PDA

View Full Version : K7 GSX-R750 Radiator Guard

Blue Velvet
22nd November 2007, 10:28
Is there a NZ distributor for these? I know of Rad Guard Australia - do I have to go them direct?

Can they be made?

Options?

Any advice appreciated.

nodrog
22nd November 2007, 10:30
piece of piss and cheap to make your own, think it cost $30 to do 2 bikes.

Blue Velvet
22nd November 2007, 10:32
piece of piss and cheap to make your own, think it cost $30 to do 2 bikes.

Any ideas who could in Wellington?

Anyone out there who could help? Please PM me.

Edit: Need one ASAP so I can get back out on the open twisty road...

nodrog
22nd November 2007, 10:36

Anyone out there who could help? Please PM me...

i know most bike shops should be able to do it for you, Baycity up here put them on all new bikes if you ask, all it is is a piece of aluminium mesh fixed with cable ties, nothing really high tech, just make sure its not touching the radiator cores.

cowpoos
22nd November 2007, 11:06
Is there a NZ distributor for these? I know of Rad Guard Australia - do I have to go them direct?

Can they be made?

Options?

Any advice appreciated.
Dave anderson motorcycles in masterton will sort you one. [look at my signature]

Kendog
22nd November 2007, 11:31

Anyone out there who could help? Please PM me.

Edit: Need one ASAP so I can get back out on the open twisty road...

I have been thinking of getting one as well. If you do line something up can you let me know, could get a better price for more than one item possibly.

But why do you need one before you get back on the road?

Cajun
22nd November 2007, 11:35
what you do is go to somewhere like urich alumin and you get a sheet of mesh, there is enough mesh in a sheet to do 3 sorta bikes, and sheet only costs $30 or something silly like that then its just a bit of time using some zip ties, and some like double sided tape to stop it rubbing and your good to go

Blue Velvet
22nd November 2007, 11:37
I have been thinking of getting one as well. If you do line something up can you let me know, could get a better price for more than one item possibly.

Sure thing.

But why do you need one before you get back on the road?

Because this week some kind soul instilled the fear of radiator holes late at night in the middle of nowhere :shit:

Edit: By road I meant open road, outta town kinda road...

Blue Velvet
22nd November 2007, 11:38
what you do is go to somewhere like urich alumin and you get a sheet of mesh, there is enough mesh in a sheet to do 3 sorta bikes, and sheet only costs $30 or something silly like that then its just a bit of time using some zip ties, and some like double sided tape to stop it rubbing and your good to go

Uh, yeah, thanks *bad mental picture of radiator guard gone wrong* :no:

Kendog
22nd November 2007, 11:39
Sure thing.

Because this week some kind soul instilled the fear of radiator holes late at night in the middle of nowhere :shit:

12,000k, many bugs, a few dents but no holes yet (touch wood)

Trudes
22nd November 2007, 11:44

That's because you dodge the BIG bugs honey!

Fatjim
Put a picture of some supermodel in your profile and you'll get all sorts volunteering to sort it for you.

Blue Velvet

Curse modern office furniture, I have no wood around :crybaby:

Cajun
22nd November 2007, 11:45

touching 40,000kms no problems with no garud.

Alot of i think really dependson who you ride with and how close you ride behind them, if you ride with alot of other sport bikes(aka sticky tires), and often very close behind them, you gonna be more prone to getting a hole, and also getting your front fairing covered in stone chips.

But Blue Velvet, its not that hard, as long as you make sure the cover you make up does not touch any of the cores of the radiator you should be good to go.

Blue Velvet
22nd November 2007, 11:49
Put a picture of some supermodel in your profile and you'll get all sorts volunteering to sort it for you.

There's a pic of a supermodel in my profile :love: :p

Blue Velvet
22nd November 2007, 11:50
touching 40,000kms no problems with no garud.

Alot of i think really dependson who you ride with and how close you ride behind them, if you ride with alot of other sport bikes(aka sticky tires), and often very close behind them, you gonna be more prone to getting a hole, and also getting your front fairing covered in stone chips.

