PDA

View Full Version : WTF!? Did they change the cable over time!?

ital916
31st January 2008, 06:35
Hey guys, well yesterday I got my new clutch cable imported by a suzuki dealer for my RG150, went home to install it and no matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't fit. So i compared it to the other two RG cables in my possesion and found out it's a shorter cable and it has a wierd 90 degree plastic bend up near the end that attaches to the clutch lever?? I swear it just won't fit. Either colemans has given me the wrong cable or suzuki changed the design?? Taking it back to the dealer today to get ti changed, hopefully without a fuss. If they do make a fuss I have two other cables which don't have the wierd bits and shorter length to compare to. Any thoughts on why the cable is different? Is it an RGV250 cable??

Thanks

Drider

FilthyLuka
31st January 2008, 09:16
Hey guys, well yesterday I got my new clutch cable imported by a suzuki dealer for my RG150, went home to install it and no matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't fit. So i compared it to the other two RG cables in my possesion and found out it's a shorter cable and it has a wierd 90 degree plastic bend up near the end that attaches to the clutch lever?? I swear it just won't fit. Either colemans has given me the wrong cable or suzuki changed the design?? Taking it back to the dealer today to get ti changed, hopefully without a fuss. If they do make a fuss I have two other cables which don't have the wierd bits and shorter length to compare to. Any thoughts on why the cable is different? Is it an RGV250 cable??

Thanks

Drider

Hey mate, i needa go to colemans at some point too today, pick up some braided lines and what not.

Chances are they changed the cable design, i can take a look for you if you like. PM me when you plan on goin there if your keen

koba
31st January 2008, 09:32
Very likley it has an aftermarket clutch lever and clamp bit on the bike too.
My rg has a 90 curved steel bit at the lever end.
Are you the first owner?

ital916
31st January 2008, 09:42
Hey koba, na i'm not the first owner but the previous owner said that it was stock with no aftermarket parts, apart from iridium plugs. Man I'm starting to get real sick of fixing shit with my bike, i've spent more time fixing her than riding her. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

White trash
31st January 2008, 13:19
There's a chance either way that your dealer has supplied the incorrect cable or someone's changed the percha and lever, although this wouldn't normally require changing the cable.

Take the old one and the new one to Colemans and ask what gives.

Sully60
31st January 2008, 13:25
I know that there was an issue with the clutch cable interferring with the speedo drive area.
The steel curved part of the clutch cable end was at the wrong angle and ended up busting the back of the speedo housing were the speedo cable connected.
This may have been superseded, but that would make the cable easier to fit if anything. Take it back and if you get any jip tell them to show you how it should fit.

ital916
31st January 2008, 20:30
I took it back, they said it should fit, I said it didn't, they said thats what suzuki has been selling for the past couple months and owners had been fitting them, i was like well it doesn't fit. They gave me a refund which i'm hoping will come into my account by tomorrow. I asked how long to get a proper fitting one as the number on the cable didn't match the serial on my old one and they said three weeks to six months. sigh. I think i'll get one made.

homer
31st January 2008, 21:57
hey dude

if your able to do it you can solder the cable ends if this will help you
i did it with a clutch cable one time and it lasted longer than the original cable end

Id be guessing that they order the part for you and got the wrong wodel of the same bike

Right part but wrong year maybe

Magua
1st February 2008, 18:27
The cable I gave you didn't work?

bugjuice
1st February 2008, 19:00
if your able to do it you can solder the cable ends if this will help you
dunno how long solder would last!!

bugjuice
1st February 2008, 19:07
If the thousands of cables I've done is anything to go by, longer than the pistons and rings ;)
ah, k then..
must be just how i solder then!
would never have guessed that'd hold! Is it some industrial strength then?

onearmedbandit
1st February 2008, 19:09
The solder on my clutch cable you did imdying is still holding up well, 2yrs later.

ital916
1st February 2008, 19:21
Got it repaired for ten bucks and chucked it on, the clutch bites at almost full extension though lol, hey maqua your cable broke when we put it on lol but thatnks heaps for giving it, was still a bloody good thing of you to do :2thumbsup. Anyway i'm gonna get a second one made up and put in the sleeve of the one maqua gave me, as i reckon the one in the will last on a year more. Better be prepared. Ten bucks people...ten bucks! freakin awesome

onearmedbandit
1st February 2008, 19:32
Great news. Is it properly adjusted at both ends? (In regards to the travel you mention, generally large adjustments are taken care of where the cable goes into the engine, finer adjustments are done by the adjuster on the lever itself.)

bugjuice
1st February 2008, 19:33
The secret is in spreading the cable before you solder it. Generally I think I just use a 50/50 or 60/40, don't really get too concerned about it, although there are definitely some better suited than others.
huh.. learn something new every day..

Ixion
1st February 2008, 19:38
The secret is in spreading the cable before you solder it. Generally I think I just use a 50/50 or 60/40, don't really get too concerned about it, although there are definitely some better suited than others.

Seen numerous ones come back with the end broken off (i.e. my solder joint is still there with 2mm of cable sticking out), but that's due to the cable twisting as it's not correctly seated in the lever, the outer mount is fucked allowing the cable outer to flex (which causes the inner to rub on something, often the outer). I can spot these things when the cable comes in (groove worn funny in the outer ends or whatever) and I did used to tell people that they need to correct that problem or it'll break again in fairly short order... but too many people just ignore your advice, then come and 'have a go' when it breaks again soon. Now unless someone seems like a nice person, I'm like meh, they'll figure it out.

Sure, I'm an arsehole, but dickheads that won't listen made me that way :rolleyes: New Zealand... a nation of people doing half arsed repair jobs.

Wot 'e said. I've made many and they'll not come off.

You must splay out the cable end, unravel it a wee bit, before you solder, then fill the little cup with the solder.

Most cables break either becuase they're not lubricated, or because the clutch lever is worn, If the lever is worn at the pivot bolt, it changes the geometry, so that when you pull the clutch in, it bends the cable near the nipple, instead of the nipple turning in its socket.

I use a low percentage silver solder, but tinmans solder works well. You must use a good flux, I use Duzall, in the little green bottle.