PDA

View Full Version : Crashed! I hate my luck

ital916
28th November 2007, 16:06
Hey all, well it seems that after saving for five years and finally getting a bike and loving riding that god decides to piss on me. Started the bike up after work to hear an odd clunking/clinking noise..ok was riding it home slow as i was a bit wary of the odd noise.Was going through the domain when the bikes rear end wobbled power pissed off somwhere and then boom horizontal time. skidded rolled a bit then came to a stop. Bike, well, scratched stuff broken stuff loose stuff and when i rode it home no power, loud clunking/clicking noise and it was acting really odd, fuel cutting in and out. Sigh i can't even afford to fix it if it is broken hard out. Double sigh :crybaby::crybaby:. Was on the verge of going incredible hulk on something aye. The guy behind me said he didn't know why it happend just the bike back end did a wierd shimmy and stopped. I wasn't on the rear brake cos i know not to do0 that on a corner, i wasn't leaning much, i put oil in her this morning, put petrol in her. Cry. Anyone want to come hav a look at her to see if she is ok, the wierd clunking noise worries me lots..:brick::brick::angry::bash::2guns::mad::mad:

EJK
28th November 2007, 16:09
Man! what happened?!

Feel so sorry about the "saving for five years and finally getting a bike" part...

ital916
28th November 2007, 16:13
I dunno aye so sad right now, when i started after work it's like there was something wrong aye, fuck i am so pissed off and sad. Steering felt a little odd after words but don't think the fork are bent the bike did go into the pavement though. I love riding aye just bad luck i guess.

Squiggles
28th November 2007, 16:15
pm me address, ill come see tonight if i have time or tomorrow evening

Mom
28th November 2007, 16:21
Anyone want to come hav a look at her to see if she is ok, the wierd clunking noise worries me lots..:brick::brick::angry::bash::2guns::mad::mad:

That loud clunking noise is more than likely parts of what was a piston flapping around inside the bore my friend. Bit of a rear wheel lock can be caused by engine seizure, and hey presto, you start saving once again. Dont despair though, not hugely expensive to repair, but dont ride it again till you have had it looked at, loud clunking noises are never good news in an engine, and tend to cause more damage the longer you leaving them clunking. Good Luck with it!

Squiggles
28th November 2007, 18:01
didnt sound clunky, sounded fine, possibly like it needed a good thrash though. Although he used a very large amount of fuel getting from work to home, i suspect something else is afoot.;)

ital916
28th November 2007, 18:32
hey all, yeah the clunk is gone now i've topped her up, 7 blooody litres!!! in 20 km. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this. Hmmm ill save up and get some stuff to fix the cosmetics.

janno
28th November 2007, 18:37
Good luck! Hope you get it sorted with the least amount of wallet pain involved.:2thumbsup

Cache Wraith
28th November 2007, 18:47
Just thank the man upstairs this didn't happen at 100kph in traffic.

Macstar
28th November 2007, 19:01
Dr Stevo wasn't able to give a diagnosis? I ain't no mechanic but I reckon if the rear wheel locked up without touching the brake pedal (And if the brake is functioning properly), then yeah the engine is likely to be the only other thing that could cause that.

Engine could do that either by seizing which apparently hasn't happened or maybe a more likely cause was slapping it down a gear without letting the clutch out slowly causing a bit of a rear wheel lock up?

Anyway mate, sorry to hear of your misfortunes. Bikes can be pretty mysterious contraptions. I remember one of my bikes started by itself once when parked in front of a cafe on Ponsonby Rd! It took off down the footpath before the disc lock slammed into the rear calliper and then it fell over on its side. Turned out to be a wiring fault...

Hanne
28th November 2007, 19:23
hey all, yeah the clunk is gone now i've topped her up, 7 blooody litres!!! in 20 km. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this. Hmmm ill save up and get some stuff to fix the cosmetics.

Yes, the whole 7 litres thing is very mysterious...
I take it things went alright when you took her for a spin this evening?
If you are worried about the cosmetics you should be able to get another decal, the purple bit looked to be the most scratched and that was only a sticker...

Hopefully you have SLIGHTLY better economy tomorrow :sunny:
(Oh, and maybe parking right up against a wall would make it more difficult to access petrol line?)

klyong82
28th November 2007, 20:08
Is it 7 litres of 2 stroke oil?? If so that is not right... hope you are ok. Heal up and get the bike repaired bro.....

ital916
28th November 2007, 20:14
hey guys, yeah im alright a bit sore elbow took the brunt i just need to tape up my jacket. Bikes cosmetic are damaged but she runs fine. I'm taking the cage to work tomorrow which is gay but im not risking more petrol being stolen from my bike until ive told the boss. I'm guessing in the next two years of learning to ride my bike will be thrashed to bits so yeah you live and learn. Thanks for coming over and helping stephen and hanne.

