PDA

View Full Version : midweek rides

Chrislost
6th November 2007, 11:18
Is anyone keen next week for midweek rides?
tuesday the 13th onwards.

motorbyclist
6th November 2007, 11:23
yeah, think i'm busy on the 15th, and might have work, might not....

still keen if the weather cleans up - and coro loop round2 next sunday looks good

Chrislost
6th November 2007, 14:43
im busy after next week,
there is also a open day at puke on friday.

Macstar
7th November 2007, 08:39
I'm going to put my hand up for a midweek ride (once this low pressure system clears) cause another one is spose to be arriving this weekend and I don't want to miss out riding.

I'm telling you, this winter, spring and summer so far has been the coldest, wettest and windiest that I can ever remember. I don't have high hopes of an amazing summer to offset the ridiculous run of bad weather either. My plan was to spend one last summer in NZ before heading off overseas, but I'm seriously wondering if I should just go in December...(provided I don't end up in the Northern Hemisphere).

klyong82
7th November 2007, 08:51
I'm going to put my hand up for a midweek ride (once this low pressure system clears) cause another one is spose to be arriving this weekend and I don't want to miss out riding.

I'm telling you, this winter, spring and summer so far has been the coldest, wettest and windiest that I can ever remember. I don't have high hopes of an amazing summer to offset the ridiculous run of bad weather either. My plan was to spend one last summer in NZ before heading off overseas, but I'm seriously wondering if I should just go in December...(provided I don't end up in the Northern Hemisphere).

Darn you having those early life crisis thoughts again. Just stay put for now. I am sure it is one of those seasons where summer will kick in later than usual.

Macstar
7th November 2007, 10:18
Darn you having those early life crisis thoughts again. Just stay put for now. I am sure it is one of those seasons where summer will kick in later than usual.

Call me old, but I can remember when summer truly began in December (I grew up in the Coromandel), and by Christmas day it was stinking hot. People who took their two weeks holiday at Christmas / New Year were rewarded with the best weather summer had to offer unlike nowadays where it seems to get good in February, when you're back at work...

I can also remember as a young kid in the early 80s not having to wear sunblock cause NZ still had the declining remains of an ozone layer. Step out today with no sunblock and within 30 minutes you've gone red.

"early life crisis"? I think I'm just fucken fed up with the shit weather and want some SUNSHINE AND WARMTH DAMN IT!

Anyone else feel the same?

Chrislost
7th November 2007, 10:38
well the winter was warmer then usual, and summer more messy...
perhaps their getting into each others clothes at the season making factory?

motorbyclist
7th November 2007, 10:56
one i've got some coolant in my yzf i wont be complaining:D

chris you free tomorrow?

anyone other smc club members free tomorrow with dirtbikes?

Macstar
7th November 2007, 10:59
KTM aint running well but I have some coolant if you need.

motorbyclist
7th November 2007, 11:07
what's wrong with the ktm?

i'm going to go buy some coolant after lunch; i swapped radiators with the spare yz400f so now i don't have a left one made more of expoxy/weld than original metal:lol:

means i can again run a standard pressure cap and don't have to worry about blowing out another radiator repair (extreme conditions and me being an idiot) nor losing too much water on hot days :D(total loss system)

a 1999 yz400f in good condition is about to go on trademe for those interested. both radiators have repairs but low pressure cap means you should be ok. buying radiator braces is HIGHLY recommended. dunno why they aren't standard actually

Macstar
7th November 2007, 11:21
KTM is running rough as guts and almost impossible to start. I reckon the spark plug is shagged and carb needs adjusting and possibly a new needle. But I don't have a socket to remove the spark plug and wouldn't want to attempt touching the carb with my basic mechanical knowledge. So I'm waiting for a chance to drop it back off to the mechanics and for this week's Student Allowance payment to come through! That bike is making me broke man...

Dirt bikes eh?!

klyong82
7th November 2007, 11:35
KTM is running rough as guts and almost impossible to start. I reckon the spark plug is shagged and carb needs adjusting and possibly a new needle. But I don't have a socket to remove the spark plug and wouldn't want to attempt touching the carb with my basic mechanical knowledge. So I'm waiting for a chance to drop it back off to the mechanics and for this week's Student Allowance payment to come through! That bike is making me broke man...

