PDA

View Full Version : xr250 - grey oil

Scheme
24th October 2007, 20:21
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the scene and just bought an 87 honda xr250 on Saturday. Went out for a few rides over the weekend and did an oil change today - I drained the original lot which was very grey/milky it wasnt creamy/white like water and oil usually make, but a dark grey, filled it up with fresh oil, ran it for 5 checked it and had gone the same colour, so I repeated the process (left the bung out for a good hour) filled it up again with fresh oil, ran it for a few minutes and had returned to the grey colour again. I drowned the bike pretty well on Monday, and I've removed the air cleaner soaked it in solvent and washed it out, re-oiled it and put it back in. I would of thought with 2 oil changes any water left in the system would of been rid of? Is there something else that may be doing it? any help appreciated, cheers.

kiwi cowboy
24th October 2007, 20:37
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the scene and just bought an 87 honda xr250 on Saturday. Went out for a few rides over the weekend and did an oil change today - I drained the original lot which was very grey/milky it wasnt creamy/white like water and oil usually make, but a dark grey, filled it up with fresh oil, ran it for 5 checked it and had gone the same colour, so I repeated the process (left the bung out for a good hour) filled it up again with fresh oil, ran it for a few minutes and had returned to the grey colour again. I drowned the bike pretty well on Monday, and I've removed the air cleaner soaked it in solvent and washed it out, re-oiled it and put it back in. I would of thought with 2 oil changes any water left in the system would of been rid of? Is there something else that may be doing it? any help appreciated, cheers.
was the oridginal oil grey when you got it ?

merv
24th October 2007, 20:43
What sort of water you drown it in? Clean water or slushy muck with grey stuff in it?

Otherwise grey can be a sign of aluminium particles - depends how grey and does it look metallic i.e. glittery. Could be cam chain tensioner issues allowing the chain to wipe alloy off the chain tower. Was the engine noisy as in clattery?

However, here's hoping it is just mucky water that did it. Run it a while and try clean oil again.

laRIKin
24th October 2007, 20:44
You have to get the motor hot between oil changers.
This helps to evaporate the water out of the motor as well.
It does not take much water in the oil to change the colour of the oil to white or grey.

So far you have done the right thing by quick oil changers to get most of the water out.
But you want to do a change the oil straight away or you can get the main bearings etc rusting.
And that shortens there life span to about 30 minutes.

So now I would start the bike and get it real hot (do not have to ride it, just rev it to get hot) and do another oil change.
If the colour is near normal I would take for a good ride and change the oil again.
And that is all you can do until it comes right.
And hope it is all OK in the motor.

homer
24th October 2007, 21:43
hi
I drowned my klr250 i had years ago hit a big rock and dumped it in the river i had i recken about 7 litres of water and oil in the bike me and a mate tiped it up on the back wheel and the water kept draining out
took 3 and a half hours inthe river bed pulling it to bits to empty water out of everywhere
I then got it going rode it home way over full of water and oil
when i drained it it was white
I got cheap car oil about 20 bucks a 4 litre and did what you have
quick oil changes to get the moisture out
Well about i think it was 16 - 20 litres 2 of the last changes were good motorcycle oil about 500km apart it was actually clean as it should be .
It just takes time change it ride it 4 say 15 mins
change it
keep doing it it will be fine .

Scheme
25th October 2007, 06:50
I actually didnt look at the oil when I bought it, duh. it was dorwned completely underwater for a few minutes.. water was relatively clear, stony bottom. Motor doesn't rattle. I've lef tthe bung out overnight with the plug out, I'll throw in another fresh batch this afternoon and take it for a fangin and change it again, cheers. Oh, definately doesnt appear to have metal particles in it.

merv
25th October 2007, 06:55
Oh, definately doesnt appear to have metal particles in it.

You should be sweet then once you can get it cleaned out.