PDA

View Full Version : please help!!! fzr400

Robertson Racing
6th March 2008, 09:34
Can someone please help me with my situation, I am resonably new to the F3 scene, and have just bought a 1989 FZR400 F3 bike it was running fine until one day I started it and and it wouldnt rev over 1500 Rpm and running on 2-3 cylinders????:argh: so I changed the plugs and it was fine, then I started it again same problem... I went down to a colder plug from CR8E to a CR9E, took it to Teretonga and gave it a thrashing it went fine most of the day then did it again but I held the throttle open and it fired into life? I dont want this happening to me on race day and really want to try get this fixed asap, someone mentioned the Choke sticking? But it appeard to be oprating fine when I took the Tank cover, airbox off etc.

If there is anyone out there that may be able to shed some light on my situation it would be much appreciated. ;)

Cheers

scracha
6th March 2008, 10:29
Due to their position in the frame, fizzy coils often fail. Remove a plug cap, bung on spare spark plug, earth it, start bike, rev it a little. Check for fat spark. Replace plug. Repeat for the other cyls.

Otherwise compression test, adjust valves then play with the carbs for hours on end.

Probably isn't the correct method but it always worked for me.

FROSTY
6th March 2008, 10:32
yep a dodgy plug lead then no spark for a bit and the plug fouls--tis all down hill from there

Robertson Racing
6th March 2008, 10:45
Yes that sounds like what it could be but as soon as its going and revving it runs perfect... I might replace all plug leads?

Paul in NZ
6th March 2008, 11:18
And test your coils!!!

One thing I've noticed about FZR's is that the rely on the chassis for earthing a bunch of stuff (rec / reg etc) and now that they are all getting on a bit - a few extra earth cables does wonders.

While you are at it I would also check...

Carb diaphragm and sealing (the little O rings up there) and that the slides all move freely. Valve clearances and without a doubt - get a leakdown test. The rings will loose tension over time and the valves loose their ability to seal (some FZR's have very soft valve faces) so you could be seeing the effects of a loss in compression. That would make the fuel burn less efficient and foul plugs.

Sam I Am
6th March 2008, 14:51
regulator rectifier may have fried your battery ( hapend to my FZR400 )
and wouldent run past 2000 rpm properly

not sure but worth a look

Robertson Racing
6th March 2008, 16:11
regulator rectifier may have fried your battery ( hapend to my FZR400 )
and wouldent run past 2000 rpm properly

not sure but worth a look

Im not to sure if that would be it though as the battery still starts the bike fine?

Paul in NZ
6th March 2008, 17:15
I'd suggest you log on here and join this group - good jokers!

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/FZR400/

HDTboy
6th March 2008, 17:22
If you get stuck, take it into Southland Honda. From what I've heard, there's someone there who knows a thing or two about motorcycles

Robertson Racing
7th March 2008, 13:56
If you get stuck, take it into Southland Honda. From what I've heard, there's someone there who knows a thing or two about motorcycles

Yes I know Jeremy there and I know he has good knowledge so I may just have to take it to him yet! haha

westie
7th March 2008, 17:04
Sounds like your plugs are getting stuffed up by something to do with the ammount of fuel intake. Could be too much, could be too little. I'd start with checking carbs and giving them a clean and strip down. Check the choke seats for leaks and check all four mixture settings. Use small (twist lock ties) to poke through each jet and passage in the carbs.
Have fun.(beers help too)

Robertson Racing
8th March 2008, 08:27
Sounds like your plugs are getting stuffed up by something to do with the ammount of fuel intake. Could be too much, could be too little. I'd start with checking carbs and giving them a clean and strip down. Check the choke seats for leaks and check all four mixture settings. Use small (twist lock ties) to poke through each jet and passage in the carbs.
Have fun.(beers help too)

Yeah someone else did mention that to me... it did smell quite rich when it first started doing it and plug No 3 was very wet. I might check the carbs out tonight (they have had the Mukuni Flatslide conversion) and see if anything looks out of character. And yes Beer sounds like a great idea!!!