PDA

View Full Version : Evening newbie rides?

ital916
9th November 2007, 07:07
Hey guys, the names D. I just got my bike and was interested in joining the Auck uni MC, just wondering how i go about doing that? Also if anyone is keen on some sedate evening rides around auckland? I a newbie so am still pretty nervous.I work from nine to five thirty but the suns setting pretty late so i reckon evening would still be pretty light. I live in remuera so if anyones close by and wants to cruise i'm always up for it. Oh and i'm a bit nervous about riding again cos i dropped my bike yesterday :Oops:*chalk it up to a learning experience*, it's got a vicious back break ask kyle haha. So any braking tips would be well appreciated. Hope to ride with you guys soon.

Peace out and ride safe

D

Hanne
9th November 2007, 08:17
Hi D,
I'm over in Mt Eden and keen to go riding!
Squiggles is the president of the Uni Bikes Club, he is in Epsom so not too far away either.
Drop him a PM and I'm sure he would be happy to come out with you too and give you some tips (He's the one who taught me to ride).
Hope to see you soon, and sunny side up,
Hanne

Macstar
9th November 2007, 08:21
Hey "D" This aint CBR David reinventing himself is it? Just kidding mate...

I'm not sure how to join the club, I've been an unofficial member for 6 months now. My unofficial status hasn't stopped me for joining and organising SMC club rides though! Probably give Bomma or Squiggles a PM.

As for rides, yep always keen - evenings are sweet for me. In fact, riding with other bikers is probably the best way to build your skills up quickly as you can follow their lines through corners, see what speed to go and watch when they brake / accelerate etc.

What bike have you got?

UberRhys
9th November 2007, 08:27
There is also the mentor ride on a Wednesday (?) evening, but if you need peeps to ride with, a quick post will invigorate some action... :niceone:

carbacca
9th November 2007, 08:29
i havent officially joined either but i like hanging out with these guys so here i am.

i am always keen for a nana ride, i am in epsom too so just about your neck of woods. problem being there aint much good roads smack bang in the middle of dork-land

klyong82
9th November 2007, 08:48
Just gimme $3 bucks and you are an official member. lol I live in Remuera too D. If you see a blue/yellow/white Fireblade 929 that would be me.

Are you the person who has a RG150? Someone was telling me this yesterday.

ital916
9th November 2007, 08:48
Hey guys, nice to meet you all. How does monday evening sound (12th)? I'm kinda nervous after my fall but i'm keen to get straight back on. I ride a RG150, it's a great bike but pretty high strung haha i've been riding about four days so i'm not great. I'll give squiggles a pm and try organise a ride. Yeah there aren't too many roads in rem but if there are a few of us i'm sure we can ride out a bit cos i won't be afraid of stalling and the such (shame i know, plus my bike s a kick start so it's a pain in the ass).

ital916
9th November 2007, 08:51
hey KL yeah i have the RG, she's super mint even after the fall. I love her to bits i guess it's just first bike infatuation haha. She's a pain to learn to take off in...i gotta work on my clutch control.:D

Squiggles
9th November 2007, 08:54
im here, and close

Dont forget to put good 2t oil in that rg :msn-wink:

UberRhys
9th November 2007, 08:57
Just gimme $3 bucks and you are an official member.

That's a bargain, can I join? I can hold up the S end of SMC.

klyong82
9th November 2007, 09:03
hey KL yeah i have the RG, she's super mint even after the fall. I love her to bits i guess it's just first bike infatuation haha. She's a pain to learn to take off in...i gotta work on my clutch control.:D

Yes great bikes that was my first bike too (sorry all I know my first bike was not a Honda). Well normally I ride to Mission Bay then all along Quay St. TUrn into and ride up Queen St then motorway back to Remuera off-ramp a good 30-40 mins ride. PM me your number and we can meet up for a ride like that.

That's a bargain, can I join? I can hold up the S end of SMC.

Sure you can hold any letter just gimme me the money and dont tell Bomma or Squiggles about this.

PS: dont abuse the RG like how Squiggles abused his. muahahaha

ehab2weelr
9th November 2007, 10:32
Yes great bikes that was my first bike too (sorry all I know my first bike was not a Honda). Well normally I ride to Mission Bay then all along Quay St. TUrn into and ride up Queen St then motorway back to Remuera off-ramp a good 30-40 mins ride. PM me your number and we can meet up for a ride like that.

Sure you can hold any letter just gimme me the money and dont tell Bomma or Squiggles about this.

