PDA

View Full Version : GN cuts out, and backfires!

Ragingrob
26th October 2007, 19:21
OK, this was not fun...Twice this week I've been cruising along at 100 and the bike seems to cut out, loses all power, throttle doesn't do a thing etc, when I come to a stop it starts up again and goes fine.

The first time when I came to a stop the bike backfired!

2nd time was on the motorway and not a great feeling!

Any idea what I should take a look at? I'm assuming the battery's fine as it starts fine.

All help will be greatly appreciated! Would prefer to go 100 knowing the bike's not just gonna conk out:(.

Oh and something else that may be related to this all is that sometimes when I start it up, always let it warm up a bit first, then when I start heading off in 1st gear and pull the throttle back there's a slight loss of power revs die a bit and then it speeds up. Sometimes even when in 2nd gear I throttle back and there's a slight loss of power again. Any ideas??!! Fuel blockage?

Ragingrob
26th October 2007, 20:17
One thing I have noticed is a small split on the fuel line, although it's above where it's held on and therefore doesn't leak...May this be a problem though?

Terminated
26th October 2007, 20:33
Have you cleaned the air filter recently?

Pretty straight forward to clean in kerosene and then lube with filter oil.

Heads Up and Enjoy

Ragingrob
26th October 2007, 20:49
Hmmm alright...I'm trying to decide whether I should just get it professionally serviced, as it's leaking a tiny bit of oil from a gasket gone I think too...Although half of me wants to wait till after exams and go to a KBs place for a day and completely service it with him, that way I'd learn it all too. Although professionals are professionals. I dunno.

NotaGoth
26th October 2007, 21:04
Riding along on the RG, my bike would just up and cut out. Take note as to what your lights, indicators etc are doing. On mine they would die and my engine would die. Bike would coast to a stop. Turn key off, then back on and it would start again straight away. Fairly positive it was caused by the ignition. If I wiggled the key it would cough, splutter, backfire, or shut off completely. (I wasn't wiggling it in the direction you would normally turn it, just so you don't think I'm thick as shit lol)

Squiggles
26th October 2007, 21:12
charged the batt since you came around?

surfer
26th October 2007, 21:15
OK, this was not fun...Twice this week I've been cruising along at 100 and the bike seems to cut out, loses all power, throttle doesn't do a thing etc, when I come to a stop it starts up again and goes fine.

The first time when I came to a stop the bike backfired!

2nd time was on the motorway and not a great feeling!

Any idea what I should take a look at? I'm assuming the battery's fine as it starts fine.

All help will be greatly appreciated! Would prefer to go 100 knowing the bike's not just gonna conk out:(.

Oh and something else that may be related to this all is that sometimes when I start it up, always let it warm up a bit first, then when I start heading off in 1st gear and pull the throttle back there's a slight loss of power revs die a bit and then it speeds up. Sometimes even when in 2nd gear I throttle back and there's a slight loss of power again. Any ideas??!! Fuel blockage?

Don't you just hate it when this happens? Not good for you to grind to a halt especially if you are making a passing manouvere.

When was the last time the bike was serviced? I expect most of the problem you are experiencing will dissappear once you have serviced it.

When was the last time the plugs were changed, the air filter cleaned, ht leads replaced?

Do you have access to a multimeter? It would also be good to check the battery to make sure that it is ok and being charged up alright. Also check the levels and top up with distilled water not tap water.

If it still miss-behaves after this then time to look at other stuff. Come back and let us know how you get on with it all.

Good luck and enjoy getting to know your bike.

Ragingrob
27th October 2007, 09:03
charged the batt since you came around?

Hey na I thought we had a battery charger but we don't lol :). But I thought once the bike's running it doesn't need the use of a battery?

Squiggles
27th October 2007, 09:18
i had a weak batt once and it'd cut out occasionally, or miss, when i was revving it out at 100 with lights on and indicators flashing
Charge it anyway as it wasnt that healthy when ya came round ;)

HT leads were good and spark was changed recently for all the others

I'd say start with the batt and move from there :)

twinkle
27th October 2007, 09:52
This might help you. You will need a multimeter:wari:

Drew
27th October 2007, 10:03
My only guesses are the ignition switch, (less likely) or the coil. A rooted coil will often run fine untill it heats up, (they all heat up, it's normal), then shut down. If this is the problem, it is very hard to diagnose untill it gives out completely. I'm fairly mechanically minded, and have a mate that owns a wreckers yard, so I'd just replace it and wait to see if it happens again.

Intermittant electrical faults are an absolute bitch to find sometimes, because like you said, after it stops you can start it again no worries.

Coils are cheep, and easy to change.

My two cents, hope it helps.

Squiggles
27th October 2007, 10:07
My only guesses are the ignition switch, (less likely) or the coil. A rooted coil will often run fine untill it heats up, (they all heat up, it's normal), then shut down. If this is the problem, it is very hard to diagnose untill it gives out completely. I'm fairly mechanically minded, and have a mate that owns a wreckers yard, so I'd just replace it and wait to see if it happens again.

Intermittant electrical faults are an absolute bitch to find sometimes, because like you said, after it stops you can start it again no worries.

I thought coils but if it happens when they heat up then why is it fine immediately after.... I've got a spare coil you could try though Rob :yes:

Ragingrob
27th October 2007, 10:11
Wow thanks for all the feedback guys! All ideas I'll be trying haha with the help of others hopefully, after exams :). One thing is there's a little split in the fuel hose and I thought maybe if that sucks in any air it'd lose all power, and also lead to a backfire maybe?

