PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between a mini moto and a midi moto?

GerryAttrick
22nd November 2007, 14:18
Im keen to give PB Racing a crack but I am a tad older than most out there by the sounds of things...not sure if I can fold up to fit one but I intend to find out. Are there races for MidiMotos- they sound like they are bigger

Can't make it to Mt Wellington this weekend but will try for the next one.

Oh and what are the brand names of the aircooled Chinese bikes on TM.. I'd like to do a bit of background research into what to get.

Come to think of it my mates son imports heaps of stuff from China...maybe I can get one that way. He is up there every month.:niceone:

daytona 2
22nd November 2007, 14:42
midi and mini moto are the same there just different names

Aero165
22nd November 2007, 18:46
No there not. A midi bike is larger than a pocket bike but smaller than a real bike.

daytona 2
22nd November 2007, 19:24
ya they are different sorry about that

SHELRACING
22nd November 2007, 20:45
I think the midi's are a 4 stroke with bigger wheel size and the bike is taller.
They are REAL SLOW.

My advice is get a watercooled pocketbike from a reputable dealer in NZ.
Most of the guys and Gals at Mt Welly can tell you who they bought their
bikes from.

You may find a standard Daytona a tad slow. However in saying that they are good to learn on.

The difference between a $199 bike and $400 ( on Trademe) is sometimes just the paint job or stickers. They all need constant maintenance and checking, plus they do not do 50-60kmph unless you weigh 25kg.

How about coming down to Mt Welly and check out some of the bikes there before you buy.
Once you have had one ride, you will be hooked. :clap:

I speak from personal experience, it was hook, line and sinker for me.:yes:
Granma

Gadgit
23rd November 2007, 06:21
Theres a couple of ways to answer this question... the minimoto has two size chassis all daytona 2 bikes are classed as a midi but the daytona 1 is a mini (slightly smaller) but it's more pronounced in the euro bikes ie polini make the GP3 in both sizes, GP3 911 which is a midi and GP3 910 which is the mini it's 40mm shorter in the wheel base and 30mm smaller in hight I'm 6'2" and fit on a mini so you should be right....

The other way to answer the question is... you may have seen the half sized mini gp bikes these are also called mini super bikes they have suspension lights and speedo but there is no race class for these bikes.

owner
23rd November 2007, 07:16
Ive got 500$ chinese tardeme mini/midi moto its as big as a crf80 its a 125 four stroke. Its sick Ive been thrashing the shit out it for two months now nearly every day upside downs wavy disks, hydrylic hand rear brake , looped it 3 times flat out in 3rd on the road new pegs, levers, bits falling off, and a bottle of locktite is all part of it, best money I ever spent,does about 80km i reckon, seller was einheris.

GerryAttrick
28th November 2007, 11:57
Thanks guys.

I'll sure get down to Mt Wellington to have a look & a chat. Might have to practise "folding" the body to fit as I could be classed as a retread now. Have tried a Track Day with the 800 but don't like the idea of chucking it down the road.

Sounds like MM is the way to go and maybe a Daytona2- sorta high on my list now anyway.

My brother-in-law makes and sells vinyl decals so not too worried about what it originally looks like as I can get custom made decals in reduced size to fit. Spray painting can't be too hard on these wee things...prolly get a couple out of one spraycan!

Now to book out the next Mt Welly day!

SHELRACING
28th November 2007, 20:18
Thanks guys.

I'll sure get down to Mt Wellington to have a look & a chat. Might have to practise "folding" the body to fit as I could be classed as a retread now. Have tried a Track Day with the 800 but don't like the idea of chucking it down the road.

Sounds like MM is the way to go and maybe a Daytona2- sorta high on my list now anyway.

My brother-in-law makes and sells vinyl decals so not too worried about what it originally looks like as I can get custom made decals in reduced size to fit. Spray painting can't be too hard on these wee things...prolly get a couple out of one spraycan!

Now to book out the next Mt Welly day!

Saturday 15th December, 8.30am start.
Finish around 4pm.
$10.

daytona 2
28th November 2007, 20:30
ill be thereeon my new polini 910 carena s :niceone:

GerryAttrick
29th November 2007, 07:20
Now I know why you sold the Daytona 2 - look forward to being there on 15th