PDA

View Full Version : Help! ZX6RR Engine Prob...

icekiwi
9th March 2008, 12:31
Here's the sad story...
Bikes been going ok although mates have commented on a little puff out the arse when i nail it.
Started the bike sat morn and was engulfed in a huge cloud of bluish smoke...like heaps and it had a big time miss an running rough as guts.
Checked out the air box and the whole interior of it is soaking wet with oil to the point of it dripping off the injectors.
Running with the breather pipe off it seems to be breathing a little heavy with quite a bit of smoke/vapour coming out.Drained the air box o/flow bottle and you'd think it was the sump plug I took out.
To my knowledge it hasn't been hot,104 is the hottest ive seen on the gauge.
Using R4 castrol oil,changed the oil while i was at it an no sighn of any water/moisture in it.
Today pulled the s/plugs and they were all wet as, accounting for the rough running,put a new set in took it for a ride and not much of a surprise really its doing the same thing.
I'm an Auto Machinist by trade (well used to be many moons ago) so am putting my money on maybe stuck oil control rings or possibly valve guide moving in cyl head,its not smoking all the time thats why i,m thinking maybe there's something else (cheaper lol) that may be causing it.
Thinking about it has been down on power a little lately,lost a little of that arm stretching acceleration.
Any help would be great
Thanks
Phil

cruza
9th March 2008, 13:38
If its blowing oil out the breather, sounds like to much blowby from the rings/piston ,over pressuring the crankcase, oily plugs>> rings, down on power>> down on compression??. What kind of mileage has it done??

westie
9th March 2008, 17:13
Dont mean to be rude but how much oil? Could have been over filled?

icekiwi
9th March 2008, 17:32
Wasn't over fill only got 3l out of it when i drained it...

icekiwi
9th March 2008, 17:38
Not likely to be a vacum valve/pcv ????

westie
9th March 2008, 18:07
Could your bike have been dropped? With out you knowing?
I've still got 18/20 questions to go. Lol

icekiwi
9th March 2008, 21:06
not recently...running

bugjuice
9th March 2008, 21:41
go get a compression check done, if you can. Else take the head off and have a look inside. What ever has gone wrong, it ain't gonna be fixed lookin at it from the outside.. Check the pistons, rings, cylinder walls, valves etc, go from there

icekiwi
9th March 2008, 22:14
The engine is on its way out...
Going to suck the lemon and give it a real good birthday...

icekiwi
11th March 2008, 22:02
Now have the head and barell off and my suspicions have been confirmed,
By the way comp test was no1. 30psi no2, 200 no3, 190 no4, 195
was a no brainer really,
Piston has dealt to the 2nd ring land,20mm long piece gone,bores still mint as.
anyone out there have a good std piston
who's the best ppl to source some parts ie rings,gaskets etc

Ta

Coldrider
12th March 2008, 07:55
How many K's did that last?