PDA

View Full Version : suzuki 1982 gs450 want more power

bulldogge
17th February 2008, 14:40
hey all ...i know the answer is probably buy another bike with more power but i like riding this one but would like more off the line power ..top end not a huge thing as i only cruise around 120kph and find that comfortable already..any help would be great cheers......p.s anyone know wot hp these put out anyway have looked at a couple of sites and one says about 26 and another says about 42...

and its spose to say 1980 suzuki gs450..cheers

geoffm
17th February 2008, 20:26
26 Hp is quite likely. Given the archaic technology in it., 42 (the same as a 4cyl Impulse) is unlikely)
I beleive the GS500 shares a common heritage - might be worth a look.
Bes thing you can do is some decent shocks, especially suspension which was budget when new. Konis made the difference of night and day on my GT250X7 of th esame vintage. Ikon on Oz now make them, or YSS is another budget option. Braided brake lines (and new seals0 will help the sliding single piston caliper brakes. With good suspension and brakes, then don't bother slowing down for corners...
Has the regulator/ rectifir or stator died yet? Don't worry, it will. Suzuki used some ex- Lucase engineers for their bikes of that time... There are aftermarket options. If it stops charging, you know what to look for.

xwhatsit
17th February 2008, 21:01
I wouldn't have thought it'd be quite as bad as 26hp -- that's what my 1979-motor single cylinder 250cc is making.

If you want more acceleration and are not worried about top-end, try playing with gearing. One tooth less on the front might help things along nicely! When you have limited power (like me), gearing makes a huge difference.

JimO
17th February 2008, 21:20
44hp is what the site i have found says

T.W.R
17th February 2008, 21:33
Unless it's in primo condition motorwise just keep the engine stock and adjust the gearing either going up by one tooth on the front sprocket or dropping three or four teeth on the rear (1 tooth on the front is equivalent to 3 on the rear).

20.8kW is the measured peak rear wheel power
24.3Nm is maximum torque

xwhatsit
17th February 2008, 21:38
Wow, that really is 26hp. How come they describe the performance as snappy, despite weighing 175kg?

No wonder 250RSs and GT250X-7s were so popular.

bulldogge
18th February 2008, 20:03
thanx for your advice so far...would the head from a gsx450 bolt straight on to gs450 block as they are 4 valves per cyclinder compared to the 2 per cyl of the gs450 is that right???cheers

FROSTY
26th February 2008, 22:18
Biggest robber of bottom end powere on those GS450's was guys cutting out the Collector box when it rotted out. You need a balancer pipe between the two exhausts.
They used to be a genuine 180km/h bike so you can fit a rear sprocket a couple of teeth bigger no worries

Bonez
1st March 2008, 20:23
Wow, that really is 26hp. How come they describe the performance as snappy, despite weighing 175kg?

No wonder 250RSs and GT250X-7s were so popular.At the rear wheel. Your CB250RS would be producing rather less than 26hp at the rear wheel.

xwhatsit
1st March 2008, 22:17
At the rear wheel. Your CB250RS would be producing rather less than 26hp at the rear wheel.

Oh yes. *Puts on glasses*

Approx 20hp I think.

Katman
2nd March 2008, 01:19
adjust the gearing either going up by one tooth on the front sprocket or dropping three or four teeth on the rear

Other way round.

FilthyLuka
2nd March 2008, 09:27
Other way round.

err, no. if you go up four teeth on the front you will have issues of the major persuation.

One up on the front is about three/four down on the rear

FJRider
2nd March 2008, 09:48
The BIGGEST robber of (horse)power is AGE. A hone out of the bore's or FULL rebore ad new pistons (the more expensive option) will get a few xtra ponies.
With a workshop manual, the stripdown/rebuild can be done by YOU. Check out prices of a rebore, pistons, rings etc. Any bike shop will give you this info.

FJRider
2nd March 2008, 09:57
err, no. if you go up four teeth on the front you will have issues of the major persuation.

CORRECT... BUT... Gearing up is a waste of time if there is not the horsepower to drive it. Get the XTRA power FIRST

Bonez
2nd March 2008, 12:26
thanx for your advice so far...would the head from a gsx450 bolt straight on to gs450 block as they are 4 valves per cyclinder compared to the 2 per cyl of the gs450 is that right???cheersQuite possibly. But for reasons of robustness I'd stick with the two valve head. Far less components.

bulldogge
2nd March 2008, 15:14
hey all....so if i decided to rebuild engine..wot cr could u go to..would ya shave block or head...do 3 angle seats work alrite with bike heads..porting?..cams any innfo on these would b great...would probably leave bottom end standard unless pistons are neede to increase cr ...cheers

FJRider
2nd March 2008, 17:49
hey all....so if i decided to rebuild engine..wot cr could u go to..would ya shave block or head...do 3 angle seats work alrite with bike heads..porting?..cams any innfo on these would b great...would probably leave bottom end standard unless pistons are neede to increase cr ...cheers

You are talking lots of $$$$$$$$ fancy stuff like that if it WASN'T standard in the first place. All said and done, BIKE upgrade is often BEST / EASIEST horsepower getter. The GS... MAY... be the deposit on a half decent 600...maybe.
Rebuilds add little, or nothing (usually the latter) to bike value, and cost $$$$$
YOUR CHOICE

FROSTY
2nd March 2008, 19:14
wot he says--just ride the lil gal

bulldogge
3rd March 2008, 06:47
alrite then ...guess i'll just run her as she is and look at upgrading down the track..thanx 4 ya advice anyways.....cheers

Katman
3rd March 2008, 07:27

I didn't actually mean four teeth on the front. I meant that to achieve the result the OP wants they need to go up on the rear or down on the front.

ajturbo
3rd March 2008, 08:52
i brought one from new...
got the 180 like frosty said.... then some

most simple thing to do IF you have the orginal pipes ( bet you don't) is to shove a long scewdriver down pipe... hit with hamer... this wil "unblock" the end of the baffle... letting it breath better... gave me an EXTRA 5ks top speed ( yes i tested it in a flying 1/4 we used to hold in nelson!! so i know this is true)