But Blue Velvet, its not that hard, as long as you make sure the cover you make up does not touch any of the cores of the radiator you should be good to go.

OK, thanks.

et al
22nd November 2007, 12:01
You will find it really is an easy job to do yourself. As others have suggested you can buy mesh from somewhere like Ulrich's or SuperCheap (they have coloured stuff) , or Repco. Make a rough template of the radiator profile that you want to cover out of cardboard, cut the mesh to suit and attach with cable ties - you should be able to find a couple of attachment points for this or if not then carefully thread ties through the cooling fins at edges of rad. I have also used some of that plastic car door protector moulding to the mesh edges which protects the surroundings (and your knuckles) from being scratched.
PM me if you need further help/info/pictures.

Blue Velvet
22nd November 2007, 12:08
You will find it really is an easy job to do yourself. As others have suggested you can buy mesh from somewhere like Ulrich's or SuperCheap (they have coloured stuff) , or Repco. Make a rough template of the radiator profile that you want to cover out of cardboard, cut the mesh to suit and attach with cable ties - you should be able to find a couple of attachment points for this or if not then carefully thread ties through the cooling fins at edges of rad. I have also used some of that plastic car door protector moulding to the mesh edges which protects the surroundings (and your knuckles) from being scratched.
PM me if you need further help/info/pictures.

PM sent...

Fatjim
22nd November 2007, 12:49
There's a pic of a supermodel in my profile :love: :p

Show us your tappets

SVboy
22nd November 2007, 14:41
I assume the 750 rad is the same as the 600, which is curved. Is it an issue to curve the alloy around to suit? What is a good way to put a permanent bend in the guard? Where do you get the plastic panel edging from?

Cajun
22nd November 2007, 14:43
I assume the 750 rad is the same as the 600, which is curved. Is it an issue to curve the alloy around to suit? What is a good way to put a permanent bend in the guard? Where do you get the plastic panel edging from?

no not an issue, will curve and hold its shape,

plastic panel edging be able to get something from payless plastics or repco or simlar.

nodrog
22nd November 2007, 14:48
... Is it an issue to curve the alloy around to suit?

no, its a piece of piss to bend by hand

What is a good way to put a permanent bend in the guard?

i just bend it over my leg

Where do you get the plastic panel edging from?

repco or super cheap have the stuff in rolls, i dont use it, i just usally put some foam tape, (similar to the stuff you get for putting around your house windows to stop draughts) on the back to stop it rubbing on the radiator, and tuck the edges in behind the fairings.

Blue Velvet
22nd November 2007, 15:20
no, its a piece of piss to bend by hand

i just bend it over my leg

repco or super cheap have the stuff in rolls, i dont use it, i just usally put some foam tape, (similar to the stuff you get for putting around your house windows to stop draughts) on the back to stop it rubbing on the radiator, and tuck the edges in behind the fairings.

So if I go to Repco or Supercheap and ask for foam tape for the edge of the mesh they won't look at me blankly, but instead know exactly what I'm talking about?

I'm sure it's not hard, but I have no idea what I'm doing eh.

:confused:

Blue Velvet
22nd November 2007, 15:20
Show us your tappets

Show me yours :msn-wink:

banditrider
22nd November 2007, 17:36
Just to give you some info on the Radguard ones. I ordered mine ex Aussie and had it in 5 days. Total cost around $250. Obviously made to for the bike so fits really well & looks nice. Good construction, strong, looks fine.

et al
22nd November 2007, 18:53
Here are some pics - hard to see on the actual bikes but best I can get for you, hopefully bit easier to figure out on the S4RS pic where you can see the edge strip down the sides (which I did not use on the GSXR). The RACEPRO stuff in the pic I got from Repco (approx $60 I think) - that is an offcut you can see, the actual size was approx 800x400mm. Ulrich Aluminium had slightly smaller sheets available, but had a better range of mesh sizes and types (I think their proper description for it is "expanded mesh"). Super Cheap have some sexy coloured stuff but the widest was around 280mm so may not be big enough for a one piece job on bikes with bigger rads. The edge strip is available from Super Cheap - called something like "door edge protector".

