PDA

View Full Version : Hornet MOD???

NOMIS
7th March 2008, 10:43
Goodaye,

I no it only a Honda Hornet 250cc 2001model So far it has twin cans and stainless pipes.

But Im sick of it and it is to slow and i do alot of m.way riding and anything beyonud 110km is annoying. Was wondering if there where any performance modsd i can do ( besides Turbo dont have the $$ ) that can give me a bit of oomph i dont want to poor $ into it as its just a 250 and as soon as i get my full im getting a R6 but any thing i can do in the mean time would be apreciated.

Cheers
Si

HornetBoy
7th March 2008, 11:02
jetkit stg 1 or 2 sell for around $100 to $150 definately would help or change your sprocket sizes to higher up in the front to lower the revs at 100kph sacrificing a little acceleration tho.

sprockets are the easiest and cheapest mod to do and they make a huge difference

NOMIS
7th March 2008, 11:07
jetkit stg 1 or 2 sell for around $100 to $150 definately would help or change your sprocket sizes to higher up in the front to lower the revs at 100kph sacrificing a little acceleration tho.

sprockets are the easiest and cheapest mod to do and they make a huge difference

Cheers, was thinking about taking it down a 1/4 not to see how my bike would do just to see my reaction time, but then again dont wana look like a nob doing 14.5's on a bike as loud as mine

NOMIS
7th March 2008, 11:08

where can i get the jet kit and what does it consist of? pwer stats ect and whats involved, i no how to rejet a carby on a car is it similar?

Macstar
7th March 2008, 13:07
About $20 for aftermarket front sprockets, though odds are you'd want to do your chain and rear sprocket at the same time....

Other than that, not much you can do for less than $200. I'm chuckin an aftermarket airfilter on mine tonight - so will tell you if that makes much difference (I doubt it will). Ripping off the standard cans and cat convertor gave me maybe another 5% power?? hard to judge without Dynoing tho.

Other things you can do is make sure your plugs and leads are in good knick and run it on 98 gas???

Above all, save your pennys and get a bigger bike when allowed / or now??

NOMIS
7th March 2008, 13:18
About $20 for aftermarket front sprockets, though odds are you'd want to do your chain and rear sprocket at the same time....

Other than that, not much you can do for less than $200. I'm chuckin an aftermarket airfilter on mine tonight - so will tell you if that makes much difference (I doubt it will). Ripping off the standard cans and cat convertor gave me maybe another 5% power?? hard to judge without Dynoing tho.

Other things you can do is make sure your plugs and leads are in good knick and run it on 98 gas???

Above all, save your pennys and get a bigger bike when allowed / or now??

Cheers mate, I dont mind spending up to around $500 if im going to get a signifigant power gain, the twin cans came with the bike but there 2 figing loud and im going to get some silencers made when i can, also im going to fit a gsx-r light, ( streetfighter look )

HornetBoy
7th March 2008, 13:46
Cheers mate, I dont mind spending up to around $500 if im going to get a signifigant power gain, the twin cans came with the bike but there 2 figing loud and im going to get some silencers made when i can, also im going to fit a gsx-r light, ( streetfighter look )

if you do get an airfilter make sure you get is jetted as soon as cause it will be extra lean,and be alot less grunty tll you do

FilthyLuka
7th March 2008, 16:16
its a 250 dude, just live with it.
Put a decent exhaust on it and get it jetted properly, she will be running sweet. Just put up with less acceleration and vibrating at 100km untill you get your full, more money for a bigger bike i say

AllanB
7th March 2008, 16:24
its a 250 dude, just live with it.
Put a decent exhaust on it and get it jetted properly, she will be running sweet. Just put up with less acceleration and vibrating at 100km untill you get your full, more money for a bigger bike i say

DITTO

Suck it in and save your money for the R6.

Isn't there a course you can do that speeds up the full license????

If so spend your bucks on that and don't f-with the 250 too much - if its to modded you'll end up getting less for it as a trade or private. I keep all stock parts that I modify so they can go back on or with the sale.

n0regret5
7th March 2008, 16:25
buy a cbr250rr..:-D hah..yeh its one of those things where anything you do to it probably won't make enough of a noticeable difference to the way it rides. changing the gearing works, but has its downsides. gear it down, you'll accelerate much quicker but the engine will rev higher faster. gear it up and you'll reach some pretty good top speeds (for a hornet) but you'll notice it won't be very fast off the mark.
when it comes down to it..it's not a performance bike.

TripleZee Dyno
9th March 2008, 18:20
Goodaye,

I no it only a Honda Hornet 250cc 2001model So far it has twin cans and stainless pipes.

But Im sick of it and it is to slow and i do alot of m.way riding and anything beyonud 110km is annoying. Was wondering if there where any performance modsd i can do ( besides Turbo dont have the $$ ) that can give me a bit of oomph i dont want to poor $ into it as its just a 250 and as soon as i get my full im getting a R6 but any thing i can do in the mean time would be apreciated.

Cheers
Si
$120 will get you a Dyno Test and Combustion Analysis Report. Using this info we can make an educated guess at your engines current state of tune.
This way you will have some basis to work from before spending money on solutions to problems that may or may not exist.
eg if the engine is in a reasonable state of tune a jet kit would probably be a waste of money.
Its amazing what a good "tuneup" can achieve as well
Something to think about
cheers

NOMIS
9th March 2008, 18:54
$120 will get you a Dyno Test and Combustion Analysis Report. Using this info we can make an educated guess at your engines current state of tune.
This way you will have some basis to work from before spending money on solutions to problems that may or may not exist.
eg if the engine is in a reasonable state of tune a jet kit would probably be a waste of money.
Its amazing what a good "tuneup" can achieve as well
Something to think about
cheers

woh cool yeh bikes only done 11000km, i do have a full exhaust twin cans ect, ( dont no what they are ) yeh i want the r6, ive been riding my bike for 6months but only just got my learners ( naughty i no ) so im a long way away from getting my full :crybaby:

But def wana r6, Im getting over the hooning stage especially on my bike, to dangerous ect, looking at buying a trackbike, that way i can have some fun on a bigger bike down at the track and just keep mine to get to work and back.

Thanks for all the advise guys

PJ_tpl
11th March 2008, 10:48
Hi simon :)