PDA

View Full Version : ZXR250 Rattle/Grind

RSrider
8th February 2008, 17:27
Hey Guys/Girls,

I have a 1993 ZXR250 C Model. Great bike, travelled 15,000kms (looks to be real kms, but who knows). Anyway, I took the bike into my local bike shop as the bike has quite a noticeable rattle/grinding noise at idle (and really low rpm). They said that it was the cam chain or tensioner and gave me a quote to fix it.

The bike has since been in and had the cam chain, tensioner and anything associated with it replaced. I got the bike back yesterday morning and after a $600 bill and a 9 day wait the rattle/grind was still there. After much conversation they agreed to give me a refund for the work done, as they had NOT fixed the fault I had asked for (which was the rattle, not to replace the cam chain or tensioner).

Their technician is now saying that the noise im hearing is perfectly normal, and all zxr250's sound like this. Frankly, I find this extremely hard to swallow. No way would anybody have bought one of these bikes brand new back in 1993 if it was making the noise that mine is at idle.

Now, the bike runs perfectly well, doesnt seem to have any noticeable mechanical issues, so can anyone give me suggestions on what else it could be, or someone who is REALLY in the know in Wellington who could come and have a listen?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

The Pastor
8th February 2008, 18:46
i wouldnt of asked for a refund, they spent alot of time on your bike. Mechanics get paid shit all and you just went and ripped them off? Not cool.

RSrider
8th February 2008, 19:24
Pfft, and who the hell are you mate?

LOL, I asked for them to fix the rattle/grind on my bike, instead I spent $600 and the bike came out exactly the same. Not to mention they had my bike for 9 days, that's right 9 days!! For a job that should've taken 2 maximum, luckily I have a car as well, who knows what I would've done for transport if I only had a motorbike.

It didn't need the cam chain or tensioner replaced, its only done 15,000kms, so why the hell should I pay for a job I didn't ask for. They listened to the bike before I booked it in, and assured me that it was the cam chain/tensioner.

This is my first bike, they are supposed to be the professionals and I am supposed to be able to trust them, not spend thousands upon thousands with them, fixing things that don't need fixing.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, anyone got some decent advice, as opposed to scarf boy up here.

Trouser
9th February 2008, 20:53
i wouldnt of asked for a refund, they spent alot of time on your bike. Mechanics get paid shit all and you just went and ripped them off? Not cool.

Are you for real? Heard of the consumer guarantees act? How did he rip them off?

I can just see how it works in your world.

My bike makes a weird noise, could you please fix it? Sure, its the cam chain and tensioner. Bikes back together. Heres some money. Thank you for not fixing the problem I asked you to. Oh, whats that? You changed my tyres too because they possibly could have maybe sometimes caused the noise. Here some more money then. Oh yes and heres the bike again and could you please fix this noise? blah blah blah.

Gosh.

skidMark
9th February 2008, 21:16
all zxr's rattle. it's the cam chain going around and around.

it makes noise...it's what zxr's do.

if u dnt want chain noise...get a cbr.

skidMark
9th February 2008, 21:20

LOL, I asked for them to fix the rattle/grind on my bike, instead I spent $600 and the bike came out exactly the same. Not to mention they had my bike for 9 days, that's right 9 days!! For a job that should've taken 2 maximum, luckily I have a car as well, who knows what I would've done for transport if I only had a motorbike.

It didn't need the cam chain or tensioner replaced, its only done 15,000kms, so why the hell should I pay for a job I didn't ask for. They listened to the bike before I booked it in, and assured me that it was the cam chain/tensioner.

This is my first bike, they are supposed to be the professionals and I am supposed to be able to trust them, not spend thousands upon thousands with them, fixing things that don't need fixing.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, anyone got some decent advice, as opposed to scarf boy up here.

Do not rip into renegade for voiceing his opinion, he wasnt abusive to you.:angry:

FilthyLuka
9th February 2008, 21:28
all zxr's rattle. it's the cam chain going around and around.

it makes noise...it's what zxr's do.

if u dnt want chain noise...get a cbr.

grinding noise at idle

It's what zxr's do eh? 'parrently they also like to throw big end bearings randomly, its just what they do...

Mate, there is a number of things it could be. Big ends (ask skiddy 'bout the sound that would make, compare to your bike) or Cam Chain rubbing up against something, or a bent conrod... Who knows, get the name of a decent mechanic wherever you are and take it to them, get them to diagnose it then call you before replacing stuff. Most decent mechanics will do this ANYWAY, but its best just to let em know you are a bit tight on funds and need prices before hand :)

Best of luck dude

Ixion
9th February 2008, 21:30
Have you asked an experienced rider, one with ZXR250 experience, to listen to it.

As Skidmark says (and give him his due, he does know ZXR250s), they are a noisy engine. A lot of motorcycle engines are, they rattle and clank and grind. you're not going to find many (if any) as quiet as car engines. Especially not 250cc multis, which are now ALL old and thrashed mercilessly.

However, in many cases the noises don't mean anything bad. So you may have nothing to worry about.

The Pastor
9th February 2008, 21:45

You said in your first post, that they gave you a quote to fix your cam chain. They did it. Whats the problem?

breakaway
9th February 2008, 21:46
Their technician is now saying that the noise im hearing is perfectly normal, and all zxr250's sound like this.

Do an extensive amount of research when you hear something like this. Certain people love passing shit off saying "Thats supposed to happen" when they have no idea what's wrong.

The Pastor
9th February 2008, 21:58
Go through the list,

we now know that its not the cam chain, what else could it be?

FJRider
9th February 2008, 22:30
To find the origin of an "engine noise", get a short piece of garden hose. Stick one end to any ear, and pass the other over and around the suspected problem area. (a bit like a doctors stethoscope) The exact area of "noise" will become obvious, the problem MAY then, be guessed. MAYBE NOT.
Ride with a STRONG tail wind, and any wind noise will dissappear and EVERY squeak, rattle and grind will make itself known. CLEARLY!!! It can be quite worrying. Try it. (This works on ALL bikes, not just Kawasaki's)

FruitLooPs
11th February 2008, 17:02
To find the origin of an "engine noise", get a short piece of garden hose. Stick one end to any ear, and pass the other over and around the suspected problem area. (a bit like a doctors stethoscope) The exact area of "noise" will become obvious, the problem MAY then, be guessed. MAYBE NOT.
Ride with a STRONG tail wind, and any wind noise will dissappear and EVERY squeak, rattle and grind will make itself known. CLEARLY!!! It can be quite worrying. Try it. (This works on ALL bikes, not just Kawasaki's)

A screwdriver works really well too (stick the metal end to things and press the plastic to your ear). I did this with the rattle that arrived on my gsxr750 and you could hear super well the rattle through cylinder 1's headers and nothing out the others.

Pulled it down expecting the valves that i'd just got done to have been bent and mashed ... but no the conrod was bent instead - rod knock. :wacko:

Brett
11th February 2008, 19:18
ZXR's are a noisy bike. I know, I have had 5 of them. Could you describe the noise a bit more? sometimes it is the cam chain, and this IS urgent, as a loose chain will eat into the cover plate and make a nice hole.
Does the noise dissappear when you lift off idle, or does it increase with the engine RPM?

RSrider
11th February 2008, 20:48
The noise dissapears when you get to a certain RPM. I dont have my bike here at the moment to get an exact RPM, but you can almost pinpoint the moment it stops, somewhere around 3,500RPM.

I don't know how else to explain the noise really sorry mate. Can't be the cam chain anymore as this has just had a complete overhaul.

FJRider
12th February 2008, 16:18
The noise dissapears when you get to a certain RPM. I dont have my bike here at the moment to get an exact RPM, but you can almost pinpoint the moment it stops, somewhere around 3,500RPM.

3500 rpm isn't much for a 250cc. How far left to redline ??? When the load on all parts come on, rattles reduce and at redline,you stop listening. more (important) things to worry about. Just keep the rev's up. It will perform better with a few extra rev's too.