PDA

View Full Version : 2008 SME newbees' ride. Sat 12 January. Meet at Botany BP 10am.

ehab2weelr
8th January 2008, 18:41
this is the first 2008 smc new riders ride!!!!!!! it well be heading south towards Kawakawa bay (did i spell it Wright??? :blank:)

great for all riders at all skill levels, those that want to go hard can do so and those that want to chill back and learn how to be safer on open roads can chill back and fallow the leader....

SAT 12th Jan 2008
meet at Botany BP gas station
depart time 10:30am
destination Kawakawa bay.

hope the weather is good and hope to see as many riders as possible.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: :banana:

Macstar
8th January 2008, 22:34
SOS: Get Stevo to set the pace for fear of a repeat of the last ride out that way...

P.S. You know I'll be in though!

MGST
9th January 2008, 07:12
How long ( hours ) do you think this will be? Got to be somewhere later in the afternoon but want to come for a ride first. Kawakawa Bay isn't as far as Kaiaua right?

ital916
9th January 2008, 12:58
I'm in, but anyone keen to head off to botany from the uni gym, i'm lost as hell whenever i try to get there. This way anyone else in the city can also convoy. Is the rain day sunday?

motorbyclist
9th January 2008, 17:31
I'm in, but anyone keen to head off to botany from the uni gym, i'm lost as hell whenever i try to get there. This way anyone else in the city can also convoy. Is the rain day sunday?

yeah i too have no idea where the botany BP is, couldn't we meet somewhere a bit better known and maybe a bit more central?

i say uni gym

plus if i come i'll be on the fixxer, so the less riding around lost the better; that seat is going to be murder by lunchtime

MGST
9th January 2008, 17:50
I can meet you guys at the Uni gym at 9:15, and we leave there at 9:30am will be heaps of time to get to Botany. Easy ride down the motorway and along Ti Rakau Drive. Weather looks mint for the whole weekend.

ital916
9th January 2008, 18:58
Cool i'll check my plans for friday night, might have to go out after the get together at squiggles but if not i'm down to meet at uni gym for nine fifteen on sat. Riding while hung over is a big nono :nono: plus all the leaning during riding when hungover = :sick: lol

ehab2weelr
9th January 2008, 21:24
ride shouldint be that long could be back before 3pm,:msn-wink:

PirateJafa
9th January 2008, 22:27
If some people are meeting somewhere central, stop at the Botany BP too - no reason for east siders like Ehab and myself to have to go into the CBD and back lol.

Although I could go and pick ya up from your place and show you the way to the Botany BP Dushy!

Pencil me in for this, if the bandit is running by Saturday! :)

motorbyclist
9th January 2008, 23:33
If some people are meeting somewhere central, stop at the Botany BP too - no reason for east siders like Ehab and myself to have to go into the CBD and back lol.

yea we'll go that way, just we normally meet at uni as everyone knows where it is

if the ride is out on scenic drive or SH16, the likes of phurrball, twinkle and I have to do the 20-30 minutes trip to uni and then back again, but it's easier and simpler to meet at a standard place or maybe pick up riders as we go via major 'actually on our route' gas stations (like the botany one in this case, i assume)

it's just that auckland is so big that us non easties dont know where the botany BP is - it's like meeting at the henderson gull station; 5 minutes from my house, a good launch into the ranges, but no-one else knows where it is

(both my backspace and delete keys are sticking, so that was bloody difficult to write and so i'm not rewriting it to sound better)

PirateJafa
10th January 2008, 00:14
Actually the main reason I wanted to meet at the Botany BP is that I don't know where the gym is.

But this works too. :P

motorbyclist
10th January 2008, 01:00
Actually the main reason I wanted to meet at the Botany BP is that I don't know where the gym is.