Dirt bikes eh?!

Perhaps start selling it off in bits....probably get back what you paid for it.

Macstar
7th November 2007, 12:01
Perhaps start selling it off in bits....probably get back what you paid for it.

I've come this far, I want to have a decent blast on before I sell it whole or otherwise. Gonna rip some wheelies man!

motorbyclist
7th November 2007, 12:20
probably spark plug. be sure to run a clean air filter and run on high quality fuel. my experience basically restricts that to BP 98. running on shell/mobil is asking for trouble.

and you did buy a ktm....

Macstar
7th November 2007, 13:56
and you did buy a ktm.... hey hey... even though India's Baja recently bought into KTM, they're still an excellent motorcycle manufacturer damn it!:innocent:

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the KTM supermoto project stacks up against the likes of..... ooooooh I dunno?.... a VFR 400????:first:

I'll probably never get a chance to get my supermoto skill levels up enough to do the bike justice though (on account of the crap weather and repeated mechanical breakdowns).

kwjoon1
7th November 2007, 14:13
if im not working..and my bikes running..im in!

twinkle
7th November 2007, 14:49
Call me old

if you want us to :laugh:

I'm working 6 days a week so no weekday rides for me:mellow: well, not day rides anyway :woohoo:

motorbyclist
7th November 2007, 18:24
hey hey... even though India's Baja recently bought into KTM, they're still an excellent motorcycle manufacturer damn it!:innocent:

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the KTM supermoto project stacks up against the likes of..... ooooooh I dunno?.... a VFR 400????:first:

I'll probably never get a chance to get my supermoto skill levels up enough to do the bike justice though (on account of the crap weather and repeated mechanical breakdowns).

i'm sure i warned you

Macstar
8th November 2007, 08:00
Took the Suzuki for a run to Piha last night instead of the KTM. I tried to do "the Pace" (there's a thread about it in survival skills) but found that technique pretty boring.

If the weather holds on might go on the Thurs night ride tonight.

Squiggles
8th November 2007, 09:57
if you want us to :laugh:

I'm working 6 days a week so no weekday rides for me:mellow: well, not day rides anyway :woohoo:

I be calling on you for some carb work tomorrow :2thumbsup :wari:

HungusMaximist
8th November 2007, 10:20
Took the Suzuki for a run to Piha last night instead of the KTM. I tried to do "the Pace" (there's a thread about it in survival skills) but found that technique pretty boring.

You know you should really tell people about these things when you go so other people can join you!

Anyway my Kat, is a little farked.. I have been thinking about the SV650 though, as I can't be bothered with sports bikes as I need something I can commute on every single day!

Twins are the way to go aye Stephen! :Punk:

klyong82
8th November 2007, 10:29
You know you should really tell people about these things when you go so other people can join you!

Anyway my Kat, is a little farked.. I have been thinking about the SV650 though, as I can't be bothered with sports bikes as I need something I can commute on every single day!

Twins are the way to go aye Stephen! :Punk:

Get an SV1000 late model for 8k probably already got all the mods done bro.

Chrislost
8th November 2007, 10:58

The pace you were setting was obviously too slow.

the best thing i found (when going to the cold kiwi) was to sit at about 140 so you could keep your licence by braking hard, and not slow down for the corners. Which means alot less acceleration out, which means no red mist...used SFA gas on the way down(perhaps $20 on a 750)

Is anyone keen to meet at uni around 6. then meet the kiwibikers thursday night ride
flick me a text

Macstar
8th November 2007, 13:22

Yeah, was a spur of the moment decision to go for a ride as the sun was going down.

The pace you were setting was obviously too slow.

Yeah, probably. But boring as in sitting in the saddle and not shifting your weight around.

Might do ride tonight. If so, I'll be at the gym at 6pm.

motorbyclist
8th November 2007, 15:56
i just put the viffer in for a new chain/sprockets, so the only riding for me until monday is on the fixxer.

man that is one horrible seat

ital916
9th November 2007, 09:29
I'm keen for rides in the evening. I'm working nine to five thirty so evening is the only time i will have free.