PDA

View Full Version : rg powervalve problem

tommorth
22nd December 2007, 19:23
i bought another rg150 on thursday guy said powervalves are broken motors poked but runs .So i brought it home pulled it out of the van an started it up it was making a light rattly sound like ball bearings but seemd to rev ok so i took it for a ride up the road up hill incase it shat itself it didnt runs fine powerband seems to work much louder then my other rg very raspy maybe the mufflers been gutted?
this arvo thought id better have a look at the power valves when i pulled the cover off there were four little bits of metal collars off the valves broken in half a little hooky thing and a spring. What i want to know is will it be ok like this or will it blow up?
:wari::wari::wari::banana::banana:

tri boy
23rd December 2007, 13:41
50/50 It will, or it will not break.:confused:
Common sence says fix it right, but who pays attention to that any more.

FilthyLuka
23rd December 2007, 13:48
do 'em right, powervalves are something that should be done right

MDR2
25th December 2007, 16:33
i bought another rg150 on thursday guy said powervalves are broken motors poked but runs .So i brought it home pulled it out of the van an started it up it was making a light rattly sound like ball bearings but seemd to rev ok so i took it for a ride up the road up hill incase it shat itself it didnt runs fine powerband seems to work much louder then my other rg very raspy maybe the mufflers been gutted?
this arvo thought id better have a look at the power valves when i pulled the cover off there were four little bits of metal collars off the valves broken in half a little hooky thing and a spring. What i want to know is will it be ok like this or will it blow up?
:wari::wari::wari::banana::banana:

Was that the one on Trademe? what did you pay in the end?

tommorth
28th December 2007, 15:51
yeah one off tardme bit more than 750 its had two top ends done in its life front tires a new bridgstone the rear is something scary like for fun made in china plastic , forkseals are poked probibly do them this arvo
just had a look at an exploded diagram at colmans the bits that broke are the spacers might pull it all apart during the week pity as it runs fine starts first kick

tommorth
28th December 2007, 15:59
got any pics off ur rg MDR2? took the other one from kerikeri to kaitaia and back on boxing day bloody good ride the mangamuka gorge is awsome ,been resealed since i last went through

FruitLooPs
28th December 2007, 19:28
I've just had the same thing 5,000km's into a new set of OEM p/valves. Bit of a bastard, I think older mileage bikes allow the valves to rattle in the ports and break the spacers/crowns.

You need to replace them else they allow more play for the powervalves, and sooner or later the top of that will break off like my old ones and then it just needs to rotate and you've got a powervalve blade having fisticuffs with your piston, also like my old set. :weep:

I'm going to see if Oyster has decided on making replacement sets of valves or not, he was taking a look into doing it for a while.

tommorth
28th December 2007, 21:30
good to know did you just replace the spacers or the whole pv

FruitLooPs
28th December 2007, 22:26
in the first case, the whole lot was gone so the whole thing needed doing. pull the valves out and check the blades for signs of damage or wear.

This time I don't think they're damaged yet, not sure though.

MDR2
30th December 2007, 19:21
got any pics off ur rg MDR2? took the other one from kerikeri to kaitaia and back on boxing day bloody good ride the mangamuka gorge is awsome ,been resealed since i last went through

not had a chance to take photos yet.

I brought mine the weekend before xmas, got it back to auckland and rode it 2 km down the road to home from a mates place, parked it up, managed to squeeze a ride in down the road to the shops (long enough to realise it needs a tune up) then with work being busy never had another chance, im now in dunedin and unable to ride it, it's killing me. have hardly had a chance to look at it. If you don't mind, could i swing by your place and measure up the stinger on your rg? i need to make one and would like to get it right.

Im envious of everyone who gets to ride their bikes at the moment.

tommorth
30th December 2007, 20:14
no worrys mate let me know when ur back in town i live near the start of huia rd

pulld pv out today much easyer to getat with the frontend off they the centre part to one of them is a bit sad the hole the bolt goes through is now oval it all a bit slopy but the other one is fine onnly one of the bolts that hold them in was tight were allen heads so someones replaced bits before previous owner told me its blown the top end twice
any one got some spare rg powervalve bits lying around???