But this works too. :P

lol it's basically the bike parking on symonds st at the uni

if you were a student (being a student orientated club) you'd know, but that doesn't matter

i recall trumplady having some difficulty too lol

skidMark
10th January 2008, 06:01
don't just goto kawakawa bay

goto kaiaua....if short on time go twilight road....

to get there....

as u come down the hill into whitford (where the bp is) there a roundabout...instead of going straight ahead and heading towards the bp.......go right at the roundabout.

get to the end of the road....go right....follow it...there a sigh that says scenic route or something....

thats twilight road...

go thru there....amazing twisties...and pop you out in clevedon..skipping maraetai etc....

which means you can goto kaiaua alot quicker and get to kaiaua and back in as much time as it takes if you take the long way along coast just to kawakawa bay.

twilight road is very tight and twisty though so take it slow if you are new to it , once u learn it it's nice.

up to you i recommend it though.

ital916
10th January 2008, 06:44
Kaiaua was pretty technical last time guys, It gets pretty hairy for noob with a month and three point five weeks riding experience lol. As in holy fuck where the fuck is a fucking straight piece of road argh lol Kawakawa bay sounds nice and tame.

shingo
10th January 2008, 08:19
don't just goto kawakawa bay

goto kaiaua....if short on time go twilight road....

to get there....

as u come down the hill into whitford (where the bp is) there a roundabout...instead of going straight ahead and heading towards the bp.......go right at the roundabout.

get to the end of the road....go right....follow it...there a sigh that says scenic route or something....

thats twilight road...

go thru there....amazing twisties...and pop you out in clevedon..skipping maraetai etc....

which means you can goto kaiaua alot quicker and get to kaiaua and back in as much time as it takes if you take the long way along coast just to kawakawa bay.

twilight road is very tight and twisty though so take it slow if you are new to it , once u learn it it's nice.

up to you i recommend it though.

twilight rd has just been resealed with metal chip so it aint that good for riding at the moment. A group of use were out that way on monday and had to skip it because of this, was pretty disappointing as i had heard it was a nice road to ride.

PirateJafa
10th January 2008, 08:22
Evidently you haven't been out there before. ;)

The road to Kawakawa consists of a coupla klicks of windy roads with a cliff on one side and rocky beach on the other. The road is approximately half a metre wide for each lane, and you have to be careful around corners because the cars pretty much always cross the centreline up there.

On the bright side, with a bit of enticement I suspect we could work our way over to the twilight road - one of my favourite stretches of tarmac out that way! :)

trump-lady
10th January 2008, 08:30
lol it's basically the bike parking on symonds st at the uni

if you were a student (being a student orientated club) you'd know, but that doesn't matter

i recall trumplady having some difficulty too lol

Hey dont make fun!
Im directionally challanged, always get lost, but I know where the gym is now.........I just gotta work on getting there on time :)

ital916
10th January 2008, 11:46
Well i'll take it as people will be meeting at the gym then lol I'll be there for nine fifteen if im coming *ill post on fri if i am*. Lol i'm sure it will be a fun ride but please take into account noobs and their abilities *sorry to be emphasizing* but on a few of the rides I've been on, there have been some hairaising moments! As in open road riding at the moment i'm comfortable at 80K...sorry guys but thats what i'm comfortable at and i'm not gonna push it so yeah see you all on saturday nine fifteen at the gym hopefully.:headbang::woohoo:

PirateJafa
10th January 2008, 14:29
Apparently there are roadworks (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=64607) on the Twilight Road, so scratch that idea.

MGST
11th January 2008, 07:49
Well i'll take it as people will be meeting at the gym then lol I'll be there for nine fifteen if im coming *ill post on fri if i am*. Lol i'm sure it will be a fun ride but please take into account noobs and their abilities *sorry to be emphasizing* but on a few of the rides I've been on, there have been some hairaising moments! As in open road riding at the moment i'm comfortable at 80K...sorry guys but thats what i'm comfortable at and i'm not gonna push it so yeah see you all on saturday nine fifteen at the gym hopefully.:headbang::woohoo:

Yep see you at 9:15. Yay someone else to be a nana with me :niceone: I'm not a noobie, just that my bike is more comfortable at 80ish than 100ish.

motorbyclist
11th January 2008, 10:17
i'll be on an fxr, so we'll see how much punishment i think it needs on the day - might go TEC or just hang around with you newer riders rather than blowing the engine up trying to keep up with the bigger bikes

remember there is very little skill in going fast in a straight line; it's the corners that count

and going slow and not crashing is a bazillion times better than going fast and hurting yourself/ruining your bike