Fatjim
22nd November 2007, 19:04
Show me yours :msn-wink:

Believe me, thats something you don't wanna see. But I'll show you my pushrods.

Pussy
22nd November 2007, 19:14
Just to give you some info on the Radguard ones. I ordered mine ex Aussie and had it in 5 days. Total cost around $250. Obviously made to for the bike so fits really well & looks nice. Good construction, strong, looks fine.

Yep, 100% agree with you. Both our sem fiddys have Radguards, worth the coin

SVboy
23rd November 2007, 07:05
Sweet people, thanks for the tips...

Blue Velvet
23rd November 2007, 07:44
Sweet people, thanks for the tips...

+1

Appreciate all the advice and info.

Blue Velvet
23rd November 2007, 08:37
Believe me, thats something you don't wanna see. But I'll show you my pushrods.

Do you have a big block?

:innocent:

Gremlin
24th November 2007, 01:08
New rules regarding imbedding images... so here's a couple of links http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/_Gremlin/2004%20ZX-10R/BeforeandAfterGrill1.jpg?t=1195823226
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/_Gremlin/2004%20ZX-10R/BeforeandAfterGrill2.jpg?t=1195823280

boomer
24th November 2007, 02:36
New rules regarding imbedding images... so here's a couple of links http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/_Gremlin/2004%20ZX-10R/BeforeandAfterGrill1.jpg?t=1195823226
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb236/_Gremlin/2004%20ZX-10R/BeforeandAfterGrill2.jpg?t=1195823280

the kwaka on the left

needs a clean
looks half finished

the kwaka on the right

needs a clean
will be a bitch of a job when you need to rip the fairings of

ps.. did mine a couple of weeks ago.. pay Suzuki dealer $200 or make one yourself for less than a quarter of that.../???? ummmmm :bash:

Kendog
24th November 2007, 06:16
That looks great Gremlin, think I will try that (not sure about using white zip ties however)

nadroj
24th November 2007, 08:36
That mesh looks a little fine and may restrict airflow at low speeds. I would suggest a larger fan be installed if urban commuting.

Ulrich Aluminium has mesh in small silver lengths but pattern is wrong way around for most applications, and not much cheaper.

Super Cheap has mesh in red, blue, silver and black.
1200mm x 200mm for $29.95
1200mm x 280mm for $39.95
Door edging is $8.95 for 2 long & 2 short lengths.

Para Rubber has rubber U section suitable up to 140 degrees at $4.80 / metre.

Black stainless steel catch zip ties last longer in UV and heat and are available at electrical wholesalers.

Gremlin
24th November 2007, 19:24
the kwaka on the left

needs a clean
looks half finished

yes... for kwaka's top bike, they made that front area look shit... cleaning... I ain't no poser mr bling king :spanking: I aim to clean this weekend however... the dirt has its own dirt now

think I will try that (not sure about using white zip ties however)
yes well... that was the first fitting, but had to take it off for dyno work, used black zip ties the next time (and yes, as boomer mentioned, bitch when you have to take bottom off).

I used the fine version... don't think it actually makes toooo much difference, and I don't commute. Repco sells the stuff... http://www.racepro.co.nz/mesh.shtm

limbimtimwim
24th November 2007, 20:03
Edit: By road I meant open road, outta town kinda road...That person was not kind, they were scaring you.

I did 25,000km on my GSXR750K6 and no problem. Yes I rode it in plenty of gravel. Or I should say, enough gravel. It never could enjoy it on that bike.

There isn't much of a chance of doing in your own radiator, take a look at the front mudguard and how low it goes. It's the stones from someone in front if you that could do the damage, not from your own tyre. Stay back.

Having said that, the GSXR rad does look very vulnerable and I was concerned about it too.

Gremlin
24th November 2007, 20:06
I did 25,000km on my GSXR750K6 and no problem.
mate with a k6 thou did 600km before his rad got holed... He had an expensive first service :blink:

Its cheap insurance... would highly recommend fitting rad guards ASAP.

nadroj
24th November 2007, 20:07
Most use medium & SupaCheap is $20 cheaper although Repco is higher.