PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki GN250 gear problems

camerond
4th December 2007, 13:18
I have a 3 year old bike which has done under 5000kms and a spring has gone in the engine so the grear don't work and it needs to be taken apart so they can get to it. 9 hours and $800-$900 later!! B]Is this common for a bike so young[/B]and yet so annoying??? I'm think i should cut my losses and sell it and get a push bike I'm so bummed.:angry2:

Str8 Jacket
4th December 2007, 13:22
Welcome to the world of motorbikes!.... They are not cheap, even when they are running really well. Bike shops can charge alot of $$ to fix them, cause they can!

Patar
4th December 2007, 17:05
It's a gn, what you save on the initial cost is more than made up for in repairs...

JMemonic
6th December 2007, 11:30
You would suspect that this part would last longer than 3 years, and perhaps this is a known fault, it might pay to contact other repairers and see if they know of this problem, and while you are at it get some prices for them to do the job as well.

Although I have not personally worked on a GN in years I suspect the engine could be out and split in about an hour with the right tools so 9 hours labour seems an awful lot.

bimotabob
7th December 2007, 16:46
Hi

You won't get another Chinese GN will you/
They are junk Junk Junk.
I seen one 6 months old ridden by a lady snap it's drive chain clean though the middle of the outer link.

Regards

What?
8th December 2007, 08:24
No, that sort of fault is not common at that age/mileage. Not even on a Chinese GN. And even if it were, 9 hours to replace a broken selector shaft spring is utterly outrageous. Go shopping for alternative estimates/quotes.

Bonez
9th December 2007, 14:38
There's a GN workshop manual here- http://rs19.rapidshare.com/files/1630422/gn250.7z

You'll need 7z compresion softfare to unzip which is free and can be found here http://www.7-zip.org/

9hrs is over the top. But "it's only money".

Welcome to KB.

Bonez
9th December 2007, 14:39
Hi

They are junk Junk Junk.
I seen one 6 months old ridden by a lady snap it's drive chain clean though the middle of the outer link.

RegardsA guy at work has done 16,000kms on his from new.

Kickaha
10th December 2007, 05:30
Although I have not personally worked on a GN in years I suspect the engine could be out and split in about an hour with the right tools so 9 hours labour seems an awful lot.

You'd easily do it in that time, and the only spring on the gear selector shaft can be accessed just by taking off the righthand sidecover, although I think possibly the clutch basket may have to be removed

When you say "the gear dont work" what exactly doesn't work?

Doesn't it change gear?, does it jump out of gear?

FilthyLuka
10th December 2007, 15:06
Hi

They are junk Junk Junk.

Regards

Urg... They're fine if you look after them... Low Quality 6 month old chain snap? never... There is a reason why when you buy a new GN you replace the tires, chain and oil...

And as for rust, i've seen numerous without any, but then again there owners don't exactly leave them in the rain and never clean them... The occasional squirt of WD-40 never went amiss either.

And as for YOU (points at thread starter)

Harden up and do it yourself, GN parts are as cheap as syphilis