PDA

View Full Version : Fuckin head gasket

kiwi cowboy
9th March 2008, 14:30
ok 85fz750 blew the head gaskit about 800ks ago.i replaced it with a genuine part but didnt recheck as most plpl said not to bother now it looks like its blown again.
should i have checked it and would it do any good to go in and try retorqueing now or not?.
the old gasket was definatly buggered.
any help apreceated

xwhatsit
9th March 2008, 15:02
People with my bike/engine say that if it keeps blowing head gaskets, you probably didn't re-torque the head after it's been running for a bit. Also, the studs/bolts can stretch and cause problems. One last thing they say is that if the head is warped, so the gasket faces aren't nicely mated, that can cause the head gasket to blow.

Of course this is all second-hand information for a different bike, but it sounds plausible to me.

FROSTY
9th March 2008, 15:20
ok 85fz750 blew the head gaskit about 800ks ago.i replaced it with a genuine part but didnt recheck as most plpl said not to bother now it looks like its blown again.
should i have checked it and would it do any good to go in and try retorqueing now or not?.
the old gasket was definatly buggered.
any help apreceated
Not trying to lecture ya dude-but was the head crack tested or checked for flat? Could be you've only hidden the issue not fixed it

kiwi cowboy
9th March 2008, 15:40
Not trying to lecture ya dude-but was the head crack tested or checked for flat? Could be you've only hidden the issue not fixed it

no i didnt do eather but the state of the old gasket i thought it had to be the prob.If the head was cracked wouldnt it leak from the moment the new gasket went in?

FROSTY
9th March 2008, 15:51
possibly--but if warped the new gasket might hide it for awhile.
couple of other things it could be too

kiwi cowboy
9th March 2008, 15:54
possibly--but if warped the new gasket might hide it for awhile.
couple of other things it could be too

do explain bout the couple of other things please

pete376403
9th March 2008, 21:12
things I'd look for - head and block surfaces both flat - check with engineers straightedge. Allowable limit is 0.03mm (0.0012"). Both surfaces absolutely clean. No gasket poo whatsoever. Tighten nuts in small increments working from center out, using a good quality torque wrench. Dunno about retorquing after use - Haynes manual doesn't say it needs to be done.

Anyone know of a cheap Interisland freight co? - Mainfreight quoted $216 to move the FZ750 engine from Upper Hutt to Ranfurly.

Nade
12th March 2008, 17:25
If you could get the engine on the ferry or to blenheim maybe.....I travel to chch to see my daughter and so long as the engine will fit in the boot of a VX commodore I might beable to take it down....just a thort...:dodge: that is if your not in a hurry.

pete376403
13th March 2008, 20:22
Thanks Nade but i think we have it under control.