Maverick
11th January 2008, 15:17
I also have a ride going on Saturday, mine starts out at Shell Westgate, 10am, its a good ride for newer riders as long as you are comfortable riding at open road speeds (100kph) as required. Check out the calender on the main page (top right) if you want more info

Mav :cool:

Badger8
11th January 2008, 17:22
Hey guys, i'm keen to tag along :yes: gotta scrub in the new tires, so will be keen for pootling along and taking it easy with the 80 k'ers (of course i only do 70kph on my L plate officer :innocent: )
Was looking to head that way anyways, so worked in perfectly. Will see y'all at the botany BP. Is that the one on the corner as you go left on Chapel Rd, before the 70k zone?

Macstar
11th January 2008, 19:21
Hey guys, i'm keen to tag along :yes: gotta scrub in the new tires, so will be keen for pootling along and taking it easy with the 80 k'ers (of course i only do 70kph on my L plate officer :innocent: )
Was looking to head that way anyways, so worked in perfectly. Will see y'all at the botany BP. Is that the one on the corner as you go left on Chapel Rd, before the 70k zone?

Yep that sounds like the right gas station. Catch ya there!

Winter
11th January 2008, 20:27
God i wish i could ride! how long does it take for bones to knit! Have fun yall!

Its beaut out that way. Just don't end up on the rocks like some other poor chap did.

Badger8
12th January 2008, 14:45
Biker down on the way home :( (NOT me before you start yelling NOOB! :bleh: )

I left the bunch after Kaiaua and headed for home back through the twisties toward kawakawa bay (The GN wasnt gonna keep up on the straight roads ahead, and i'd had my fill for the day). Pootling along and a Bandit pulled up, then overtook me and the two cars in front on the final straight stretch before the real tight twisty patch just before kawakawa bay. I passed the cars, and lost sight of him as he went into the first right hander. Came round the corner to find the bandit up the bank, and the rider sitting in a tree. :shit:

Pulled over, and by the time i was off my bike and walked up the bank he was vertical. Pretty shaken, helmet hit the trunk firmly, and knee hit a branch, but okay all things considered. Minimal damage to the bike which surprised me. He'd managed to keep it upright till the last second, so didnt skid far or flip. Broken front left indicator stalk, and casing came apart, but reassembled and indicators still worked. Gear shift bent back 180 degrees under the footpeg, but managed to use a spanner and a whole lot of muscle to get it back to a workable angle. Pick the grass and sticks off, and she was looking pretty good.

Had to laugh at his comment "Shit, better not tell the missus about this, she'll try and make me sell it"
"Nah mate, you didnt crash, some idiot backed into the indicator moving his bike around in the carpark. And the gear shift always looked like that ;)"

Funnily enough he was happy to sit in behind me doing nana pace back toward botany after that. :yes: Led him through suburbia to the motorway, and sent him on his way.

Glad to see you're okay mate, and take it easy out there eh? :niceone:

Badger8
12th January 2008, 14:57
Thanks for a great ride y'all! Would've loved to have carried on with you, but the ol GN just aint much cop on the wide open rd's, it would've been dark by the time i got home!

The new tires are scrubbed in nicely now, only a baby chicken strip left on each side on the back now :)

Couple of photo's from the stops.

Ragingrob
12th January 2008, 16:13
2nd photo, 2rd bike from left, is that a matt black CBR?? :2thumbsup it's my twin!

ital916
12th January 2008, 16:41
Hey guys, it was a great ride out there! Got some great experience and got the boot scraping at one point lol WOOT! had some hairaisings moments but luck and learning from past mistakes prevailed lol experience is gained by doing eh. Only major one was up in the kaiaua twisties went wide and ended up in the opposing lane :Oops: but was quickly back in my own. Learnt a lot today, big thanks to ixion for sticking with me and helping me out. Changed the fork setup, she still handles like a dream but a little less aggressive. Big ups to motorb *dare i say it for want of his ego exploding, but i'd say he's a pretty darn good mentor with things bike related* and macstar *with his look of if i ever hear bout you binning again i'm gonna confiscate your bike...and race it round lol one more in the garage eh :laugh:.* Anyway time for a chill eh, might go catch the new aliens vs predator movie, supposedly mindless shit...sounds great then haha *anybody else keen to go catch it tonight...always more fun when a group starts throwing insults in the theatre*

Peace out

Drider

PirateJafa
12th January 2008, 16:48
Great ride, beaut weather and a fun route. Can't really ask for more.

