PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Tardme product?

Pancakes
27th November 2007, 10:44
I asked them the first question you'll see but still think it's a load of shit. What do you recon?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=129043358&permanent=0

Freakshow
27th November 2007, 10:49
So does it just mute the call?

scumdog
27th November 2007, 10:50
Hmm, there's a shitload of more pressing hazards out there than a cell-phone going to fry your right ear-lobe.

And cell-phones should be treated as a 'just in case' device than an 'idle meaningless chatter for hours' device anyway.

EJK
27th November 2007, 11:06
It's trademe, what do you expect :laugh:
Lots and lots of "made-in-China" stuffs that breaks after an hour of use etc...

James Deuce
27th November 2007, 11:36
Snake oil!

Crisis management
27th November 2007, 11:57
I'm with Jim this time.....everyone knows the only way to protect yourself from the harmful radiation is to wrap your head in tinfoil. :innocent:

Steam
27th November 2007, 12:14
I have informed Trademe...
The commerce commission has ruled it is illegal to claim a material has the properties named. This is noted in the Commerce Commission annual report 2002-03 on page 47. It breaches the fair trading act under sections 19, 10, 13(e)

"The Commerce Commission had
previously investigated such devices and considered that
such devices did not offer the advantages claimed.
The Commission issued civil and criminal proceedings
against Waveshield and its principal director, Miles Dixon.
The civil proceedings were brought to obtain an interim
injunction to stop the sale of the product and because its
director made it clear that he would not voluntarily halt the
promotion and sale of the product, despite information
showing that such devices do not work. Waveshield
consented to an order that it should not sell the product
pending the outcome of the proceedings. In February 2003,
the defendant agreed to continue abiding by the court
order, pending final determination of the injunction
proceedings...."

SlashWylde
27th November 2007, 12:29
On ya Steam. This product is bullshit.

Potentially damaging radiation is not going to be "transmitted directly from our ear canal to the brain". It will radiate from the antenna (not the ear piece) omni-directionally and penetrate the head to a depth dictated by the strength of the emission and the absorbent properties of the material encountered by the radio waves (in this case flesh and bone). Any effective screen one places over a cellphone antenna will by its nature reduce the received signal strength.

Furthermore, the product info sheet describes signal levels where the levels are in dB but are not listed as -20dB -50dB etc, weakening the credibility of the supposed test results. The x-axis scale is from 10MHz to 100MHz, which is too low for mobile phone transmissions. The picture shows a sticker over the ear piece which proves the product is entirely missing the point.

I could go on but I'm bored now...

Pancakes
27th November 2007, 12:31
If I found a good product I'd try to make tons of cash off it but why do so many people insist on being obvous scammers taking advantage of those that don't know any better. Pisses me off. Thanks Steam, I have reprted one other thing on TradeMe but they didn't do anything. I think as long as they get their cut they just don't give a shit.

Steam
27th November 2007, 12:37
... I have reprted one other thing on TradeMe but they didn't do anything. I think as long as they get their cut they just don't give a shit.
Yeah, that seems to be their attitude. They need to have a person whose job it is to delete stuff like that, and the other obvious scams, but they seem to have the attitude that if it makes them money and isn't too illegal, they'll let it run.
Some auctions they pull, but some they just don't care about, even after it's reported.
It's good for their business I suppose.

pzkpfw
27th November 2007, 16:10
Can't help thinking of my Father-in-law who was convinced that a few small bits of quartz placed (basically randomly) on his PC case was going to stop him receiving all that "harmfull radiation".

Some people really will believe anything.

Taz
27th November 2007, 16:15
True. Who renmembers the Y2K bug??

James Deuce
27th November 2007, 16:20
Oh FFS. That was real. I worked on projects finding and fixing those date issues for 7 years and next leap year may still be an issue.

Barclays Bank lost Billions because they didn't bother to patch anything to do with their Credit Card system.

It was real. Those lazy fat fucks in IT offices around the world did their real job as well as fixing this shit so that ignorant plonkers didn't have to pay a century's worth of power bill on the 2nd of January.

Taz
27th November 2007, 16:23
Yeah of course it was ;)

Edbear
27th November 2007, 16:24
Snake oil!

Yup!:yes:

I'm with Jim this time.....everyone knows the only way to protect yourself from the harmful radiation is to wrap your head in tinfoil. :innocent:

I have informed Trademe...
The commerce commission has ruled it is illegal to claim a material has the properties named. This is noted in the Commerce Commission annual report 2002-03 on page 47. It breaches the fair trading act under sections 19, 10, 13(e)

"The Commerce Commission had
previously investigated such devices and considered that
such devices did not offer the advantages claimed.
The Commission issued civil and criminal proceedings
against Waveshield and its principal director, Miles Dixon.
The civil proceedings were brought to obtain an interim
injunction to stop the sale of the product and because its
director made it clear that he would not voluntarily halt the
promotion and sale of the product, despite information
showing that such devices do not work. Waveshield
consented to an order that it should not sell the product
pending the outcome of the proceedings. In February 2003,
the defendant agreed to continue abiding by the court
order, pending final determination of the injunction
proceedings...."

Can't help thinking of my Father-in-law who was convinced that a few small bits of quartz placed (basically randomly) on his PC case was going to stop him receiving all that "harmfull radiation".

Some people really will believe anything.

Shhhhh!!!!:whistle:

Mom
27th November 2007, 16:24
Oh FFS. That was real. I worked on projects finding and fixing those date issues for 7 years and next leap year may still be an issue.

Barclays Bank lost Billions because they didn't bother to patch anything to do with their Credit Card system.

It was real. Those lazy fat fucks in IT offices around the world did their real job as well as fixing this shit so that ignorant plonkers didn't have to pay a century's worth of power bill on the 2nd of January.

You know what they say though eh Jim, there is a fool born everyday......thanks for saving my PC from the Y2K bug, I sweated it out for a while, was chatting to my folks in Canada/States as we clicked over midnight, they thought I might vanish into the ether, but no! :woohoo: