PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Cover

quallman1234
20th November 2007, 22:15
Removed all the bolts as per the manual.

Just wondering how you actually get it off? Smack it off ?

Sully60
20th November 2007, 22:35
Removed all the bolts as per the manual.

Just wondering how you actually get it off? Smack it off ?

You need to be careful, if you are you can keep the gasket in one piece and use it again.
You may have to gently tap (with a soft hammer) the cover close to where the location dowells are. Some covers have an area where you can tap the back side (settle down! not like that now) and get the thing started. This is where you have to start getting the gasket to stay completely on on either the cover or the case, usually half the gasket sticks to one of the surfaces and half to the other. I use a sharp blade and carefully slip it between the gasket and the surface you don't want it on.
Take your time and don't be rough and you should be sweet.
Good luck.

F5 Dave
21st November 2007, 16:41
Wind it right through the gears brake reeal heavily & lean to the right without letting go of the brakes. Look down. Make sure you keep your feet out of the way.

jrandom
21st November 2007, 16:43
You should really put new gaskets in when you reassemble things. An OEM clutch cover gasket shouldn't set you back more than $10 or so, so I'd bin the gasket and buy a new one.

:yes:

Max Preload
21st November 2007, 16:55
You should really put new gaskets in when you reassemble things. An OEM clutch cover gasket shouldn't set you back more than $10 or so, so I'd bin the gasket and buy a new one.

If it's even available.

Sully60
21st November 2007, 17:24

:yes:

Shit where do you get your gaskets from?
In all my time in the trade I never sold an OEM gasket for less than $20 even those were teenie tiny cam chain tensioner gaskets.

Spill, who's your supplier??

Wind it right through the gears brake reeal heavily & lean to the right without letting go of the brakes. Look down. Make sure you keep your feet out of the way.

Awesome I'm going out to try that right now!

CCRRRRHHHSSSSSSSS..........Thud.

imdying
22nd November 2007, 10:07
Shit where do you get your gaskets from?
In all my time in the trade I never sold an OEM gasket for less than $20 even those were teenie tiny cam chain tensioner gaskets.

Spill, who's your supplier??

Awesome I'm going out to try that right now!

CCRRRRHHHSSSSSSSS..........Thud.I brought some Honda ATAC ones for $7.80 each :yes:

vifferman
22nd November 2007, 10:18
I recently removed the VFR's clutch cover. The gasket was .... phark! Can't remember, but over $20, maybe over $30, and that was from the US, which is cheaper than local. It would've been easier to have not replaced it, as it stuck only to the cover, and was in reasonable condition. However, I'd already bought the replacement, so had to spend about 30 minutes or so scraping it off (with a scraper). I also put a little dab of silicon on the places where the crankcase splits and the cam angle sensor cable exited the cover, just to make sure there were no leaks.

To get the cover off, I did what Sully60 said, and tapped it with a soft-faced hammer at the bolt holes - the cover is reinforced around these, so it's stronger.

crashe
22nd November 2007, 10:24
I recently removed the VFR's clutch cover. The gasket was .... phark! Can't remember, but over $20, maybe over $30,

My Virago clutch cover gasket cost me $25 the last time it was taken apart when the clutch was repaired at the shop. That was a couple of years back...

This time when it was pulled apart recently, it remained intact.... *phew*

FilthyLuka
22nd November 2007, 18:49
Give it a gentle tap with a very large hammer (TM)

quallman1234
22nd November 2007, 18:53
Got it off, Saved the gasket and the gearbox is very clean and looks all good! :buggerd:

Sully60
23rd November 2007, 08:41
I brought some Honda ATAC ones for $7.80 each :yes:

Fark, I was ripping people off! By selling parts at the recommended retail price:confused:

I remember the price for an XR600 side cover gasket at the time was of $70!!
I just struggle to see how even your ATAC gaskets should cost $7.80.
The tooling for these items would be paid off after selling about 200 gaskets but you still pay top dollar!
To put some perpective on it look at the price of a computer keyboard form Dick Smith with with over 50 screen printed keys, the same number of springs and contacts, all the films etc,a printed circuit board and a wire and plug and, $19.95!

Of course the volumes would not be the same but we pay $10, $20 upwards minimum for a small piece of CARDBOARD cut out in one action on a machine.

Tell me we aren't being raped!

Anyway rant over, I don't it'll ever change but I feel a bit better now.

Got it off, Saved the gasket and the gearbox is very clean and looks all good!
Well done young man!

imdying
23rd November 2007, 09:10
I'm just pulling your chain, I brought the ATAC ones in about 1997 :lol: But perfectly fitting, metal gaskets, all packaged in Honda baggies and sent from Asia, $7.80 each wasn't bad, even for something as small as an ATAC chamber gasket :yes: