PDA

View Full Version : How do we know when the clutch cable is right?

ital916
30th January 2008, 06:51
Hey guys, I'm installing a new clutch cable for the first time and i was just wondering how do we determine to adjustment settings at both cable ends for a RG150 as in the tightness of the cable. Don't want to snap the new cable lol

Thanks

Drider

awayatc
30th January 2008, 06:59
every cable will need some slack....so install it so that the first few mm you move the lever is required to take up the slack in the cable...
Good luck:niceone:

Max Preload
30th January 2008, 22:14
You're not going to snap the cable... but you need a little freeplay at the lever to ensure the cable isn't putting any weight on the clutch, and that it stays with that freeplay.

xwhatsit
30th January 2008, 22:35
No, you won't snap the cable. I adjusted mine by trial and error; adjusted the engine-side end so there was a smidgen of freeplay, then rode around my driveway, clutching in and out, adjusting the lever-side end until it was suitable.

T.W.R
30th January 2008, 22:44
Generalised amount of free-play between the lever edge & perch is roughly 3mm on most bikes some a bit less & some a bit more

FROSTY
3rd February 2008, 10:29
Crank your lever adjuster right in and adjust up the cable at the bottom end.As long as theres some freeplay all is good. You wont break the cable -You MIGHT fry the clutch if theres no slack in the cable-unlikely though.