PDA

View Full Version : Is this oil fine in my VFR400

L3X
27th December 2007, 11:34
I have got some Castrol Edge 5W30 here, that i would like to use in my VFR, i know the factory recommendation is 5W40, the engine has had vigorous amounts done to the engine, and want something that the engine will like, and are asking if its fine to use this grade oil and if anyone else has. cheers.

Dak
27th December 2007, 12:33
No, Edge is a car oil is it not? Don't use car oils in ya bike.

L3X
27th December 2007, 12:37
Yes i presume it is, kk cheers.

Will have to grab some 4-stroke bike stuff then.

James Deuce
27th December 2007, 12:50
The main reason for not using car oil is the friction modifiers added to most car oils. If you have a dry clutch this isn't sn issue but most bikes are a wet clutch. Car oil may make your clutch slip.

more_fasterer
8th January 2008, 11:06
This is probably too late, but get some Repsol semi-synth in yer (bike). For some reason the gearchange gets so much better when Repsol is used.

roadracingoldfart
9th January 2008, 06:23
No, Edge is a car oil is it not? Don't use car oils in ya bike.

Basically you are correct but i must state that some "car oils "are not only ok but reccommended to be used in bike engines and in fact were developed for bikes first and then specified for cars as a comprimise.

Cheers Paul.

FilthyLuka
9th January 2008, 11:58
castrol GTX modern should do the trick...

roadracingoldfart
10th January 2008, 20:23
castrol GTX modern should do the trick...

Protec is better suited and is in fact the oil recommended by Honda in the era the VFR was sold in NZ (It was called GTX 2 turbo tested )

I run it my race bike and have got many other guys / girls away from the evil synthetic rubbish and none have issues.

Paul.