PDA

View Full Version : Any bike mechanics on here?

mal68
5th February 2008, 20:34
Looking to get my starter clutch replaced on my Suzuki LTF500..is this an easy enough job for someone with basic skills, or is it a workshop only job...been quoted $600..can get immaculate secondhand starter clutch, new are around $250...any input appreciated, cheers

Bikernereid
5th February 2008, 22:27
You might want to speak to Gav a.k.a. DMNTD (I think is his handle). he should be able to advise you.

FROSTY
6th February 2008, 07:38
Unless you plan on getting rid of the bike in a big hurry I'd get a new starter motor.
250 for a new one means thats about 6 hours labour for a mechanic.
That suggests that the starter clutch is inside the cases.

The Stranger
6th February 2008, 07:52
You might want to speak to Gav a.k.a. DMNTD (I think is his handle). he should be able to advise you.

No wonder you wanted to have Gavs babies, you thought he was Chris.
HDTboy = Gav
DMNTD = Chris

T.W.R
6th February 2008, 08:13
The starter clutch unit sits inside the left-hand side engine cover (transfer case cover). apart from the clutch unit you'll need gaskets as well.
:lol: 6hrs to do the job :Pokey: thats about twice as long as it should take including removing parts to gain clear access to the engine.

It isn't a major job and most of the work is involved in gaining access to the actual part

The clutch unit (pt #12600-09870) can be purchased easily enough but it's a rip-off as 9/10 times it is the oneway bearing that is at fault not any of the associated parts that come in the unit. Cleverly the bearing isn't listed as a separate part but if you can remove it (it bolts to the sprocket at 6 points) there'll be a manufacturers number on it and most likely will be a SKS bearing

ATV city or Bailey's motorcycle wreckers should be able to supply a 2nd hand unit

mal68
6th February 2008, 15:56
I'm reasonably mechanically minded so I might have a go myself, might buy an owners manual first....as for the starter motor that has been recently replaced. I bought the quad from a dealer, it was a trade in, and he told me the history of it, and the fact the starter clutch is noisy. His thoughts were if it failed just use the pull start. I'm happy to spend time myself fixing it, and a couple of hundred on parts (if needed)...but $600 is quarter what I paid for the whole quad. The starter still works but makes such a revolting noise.Interesting that it may be just one bearing though... Maybe it will be a winter project...alternatively any bike mechanics on here who do perky jobs for cash??..lol

Robert Taylor
6th February 2008, 21:18
The starter clutch unit sits inside the left-hand side engine cover (transfer case cover). apart from the clutch unit you'll need gaskets as well.
:lol: 6hrs to do the job :Pokey: thats about twice as long as it should take including removing parts to gain clear access to the engine.

It isn't a major job and most of the work is involved in gaining access to the actual part

The clutch unit (pt #12600-09870) can be purchased easily enough but it's a rip-off as 9/10 times it is the oneway bearing that is at fault not any of the associated parts that come in the unit. Cleverly the bearing isn't listed as a separate part but if you can remove it (it bolts to the sprocket at 6 points) there'll be a manufacturers number on it and most likely will be a SKS bearing

ATV city or Bailey's motorcycle wreckers should be able to supply a 2nd hand unit

I cannot recall if the starter wheel also comes with the clutch sprag unit. If not then it adds to the price of the sprag unit itself. The wheel gets chatter / indent marks in it from the sprag bearing. That being the case it would then not be far off $600 to do the job. The problem with buying second hand parts of this type is that very often you will get something not much better than what you are replacing and it too may expire in short order.

T.W.R
6th February 2008, 21:39
I cannot recall if the starter wheel also comes with the clutch sprag unit. If not then it adds to the price of the sprag unit itself. The wheel gets chatter / indent marks in it from the sprag bearing. That being the case it would then not be far off $600 to do the job. The problem with buying second hand parts of this type is that very often you will get something not much better than what you are replacing and it too may expire in short order.

As a business ATV city or Baileys aren't into selling knackered items buddy ;)

The starter clutch set (pt #12600-09870) is the one-way bearing, carrier bearing, and thrust washer.
The complete unit includes both idler wheels, carrier pins, spacer for #2 idler wheel, collar bearing, and the starter clutch set

Robert Taylor
7th February 2008, 17:26
As a business ATV city or Baileys aren't into selling knackered items buddy ;)

The starter clutch set (pt #12600-09870) is the one-way bearing, carrier bearing, and thrust washer.
The complete unit includes both idler wheels, carrier pins, spacer for #2 idler wheel, collar bearing, and the starter clutch set

Id beg to differ on personal experience with a handful of items but we neednt stir the pot. Suffice to say second hand parts, especially high wear items should only be purchased with both eyes wide open.

The point that I was trying to make is that most often the main idler wheel also needs replacing due to wear against the sprag bearing. So the estimated price all up may not be too far off. So often on this forum there is a mindset that dealers are rip off merchants and the kangaroo court works overtime.

mal68
9th February 2008, 10:00
Hi, well I have pulled the casing off, and the gears from the starter have smashed the housing around them, so I won't be replacing starter clutch now, it will have to be a pull start model from now on. Might put it on TM to swap for something...maybe I should stick to Honda or Kawasaki??..thanks for your help with it anyway.

FROSTY
9th February 2008, 11:40
Price up a second hand casing--you might be suprised.
Regarding the second hand clutch discussion.
I've been in just that situation with XJ900 starter clutches. Its taken me a couple of hours to haul the engine out and split the cases. Then its gonna take another two to trefit it all -and the starter clutch looks fine- for the sake of $100 I'd rather just use the new parts

mal68
9th February 2008, 12:04
and it looks like a major job which I feel is beyond me, so I won't bother. Its pretty easy to start off the pull anyway...just makes it harder to sell now. ..at least its exercise...