PDA

View Full Version : Replacing clutch cable!HELP PLEASE

Cuban
14th January 2008, 21:09
Hey guys, Im not sure how to replace the clutch cable on my bike. There is a thing that the cable runs into that looks like a chain cover, do i need to pull this off?
heres a coule of pics to show you what i mean, its an fzr600 and i cant find any info on it on the net for how to do it, dont wanna pull the thing to bits...

Cuban
14th January 2008, 21:31
the chain gaurdy bit wont come off without taking of the gear foot peg, and the hole has a little hex nut thing that turns when i pul the clutch cable. I undid the hex nut bit to see if i could get to the cable end that way but couldn't.
Please help fellas, its driving me insane

onearmedbandit
14th January 2008, 23:24
Yes, you will need to remove the cover. It's not oil-tight so don't worry, just undo the cover, unclip the cable from the inside, and pull the cable through. Why are you removing it in the first place?

Waxxa
15th January 2008, 16:31
Are you able to tie a cord onto the outer sheath of the clutch cable and then pull the entire cable thru? (this way the cord is following the route of the cable and when you have the cable repaired you tie the cord back onto the cable and thread it back thru). This way you dont have to take anything apart.

Atomic wreckers on Barrys Point rd, he will repair them on the spot.

Cuban
15th January 2008, 17:00
sweet thanks fellas, yeah have threaded a cable already.

Champ!

Cuban
21st January 2008, 16:23
OK boys, having threaded the cable up, it now needs adjusting...
It engages at the end of its play. Now i have played with the screw bits at the handle end of the cable, but since that has done nothing, i need to fiddle with the other end. Does anyone have any tips on an idiots guide to FZR clutch adjustment?

awayatc
21st January 2008, 21:12
You slacken of the nut, then you screw that bolt with screwhead in until clutch feels ok.Secure the lucknut again (ringspanner)while holding the bolt in place.
Good luck:niceone: