PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Engine problem

Quasievil
29th December 2007, 07:31
I have a very weird problem with my new KLR650 2008, 5000kms.
The problem appeared two weeks ago when I started the bike (start of a 800km trip) the bike wouldnt idle and when It was diffulcult to restart.....even backfiring, I got the bike going and decided to continue, the bike ran well until about 160kms when it spluttered and coughed (like it was running out of gas) I turned it on to reserve which didnt solve anything, I filled up with a new tank of gas and continued, the problem didnt go away, I stopped and checked things out and all looked okay, tired to start the engine and again backfire etc, when I got it going it was running fine and I continued, I arrived in Wellington and thought maybe it was a clogged jet or something.
two days later I started the bike, no probs and started the return trip, all was good until about 100 kms when the problem started again, it ran crap for about 50kms then was fine again, then another 100kms it turned to crap again.
I got home and took it to the dealer, they werent sure what it was so I left it with them, even though they couldnt look at it for a week, I ended up collecting it yesterday so I could get it ready for my south island trip next week (the dealer has it booked in for a service in 5 days) I took it for a ride to see if it was the same and after 100kms ish, the problem returned. I took it into the dealer and he came out to investigate and wouldnt ya know it the bike was running sweet again.
Im lost, no idea what it can be any one got any helpful ideas for me please ?

The Stranger
29th December 2007, 07:45
Have seen similar on a new outboard with a piece of random plastic in the float bowl.

paturoa
29th December 2007, 08:33
I've had similar over the years including it being intermittent. But nothing quite like that.

Once was a bad plug on a DR500 (well I swapped it, and the problem never returned). For that, the amount of throttle didn't make much difference but was worse at higher revs.

The other was water in my tank, and this was also intermittent. When I braked or went down hill I think there must have been water in the tank that got sucked thru the petcock into the carb. Normal driving and acclerating was fine.

skidMark
29th December 2007, 08:49
wrong heat plugs......

but more likely fuel problem.....

drain the bowls...../ pull ya carbys apart...

mind you the backfiring is odd.....

makes me suspect more the buggered plugs scenario and/or the plugs are incorrect heat.

i would have said timing had maybe slipped but that makes no sense because that wouldn't come right by itself.

possibly crook CDI

pull carbs apart....clean /replace plugs.

1-2 hours total....then all is well.

better than fluffing about...out with ze toolz!

SM

oldrider
29th December 2007, 09:07
Do the easy bits first. Check the battery connections then put about 50-100mls (depending on size of tank) of Methylated spirits in the fuel tank, to clear any water out.

How long had the bike been sitting before you bought it? :confused: Cheers John.

Paul in NZ
29th December 2007, 09:23
Do the easy bits first. Check the battery connections then put about 50-100mls (depending on size of tank) of Methylated spirits in the fuel tank, to clear any water out.

How long had the bike been sitting before you bought it? :confused: Cheers John.

Thats good advice - check the battery connection, plug lead connections and drain the floatbowl if possible and tip a little meths into the tank...

Quasievil
29th December 2007, 11:22
Thanks all, my research keeps pointing to the carbs.
I did the battery check as well as output, its running at 13.8 volts which is good.
Only thing left is the fuel/carb, the bike is new and wasnt sitting more than a few weeks so shouldnt be water.

will see what the dealer finds, hopefully it will be fixed cause me of to the south island next week

notme
29th December 2007, 11:30
My engineering methodology is kicking in - since it is new, it could be a manufacturing issue - piece of swarf somewhere it shouldn't be (like the float bowl suggestion) or a gasket that wasn't quite done right or a vacuum line that missed out on getting clipped on securely....

It's disgusting what gets let thru so called "quality" control sometimes!

EDIT: check the earth connection to engine....

oldrider
29th December 2007, 12:14
My engineering methodology is kicking in - since it is new, it could be a manufacturing issue - piece of swarf somewhere it shouldn't be (like the float bowl suggestion) or a gasket that wasn't quite done right or a vacuum line that missed out on getting clipped on securely....

It's disgusting what gets let thru so called "quality" control sometimes!

EDIT: check the earth connection to engine....

I agree but while it is intermittent it still comes in at seemingly regular occurrences IE: 100km into a journey, sounding more like fuel system fault!

Could be heat induced electrical dry joint.

There are some long long roads between nothing down here Quasi, hope you get it sussed before you leave! :sweatdrop John.

Quasievil
29th December 2007, 13:27
There are some long long roads between nothing down here Quasi, hope you get it sussed before you leave! :sweatdrop John.

im sure you got a trailer :crazy:

oldrider
29th December 2007, 16:39
im sure you got a trailer :crazy:

Ahh grasshopper, trailer very handy but best to avoid need in first place! :spanking: John San.

sAsLEX
29th December 2007, 17:36
Have a look at the plug, had crazy things happening to my bike which smelt like carb problems but ended up being the electrode on the spark was shot. I know its only new but a spark plug should be an easy fix?

Conquiztador
29th December 2007, 20:41
Sounds like a CDI problem. Poor soldering on the PC board inside the CDI. As new you should not open as this will bugger up the warranty. Also possible that there is a poor connection from the CDI or on the way.

Good Luck!

pete376403
29th December 2007, 23:05
The '08s are having a few electrical problems caused by wires chafing under the tank. With my one it showed up as the left indicator (only the left) not working. Motorad found a wire with the insulation rubbed off.

Have a look at http://www.klr650.net/, lots of info there

MaxB
30th December 2007, 00:05
The '08s are having a few electrical problems caused by wires chafing under the tank. With my one it showed up as the left indicator (only the left) not working. Motorad found a wire with the insulation rubbed off.

Have a look at http://www.klr650.net/, lots of info there

+1 I have heard the same wiring thing too. Not up to the usual Kawa attention to detail.

If it is not this then the only other thing not mentioned so far is the carb icing. Does the CVK40 have the water pipe de-icing system on the KLR?

pete376403
30th December 2007, 22:32
Does the CVK40 have the water pipe de-icing system on the KLR?
Don't think so - sounds a little modern for a KLR. However it does have a smog control system and this page
http://www.klr650.marknet.us/decalif.html gives details on dealing with it. Note from that page says : "Initially, I'd no intention of removing the KLR's Evaporative Emission Control System. It doesn't weigh much, and seemed to have zero effect on performance. Zero effect until one sunny day, a valve within the system (don't know what this valve's called..we'll call it the "buzzkiller valve" for now) got clogged (after 13k miles) and stranded me at the intersection of Mayhem & Chaos during rush hour. (it just died, showing symptoms of fuel starvation) The KLR had never stranded me before, so this was the fatal mistake for Buzzkiller & his assembly" - which sounds a little like Quasis problem

Kittyhawk
31st December 2007, 01:36
Clean the fuel lines get some fuel cleaner stuff from Repco and run it in, check all the usual basics battery, fuses etc...

Sounds like the circut of fuel isn't flowing somewhere, but as for the backfiring, hmm...it's a puzzler..checked spark plugs?

You'd think for a new bike it'd be running alot better than that, maybe there are faulty parts or someones accidently put in the wrong wire its hanging down somewhere and its shorting out on something.

Geez it hurts to think!

Gazzar
31st December 2007, 06:02
Hi mate just bicked up a little pockit bike and it did same thing after running it for about 10 min and found it was the air inlet hole in the fuel gap so give that a go hope you have it fixed for the trip

Gazzar
31st December 2007, 06:05
Hi mate just bicked up a little pockit bike and it did same thing after running it for about 10 min and found it was the air inlet hole in the fuel cap so give that a go hope you have it fixed for the trip