PDA

View Full Version : Always listen to squiggles

ital916
3rd February 2008, 12:42
Well Stephens gonna say I told you so but looks like my bike has had another attack of two strokeritis doh! And here I was thinking it was all better now, just wondering where we can get a cheap ht lead from as the dealers are charging 30 bucks for them!

shingo
3rd February 2008, 12:58
I'd be interested to see it, might be able to get one from my work.

Ragingrob
3rd February 2008, 21:01
Lol honestly... is it worth it? 2-stroke commuting and the such seems to be a lot more trouble than it's worth!!! How much was your bike just curiously?

sAsLEX
3rd February 2008, 21:07
Supercheap

xwhatsit
3rd February 2008, 21:31
2-stroke commuting and the such seems to be a lot more trouble than it's worth!!!

Don't confuse 2-strokes in general with a shagged-out 150cc learners bike.

Just like GiJoe1313 shouldn't confuse thumpers with a shagged-out 250RS.

breakaway
4th February 2008, 01:28
Bad luck dude. My RG150 was raced and thrashed within an inch of it's life every time it was ridden and it was still reliable as hell!

Squiggles
4th February 2008, 01:42
Its only good advice if you take it onboard :)

ital916
4th February 2008, 06:50
She hasn't been thrashed, she's hardly been broken in in ten years, once i get to the bottom of the problem, probably a wiring fault somewhere! I'm gonna thrash her so hard she's gonna wish that she didn't sulk so much, i'm over being her slave. Oooh betty's gone and done it now :devil2:

bomma
4th February 2008, 20:57
She hasn't been thrashed, she's hardly been broken in in ten years, once i get to the bottom of the problem, probably a wiring fault somewhere! I'm gonna thrash her so hard she's gonna wish that she didn't sulk so much, i'm over being her slave. Oooh betty's gone and done it now :devil2:

if this wasnt a biking forum, i'd be worried :whistle:

klyong82
4th February 2008, 21:04
See what happens when you listen to Squiggles .... he keep telling ya to buy a suzuki lol......if you got a Honda like majority of us....non of this would have happened. Honda they last forever.....:whistle::dodge:

Chrislost
4th February 2008, 22:44

now now, just start raping it...
im pretty sure thats what 2smokers love.

if its been sitting around for years the crank seals might have gotten dry...

happened to my amtes NSR and he spend about one day riding it for every week fixing it...

till he got a x race motor

then he crashed
:buggerd:

Squiggles
4th February 2008, 23:23
if its been sitting around for years the crank seals might have gotten dry...

ffs dont make him paranoid :laugh:

The only reason this thread is here is because he supposedly had a bung HT lead, which he then jiggled and so forth till it worked

ital916
5th February 2008, 06:38
Refer to ym thread in sports/road bikes...titled poos and wees *not in anyway related to cowpoos..think i made him angry :sweatdrop*, i'm over trying to fix it myself lol time to go to a mechanic.

Squiggles
5th February 2008, 10:43
Refer to ym thread in sports/road bikes...titled poos and wees *not in anyway related to cowpoos..think i made him angry :sweatdrop*, i'm over trying to fix it myself lol time to go to a mechanic.

*Sigh* So if its not getting spark and wiggling the lead then gives it spark, we take it to the mechanic. Perhaps change the title of the thread :msn-wink:

motorbyclist
5th February 2008, 15:04
a mechanic?! what?! we aren't to that stage yet!:spanking:

my experience with bike mechanics (the shop ones, that is) is they fix one problem but cause another, and often have different standards of quality to the rest of us:bash:

plus they charge upwards of $60 an hour:buggerd:

they random old guys working out of their garage, on the other hand, are very good... but as a result they take forever to even get round to looking at your bike:(

for me, a mechanic is only an option when more than one carby needs fiddling with or i have no time to do it myself or don't have the tools to do it (like tyre changes and fitting endless chains)

then again i'm just a poor westie who's seen way to many jobs from mt eden and henderson

just think to yourself, what would the mechanic do? from squiggle's last post i think he'd replace that lead

ital916
5th February 2008, 16:07
Well if someone knows where to get a cheap ht lead and is willing to come help fit it tomorrow evening lol i'm willing, I'm pretty sure shops are open tomorrow aye?

shingo
5th February 2008, 16:11
The offer is still there to try get one from my work.

motorbyclist
5th February 2008, 16:13
everything should be closed tomorrow, how much have you been quoted for the cable?

