PDA

View Full Version : M/C Stuff this weekend (2&3 Feb)

Macstar
1st February 2008, 11:45
As I like to do - here's my last minute announcement:

Sat 10AM I'm meeting three others at Mt Eden Motorcycles to do a bulk purchase of gear. Be there at that time if you are also keen to buy something.

Sat Avo: Gonna go check out the Mt Welly track racing. (Look at my previous thread in the AMC forum for a map of where this is).

Sun: Weather permitting.... a ride. Might try to incorporate a swim somewhere (beach, hotpools, river etc).

The regulars all know my mbl number, so txt me if keen!

ital916
1st February 2008, 12:18
I'll come to mt eden on sat to get my gloves replaced! Strength in numbers, you guys can back me up if they fuck me around maybe .lol

Ragingrob
1st February 2008, 15:31
What kinda priced helmets are you guys looking at?

Macstar
1st February 2008, 16:00
$500 after discount

Ragingrob
1st February 2008, 16:05
:doh:

Wowawooa!

klyong82
1st February 2008, 18:24
You can buy the cheaper ones Rob...and still get a discount. I might turn up for fun...

Ragingrob
1st February 2008, 18:40
You can buy the cheaper ones Rob...and still get a discount. I might turn up for fun...

Oh serious, do you know what kinda helmets they're looking at? Cause at the moment I've just got an $80 job from trademe. And now my gf is started to ride I thought it'd be a good chance to buy a nice new helmet and she can have mine to start with. What kinda price range would the cheaper but still decent helmets be?

ital916
1st February 2008, 19:24
Buy your gf a proper helmet, not the $80 buck one, if she does fall off *and I hope she doesn't* the helmet will be a life saver! And then you'll be like "i'm glad i didn't get that one off trademe"

Ragingrob
1st February 2008, 19:28
Lol I've got the $80 one! :( Looks like I need to spend money, more money, sometime soon :(

klyong82
2nd February 2008, 00:45
Mt Eden's got plenty of brands some cheappies from $100 to not sure. Most of the basic models are made with thermoplastic shell from $100 to $300. $300 to $500 tend to be made of fiberglass (a little heavier than plastic but stronger) while the >$500 will be the tri-composite shell type.

So it depends how much you think your head is worth. I have 2 helmets which I got them at very insane prices. one is the thermoplastic which can be noisy while the fiberglass ones are better design, comfortable and quieter I use this when I go riding with you guys.

The guys have a deal on Arai helmets. Good pricing but just come along and you might get a group/bulk discount. You never know till you try. Even if you dont buy one you can still come along to try out some helmets before deciding what brand you wanna buy.

As for the gf :eek: just give her the $80 helmet lol dont waste your money on her use the money for the CBR :laugh: Just joking....

BTW: Anybody want an old HJC ZF7 helmet 8 years old medium size. Good for pillion.

Patch
2nd February 2008, 07:40
BTW: Anybody want an old HJC ZF7 helmet 8 years old medium size. Good for pillion.

It is recommended that the helmet is replaced after 5 years from date of manufacture, similar reason you replace it after it has sustained a reasonable impact.

Cut the straps of it an bin it. Buy the best quality helmet for your head shape.

See Mike, he'll look after you.

klyong82
2nd February 2008, 07:53
It is recommended that the helmet is replaced after 5 years from date of manufacture, similar reason you replace it after it has sustained a reasonable impact.

Cut the straps of it an bin it. Buy the best quality helmet for your head shape.

See Mike, he'll look after you.

Thanks Patch :niceone: I know that and that is why this helmet is stored in the closet never to be worn while the other 2 helmets are less than 1 year old. Just a little pity to throw it away

Ragingrob
2nd February 2008, 08:53
I'm gonna head to the motomail outlet on Sunday with Soph and see what we can get, there are some nicely priced nitros there apparently but I'll see what I like :2thumbsup

bikerboy011
2nd February 2008, 09:15
I wish i could make it, am currently overseas and i'll be back on the 5th is it possible to change the date lol. I need new leather gloves and maybe a helmet.

Macstar
2nd February 2008, 12:59
I'm gonna head to the motomail outlet on Sunday with Soph and see what we can get, there are some nicely priced nitros there apparently but I'll see what I like :2thumbsup

I've had my Nitro for 2 years now and have been relatively pleased with it. I had a friend crash head first with one once and it didn't shatter to pieces thanks to the fibreglass outer shell. Just note that the Nitros overall are a around a medium for safety and can't compete with the likes of $700 Shoei or Shark etc.