Rear wheel was making funny noises as I pulled into the garage, so I think I'll have a look at it. Me'n Stephen might not have had it quite centred after tightening the chain.

I suspect I might go stand under the garden hose first though - DAMN it is hot.

Macstar
12th January 2008, 19:55
Biker down on the way home :( (NOT me before you start yelling NOOB! :bleh: )

I left the bunch after Kaiaua and headed for home back through the twisties toward kawakawa bay (The GN wasnt gonna keep up on the straight roads ahead, and i'd had my fill for the day). Pootling along and a Bandit pulled up, then overtook me and the two cars in front on the final straight stretch before the real tight twisty patch just before kawakawa bay. :

Never good to hear but at least not one of riders from today's ride! Changing subject, I read my owners manual for the Hornet tonight and apparently you only have to treat the bike nice for the first 500 kms, not 1000kms! I'm on 320kms now, so halfway through tomorrow's ride I should be able to give her some shit!!:niceone:

Badger8
12th January 2008, 20:05
Never good to hear but at least not one of riders from today's ride! Changing subject, I read my owners manual for the Hornet tonight and apparently you only have to treat the bike nice for the first 500 kms, not 1000kms! I'm on 320kms now, so halfway through tomorrow's ride I should be able to give her some shit!!:niceone:

Kickass! :rockon::headbang:
of course when she rolls from 499.9 to 500, it's not a license to ring the tits off her y'know :bleh:

Yeah, was some guy bringing his bike back up from hamilton and took the scenic route. Dont think he realised he was heading into such tight twisties!

ital916
12th January 2008, 20:44
So was he actually sitting in the tree? lol glad to hear he is okay, yeah those roads are pretty twisty! Would be funny if youo rocked up on your ginny and was like wassup and he was like you know..nothing much just chillin in the tree..parked my bike upside down over there on the bank, that way the sun doesn't damage the decals. :laugh:..glad hes okay though.

Badger8
12th January 2008, 21:10
So was he actually sitting in the tree? lol glad to hear he is okay, yeah those roads are pretty twisty! Would be funny if youo rocked up on your ginny and was like wassup and he was like you know..nothing much just chillin in the tree..parked my bike upside down over there on the bank, that way the sun doesn't damage the decals. :laugh:..glad hes okay though.

Yeah, it was the weirdest scene. i thought i was seeing things at first... no big skidmarks, no flipped bike, just looked like he rode up the bank and lay down for a rest. Just sorta lay the bike down coz she was tired and sat down lookin out at the road watchin the traffic go by.

motorbyclist
12th January 2008, 22:53
good ride guts; no crashes and nothing too silly

though next time i see a certain cbr rider gunning it down the road without a helmet there might be a few words about basic safety (plus i assume the fine if a cop saw that would be fairly heavy)

and keep at it D, at only 2 months you're doing pretty well. it's good to see a rider with self control who's not pushing themselves past their limits for the sake of keeping up with the pack. just keep working your confidence/experience/skill up and you'll be up the front in no time;)

Anyway time for a chill eh, might go catch the new aliens vs predator movie, supposedly mindless shit...sounds great then haha *anybody else keen to go catch it tonight...always more fun when a group starts throwing insults in the theatre*

bugger, i should've checked here earlier; just went and saw "I am legend"

pretty good movie, actually

EJK
12th January 2008, 22:56
I had more fun ;) lol

klyong82
12th January 2008, 23:08
Darn wish I was there....looks like a lot of fun.

