PDA

View Full Version : Ladies'-only scooter training days

EssGee
23rd January 2008, 09:07
Have you just bought a scooter? Or maybe you're thinking about buying one? Then come along and spend a few hours getting to know all about scootering with our team of experienced instructors in a safe environment. You can use your own scooter or one of ours. Lunch provided. $99.00 per person inc gst.

To be held at the Auckland Kart Club, Rosebank Road, Avondale.

Please email dione@triumphnz.co.nz for a registration form and more details

Dates are:

Sunday 10 February
Sunday 2 March
Sunday 13 April

Grub
23rd January 2008, 09:21
Ladies Only Scooter Training Days

Have you just bought a scooter? ... {snip} ...

You cannot, in law, have a Ladies-only anything. You are a commercial operation. Your post has been copied to the Human Rights Commission in the form of a complaint.

HenryDorsetCase
23rd January 2008, 09:27
You cannot, in law, have a Ladies-only anything. You are a commercial operation. Your post has been copied to the Human Rights Commission in the form of a complaint.

:D

nice! I was on the verge of taking you seriously..............

nearly got me.

ital916
23rd January 2008, 14:31
why ladies only? Just curious.

motorbyclist
25th January 2008, 14:01
hold on, did you say ladies with bikes?:drool:

EssGee
27th January 2008, 12:14
The reason for it being ladies only is that some women feel easily intimidated, so we are endeavouring to provide a safe, friendly environment for the training day. No offence guys, if you feel you need some training I am sure we can put something on for you.

ital916
27th January 2008, 12:29
Maybe those women need to HTFU lol just jokes esgee. On a more serious note though, do you also provide classes for basic handling for women on motorcycles? Or just scooters?

EssGee
27th January 2008, 14:38
We don't do training on motorcycles, but AMCC have rider training days that cater for all classes. There are more details on their website www.amcc.co.nz

Squiggles
27th January 2008, 14:38
some women feel easily intimidated

Lifes tough baby, get a helmet

Grub
27th January 2008, 14:54
The reason for it being ladies only is that some women feel easily intimidated, so we are endeavouring to provide a safe, friendly environment for the training day. No offence guys ....

Offence taken. That's just the attitude the Human Rights Act was enacted to shut down.

ital916
28th January 2008, 15:46
I reckon it is a little *a lot* unfair *after pondering it for two days* to say women get intimidated so we'll hold women only classes as i'm sure some guys too feel intimidated when first learning to ride. But it would just illicit the response that i'm an uncaring guy. Lol like squiggles said get a helmet....an HTFU.

Hanne
28th January 2008, 20:52
i'm sure some guys too feel intimidated when first learning to ride.

I think that learning to ride and finding it intimidating/ scary/ challenging at first has much more to do with personality and previous experiences etc, ie the INDIVIDUAL than it does with gender.

Ok, I can see where this idea is coming from. In my experience there are many more male riders than female riders (when it comes to motorcycles, anyway... scooters are perhaps a different story). Women new to bikes might find the gender balance different to that that they face in other areas of life, and one way to read 'different' is to feel intimidated.

I see no problem with mentoring systems, but surely they should be extended to all of those wishing to benefit from them.

A supportive environment to learn in is beneficial to both men and women. It is far better to offer such an environment than to send illequipped/ inexperienced riders in out of their depth and expect them to cope just because they are male and should therefore somehow be hardwired to 'deal with it' and survive every time a new, potentially dangerous, situation occurs.

Personally, I have never felt intimidated (neither by my bike nor those I ride with), but I was fortunate to have capable mentors, and Dushy makes a valid point. Open these things up to everyone and then promote organisations such as WIMA, which have a specific interest in women who ride and will be able to help with networking etc., to those who are interested. Then everyone wins.

Squiggles
28th January 2008, 23:19
I think that learning to ride and finding it intimidating/ scary/ challenging at first has much more to do with personality and previous experiences etc,.............................................. ........... Then everyone wins.

Vote Hanne for first lady?

Macstar
29th January 2008, 18:51
My two cents:

I used to get pissed off at UOA cause I'd get regular and unblockable emails informing me of the Tutakana programme which I couldn't attend, (free tuition and support network for black people only). I understand the programmes' need and purpose but imagine what the reaction would be if there was a white-only tutoring programme...

Anyway, now I'm going to contradict myself and say this:

We all know what the average/typical teenage male learner rider is like: everything to prove... put him in front of girls and it gets worse!

I say do what you want girls, but maybe offer a mixed one at the same time incase there are male scooter learners that are keen too.