McJim
30th December 2007, 20:21
Has anyone found a decent supplier for Rg150 powervalves? They're just little bits of metal but they cost a fortune for some reason.

MDR2
30th December 2007, 21:41
You would think Suzuki NZ would have them in stock with how regularly they seem to fault. Are they an expensive item?

I'm dropping my bike off for a service in the new year, I really hope I don't need this doing :S

FruitLooPs
30th December 2007, 22:43
You would think Suzuki NZ would have them in stock with how regularly they seem to fault. Are they an expensive item?

I'm dropping my bike off for a service in the new year, I really hope I don't need this doing :S

Are they ever mate, paid $650-700 for a new set of OEM ones from suzuki dealer in chch back in early 2006. :sick:The middle on one of those was shagged not long after on mine too and has been replaced with a 2nd hand one to complete the blades. My RG also has had blown top end at least twice and has a 0.5 overbore piston in.

If there is a big enough market I think Oyster might consider making sets, he has the skills and made a test set earlier this year which would be quite a bit cheaper than $700 i'd think. Not sure if they worked or if he makes them still though. :yes:

koba
31st December 2007, 10:46
I would be into that!
I have a kaboomerd rg motor lying arond that I was keen on giving the full treatment to. and its probably only a matter of time untill the moving one needs work...

MDR2
31st December 2007, 11:36
Hmm well I wont know if I need replacements till later on next month, I did see a second hand set floating around online a while back, can't for the life of me remember where though.

FruitLooPs
31st December 2007, 17:05
They come up on Trademe from time to time, I'd say someone like oyster would have parts since he services most of the south islands race RG's. Generally if you want to know about them he would be the guy to PM or get in touch with I would think. :)

MDR2
31st December 2007, 17:09
wheres he based?

FruitLooPs
1st January 2008, 23:28
Christchurch mate :)

PM him for more info I guess.

MDR2
2nd January 2008, 20:27
all good, chhers for your help. Moving to Dunedin in a few weeks time. Handy to know he'll be local :D

FruitLooPs
3rd January 2008, 13:28
For sure, i'm off to see him at 4pm get my RG looked at. :)

Aiolos
10th January 2008, 06:14
Has anyone found a decent supplier for Rg150 powervalves? They're just little bits of metal but they cost a fortune for some reason.

http://thetuningworks.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=30

370 quid for four. Could always sell the extra two on trademe if you can't get em to sell ya two.

MDR2
10th January 2008, 21:45
So the RGV250 valves aren't to differint to the RG150?

Spose you would assume not seeing how they can be used on the UK RG125F Version of the 150.

tommorth
10th January 2008, 22:03
not sure bout the pv themselves but spacers r the same as rgv pv are $305 each from suzuki for rg150

MDR2
10th January 2008, 22:14
Bit more reasonable then 430 pound....

Aiolos
10th January 2008, 23:54
Bit more reasonable then 430 pound....

Its only 370, cause you don't have to pay VAT. And that price is for four (4) valves. An RG only needs two.
They're also reputed to be a better design than the Suzuki part.

quallman1234
11th January 2008, 09:17
I would be into that!
I have a kaboomerd rg motor lying arond that I was keen on giving the full treatment to. and its probably only a matter of time untill the moving one needs work...

Sereval Days after this post ... It happened :bleh:. Oh wait i blew mine up as well.

The middle piece of the valve's are probably buggered but u can get theme welded up. Grab the manual of the net print it out and figure it out. Take the radiator off and the fairings so its pis easy to get in there. Ur figure it out the pv's are really simple.

Otherwise.

You can get a whole new set for 350$ from motorcyclewrecker.com (nz company).
Although i still have yet to get a reply from them!

Not too bad at the end of the day... 1100$ for a decent RG