PDA

View Full Version : Parking Noobs?

Folcan
10th March 2008, 21:19
Is there anything that can be done about them...? and im not talking about the wardens lol

Ive noticed a few times bikes parked in the bike parking at uni in such a way that it takes 2 or more bike parking spaces.

one such example is a scooter on symonds st that doesn't appear to have a stand or something cus the rider wedges it against the pavement and then stops like 4 bike parking in a perfectly good parking space. if they where to leave it by a tree or something up against the pavement it wouldn't be such a problem another thing is it could fall over and if someones bike was unfortunately parked too close I bet :spanking: will ensue

please note im not picking on scooters only im just using that as an example.. even seen bigger bikes parking in similar inefficient ways

Trudes
10th March 2008, 21:25
OK, I'll admit it, I can't park my bike for shit! I don't have to park it in a bike park very often and when I do I'm always so afraid of getting too close to someone else's bike that I tend to park too far away. It's a source of amusement for others watching me have six attempts at hauling 200kgs of bike about to wedge it in. I know, practice!!!

Folcan
10th March 2008, 21:32
well thats a different story.

what im talking about is the when the rest of the bikes are almost at a 90 (on symonds st its abit less) degree angle to the pavement someone has parked parallel to the pavement

Trudes
10th March 2008, 21:34
Ohhh, now that's just stupid!! Someone trying to park a bike (or yeah, normally scooters) like a car.:shit:

xwhatsit
10th March 2008, 21:39
There's a guy with an L-plated black and red 2008 Hyosung GT250R who can't park for shit at Tamaki. Everybody else is parking parallel with the yellow cross-lines, he chooses to park parallel with the traffic island thing and take up all the room. Has done it at least three times. Might leave an angry Jim2 note.

Hanne
10th March 2008, 21:42
yeah, isaw that scooter today! Only 4 other scooters had come and parked at 90 degrees in front of it, locking it in. Apparently they have done so for over a week now, but the silver scooter still hasn't got the message.....

Oh, if the 'big bike' was the kwaka 1100 parked under science the other day at the opposite angle to everyone else then Stephen left them a picture. A nice picture, showing how parallel looks and why it is an awfully good idea. Except they haven't been back...

Disco Dan
10th March 2008, 21:43
Pulled up at local shops the other day to see a couple of hogs.. each in their own full size parking space.. but get this.. facing forward... which just so happens to be downhill... couple of maori's with tassles standing there trying to look like tough bikers... I back my bike in next to them... they asked my why bother backing it in etc... takes ages rar rar rar... I just half laugh and and tell them i'll watch while they just about need a tow truck to get theirs out of the parking space... moments later I pulled away only to see them both pushing each bike out.. with what looked like great difficulty... :done:

Their called "noobs" every place has them. Just remember that half the people on scoots are not 'bikers' but just after cheap transport. Why would they care that real bikes cant park there safely??

Move them. I would. Or take a photo of their crap arse parking and then put it up on the noticeboard - "dumb parking of the month".

homer
10th March 2008, 21:44
I park in a park , for a car
and i use all the fucken park i can
i dont want to come back and see it on the ground cause of some one else

Hanne
10th March 2008, 21:47
yeah, but you also don't want someone in a hurry to pull into that park and 'not see' you.

Squiggles
10th March 2008, 21:56
We be daring enough in the underground to "rotate you" if you dare to take up too much space, i couldnt move the zzr1100 (too fucken heavy), just left a note showing he was messing up our skilled and efficient display of tesselated machines

Folcan
10th March 2008, 21:59
Yea its kinda annoying we trying to get more parking for bikes. but if everyone parks like nubs then it wont really help haha.

I like that idea about taking a pic and putting this person fails at parking all over uni :D

homer
10th March 2008, 21:59
We be daring enough in the underground to "rotate you" if you dare to take up too much space, i couldnt move the zzr1100 (too fucken heavy), just left a note showing he was messing up our skilled and efficient display of tesselated machines

You wouldnt touch it
not unless i didnt know who did

Disco Dan
10th March 2008, 22:01
I get little notes to say my parking is good all the time...

Usually says "Parking, Fine" :whistle:

motorbyclist
10th March 2008, 22:22

You wouldnt touch it
not unless i didnt know who did

just today me and dan moved squiggle's TL... it wasn't parked badly it's just that there was 2 thirds of a gap either side of him since other bikes had come and gone and nowhere else for dan to park without making life very difficult for all three of us

several times now i've simply picked up and rotated scooters the are parking inconsiderately

would've moved that zzr1100 but it was too heavy, and i saw the note

oddly enough, i wouldnt mind people doing the same to me. aslong as there's no damage (though i do deliberately park so as to not be in anyone's way

who parked that old red 500 today? was going to move that if the TL was too heavy

bomma
10th March 2008, 22:22
I park in a park , for a car
and i use all the fucken park i can
i dont want to come back and see it on the ground cause of some one else

yeah, but you also don't want someone in a hurry to pull into that park and 'not see' you.

was doing defensive driving (how ironic is this) and parked my vtr250 in a car slot.....2hrs later came out to find it on the ground after a car had hit it and had done a runner.......:shit: :ar15:

in my opnion i dont think we should touch someone else's bike, unless you know the person very fucking well.....i know i would be pretty fucked off if i came out and found that my bike had been moved:nono:

think stevo had the right idea, leave em a note and give them a chance to correct their behaviour......give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

motorbyclist
10th March 2008, 22:29
think stevo had the right idea, leave em a note and give them a chance to correct their behaviour......give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

by all means leave a note

but you'd think people would get the idea

at the end of the day we've all still gotta park where we won't be ticketed and our bikes wont get nicked (if the bike is worth stealing)

if i get there and there's that street magic parked parallel, i make it perpendicular. he doesnt like it? then he should park that way to begin with. i see he's caught on already.

i hear they are ripping out the car parking on symonds st to put in a bus lane.... does this mean they'll remove those trees? i do like them and the shade they offer even if they do make parking risky - plus they give a spot to park on that side of the road

bomma
10th March 2008, 22:34
by all means leave a note

but you'd think people would get the idea

Oh, if the 'big bike' was the kwaka 1100 parked under science the other day at the opposite angle to everyone else then Stephen left them a picture. A nice picture, showing how parallel looks and why it is an awfully good idea. Except they haven't been back...

well this person obviously got the message......:baby:

like i sez andy, give the person a chance to correct themselves and you'll be surprised with the results you get......some people may not even realise they're in the wrong and might just go home fuming everyday after finding that their bike/scooter has been moved AGAIN by some dickhead......:mad:

im no hippie but give peace a chance:beer:

motorbyclist
10th March 2008, 22:42
but i need to park!

when i get to uni there's usually very little

i do see where you're coming from though

xwhatsit
11th March 2008, 01:37
who parked that old red 500 today? was going to move that if the TL was too heavy

That's not some `old red 500'. That's a very nice example of the original Yamaha SR500 über-thumper. With a bike like that he can park where he likes.

Not sure if I approve of people wheeling bikes around. Scooters seem OK, but that's just my motorcyclist's bias showing through. If I saw somebody moving my bike around, motorcyclist or not, I'd be likely to come in yelling foul words and swinging my arms. Better off leaving a note, then parking in front of them to block them in if you really can't find anywhere else to park.

Squiggles
11th March 2008, 06:36
Lets not get precious boys, two people turning a scooter/your little two fifty because you parked like a cock is hardly an activity likely to break it.

Xers, your bikes more likely to get knocked over by a ped when you park it parallel to the walls behind the gym...

BiK3RChiK
11th March 2008, 07:10
OK, I'll admit it, I can't park my bike for shit! I don't have to park it in a bike park very often and when I do I'm always so afraid of getting too close to someone else's bike that I tend to park too far away. It's a source of amusement for others watching me have six attempts at hauling 200kgs of bike about to wedge it in. I know, practice!!!

Hahaha... This is ME!!!!! LOL Gotta practice, practice, practice. I get p**d when someone parks too close too...

M

BiK3RChiK
11th March 2008, 07:27
Not sure if I approve of people wheeling bikes around. Scooters seem OK, but that's just my motorcyclist's bias showing through. If I saw somebody moving my bike around, motorcyclist or not, I'd be likely to come in yelling foul words and swinging my arms. Better off leaving a note, then parking in front of them to block them in if you really can't find anywhere else to park.

This might cause them to drop your ride! :eek5:

I tend to agree about other people moving my bike though. I'd be mighty p*ssed if I saw it had been moved. Not that I give anyone any reason to move it, mind you!

If parking was that tight, I'd leave a note or do the photo on the noticeboard thing.
Try to educate first...

M

Swoop
11th March 2008, 11:08
I was actually kind to a noob the other day.
Their back tyre was under-inflated... seriously under inflated!
Like when the bike was at rest on the side stand and the back tyre is about half the distance away from the road surface from what it should have been!
I left a note next to their ignition. I wonder if they ever noticed the difference in handling?

Yes, there are some people who are in it for the cheap transportation.

klyong82
11th March 2008, 11:38
Move them. I would. Or take a photo of their crap arse parking and then put it up on the noticeboard - "dumb parking of the month".