Peace out and ride Safe

D

klyong82
28th November 2007, 20:22
Hey Stevo and Hanne can you come to my garage and finish my paint job on a Kawasaki ZX7R...from green to orange...:msn-wink:

PirateJafa
28th November 2007, 21:27
I'd say not to spend too much fixing the cosmetics yet. Wait until you've been riding for a good three or four months first, as that is when you are most likely to take a tumble. :)

Squiggles
29th November 2007, 01:08
to be honest, i dont think its the bike failing, but more you learning to ride the bike still that caused the drop, possibly a down change, perhaps lack of revving, low petrol causing jumpiness

Im going with low petrol, and the issues on startup being it getting fuel back in the line after several litres went missing while you were at work.... :calm:

ital916
29th November 2007, 06:00
lol well it's in the past i've clamed down, hoping to going on the thursday ride tonight with macstar and hitting the bronz ride on saturday, just gotta get right back on aye lol see you all tonight or sat if you come.:2thumbsup Oh and thanks again squiggles for coming and helping. When i keep her between 10 and 12 revs she rides a hell of a lot better.

HungusMaximist
29th November 2007, 06:59
You probably know this alreadly two strokes performs it's best on the open road and the race track, don't make such a good town bike unless you ride around 2am because you never get to reach the power band with all that stopping and starting.

Hey bro, it's all a learning experience, so don't take it too hard on yourself.

idb
29th November 2007, 07:24
Ummm...is anyone else thnking that seven litres of oil sounds a little bit excessive?

Rosie
29th November 2007, 07:30
I thought it was 7 litres of petrol?
I imagine the oil tank wouldn't hold much more than a litre.

Macstar
29th November 2007, 08:00
If she's still snatchy and running rough you may have sucked through all the shit that had been laying at the bottom of your tank when it ran out of gas.

Some tanks have a fuel filter in the bottom that you can remove and check. Anyway see how you go, I don't want to put unecessary worries in your head (even though I probably just did!)

Macstar
29th November 2007, 08:03
Oh and, a 2-stroke that can hold 7 litres of oil...?! you'd be lucky.

UberRhys
29th November 2007, 08:03
I'd say not to spend too much fixing the cosmetics yet. Wait until you've been riding for a good three or four months first, as that is when you are most likely to take a tumble. :)

Some worthy advice. Some battle scars are good to have to remind you what has happened in the past. When I was learning back in the day :yawn: I put it down a few times and the scratches used to remind me everytime I saw the bike.

Just a learning curve - a steep, slightly painful learning curve...

Best advice, make sure the mechanical side is sweet then back in the saddle. :2thumbsup Cosmetics can come at a later date...

idb
29th November 2007, 08:08
I thought it was 7 litres of petrol?
I imagine the oil tank wouldn't hold much more than a litre.

Yeah...re-read it and you might be right.

motorbyclist
29th November 2007, 10:45
That loud clunking noise is more than likely parts of what was a piston flapping around inside the bore my friend. Bit of a rear wheel lock can be caused by engine seizure, and hey presto, you start saving once again. Dont despair though, not hugely expensive to repair, but dont ride it again till you have had it looked at, loud clunking noises are never good news in an engine, and tend to cause more damage the longer you leaving them clunking. Good Luck with it!

yeah, if i heard a clunking noise from the engine i would probably investigate before riding it, i think i agree with Mom here, two strokes are notorious for poor reliability - especially when the rider is new to bikes/2 stroke engines.

to lock the rear wheel without having blow'd up your engine, i would say downshift, but your 2 stroke would have simply revved, not engine braked (unless you went from like 6th to 1st at 80kph).

i might add my fxr150 (4 stroke) will generally not lock the wheel when you hit the kill switch at speed (or run out of gas)

maybe something is floating in your engine/gearbox?

7L in 20Km is 2.85km/L - which is bad even for a cage - maybe the carburetor has come loose and lost it's seal? would explain the new noise and the fuel and the eventual engine failure? maybe someone stole some gas, but unless he mucked up something else you should've just run out of gas? if someone's been fiddling with your bike be sure to check EVERYTHING

by the sounds of your posts the bike is still running? get it looked at

Ixion
29th November 2007, 16:25
Check your chain and sprockets. Is there a dead rat in the zorst ?

Mom
29th November 2007, 16:33
Check your chain and sprockets. Is there a dead rat in the zorst ?

