PDA

View Full Version : Honda Rubicon Auto Problems!!!

tundra
11th November 2007, 13:33
Hi,

I have a 2001 Honda Rubicon 500 ATV.

It has never given me any major trouble at all till now. The problem is my dash display blinks -- D1,D2,ESP and it will not shift gears. It will pull but it stays only in one gear. In low it won't go over about 25 km/h then the rpms get high and won't shift. Also in reverse it sputters like its running out of gas.

I understand that it could be in a "error" mode. I have tried the reset procedure, but I never hear the ecm or angle sensor try to adjust, just silence. So I retrieved the error code and it blinked 5 times, error code 5. I understand it could be an angle sensor,ECM, wire harness,control motor,motor transmission section, or auto tranny unit according to the list. Now I would like to know from anyone who has experienced this problem what is most likely the problem with their experiences with the Rubicon.

If their is no clear answer, what would be the list for the easiest thing to check first, hardest last. I did a search but really couldn't find a clear answer. From what I was able to gather it probably is the angle sensor. But I would hate to purchase parts only to find out that is not the problem. Do dealerships have a way to test the parts to see if their ok? Or is there a way we can test this with automotive electric current meter? I'm sorry for the long post but I wanted to give the best details that I could.

I would appreciate any help you can give me. I just need to know what to check first, and/or what most likely is the real problem.

Cheers,

Chris