PDA

View Full Version : Self profiling Cam lobes

T.W.R
11th February 2008, 18:22
:gob: Check this beast out :eek:

It hasn't taken thou's off the lobe it's taken millimetres, the edges are were it's supposed to be :crazy:
with that amount of wear you'd think the rocker would be naffed but nah just slightly worn

This is out of a Kawasaki KVF650 Quad that has come into work because it was running rough :lol:
It's the cam out of the front cylinder and the rear wasn't any better but on the opposite lobe :crazy:

98tls
11th February 2008, 18:49
:shit:Bloody hell,was it noisey?

T.W.R
11th February 2008, 19:00
:shit:Bloody hell,was it noisey?

:laugh: Just a bit :doh: could have been part of the percussion section in an orchestra :crazy:

98tls
11th February 2008, 19:03
:laugh: Just a bit :doh: could have been part of the percussion section in an orchestra :crazy: Or maybe even a Ducati clutch:whistle:

paturoa
11th February 2008, 19:03
oops forgot the hardening - oh well just bung it in, it'll be out of warranty b4 anyone notices..

FROSTY
11th February 2008, 19:24
and it was still running ?

Motu
11th February 2008, 19:29
Looks like a mid '80's XR250 cam.

I've seen worse,on a diesel Isuzu - it wouldn't rev past 2500rpm.Also SR20 Nissans after the cam oil feeds block,symtom (apart from the noise) is a rough idle.

deanohit
11th February 2008, 19:41
Hahahahaha, man, how many kms/hours had that bike done?
Must've had a hard life!

T.W.R
11th February 2008, 19:42
Or maybe even a Ducati clutch:whistle:

Nah an Old Duke dry clutch had nothing on this :lol:

oops forgot the hardening - oh well just bung it in, it'll be out of warranty b4 anyone notices..

Somehting like Honda V4s of the early 80s

and it was still running ?

:lol:Yep just though :crazy:

Looks like a mid '80's XR250 cam.

I've seen worse,on a diesel Isuzu - it wouldn't rev past 2500rpm.Also SR20 Nissans after the cam oil feeds block,symtom (apart from the noise) is a rough idle.

It's a KVF650 Prairie, but the engines in them were a bit of failure (starting to gain a rep actually for dying prematurely) and have been updated to 700s & 750s.

T.W.R
11th February 2008, 19:43
Hahahahaha, man, how many kms/hours had that bike done?
Must've had a hard life!

there's about 8600kms on the clock but being a dairy farmers bike thats like going from here to Siberia & back :lol:

F5 Dave
12th February 2008, 16:59
GPZ305s used to do this all the time. Would get noisier & slower until round.

Interestingly I've just been reading an article on Z250s which they were based on in m/c mechanics. Seems half the issue is the oil pump gets rooted by debris from the flywheel & there is a filter behind the pump that never gets cleaned.

Great design. Still, the less quads holding up traffic on trail rides the better.

Motu
12th February 2008, 17:56
Premature valve train wear is nearly always a lubrication problem.....oil quality,or a supply issue.To counter that I have also seen cams wear from faulty materials....built up and reground for example.