EJK
12th January 2008, 23:10
You get on a bike! :bleh: lol

ehab2weelr
12th January 2008, 23:42
i would like to say thanks for all the guys and mai (haha) for showing up today, didnt expect that mant rieders to show up, thanks:niceone:

it was a nice ride great day too. now i need to change my oil so no more rides for me till i get that done.......:pinch:

MGST
13th January 2008, 19:14
Thanks for a really nice day out. I enjoyed it, but my little machine didn't so much and has decided to start bleeding all over the place. Poor little thing, l've admitted it to intensive care for surgery and a blood transfusion :doctor: Hopefully surgery goes well and the recovery period will be short.

ital916
13th January 2008, 19:17
crap that ain't good..whats the diagnosis. Yeah my gearbox is playing up after the ride, how do i check the transmission oil and change it if need be??

ital916
13th January 2008, 19:22
Think i'll give the bike a break tomorrow until i can learn how to change transmission oil and get some haha don't wanna mess the gearbox up. On an update note with the forks, the bike handles like a dream now, it's not nearly as twitchy or jumpy. Found out that i need to jump down more gears when riding now too...first gear for most tight corners is good. Oh an kim are you seriously quitting biking? Why?

Ixion
13th January 2008, 19:53
Good to hear that dropping the stanchions has improved things.

MGST
13th January 2008, 19:55
how do i check the transmission oil and change it if need be??

Dunno about 2 strokes but on a 4 stroke the engine oil is the gearbox oil, it's an all-in-one affair. I should imagine a 2 smoker would be the same, but check first. To change it there will be a sump plug on the bottom of the cranckcase ( under the bottom of the motor / gearbox, it looks like a bolt ), unscrew it AFTER you've put a 2L icecream container there and let it drain out. Then put the plug back in, change the filter, and fill it up throught the dipstick hole. Fire it up for about 15 seconds so it can build oil pressure and then shut it off and let it sit for a while on level ground and centre stand if you have one ( 10 mins should be enough ) and then recheck the oil level and top up if needed. EASY

Ixion
13th January 2008, 20:00
Nope. Two stroke is QUITE different. There'll probably be either a level plug or dipstick to show oil level. Oil basically never needs changing in a two stroke, just top it up if necessary (seldom is). No oil filter of course. And no oil pressure, obviously.Oh, and no sump, naturally.

ital916
13th January 2008, 20:04
lol cool so just get oil check level and pour some in, but if the gearbox is still sticky adjust clutch and pump in new iridium spark plug which was put in not too long ago anyway.

Ixion
13th January 2008, 20:42
Pretty much. If the level is significantly down, y'd want to find where it went. In theory should never go down, but a little bit gets out here and there. Oh, and have a good sniff of the oil, before you top it up. You don't want to smell petrol in the tranny oil.

motorbyclist
13th January 2008, 21:46
Dunno about 2 strokes but on a 4 stroke the engine oil is the gearbox oil, it's an all-in-one affair. I should imagine a 2 smoker would be the same, but check first. To change it there will be a sump plug on the bottom of the cranckcase ( under the bottom of the motor / gearbox, it looks like a bolt ), unscrew it AFTER you've put a 2L icecream container there and let it drain out. Then put the plug back in, change the filter, and fill it up throught the dipstick hole. Fire it up for about 15 seconds so it can build oil pressure and then shut it off and let it sit for a while on level ground and centre stand if you have one ( 10 mins should be enough ) and then recheck the oil level and top up if needed. EASY

LOL

two strokes are completely different to a 4 stroke - there is no head to lube and the crank is lubed by the oil in the fuel - so only the gearbox needs oil and the gears more-or-less swim/splash in it without any pump

and as such, as ixion said, 2 strokes very rarely need oil changes as there's nothing really there to degrade the oil (unless something is seriously wrong with the gearbox and/or crank bearings/seals)

though i remember for a while (may still be the case) the honda CRF250 and 450 (four stroke dirtbikes) had seperate engine and transmission oil to increase the life of the gearbox etc

Static
15th January 2008, 16:08
2nd photo, 2rd bike from left, is that a matt black CBR?? :2thumbsup it's my twin!

i think that would be mine and its not matt black its sort of a gun metal with a bit of blue :p

skidMark
8th February 2008, 03:54
i think that would be mine and its not matt black its sort of a gun metal with a bit of blue :p

he also said 2rd from the left is that instead of 3rd becausre it was sideways and it's a honda orrr?