www.electricmotorsport.com/PARTS/parts.htm), or maybe go pull apart an electric moped if you can find a wrecked one

if you haven't done it before it's alot more complicated than you'd think, and a bit more viable to do it to a bigger bike like a CB or FXR.... and remember that petrol power ratings are peak values, while electric are "constant load" values with all sorts of torque curves depending on the motor and application. the stuff i've learnt this semester on the internet and studying engineering at uni is quite amazing - but when i think about it, in 50 years time a student converting his electric to petrol will probably be saying the same thing!

Coyote
26th October 2007, 06:31
lol the states/ebay is a good source.... try here (http://www.electricmotorsport.com/PARTS/parts.htm), or maybe go pull apart an electric moped if you can find a wrecked one

if you haven't done it before it's alot more complicated than you'd think, and a bit more viable to do it to a bigger bike like a CB or FXR.... and remember that petrol power ratings are peak values, while electric are "constant load" values with all sorts of torque curves depending on the motor and application. the stuff i've learnt this semester on the internet and studying engineering at uni is quite amazing - but when i think about it, in 50 years time a student converting his electric to petrol will probably be saying the same thing!
When I can afford it, I'll budget around $500 and I'll see about getting either an old motocross engine or some electric wreck.

Shame I suck at maths, can't study engineering now. School has been a disaster

newmanz
28th October 2007, 18:39
First thing just get a pullstarter, there are 2 models for that engine.
The cheaper plastic units approx $25-$35, or the aluminium heavy duty ones with the aluminium pullstart claw approx $45-$55 (yes there are cheaper quality ones, but gereraly speaking...cheap = crap.

Once you got pullstart bolted on its time to check for spark.. DO NOT TRY ANYTHING ELSE BEFORE YOU DO THIS !!!!

Remove sparkplug lead, unscrew sparkplug from engine... put sparkplug back into lead and rest the sparkplug up against the engine so that you can see the electrode tip (end of sparkplug that goes ...bzzzzzzzz.. with a spark)

Next crank over the pullstarter while watching the sparkplug...if you see a spark, then your Coil and electric system is fine.... if no spark then you need new coil approx $28
Make sure you clean the sparkplug with some fine wet/dry sand paper or use a new one before replacing back into engine

Next, put a 25:1 mix (25 part of fuel to 1 part of 2 stroke oil) into your fuel tank, check there are no leaks from your fuel hose, filter or carburetor tap... if carb leaks... just buy a new OEM one $38

Check that your throttle cable returns easy, if not, take apart the throttle controller and squirt some CRC onto cable.

Now your ready to party.... put choke on, apply little bit of juice and pull away...

If the bike wont start after about 10 pulls, then remove sparkplug, clean it and pullstart with the plug out once or twice...this will flush any fuel out of the sparkplug hole..

Biggest mistake most do is keep pulling... it fills the engine up with fuel, increasing the compression ratio and then....snap...oh dear my pullstart broke... must be that cheap chinese quality...wrong.. its just you dont know nothin bout enginz drongo !!!!!!

All the best... gota start somewhere.:jerry:

Xcell
29th October 2007, 09:04
Thanks alot Newmanz!!
That helped me alot, and probably prevented me from breaking it when I get the things since I know nothing about motorbikes! :hug:

Thanks again =P