I forgot the rats in zorst issue I have to admit. Mind you for me the uniqueness of the 2 smokers made them the best bikes to ride. I can remember saying to the cop that took me for my license, I cant ride at 30mph in top because I foul plugs, so dont mind the higher engine note, I dont want to break down on the test. The extremely peaky power band on some of my first rides were challenging to say the least........LOL

skidMark
29th November 2007, 16:54
sound like ya carbys loosing fuel somewhere...

or youve seized it...possibly big end bearing rooted.....

but i think uve blown it up.

motorbyclist
29th November 2007, 17:23
hey check the rear sprocket

my mate's dirtbike has developed a problem whereby the botls holding the rear sprocket keep coming loose (and we're talking loctite and those locnuts with nylon to stop them loosening), next set he buys is going to be castle nuts with a hole drilled in the bolt and wire through em....

anyway, first time it happened a free bolt jammed against the swingarm, maybe that was your clunking sound and caused the lockup. as for fuel, unless it lay on it's side for a few minutes i think someone stole it or something else came loose like a carby (before or after hitting the ground)

does the engine run? (don't ride it yet till you've found why it siezed or you'll make things worse)

ital916
29th November 2007, 18:37
Hey all, got back in the saddle this arvo rode to my partners house, was nerve racking but bike seemed to ride fine, i topped up more oil and checked the tank, no petrol lost form yesterday so somebody nicked it, plus i have proof there was a dried up fuel trail to where the guy wth the scooter was parked but i can't accuse him or anything grr oh well. Was fun being back in the saddle but im very nervous cornering now and had a mini panic at one corner nearly over shot but slowed down a little and made it. Im sure bike is fine but next time i see ya motorb ill check the sprocket, im no bike mechanic still learning about her so i don't want to tinker with anything.lol. Looking forward to the bronz run on sat. Hows everybody's riding experiences going, any close call stories these hols, i hope not as i've already binned twice it's not nice lol. Ride safe, have fun n i hope to see you all out on the road.

Peace

Dushy

Hanne
29th November 2007, 20:38
he's not leaking gas, the chain and sprockets were fine (first thing i checked incase overtight chain etc, could do with a lube in a couple of hundred), as for the wee bit rough while riding since he brought it, thats it getting a bit gummed up from low revs, sounds like he's riding it more revvy now and its working fine

not exactly sure what the "seizure" would be, but i suspect just not much experience on a slightly gummed up bike that's just had its fuel lines emptied might have something to do with it, i.e. not an engine issue/seizure at all

He'd be a sad man if a healthy rg150 with 8k ate the bigend

Thats the diagnosis, fuel theft (yes, its hard to believe, but its happened to me before too) very easy to see how it was done too, infact it'd be as easy as getting it from a gn :laugh: :Police:

:doh: on hanne's account!
-Stephen

klyong82
29th November 2007, 20:47
Thats the diagnosis, fuel theft (yes, its hard to believe, but its happened to me before too) very easy to see how it was done too, infact it'd be as easy as getting it from a gn :laugh: :Police:

Easier on a GN eh? sweet plenty of GN's at uni for me to do some evaluation. How the hell do you steal fuel? Must be a suzuki thing....haha:buggerd:

Macstar
29th November 2007, 21:19
Fuel is now more expensive than Coke Cola and catching up with beer.

If someone left a dozen beers on a motorcycle seat would you take them...?!

There's an idea: I'm going to buy a Monster Garage'd petrol tanker and go around steeling gas from peoples bikes and cars:mobile::devil2:

Squiggles
29th November 2007, 22:28
Easier on a GN eh? sweet plenty of GN's at uni for me to do some evaluation. How the hell do you steal fuel? Must be a suzuki thing....haha:buggerd:

turn fuel off, take hose off tank, turn the spout on the tap (yer, it rotates), position container then turn fuel on.... no fairings or other carbs in the way, was filling the lawnmower off the drumbrake gn this way ;)

motorbyclist
30th November 2007, 00:48
h
:doh: on hanne's account!
-Stephen

yeah i kinda assumed so about half way through:laugh:

sounds good then, i guess if it's running fine now it must've just been the fuel....

oh and Drider, next time you see the scooter rider have a big rant to him about how some bastard stole your fuel and caused you to crash, and point out that had you known the fuel line was empty it may not have happened. that way if it was him you'll make the fucker guilty, and if it wasn't he'll know to look out in the future

klyong82
30th November 2007, 06:00
I just use the work fuel card :shutup: to top up the cage and at the same time fill the plastic petrol container.:whistle: But for now I just have to sip petrol out of Nish's ninja.

UberRhys
4th December 2007, 09:28
Fuel is now more expensive than Coke Cola and catching up with beer.

If someone left a dozen beers on a motorcycle seat would you take them...?!

There's an idea: I'm going to buy a Monster Garage'd petrol tanker and go around steeling gas from peoples bikes and cars:mobile::devil2:

Don't forget more expensive then sponsoring a child a day in a third world country. Might have to go halvies with you on that tanker and become a petroleum transfer embezzler... :devil2: