PDA

View Full Version : K3 SV1000s starting to leak coolant

Blair-SV
28th November 2007, 20:48
Hello,

The trusty SV has started leaving little green puddles in the garage. Coolant was at a good level about 3 weeks ago and now it's down to the "low" mark on the reservoir. I took off the belly pan and checked all the hoses and can't find a wet joint anywhere.

Now there's two coolant drain hoses, big one behind the engine that comes off the top of the reservoir is dry as a bone, so I'm pretty sure it's not coming out the top. It appears the coolant is coming out of the smaller drain hose that comes out just below the water pump.

Engine temp has remained as steady as always.

So does anyone know what the little drain hose is for and why it might be leaking? Should I just fill her up and keep and eye on it or am I better getting a trained eye looking at it?

Edit: thanks to our friend google it appears that I may have a problem with the water pump seal. Investigations continue. Anyone done this job themselves? Backyard mechanic stuff or a little more technical?

Ixion
28th November 2007, 21:03
Y' water pump seal is lunched. It won't cause over heating until it gets worse, assuming that you keep topping up the coolant. But it will get worse and at a certain point the coolant can start leaking into the oil. Which is a BADThing.

Common fault, detailed thread on fixing it on SV-Portal (http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20448&highlight=water+pump&page=2)

paturoa
28th November 2007, 21:15
Also depending on how bad the seal is, water could (note I didn't say would) get into the sump.

So this is a fix to be done straight away.

imdying
29th November 2007, 06:25
It appears the coolant is coming out of the smaller drain hose that comes out just below the water pump.

Y' water pump seal is lunched. It won't cause over heating until it gets worse, assuming that you keep topping up the coolant. But it will get worse and at a certain point the coolant can start leaking into the oil. Which is a BADThing.What he said.

Also depending on how bad the seal is, water could (note I didn't say would) get into the sump.You'll have it fixed before then. A small amount of water in your oil won't bugger your motor anyway :)

Potzman
29th November 2007, 10:24
Try tightening up all your hose clamps. Had a similar issue although i never had any puddles just a bit of dribble down the side of engine after running.
Havnt had any problems since tightening the clamps :-)

Blair-SV
1st December 2007, 21:29
ripped the casing off this morning and dropped it in at Botany Honda ('cause they're my local and they'll do a good job)

To quote the mechanic "Bloody Suzuki eh? Wouldn't have happened on a Honda."