PDA

View Full Version : where would i get a clutch cable made

JimO
13th January 2008, 13:38
my boys NZ 250s clutch cable has broken and the local bike wrecker doesnt have another, there used to be a cable maker in Dunedin but they are no longer in existence, i still have the outer so only need a new inner.

cheers Jim

Jorja
13th January 2008, 13:53
The guy up here in Auckland makes them but there will no doubt be a couple of bike shops down your way that make them. You could ring around. If you have no joy you could perhaps look at sending it to the guy I know up here with details on what you want and get him to send it back. A bit of a hassel though.

JimO
13th January 2008, 15:03
i asked at a bike shop and they said they would have to send it away and also would clip the ticket on the way so im trying to keep the cost to a minimum

Jorja
13th January 2008, 15:06
Well it souldn't cost much for postage. If you included a prepaid envelope for the shop to send it back, why not just email a few shops out of town if you get no joy locally and ask if they will make it up for you?

R6_kid
13th January 2008, 16:09
it's not hard to do, one of the wreckers in auckland has done cables for me a number of times. It's just a matter of having the cable cut to length and then soldering/welding on the same size connectors on the end.

imdying
13th January 2008, 17:55
Any motorcycle mechanic should be able to do this... they'd be a pretty sad arse motorcycle mechanic if they hadn't added that string to their bow :no:

Failing that, I'd go see Barry at Auto Replacements, or maybe Sims Brake Services. :yes:

Failing that (cause I've no idea if they do them), you can send it to me and I'll do it for you, but you need to be aware that I'm quite forgetful, only do them on weekends, and given those things, it is likely to take a few weeks :whistle:

xwhatsit
13th January 2008, 19:39
I went into Mt Eden motorcycles once after a clutch cable. Was quite desperate to get one as soon as possible, the guy said he didn't have an RS one (of course) but to ride in and he'd see if he could find something that fit. Went upstairs, came back with about 6 or 7 cables that looked similar and found one that was good by trial and error.

Chances are a local bike shop has something that fits. It doesn't matter if the outer is a shade too long, the most important bit is the engine-end, as they often have that metal sleeve. Complete new cables don't seem to be much more expensive than getting inners made.

Alternatively, learn how to do it yourself. Soldering iron and some ends. I've seen videos, doesn't look very hard.

JimO
13th January 2008, 19:43
the broken one was one i replaced the last broken one with, cable broke on the 1st one, knob came out of this one and dissapeared, i will have a hunt for one tomorrow

Rosie
14th January 2008, 07:23
Melbar Cables in Wellington made me a new Clutch cable for the sherpa. I think it cost about $80 including freight, and only took about a week to get it sorted (including postage time).

JimO
14th January 2008, 10:34
i am on the trail of a dead Nz250 at the moment which i can get reasonably cheap so will see how that goes for bits

imdying
14th January 2008, 10:36
Let us know how you get on :)

Do you perchance have an LPG torch, or a wee butane torch?

JimO
14th January 2008, 10:44
Let us know how you get on :)

Do you perchance have an LPG torch, or a wee butane torch?

na mate im a tiler no need to set things on fire usually:niceone:

xwhatsit
14th January 2008, 11:10
You can get those tiny little butane pen torches from DSE for about $30-40 IIRC. Those would have enough grunt, wouldn't they?

imdying
14th January 2008, 11:25
Not 100% sure, but I bet they do. I think I've got one around here somewhere, I'll give it a go... I can tell you that a MAPP torch is bloody tricky.... waaaay to grunty :lol:

Ixion
14th January 2008, 11:43
You can get those tiny little butane pen torches from DSE for about $30-40 IIRC. Those would have enough grunt, wouldn't they?

Yes, though the smaller pencil type have an annoying habit of running out of fuel at the critical moment. But they would be hot enough, I've used them for silver soldering.

I prefer to either use a low silver content solder, or use an oxy torch and bronze. But the latter needs a VERY delicate hand or you will stuff up the end of the wire and make it brittle.

Pixie
14th January 2008, 11:49

You can get a gas soldering iron/hot air source/torch for under $25 from Jaycar.

Mt eden motorcycles sell inner cable and nipples to DIY

Use liquid flux (like Duzall ) and hard solder Not electrical solder ( available from Cory's)

JimO
14th January 2008, 18:55
got a whole bike with running engine, good tyres, etc for $150 so that will become a donorcycle

imdying
15th January 2008, 06:54
So you're all sorted mate?

awayatc
15th January 2008, 07:10
The aftermarket parts shop here has multifit cables for sale....various nipples that u can solder on...Our local automotive electrician sell the brass nipples for 50 cts each. And I have done em on the BBQ gas burner before...works,
I have also fixed the clutch end off a cable successfully with a brass screw type clamp from an old powerpoint/plug...
Good luck, shouldn't be to hard....:niceone:

imdying
15th January 2008, 09:54
A BBQ gas burner would be perfect :yes:

Ixion
15th January 2008, 10:06
I used to use Mum's gas stove. Worked well, though it was a very dangerous practice . Only safe to do when Mum was out !

Waxxa
15th January 2008, 10:06
I've had cable's repaired on the spot at Atomic wreckers in Barrys Point road on the north shore. Try them.

JimO
15th January 2008, 13:50
So you're all sorted mate?

yes thanks for all the advice