So many possibilities! Also if there's any sediment in the fuel tank perhaps it's clogging it up and then unclogs when I release the throttle?

Drew
27th October 2007, 10:13
I thought coils but if it happens when they heat up then why is it fine immediately after.... I've got a spare coil you could try though Rob :yes:

I thought it wouldn't work again straight away too, untill my ute started displaying some very classic fueling symptoms, weeks and weeks later a new coil had it running mint.

No two coils do the same thing on thier way out, untill the day they give up altogether. I'm fairly sure it will be the problem.

HTFU
27th October 2007, 19:53
the fuel hose and I thought maybe if that sucks in any air it'd lose all power,

Couldn't be bothered checking rest of posts, but did you try some tape around the split.

Where as I would buy the naked GT250, u can get them for 5,600 brand new including on road ohh yeah

Found this on another post regarding your new bike possibilities. Worth a look, not sure where though. If you are tall would be a good choice of bike for little money.

Good luck with exams my Missus just finished hers on Friday.

homer
27th October 2007, 20:58
Think you need a new spark plug
my dads bike did the same thing the few weeks ago its a 400 inline 4
and it had a broken spark plug down in the porclin
try that first
check the plug cap as well if it was going fine id guess thats what itll be

Drew
27th October 2007, 23:23
Think you need a new spark plug
my dads bike did the same thing the few weeks ago its a 400 inline 4
and it had a broken spark plug down in the porclin
try that first
check the plug cap as well if it was going fine id guess thats what itll be

Good thinking, it didn't occur to me, but that could very well be the weak link.

Ragingrob
28th October 2007, 09:30
Hmmm well got a new spark plug in only 3 weeks ago...so maybe not? I've filled up the water in the battery, and I'll put some tape around the split, and see how it goes :)

Ragingrob
28th October 2007, 16:39
LATEST NEWS : No cut outs lately thank god, had a bit of trouble starting today though. So I've filled and charged the battery completely, gave the air cleaner a look into and blew a bit of crap out lol, taped around the split in fuel hose, CRC'd all the chrome to make it shiny and protect :P, and sprayed some CRC engine starter into the air cleaner.

Engine started first time no throttle whatsoever and held its revs. So it's looking good so far, we'll see how it is in the morning.

TO DO LIST :

Replace fuel hose - Can I just go to repco or something?

Replace oil and oil filter - Twinkle is gonna help me after exams :). Oh but what oil should I use? Castrol GSR? What ratio?

Replace oil cap gasket as it's leaking a little - Do I buy a new one or just get some gasket paper from a mate and cut one out?

Get a new rear tyre - Where's a good place that will help me out with that in aucks that's not too pricey but has decent tyres?

Get a new WOF next month - Recommend any places?

Get a new rego next month.

:) So I'm gonna be busy for a while! And have an empty pocket :(.

Haha thanks for all your help guys with all my problems. :2thumbsup

Ragingrob
31st October 2007, 20:18
*Bump*

10char

Squiggles
31st October 2007, 21:05
Replace fuel hose - Can I just go to repco or something?

Yep, last time i needed some hose the guy just cut me off that 10cm piece no charge

Replace oil and oil filter - Twinkle is gonna help me after exams :). Oh but what oil should I use? Castrol GSR? What ratio?

I use motul semi synth, should be 10w40 for you

Replace oil cap gasket as it's leaking a little - Do I buy a new one or just get some gasket paper from a mate and cut one out?

Oil cap gasket leaking????? the filler cap or the drain plug? never heard of the filler cap gasket leaking, it being a wee oring that doesnt come under pressure and everything...

Get a new rear tyre - Where's a good place that will help me out with that in aucks that's not too pricey but has decent tyres?

Cycletreads? Last rear i had put on my gn was just over a hundred i think...

Get a new WOF next month - Recommend any places?

I just use the AA down the road

Ragingrob
1st November 2007, 07:20
Yep, last time i needed some hose the guy just cut me off that 10cm piece no charge

Oil cap gasket leaking????? the filler cap or the drain plug? never heard of the filler cap gasket leaking, it being a wee oring that doesnt come under pressure and everything...

Um the drain plug. Well I'll try describe it. OK so there's the drain plug underneath the bike right on the middle of a kinda squarish metal thing screwed on, well that's where it's leaking from, around the edge of the thing that the drain is in the middle of :(:rolleyes:

Squiggles
1st November 2007, 10:06
should be a wee oring that'll go on it when you put it back in (after changing the oil) unless its been over torqued and rooted the thread (in which case will need to be tapped but still not that much of a major

Suspect it'll just need a wee oring though :niceone:

paddyrider
1st November 2007, 13:40
i had a similar problem on mine, it turned out to be the cable connection to the starter. i cleaned the connection and no problems since.

Ragingrob
1st November 2007, 16:26
should be a wee oring that'll go on it when you put it back in (after changing the oil) unless its been over torqued and rooted the thread (in which case will need to be tapped but still not that much of a major

Suspect it'll just need a wee oring though :niceone:

I'm not meaning it's leaking from around the plug, but around big square thing bolted on in which the drain plug screws into. Is that what you mean anyway lol?

rphenix
1st November 2007, 19:31

Once I was fixing up an old CBR it kept cutting out on me I tried all sorts (coil, battery, spark plug replaced...) until I finally decided to just rewire the entire bike lol! a bit extreme but I just couldn't find the fault I would have loved to know what the cause was that was back where I was time rich and cash poor (school days).