Subike
5th February 2008, 16:19
Im pretty sure that if you gat your mums dress making tape,
wander out to betty and measure her hot lead,
that you could walk to the nearest garage and get an automotive HT lead thats just say 10mm longer.
For say $5?
Wander off home, with said lead,
Get mums dress making scissors, chop off the end of the lead you dont need, that is if you have to ,
And put the fire back into betty
Simple?
Na really complicated and totally the domain of and aurthorised money grabber, er um mechanic
Anybody else agree?
Oh and ther are some garages that still sell automotive parts , which are open 24/7

ital916
5th February 2008, 16:45
Well i have to take betty out tonight, so crash start, kick start fucking smack her with a bat til she starts, start i need to get her going. I'll take the tank off again tomorrow and check the ht lead, i'll see if any garages are open tomorrow. I've been quoted 30 - 40 dollars for a lead.

Squiggles
5th February 2008, 20:36
I've been quoted 30 - 40 dollars for a lead.

Sounds like its replaceable then
Just take that down to the auto sparky/repco (go see shingo, he's out behind wild west honda) or whatever, and get a new lead. They probably sell it by the metre, and for 10cm might not even charge you

And, while you're at it, GET A BLOODY MANUAL IF YA DONT HAVE ONE, ITS NOT HARD! Google reveals this on our very own KB: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=29991 It'll even have a troubleshooting section, perfect for testing that lead if we've led you down the wrong path (I am led to believe that the lead is faulty because you had no spark until you wiggled the cable a wee bit, and that you now have no spark again (why the thread has this title))
Heres another bit for you:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Frames-bodywork/auction-138765080.htm

ital916
5th February 2008, 20:46
I have a bloody manual! It is bloody useless, doesn't tell ya shit. Doesn't tell ya how to remove fuel tank or change spark plug etc :Pokey:

McJim
5th February 2008, 21:06
My missus used to have an RG150e - only aware of it breaking down 3 times. First time - ran out of petrol (riding it back from where I bought it) - solution - fill her up
Second Time - clutch cable snapped - got a new clutch cable for a few bucks
Third Time - ran out of petrol (new owner that just bought it) filled it up - al good again.

Nice bikes and a great wee commuter - I used to commute 26kms each way through Auckland on one.

ital916
5th February 2008, 21:52
Apart from the cable snapping, nothing much has gone wrong, bulbs blew and stuff. I'm sure it's just a bloody wire somewhere aye thats jiggled loose.

motorbyclist
5th February 2008, 22:59
I have a bloody manual! It is bloody useless, doesn't tell ya shit. Doesn't tell ya how to remove fuel tank or change spark plug etc :Pokey:

they don't "need" to
as far as suzuki is concerned, that stuff should be done by one of their trained mechanics.

that's why there's owners manuals and then there's workshop manuals...

get the workshop manual and it's got exploded diagrams of every part of the bike, labelled with names, service intervals, tolerances and part numbers. invaluable if you go to do anything to the engine

still doesn't tell you how to do anything, but gives alot of hints as to how you go about it

mind you, nothing like surprise springs behind sump plugs and circlips you can't see holding things together (or better yet, nothing holding things together so you spend hours looking for nothing before you give up and find a hammer)

"when all else fails, get a hammer. if that doesn't work, read the manual":laugh:

PirateJafa
5th February 2008, 23:47
mind you, nothing like surprise springs behind sump plugs and circlips you can't see holding things together (or better yet, nothing holding things together so you spend hours looking for nothing before you give up and find a hammer)

And things behind covers on the wrong side of the bike? ;)

Squiggles
5th February 2008, 23:50

Rofl, does she leak at all after you pinched some gasket goop?

motorbyclist
6th February 2008, 00:14

yes, especially things behind covers on the wrong side of the bike

combined with murphies law, you get oil leaks

opening the correct one first, not recognising that was what we wanted and proceeding to open the wrong one and creating that leak, and then getting the manual and seeing the firing/TDC marks were on the first bit we opened was probably not the best way to go about it

well, it is if you want to get home by 5am

bloody suzukis:laugh:

PirateJafa
6th February 2008, 06:54
Rofl, does she leak at all after you pinched some gasket goop?

