PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha FZS400 engine rattle

Angry Puppy
28th October 2004, 19:49
Hey guys.

My bike has got a bit of an engine rattle that I'm a little concerned about. It's a constant rattle that is associated with the engine speed (ie more revs = faster rattle) but it only rattles when I'm in nuetral or if the clutch is in. As soon as I start to let the clutch out, the rattle disapears. The rattle is not particualy loud and seems to be coming from the front of the engine, though I cannot pinpoint it exactly. Any thoughts?

Ta

FB

Hitcher
28th October 2004, 21:34
Cam chain(s)

FROSTY
28th October 2004, 22:53
cam chain -or maybee loose clutch basket

Bonez
29th October 2004, 05:56
Hey guys.
The rattle is not particualy loud and seems to be coming from the front of the engine, though I cannot pinpoint it exactly. Any thoughts?
How many ks has the bike done? May not be a major problem at all. After a few thousand ks motors do rattle a bit because of component wear blah blah. Use a long handled screw driver, put the blade on the engine an your ear to the end of the handle. This should give you a better idea where the rattle is. Have you had a carbs balanced/tuneup lately?

Angry Puppy
29th October 2004, 06:32
Carbs were cleaned/tuned last week. no change. Thanks for the other pointers, guys. I'll take a look at those. :niceone:

FB

vifferman
29th October 2004, 07:19
My bike has got a bit of an engine rattle that I'm a little concerned about. It's a constant rattle that is associated with the engine speed (ie more revs = faster rattle) but it only rattles when I'm in nuetral or if the clutch is in. As soon as I start to let the clutch out, the rattle disapears. The rattle is not particualy loud and seems to be coming from the front of the engine, though I cannot pinpoint it exactly. Any thoughts?
Yeah, I've got some thoughts.
It's f*cked!
But you've got a few options -

Buy some earplugs
Smash out the endcaps so you can't hear the noise
Take the mufflers off so you can't hear the noise
Set fire to it, blow it up, leave it in a ditch or otherwise get rid of it.

F5 Dave
29th October 2004, 08:34
Hey, you’re quite a guy. And real funny too. Haha,

buy a car dribbledick.

vifferman
29th October 2004, 08:57
Hey, you’re quite a guy. And real funny too. Haha,

buy a car dribbledick.
Not as funny as you thow, dickface!

And I've got a car already thanks. An M3. :moon: :finger:

F5 Dave
29th October 2004, 09:03
I wouldn’t know what that was, so if you are boasting it makes no rub.

From your spelling I suspect you are 15.

vifferman
29th October 2004, 09:30
:Oi: Boys! Boys! Stop squabbling and take the squabble outside.

You're spozed to be helping one another!

Why can't we all live in peace..... :pinch:

FROSTY
29th October 2004, 12:01
I just had another thought. Try running the bike on 98 octane. Unlikely by your description but it could be just pinking away in there

Angry Puppy
2nd November 2004, 06:26
I just had another thought. Try running the bike on 98 octane. Unlikely by your description but it could be just pinking away in there

Funny you should mention that. I filled up on 98 on Friday as I've been having a few starting problems. She starts a hell of a lot more easily now, but the rattle is still there. I took her in to Coleshot (yes I know they're Suz dealer, but they are very close to where I work), and asked one of the mechanics to have a listen. He reckoned it was normal engine noise. Still not convinced though. My vote it going on cam adjuster stuck. How easy is it to tweak these things? Anyone tried it? I've tended to shy away from anything vaugely cam related rather than risking completely fucking the engine :yeah:

FB