MGST
29th January 2008, 19:20
Well here's one for you. There's a guy that I work with. He's a bit of a lowlife and not made of money so I try and help him out with advice etc where I can. I have been trying to get him to try a scooter from a hire shop to see if he likes it and reacons he could ride it to work from Henderson each day, thereby saving $1000 parking each year plus petrol etc. I also told him riderskills.co.nz does a get-you-started scotter course for 80 notes. But there is no way he will entertain that idea on the off chance that there might be some females on the course too ( this guy is 50 remember ). He would rather tough it out and learn the hard way ( by himself and binning etc ) than take a course coz a girl might be there and may catch on quicker than him. WTF? Sometimes he makes my head hurt!

motorbyclist
29th January 2008, 22:53
My two cents:

I used to get pissed off at UOA cause I'd get regular and unblockable emails informing me of the Tutakana programme which I couldn't attend, (free tuition and support network for black people only). I understand the programmes' need and purpose but imagine what the reaction would be if there was a white-only tutoring programme...

*rant deleted*

don't get me started on things like those

EssGee
31st January 2008, 12:22

Yeah, he wasn't joking. I thought this site was supposed to support a motorcycling community as Grub has mentioned in one of his other threads. Surely the decent thing to do would have been to give a 'heads up' not run off and narc. Well spent tax dollars there...

By the way Brett. If you would like to join us on the 10th, we will waive the entry fee for your attendance. Please consider this a personal invitation.

Macstar
31st January 2008, 14:37
Yeah, he wasn't joking. I thought this site was supposed to support a motorcycling community as Grub has mentioned in one of his other threads. Surely the decent thing to do would have been to give a 'heads up' not run off and narc. Well spent tax dollars there...

By the way Brett. If you would like to join us on the 10th, we will waive the entry fee for your attendance. Please consider this a personal invitation.

Wow!, I thought he/she was joking too.

UberRhys
31st January 2008, 14:56

:Offtopic: Dude, did you feel offended that you can't go along? That you might miss out on learning to ride a scooter in a hassle free environment? Pretty OTT to moan and complain about something as beneficial as this. You would be better off having a winge about bikini contests asking for 'Ladies' or moaning about the lack of female rugby players in the Super 14! I mean really - is this just complaining for the sake of it?

Grub
31st January 2008, 15:20
It's actually a fairly serious issue which has been dealt with by way of supplied information and the matter is now all happily settled.

Its just a reminder that we have this stupid law and now we all have to abide by it.

ital916
31st January 2008, 20:00
In all fairness, the law is there and grub made a fair complaint. Whether it is over the top or not, equality is equality eh, that means everybody gets the same treatment. Now can we go to the human rights commission about motorcycle dealers? lol

Macstar
31st January 2008, 20:21
Here's some more leads for the 'equal rights pursuers':

Female only gyms, areobics, and self defence classes.
The UOA's Tutakana programme for black people
The UOA's Law school which may still have entrance exceptions for certain races.
Men's touch rugby teams, rugby teams, sailing teams, soccer, tennis etc etc.
and female sporting teams.
UOA's unofficial policy on not penalising international students with bad grammar (I used to mark exam transcripts).
Most of the scholarships that are offered to students (as they all in some way discriminate by race, wealth, grades etc).

Anyway, sure there's heaps more. Point is, use some discretion here and common sense. How far DO YOU WANT PC'ness/equality to go?

motorbyclist
31st January 2008, 20:37
Here's some more leads for the 'equal rights pursuers':

Female only gyms, areobics, and self defence classes.
The UOA's Tutakana programme for black people
The UOA's Law school which may still have entrance exceptions for certain races.
Men's touch rugby teams, rugby teams, sailing teams, soccer, tennis etc etc.
and female sporting teams.
UOA's unofficial policy on not penalising international students with bad grammar (I used to mark exam transcripts).
Most of the scholarships that are offered to students (as they all in some way discriminate by race, wealth, grades etc).

Anyway, sure there's heaps more. Point is, use some discretion here and common sense. How far DO YOU WANT PC'ness/equality to go?

engineering does it too - of the 550 places 25 can be given to maori/"pacifika" students over other students to "encourage" them... basically it is possible that a student can displace a better qualified one due to race

then there's the Maori rugby team: how is it that this is acceptable while a Pakeha team would be considered racist?

and scholarships should really only be based purely on grades (being high or low), but if it's privately funded well there's not much that can be done about it

babyblade250rr
1st February 2008, 22:50
Can us guys come and watch atleast??

Nagash
1st February 2008, 23:07

Picking up chicks at a scooter training course.. why didn't I think of that.

klyong82
2nd February 2008, 00:49

Better still you can pillion each one of them on ya Yamahahahahahaa R6:2thumbsup