PS: dont abuse the RG like how Squiggles abused his. muahahaha

is that where all the smc money is gone to? kim ur this close to getting kicked out, but if ur still up for the trade, i could forget all about it :innocent: hahahahahaha hahahah

ps im keen for a ride after 4.30 monday, finish my last exam then and be keen to burn some adrenalin :devil2:. hahahahahah.

klyong82
9th November 2007, 10:51
is that where all the smc money is gone to? kim ur this close to getting kicked out, but if ur still up for the trade, i could forget all about it :innocent: hahahahahaha hahahah

ps im keen for a ride after 4.30 monday, finish my last exam then and be keen to burn some adrenalin :devil2:. hahahahahah.

It wasnt me honest :innocent: I am innocent. . As the committee know I did not want the treasurer role. If I was the treasurer you guys aint getting any money from me cos I will be investing it.:shifty:

What trade Ehab? :blink: You wanna trade your GSX250 for my Spidi jacket?or you wanna trap 4 late model GSX for my Fireblade?

ital916
9th November 2007, 20:44
Hey ehab. I work till five thirty on monday but if your keen for like a six thirty start that would be all good. Drop me a pm if your keen.

D

EJK
9th November 2007, 21:16
Bring it, I'm a newbie too :)
Happy to involve a ride anytime :yes:

just send me a PM and I'm on my way :D

motorbyclist
9th November 2007, 22:33
well, now, i'm a strong believer in that two strokes are not very good "first bike i've ever owned" bikes due to reliablility, tendency to blow up, nasty power bands, gunking up when you don't rev them, and no engine braking... BUT, i have ridden an RG before and know that they are very tame, so it's just down to reliability and engine breaking :laugh: (anyone see the pun?)

but, luckily for you, D, i've downgraded to a FXR150 (the 4 stroke version of your RG) for the week, and will be very happy to give you many "PROTIP"s about riding and basic bike maintenance.

PROTIP: back brake has only 25% of your braking power, as the weight of your bike shifts forward when decelerating, so the tyre loses most it's grip and will lock/slide easily. use both brakes, and learn how to use them effectively and safely in different situations - especially emergency stops

bikerboy011
9th November 2007, 22:51
I live in Remuera too!! i got exams next week :( no more riding till i finish :(
yaya i got my knees down yesterday!!! finally hahaha

Squiggles
10th November 2007, 00:02
well, now, i'm a strong believer in that two strokes are not very good "first bike i've ever owned" bikes due to reliablility, tendency to blow up, nasty power bands, gunking up when you don't rev them, and no engine braking...

Bah, i rung the balls off my rgv250 from my first ride on the road till i got a gsxr750 beauty of a bike, i miss it :(

should find a carpark and practise some braking on monday :)

edit: and ill bring some chain lube and stuff to clean ya chain with, something every newbie needs to learn.

ital916
10th November 2007, 08:13
Hey guys. Yeah the RG is a great bike but is a hell of a lot different than the gn I first rode. I have to keep her revving to high hell to get somewhere haha. Did my riderskills roadcraft course yesterday. We went riding for three hours it was awesome, ill post a review up soon of my experience. The back brake is very very good on my RG so i'm learning to use it carefully. I'm putting oil in her today and giving her a wash. If anyone is up for a nana ride at twelve drop me a pm as i'm gonna be going for a ride in this great weather. My starts from first gear are getting better but still got a lot of learnin to do. :D

ital916
10th November 2007, 10:24
hey all ill be leaving for my nana cruise at twelve fifteen from my house. Would be wicked if anyone was keen otherwise ill lone ranger it.

motorbyclist
10th November 2007, 11:38
PROTIP: never give your address out on the internet, either PM people, or better yet, just give a cell phone number and agree to meet at a gas station somewhere suitable

i'd like to come, but only just checked the forum.... maybe another time

breakaway
10th November 2007, 11:57
Drop me a PM if you guys get one of these rides sorted! I'm free from tuesday next week (Except sunday next week, probably doing the Honda West coro loop)

ehab2weelr
10th November 2007, 14:20
ok riders, monday ride

meet infront of uni gym at 6.00 pm sun should still be up. on monday 12th nov.

its a short ride for noobs, im sure some riders that are more experienced then me can come and share with us some of there wisdom. hahah

c u all there. pm me if u can make it so i know who to wait for before we leave.

ehab2weelr
10th November 2007, 14:30
Bring it, I'm a newbie too :)
Happy to involve a ride anytime :yes:

just send me a PM and I'm on my way :D

u are not a noob EJ. uv been on more rides than kb can offer. hahah

motorbyclist
10th November 2007, 14:31
i'll be there... but on the vfr not the fxr

ehab2weelr
10th November 2007, 14:34
i'll be there... but on the vfr not the fxr

all good ur a pussy rider any ways. hahahah :buggerd:

motorbyclist
10th November 2007, 14:40
yeah right

ital916
10th November 2007, 15:14
hey bro, i finish work at five thirty so might be a stretch to get there on time, is there somewhere along the way where i can meet up with you guys??

