PDA

View Full Version : RG150 lacking power?

adamh
5th November 2007, 16:07
Hi every1 I just bought a 1999 rg150 and thought I'd see how fast it goes ;) everything was sweet at the start but when I got to 6th gear after touching redline in 5th it did'nt go any faster. All it did was stay at about 10,000 revs out of a 13,000 redline and it was sitting at about 165kmph....:yawn: I gave kiwifruit a ride and the same thing happened to him and he said it was the rings are worn and it should be $100 to replace but the mechanic said $300.
Has this lack of power happened to any1 else and found it to be a different problem?

kiwifruit
5th November 2007, 16:11
Rebuild it! Before its too late :yes:

165 *indicated* btw :bleh:

F5 Dave
5th November 2007, 16:58
They're fairly well known for dropping the powervalve into the piston. Do a search on this site on RG150. It probably won't be good news, but if you get in quick the damage may be less than if you wait.

adamh
5th November 2007, 17:16

If I had $300 to get it fixed I would but I don't get why it's $300 cause 2 stroke engines are simple to put together.

kiwifruit
5th November 2007, 17:21
I don't get why it's $300 cause 2 stroke engines are simple to put together.

do it yerself then mr

adamh
5th November 2007, 17:28
do it yerself then mr

I was originally thinking that actually ;)

kiwifruit
5th November 2007, 17:32
good man :)

F5 Dave
6th November 2007, 09:37
Well yes they are easy to work on the top end, but I'd be pulling it apart before arbitrarily buying some rings & hoping that is it. In fact I'll tell you now it isn't the rings (at least by themselves). Rings don't wear out all of a sudden & they don't break without help from other factors since the days of cast rings.

two likely options.
1. Minor seizure which smears the piston over the rings reducing compression. Likely to happen again & worse if so.
2. Powervalve dropped into piston causing the same effect.

Why would it cost $300? Well that's 2hrs work & $170 parts. You'd be pretty stoked if he managed it in that time without stuffing it up. But more damage will mean more parts & more time.

Coyote
6th November 2007, 10:00
$300 includes labour. Do it yourself, I did and it ran sweet untill the big end blew (roughly) 15,000kms later

ZeroIndex
6th November 2007, 10:30

Yeah, mine *indicated* 180 at the top of 6th gear, when FzerozeroT pulled up besides me and worded out with his hand that I was doing 140... then his front wheel popped into the air and I was looking at the reflection of his taillight on the road as he disappeared into the distance... it was fun anyway :)

Tim 39
18th November 2007, 16:47
parts for them are rediculously expensive, especially powervalves, water pump seals and piston kits

FruitLooPs
19th November 2007, 00:08
parts for them are rediculously expensive, especially powervalves, water pump seals and piston kits

Yeah not very cheap, powervalves nearly knocked me for six when I got replacements. :blink:

I know Oyster was developing some that would do the trick at one point, for a pretty penny cheaper if they work out - not sure if he has finished testing though.

My RG has maybe 6,000kms after rebuild I dont think it would reach much more than 170 indicated. They do more than 140km/hr, vtr250's top out around that indicated (afaik they dont overread by much or any) and an rg will hoon straight past.

I reckon 150, maybe 155 at a push. As for revving out, mine won't rev out on its own in 6th unless its been taken over about 10-11k in 5th. Your bike should rev out, something will be wrong. If it drops out of the powerband at highspeed it won't rev out to save its life.

I'd go with minor seizure or scuffing, mine was like that when I got it - along with a broken powervalve, still went pretty well considering (well enough i didnt realise it was rooted when i purchased :crazy: ) one of the rings was pinched by the piston etc, still kick started on 2nd or 3rd go.

skidMark
19th November 2007, 01:15
If I had $300 to get it fixed I would but I don't get why it's $300 cause 2 stroke engines are simple to put together.

gunna cost u a shitload more than 300 bucks if u don't fix it asap...cus if it goes abng it's gunna do it good n proper.

quallman1234
26th November 2007, 19:42
Mine's lacking power as well.

Got the powervavles set back to what they should be.
and no improvment.

Compared to koba's one its nothing. Hmm might be the spark plug or rings.

But the thing is it always starts first kick.

McJim
26th November 2007, 19:50
Jeaves locked his powervalves in place to save money fixing them. He locked them in 'power' position so the bike doesn't generate as much low down torque any more but the top end is still there....cheap solution to the PV problem but not really an ideal fix.

adamh
27th November 2007, 18:53
I reckon 150, maybe 155 at a push. As for revving out, mine won't rev out on its own in 6th unless its been taken over about 10-11k in 5th. Your bike should rev out, something will be wrong. If it drops out of the powerband at highspeed it won't rev out to save its life.

Well I redline it in 5th then change to 6th and it drops to 10k but as I'm going along it slowly drops to about 8.5k and the speed slowly drops to.

Even with this problem i had it at *indicated* 175 the other day :wari:....but just for a second then it just slowed down... that was going down hill slightly.

As for it turning over it used to turn over first kick everytime but now that i fouled the spark plugs and got new ones it takes 2 or 3 when its cold with choke on.

Rosie
28th November 2007, 08:06
Even with this problem i had it at *indicated* 175 the other day :wari:....but just for a second then it just slowed down... that was going down hill slightly.

Do you have an idea of how accurate your speedo is? The speedo on my KR was horrific. It indicated 140 when doing a bit less than 110. Took a little while to get used to riding past speed cameras doing "140" :laugh: