PDA

View Full Version : A study of motorcycle oils

Yellow Streak
4th November 2007, 18:40
What a massive study! Any opinions from my esteemed peers?

www.jdmlubricants.co.nz/a-study-of-motorcycle-oils-xidc21616.html

The Stranger
4th November 2007, 18:53
Who would have thought, a HD pulls even less HP per CI than a Ford.

klyong82
5th November 2007, 12:03
Yikes looks like Amsoil the oil to go which also seems to be the popular choice in Europe. I have only used Motul semi-sync. on all my bikes. Very surprise with the result for Castrol GPS and I know alot of KB's use that.

I also realised the report was written for Amsoil so raises reliability of the study.

jonbuoy
5th November 2007, 13:39
I convinced myself it was better to buy cheaper oil and change it twice as often.

NighthawkNZ
5th November 2007, 13:46
ah too much reading and numbers and stuff...

twinkle
5th November 2007, 13:48
I wonder how much difference that ester stuff that is supposed to be good for cold starting makes in the long run to engine wear?

homer
5th November 2007, 21:11
whats wrong with shell vmx

Most tests can always be made to show a product to be better than any other
......like smoking causes cancer .
or to much beer will give you heart attack or some other shit

What ever happened dura lube or bi tron
the stuff thats ment to make your car better cheaper to run ?
Well one of them stuffs you engine head so thats a start .
Best thing to do change the oil regular
Like about 3000 - 4000 km
In you car how often do you change the oil ?
and your car does less revs and in some cases a bigger motor.
Makes sense to me to change it sooner
bike does 4000 rpm at 110kph and car i have does 2200rpm at 110kph
I change car oil at aprox 8000km
and oils cheap when you really think about it

The Pastor
5th November 2007, 21:36
Its funny how there product is number 1 aye.

The Stranger
5th November 2007, 23:46
Any opinions from my esteemed peers?

Henderson Motorcycles use Motul and changed the oil in the Fazer at 1,000km, 3,500km and 8,000km.
Gearbox was clunky from day one until I changed to AMSOIL full synthetic at 9,500km, it's now smooth as silk.
I'll stick with the AMSOIL thanks.

Study may be bogus, you never really know, but normally you will someone refute it if there is room for error. I haven't seen anyone knock this study so far.

Max Preload
10th November 2007, 22:06
To be fair, GPS is the middle of the range Castrol oil at about $50 for 4L whereas the Amsoil MCF is $100. They should have run the comparison against Castrol R4.

They should also use graphs with y-axis' that extends to zero so as not to over accentuate minor differences. That's the oldest trick in the book and doesn't do much for credibility.

avgas
10th November 2007, 22:18
I'm running a flush of Gull Diesel oil right now. Nothing like running a bike onliquid with the same consitancy as detergent.
but its doing its job of giving the insides a good clean for me.
Where can we get Amsoil from, as i wouldn't mind changing to it after the flush.

Max Preload
10th November 2007, 22:22
Where can we get Amsoil from, as I wouldn't mind changing to it after the flush.

Here. (http://www.jdmlubricants.co.nz/motorcycle-oils-xidg12556.html)

MotoKuzzi
11th November 2007, 11:03
I dont know a lot about oils but I understand some good oils are castor based and are attracted to heat rather than repelled. High quality filtration is probably as important as any thing else. Some of those vehicles that supposedly get high mileage from the likes of Amsoil also run bypass filters that help keep it clean.

tri boy
11th November 2007, 11:15
Amsoil is a fine product. But I personally wouldn't use it in a new engine. A extremely experienced agent of the product has cautioned me, that the engine will struggle to "BED" in properly due to its efficient metal protection additives.
Fine to use in all other applications though.
As a side note, I rely more on SAE reports. (Society Automotive Engineers).
And API. (American Petroleum Institute).
These are the institutes that rate oils. 15w30, EP90 etc.

Oops, did I put my foot in my mouth? Was this a sanctioned test, or a sponsored one?.......goes to sit in the corner at the back of the class.

avgas
13th November 2007, 15:38
Here. (http://www.jdmlubricants.co.nz/motorcycle-oils-xidg12556.html)
You know what i was going to buy right then and there, then i click on the main page and looked at the bottom.
Beware of the Boyd!
Its a rat thing

Bonez
13th November 2007, 16:17
I'll keep buying mine for around $14 for 4 ltr and change it, as well as the filter, every 3000-5000kms thank you.

darkwolf
13th November 2007, 20:22
I have no experience with bikes and enough I guess to throw in my 2c when it comes to engines and oils etc.

It's my understanding that certain oils display different properties. For instance while something like Castrol Edge might be a synthetic oil that provides better lubrication for the engine it also lacks the heat dissipation properties provided by a semi-synthetic (protec) or mineral oil.

Again my understanding is that while your owners manual will provide the correct viscosity levels that you'll be requiring for your bike they often don't specify which type of oil to use.

Basically my point is: Some oils may provide a show a better viscosity consistency (or whatever you might want to call it) only because the oil isn't removing the heat from other parts of the engine as efficiently as others might, and while they may display an increase in horsepower it may be hiding an increased amount of wear due to heat or lesser protection