PDA

View Full Version : Flying motorcycle expected to launch next year

Bob
17th November 2004, 00:16
The Dutch developer of a flying motorcycle says he and his backers are in talks with several Canadian companies about becoming the world's first manufacturer of the futuristic vehicle aimed at revolutionizing personal transportation.

The Dutch firm Spark Design claims the vehicle — which looks like a cross between a helicopter and a fully faired bike — will be able to take off and land vertically and reach 125mph.

The rotor and propeller are folded until the machine needs to fly. Once airborne the rear-mounted propeller pushes the craft along and the unpowered main rotor spins to give the craft lift. It is designed to fly under the 4,000ft threshold used by commercial aircraft.

They say that provided sufficient investment continues to be made, it could be ready for test flights in as little as a year.

bear
17th November 2004, 09:48
How can the main rotor spin to give the craft lift if it is unpowered? Bags not being first to test the thing.

Quasievil
17th November 2004, 09:52
Awwww Fuck how hard will it be now to get my knee down!!!!!!!!:angry2:

vifferman
17th November 2004, 10:00
How can the main rotor spin to give the craft lift if it is unpowered? Bags not being first to test the thing.Bob didn't post the link - it's actually an autogyro, not a helicopter.

http://www.sparkdesign.nl/actueel/20041013palv/20041013press.html

And I dunno that you could call it a motorcycle; it looks like that strange tilty Scarver, with two rear wheels and one front one, and it's 1.2m high, 4m long, and 1(?)m wide. More like a 3-wheeled car.

Bob
17th November 2004, 10:40
And I dunno that you could call it a motorcycle; it looks like that strange tilty Scarver, with two rear wheels and one front one, and it's 1.2m high, 4m long, and 1(?)m wide. More like a 3-wheeled car.

Odd you should mention the tilty-bike thing - it was designed by the same people.

inlinefour
26th November 2004, 08:12
The Dutch developer of a flying motorcycle says he and his backers are in talks with several Canadian companies about becoming the world's first manufacturer of the futuristic vehicle aimed at revolutionizing personal transportation.

The Dutch firm Spark Design claims the vehicle — which looks like a cross between a helicopter and a fully faired bike — will be able to take off and land vertically and reach 125mph.

The rotor and propeller are folded until the machine needs to fly. Once airborne the rear-mounted propeller pushes the craft along and the unpowered main rotor spins to give the craft lift. It is designed to fly under the 4,000ft threshold used by commercial aircraft.

They say that provided sufficient investment continues to be made, it could be ready for test flights in as little as a year.

My type of flying involves both wheels on the ground, just. :cool:

MikeL
26th November 2004, 09:03
I want one of those.

Juan
26th November 2004, 10:20
try one of these.......

Looks FUN

Bit expensive tho :blink:

flying you want??? (http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=415)