ehab2weelr
10th November 2007, 15:23
where do you work?

ital916
10th November 2007, 17:09
I work in Eden terrace but ill need to get home to get my bike.

motorbyclist
11th November 2007, 01:20
cannot ride bike to work? it's cheaper than car/bus ;)

ital916
11th November 2007, 08:57
I could but i've been riding for five days :P so i'm not super confident in super heavy traffic yet. Hence the evening rides to get accustomed to riding. I don't wanna dive in too deep and get caught out.

ehab2weelr
11th November 2007, 09:31
d u can meet us at missionbay if u like. pm me ur number and i txt u.

motorbyclist
11th November 2007, 10:17
I could but i've been riding for five days :P so i'm not super confident in super heavy traffic yet. Hence the evening rides to get accustomed to riding. I don't wanna dive in too deep and get caught out.

very good idea:niceone:

Macstar
11th November 2007, 17:46
Hoping to get the KTM back tomorrow, so see you at uni if I see you. Still 6pm?

klyong82
11th November 2007, 17:53
I wont be attending this ride as I got a birthday dinner to attend ... plenty of parties for the coming week....woohoooo....:banana::wari::lol:

motorbyclist
11th November 2007, 17:53
yeah, we can talk bikes till D gets there... might bring the fxr after all

Folcan
12th November 2007, 07:42
Hey ,im not gonna be able to make this one. im down in tron. doing some work on my bike. would have liked to thou

Macstar
12th November 2007, 10:25
My face looks a little like this guy at the moment: :mad: Mechanic has had bike since Thurs but still not even opened up the carb (15 min job for the trained pro), so no parts have been ordered either which means at least another few days till my KTM will be ready.

So, anyway, I'll leave you guys to this ride tonight as no KTM to ride. Have a good one.

motorbyclist
12th November 2007, 15:59
ok guys, out here in west auckland i can tell you now a nasty set of clouds has come over the ranges. went from perfect blue to drizzly (and fast becoming humid)

looks bad.... i don't think tonight is a good learner night at all, unless anyone wants to practice wet weather riding

EJK
12th November 2007, 16:04
Can we go somewhere else?

Macstar
12th November 2007, 16:07
That weather front has now reached me in Mt Eden... (5pm)

EJK
12th November 2007, 16:10
All clear in Mt. Albert at the moment

motorbyclist
12th November 2007, 16:17
north looks ok, west isn't getting any worse but don't count on it to stay that way. rain stopped for now

EJK
12th November 2007, 16:25
Ok I'm getting my gears now

ehab2weelr
12th November 2007, 16:34
im at uni and wether in town is looking real good. i dont konw what u r on about....,
il be at uni, so any one wants to come now il be there. hahahah
finished my last exam just now....:banana:

motorbyclist
12th November 2007, 16:45
looks suspect, i might suggest we give this a miss?

and camera doesn't show it, but it was spitting for the duration of my 5 minute excursion

ital916
12th November 2007, 17:16
Yo ehab you were meant to text me where in mission bay to meet you lol anyway it's pissing down at my place so looks like im stuck here poos was really looking forward to riding...whens the next possible day?

breakaway
12th November 2007, 17:17
Weather's pretty bad here (Auckland, Three Kings)

Raining pretty hard. Doesn't look like a good idea :(

motorbyclist
12th November 2007, 17:29
LOL i told you guys. at 4 pm i was out pulling in washing and whatnot, then came straight here to post.

hi D, when are you free? i'm bumming around all week for all i can see, and there's the party at bommas place on thursday afternoon, so thursday morning would be really good.

EJK
12th November 2007, 21:43
Bad weather, the ride was cancelled

Ragingrob
12th November 2007, 21:49
Hey I'm pretty keen for morning/day rides at the moment seeing exams are over and I'm only working from 3:30 arvos if anyone's keen for a cruise somewhere that's not too far :)

klyong82
13th November 2007, 09:12
Crappy weather for yesterday ride. Now I have to wash the bike again.

motorbyclist
13th November 2007, 12:57
Hey I'm pretty keen for morning/day rides at the moment seeing exams are over and I'm only working from 3:30 arvos if anyone's keen for a cruise somewhere that's not too far :)

can be done, but i live way out in henderson and you in karaka......

would want a few more learners to come too....

do both you and D work saturday?

could have a "PROTIP day" where some more experienced riders can take learners on a short ride and give a few PROTIPs :D

HungusMaximist
13th November 2007, 19:03
can be done, but i live way out in henderson and you in karaka......

would want a few more learners to come too....

do both you and D work saturday?

could have a "PROTIP day" where some more experienced riders can take learners on a short ride and give a few PROTIPs :D

I wouldn't trust this guy, he'll probably teach you how eat bad food and take big massive random dumps at people's backyards... in middle of nowhere..