Only a little bit, but I threw on a new gasket and she runs beaut (read "dry").

yes, especially things behind covers on the wrong side of the bike

combined with murphies law, you get oil leaks

opening the correct one first, not recognising that was what we wanted and proceeding to open the wrong one and creating that leak, and then getting the manual and seeing the firing/TDC marks were on the first bit we opened was probably not the best way to go about it

well, it is if you want to get home by 5am

bloody suzukis:laugh:

Quiet ya damn pansy. :beer:

shingo
6th February 2008, 07:23
"when all else fails, get a hammer. if that doesn't work, read the manual":laugh:

I always thought it was "when all else fails, get a hammer. If that doesn't work get a bigger hammer"
It seems to work for most home mechanics i've talked to

ital916
6th February 2008, 08:23
I have a workshop manual..........it's useless.........I have a hammer, now i'm going to bash something :bash: :clap:, hey david, you should complain that no maccers was open for you at five am lol

PirateJafa
6th February 2008, 14:13
hey david, you should complain that no maccers was open for you at five am lol

Well that was one valid complaint.

Note to self: Next time we stay up to 5am working on a bike, kill a extra hour at home until 6am before going food-hunting. :P

ital916
6th February 2008, 17:24
Well sean came over today to look at betty, thanks for the help much appreciated sean :niceone:. Anyway i've been riding all of yesterday and today and she was riding fine, kick started and all. Sean and I went through and looked at the HT lead. Turns out it's a one piece thats attached to the coil so looks like i'll need to buy a new unit, with a coil etc attached. We went for a pootle around to test her and she was running fine. Sean went home, and I went to the petrol station *a bp lol* to top up. Took two min to put in petrol, went to start her and "blrrt", she wasn't kicking into life. Gah tried a few time then let her cool down. Tried again and nothing, at which point a good Samaritan came and gave me a push start and i just got her going, and off i went. Got home and shut her off then kicked her and she started. Hmmmm :scratch:, it's like a game of russian roulette lol

Ragingrob
6th February 2008, 21:31
I think I know who wears the pants in your relationship Dushy sorry mate!

motorbyclist
6th February 2008, 22:25
Turns out it's a one piece thats attached to the coil so looks like i'll need to buy a new unit, with a coil etc attached.

sounds very expensive

the leads should be able to be removed from the coil; unscrew the bit where the lead goes into the coil and you'll find the lead is merely stuck on a pointy electrode. if not then WTF were those suzuki engineers thinking when they built that bike? every other bike i've seen has had leads and coils as different, seperable parts

homer
6th February 2008, 22:26
while its running ,if it does this ....put your finger on the top and the edge of the plug cap if you get small shocks you will know its the ht lead at fault

Dont touch metal of the bike at the same time

xwhatsit
6th February 2008, 22:40
sounds very expensive

the leads should be able to be removed from the coil; unscrew the bit where the lead goes into the coil and you'll find the lead is merely stuck on a pointy electrode. if not then WTF were those suzuki engineers thinking when they built that bike? every other bike i've seen has had leads and coils as different, seperable parts

I questioned that too, in another thread about another Suzuki. Apparently it's something Suzuki (or whoever makes their coils) does. Very silly.

Ixion
7th February 2008, 09:35
Yep. At least some Suzukis (can't say all, maybe), the HT lead is molded right into the plastic moulding surrounding the coil itself. No way is it removeable.

You can get connectors tto attach a new bit f HT lead . or could, anyway, suppose that'll be another essential and useful thing that's disappeared .

MDR2
12th February 2008, 20:27
Well that was one valid complaint.

Note to self: Next time we stay up to 5am working on a bike, kill a extra hour at home until 6am before going food-hunting. :P

Greenlane maccers is open 24/7

EJK
20th February 2008, 16:39
Thanks for the repairs done on the FXR Steve lol

motorbyclist
20th February 2008, 16:57
Thanks for the repairs done on the FXR Steve lol

will you be coming on the ride this sunday?

FXR FTW