I wish i could make it, am currently overseas and i'll be back on the 5th is it possible to change the date lol. I need new leather gloves and maybe a helmet.

The deals were done today mate. We collectively bought 5 helmets, visors, 2 pairs of gloves and other bits and pieces. Got 15% across the board however the shop we bought from were already slightly cheaper than the other stores so it ended up being pretty good! Try again in a few months as I might have some more money then for a one piece leather suit...

Macstar
2nd February 2008, 13:05
P.S. Rob - See if my old Nitro fits you and I'll do ya a mates rates. I can give you my personal guarantee that it has never touched the ground (even from falling off a bike seat or something). I have a clear and tinted visor for it.

HungusMaximist
2nd February 2008, 17:02
Trust me Rob after you've smelled Macstar's Helmet you wished you never knew him....

So, what did everybody buy?

Squiggles
2nd February 2008, 18:39
$130 for the nitro's at motomail outlet if they fit ya, have a couple of others that looked decent, as well as some ladies jackets and other bits and bobs

Sofa
2nd February 2008, 18:49
Rob - Sweet as sounds good, We'll head in to Motomail tomorrow middayish I think and see what's up. Did you get some stuff today? Still all good to head round tomorrow arvo?

motorbyclist
2nd February 2008, 19:47
Cause at the moment I've just got an $80 job from trademe.
buy a new helmet (even a $130 one) and do it soon

my HJC helmet cost me $300 about 3 years ago now, so probably due for a replacement. been dropped onto concrete once (fell off vfr seat) and then there was my highside onto grass/barbed wire fence. still sturdy but obviously i'm looking to buy a new one - probably the same one again lol

my point? i first had a $130 one and it didn't last long and the first time i needed it i felt it change shape around my head (shoelace caught on brake lever, i went down like a tree)

even if you're broke like me, atleast buy the $300 one, your skull/brain/life is worth it

Thanks Patch :niceone: I know that and that is why this helmet is stored in the closet never to be worn while the other 2 helmets are less than 1 year old. Just a little pity to throw it away

giving it away? mint condition? hardly used? i could do with a helmet for a pillion.....

Squiggles
2nd February 2008, 20:11
Rob - Sweet as sounds good, We'll head in to Motomail tomorrow middayish I think and see what's up. Did you get some stuff today? Still all good to head round tomorrow arvo?

Nah didnt get anything today, yeah its still all good to come round. I'll prolly bung the dr carb into the gn tomorrow and hopefully she'll be good to ride round :niceone:

Ragingrob
2nd February 2008, 20:31
Cool, well do you wanna meet us at motomail or anything tomorrow? Or was there nothin' you want? Awesome Soph will love you haha!

bikerboy011
3rd February 2008, 05:07
Fair enough, sounds good id just get gloves for now and just save for a another suomy helmet. I think they're pretty sweet.

The deals were done today mate. We collectively bought 5 helmets, visors, 2 pairs of gloves and other bits and pieces. Got 15% across the board however the shop we bought from were already slightly cheaper than the other stores so it ended up being pretty good! Try again in a few months as I might have some more money then for a one piece leather suit...[/quote]

klyong82
3rd February 2008, 11:53
giving it away? mint condition? hardly used? i could do with a helmet for a pillion.....

yes giving it away. It was dropped from the bike seat till the ground at one stage hence 2 paint chips. Black in colour and has a slight fadely iridium visor. First come first serve.

ital916
3rd February 2008, 12:09
I find sharks a good brand of helmet, mines very comfortable and safety wise they rock. Plus they look cool, if you can snap up a 07 one they are usually discounted since the decals are out of date, will save you bout a hundred bucks.

motorbyclist
4th February 2008, 16:04
yes giving it away. It was dropped from the bike seat till the ground at one stage hence 2 paint chips. Black in colour and has a slight fadely iridium visor. First come first serve.

are you coming on friday? if so, do you mind bringing it with you?

it sounds much better than my current pillion helmet

klyong82
4th February 2008, 19:38
are you coming on friday? if so, do you mind bringing it with you?

it sounds much better than my current pillion helmet

Not sure if I will be there this Friday but the helmet is now use if you want it.