Stay well clear! ! !:msn-wink:

Chrislost
13th November 2007, 19:14
PROTIP? vs Smurf

Smurf wins

:eek5:

anything happening on friday? I would not mind coming along and getting a few pointers.

Squiggles
13th November 2007, 19:37
dont make me get out the acronym dictionary....

Going to work on the bikes friday (TL, Madison....)

Ragingrob
13th November 2007, 19:39
I'm havin a bit of a service on my bike with Twinkle this weekend one day, maybe we could get a few people and have a ride afterwards huh? He's out Massey way.

Macstar
13th November 2007, 21:19
I wouldn't trust this guy, he'll probably teach you how eat bad food and take big massive random dumps at people's backyards... in middle of nowhere..

Stay well clear! ! !:msn-wink:

You can be a funny bastard at times Hungus!!

motorbyclist
13th November 2007, 22:11
anything happening on friday? I would not mind coming along and getting a few pointers.

lol, you can teach us how to write off a bike and walk away:niceone::bleh:

Timaa
13th November 2007, 23:04
hey peeps, if anyone is going for a ride then gimme a txt or pm or both and ill prob tag along... and if anyone knows a job i can snap up then pm also... pretty much needing money asap. lol. cheers... Tim

ps, cell num is 0210397888, or 0274698830

mint, look forward to some cruising and meeting new peoples.

ehab2weelr
14th November 2007, 10:14
im goin to missions bay at noon weth some bikers.

and might chill there for some time, and if we can think of a good place to go riding to and the weather holds up then we might go. if ur keen pm me or just post something.

klyong82
14th November 2007, 10:36
im goin to missions bay at noon weth some bikers.

and might chill there for some time, and if we can think of a good place to go riding to and the weather holds up then we might go. if ur keen pm me or just post something.

How long ya gonna be there? I might make a quick run there and back...you parking at the same place?

ehab2weelr
14th November 2007, 11:14
ok weather is sh!t, so no ride. :crybaby:

klyong82
14th November 2007, 11:31
Too bad.... i am watching Harry Potter now. :wari:

ital916
15th November 2007, 06:13
Hey everyone anyone keen for a cruise this saturday, hopefully weather will be sweet as. Anyway I posted a thread about it, if your keen let me know, the more the merrier. A chance to get out of traffic would be sweet as.

Hanne
15th November 2007, 09:33
Too bad.... i am watching Harry Potter now. :wari:

So that is how you do it! Borrow Harry's spells and appropriate them, 'wingardium newbikeiosa!', and suddenly you have a new set of wheels...:Punk:

klyong82
15th November 2007, 09:50
So that is how you do it! Borrow Harry's spells and appropriate them, 'wingardium newbikeiosa!', and suddenly you have a new set of wheels...:Punk:

Yes my first spell is 'accio 07 cbr1000RR' and PUFFFFFF! My new bike. Then second spell is 'wingardium leviosa' turns the CBR1000RR into a flying machine :yeah::ride:

motorbyclist
15th November 2007, 12:14
Yes my first spell is 'accio 07 cbr1000RR' and PUFFFFFF! My new bike. Then second spell is 'wingardium leviosa' turns the CBR1000RR into a flying machine :yeah::ride:

what? those things fly anyway:bleh:

lol i heard of some smartass getting off a speeding ticket by giving the officer his pilots licence rather than his drivers/bike licence:jerry:

breakaway
15th November 2007, 14:50
I might be keen on saturday. Any of you doing the Wild West Coro loop on Sunday? (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1445&day=2007-11-18&)

motorbyclist
15th November 2007, 17:16
yea and probably

babyblade250rr
15th November 2007, 17:33
Yeah i too have found myself as an honourary uni smc rider!! Great guys n gals all round, The way i see it is even if your not a member you just gate crash as i do!! lol

zoom
2nd February 2008, 18:47
Question, im at AU and keen to join the bike club but my mate is a dirty AUTer but realises that AU is by far the better uni (jokes) and was wondering if he can join too...?

motorbyclist
2nd February 2008, 19:12
while at present you don't actually have to be a member to come on our rides (not least because we don't have very good records nor care for them), i believe the new database will denote whether or not you are infact a student

AUSA (auckland university student's association) will fund us dependant on the number of members we have, provided they are enrolled as students at auckland uni... does AUSA extend up to AUT?

either way, yes he can join

Squiggles
2nd February 2008, 20:13
AUSA (auckland university student's association) will fund us dependant on the number of members we have, provided they are enrolled as students at auckland uni... does AUSA extend up to AUT?

either way, yes he can join

only 70% of our members must be from Auckland uni (from memory)

motorbyclist
2nd February 2008, 22:46
oh, i thought it was on a per student basis

sweet as then!