PDA

View Full Version : too thick oil ?

CookMySock
28th February 2008, 06:58
ok, new bike Hyosung GT250R, 800km's on the clock, clutch is 'towing' slightly when the bike's in gear sitting stopped with the clutch in. API 15W40 oil in it. VERY hard to find neutral and the gearbox is notchy while stationary. Smooth as while riding.

I wonder if this oil is too thick ? any ideas?

DB

nodrog
28th February 2008, 07:03
ok, new bike Hyosung GT250R, 800km's on the clock, clutch is 'towing' slightly when the bike's in gear sitting stopped with the clutch in. API 15W40 oil in it. VERY hard to find neutral and the gearbox is notchy while stationary. Smooth as while riding.

DB

you will find the gearbox will get better once it is fully run in.

bobsmith
28th February 2008, 07:11
It sounds like maybe the clutch cable needs to be tightened? Perhaps the clutch isn't disengaging fully when clutch lever is in.

slimjim
28th February 2008, 08:51

:rolleyes:should be due to for it's 1000km service , won't hurt it ,taken it in early as like all thing's new it will need adjustment's that oil are'nt the pro' get it's first service TELL the shop what's it doing and the bike mac should do it all under it's service

HungusMaximist
28th February 2008, 10:32

DB

I've had a 04 GT250 and throughout most of GT series it's pretty much the same.

Let's hope the service fix it up for you but since they have a real harsh gear box the whole finding 'neutral' while stationary is common for most owners.

The way I find it that works best was being real gentle/precise or the best I reckon is shift to neutral before you come to a full halt. :cool:

CookMySock
28th February 2008, 12:04
the best I reckon is shift to neutral before you come to a full halt. :cool:sweet.

It's in for its' first service today so new oil (10W40 or thinner pls, kthx) so we will see what comes of it.

Thanks guys.

DB

xwhatsit
28th February 2008, 23:57
Doubt it's got anything to do with the weight of the oil, 15W40 is not particularly thick -- it'll just be the clutch cable needing adjustment. Will give you all of those symptoms.

skidMark
29th February 2008, 00:08
Take any issues to the bike shop, thats what the warrenty and scheduled services are for, don't even so much as touch it with any form of tool.

skidMark
29th February 2008, 00:10
Doubt it's got anything to do with the weight of the oil, 15W40 is not particularly thick -- it'll just be the clutch cable needing adjustment. Will give you all of those symptoms.

Yeah also to do with clutch cable stretch, new cable stretches, meaning it doesnt hold the clutch in as far.

Get the shop to readjust the cable when they do your service.

See if you can get them to teach you how to tension your chain while you are there.

xwhatsit
29th February 2008, 00:32
On clutch cable stretch, I've been told it's a myth. The steel inner never stretches. Instead, the outer compacts over time. Same effect though :)