Haha thats a good suggestion. ;)

Macstar
11th March 2008, 12:38
Haha thats a good suggestion. ;)

Hey, aren't you the guy that used to ride a CBR who then sold out and bought a Beemer, consequently working 70 hours a week to pay it off?

xwhatsit
11th March 2008, 12:49
Hey, aren't you the guy that used to ride a CBR who then sold out and bought a Beemer, consequently working 70 hours a week to pay it off?

Was that you who moved my bike forward then blocked me in under science today? I had to drop down onto that courtyard thing then drop the clutch to pop the front wheel up and over the kerb-thing. 18" wheels aren't that big, lol! I would've moved the Hornet, but it looked like it had some sort of alarm flashing on the dash.

EDIT: No, it was a red Hornet 900, not black, and you're done at uni, right? That wasn't very nice, whoever it was.

xwhatsit
11th March 2008, 12:59
Lets not get precious boys, two people turning a scooter/your little two fifty because you parked like a cock is hardly an activity likely to break it.

Xers, your bikes more likely to get knocked over by a ped when you park it parallel to the walls behind the gym...

It's not about people dropping it or damaging it (although that is a small worry -- watching the (biking) WoF guy try to take my bike off the centre-stand whilst standing beside it and it still being in gear was scary), it's just bloody rude to go and move somebody's scooter or bike. It comes back to the general public jumping on your bike and twisting the throttle grip and stuff -- if you went and sat on the bonnet of their car, they'd be pissed. I wouldn't feel comfortable even moving a $150 Nifty 50. That's somebody else's shit.

And as for blocking a bastard in, that's not on at all. I should make up a sign to hang on my bike -- `People who move and block in my bike will have their mirrors confiscated as compensation'.

That last bit is precisely why I try to avoid parking in that gym bit.

Hey, on another note, you know that gravel strip outside OGG? Between the building (near the new carpark) and the footpath? There were several scooters with parking infringement notices from UoA attached. I was eyeing that up as quite a good new unused piece of space for bike parking, but they seem not to like it. Offence was `parking on the footpath', which is fairly nonsensical. That would be a good little strip to write in and request to be set aside for parking.

Macstar
11th March 2008, 13:19
Was that you who moved my bike forward then blocked me in under science today? I had to drop down onto that courtyard thing then drop the clutch to pop the front wheel up and over the kerb-thing. 18" wheels aren't that big, lol! I would've moved the Hornet, but it looked like it had some sort of alarm flashing on the dash.

EDIT: No, it was a red Hornet 900, not black, and you're done at uni, right? That wasn't very nice, whoever it was.

Actually, my black hornet was parked briefly at uni this morning from 7.30-8.30am. Best not be touching that baby as she bites! Hey bomma have you seen that red hornet with those heavy old twin pipes and shovel-of-a-mud guard?

BTW: Seems I could be a part time student again next year...

Chrislost
11th March 2008, 14:37
i just get there early and park however i feel like.
but then the best place ive found to park so far is under the stairs(dam i have to take my mirrors off to fit)

:jerry:

HungusMaximist
11th March 2008, 15:05

That would've been the Bomma's Burgundy Hornet. You're right, that wasn't very nice blocking you in and all that. :msn-wink:

Yea what's up with that?

Or maybe you've just given up motorcycling?

Magua
11th March 2008, 17:03
I've noticed an extra scratch or two on my tank after starting uni this semester. :@ Parking noobs indeed.

EJK
11th March 2008, 17:17
Leave a note saying

"I pushed your bike to the ground cause your bike was invading my bikes private space and she didn't like it. I think your bike is scared and pissing petrol... sorry about that"

Folcan
11th March 2008, 17:48
I have also noticed sometimes my mirrors are all messed up and thats when you know they are parking too close :P

shingo
11th March 2008, 18:39
That steetmagic and old yamaha are the worst parkers under the science building. They took up the equivalent space for three bikes (maybe four) and they only really equate to one and a half at the most. Good thing i managed to squeeze in between andrew and the yamaha seen as there was heaps of building material where i usually park.

Ragingrob
11th March 2008, 19:09
FUCKin scooters have taken almost all the spots down by music where like only I, a clubman, a Hyosung and the odd fireblade would park... I'm guessing one scooter saw us down there and off they all go now. Feel like playing dominos with them! Grrrr I be pissed off if one day there's no park for me

bomma
11th March 2008, 19:44

hey bro that was me and i even texted you about it!!! i apologised for blocking you in and asked you when you finished so that i could come move it if need be!!! i also realised that you were on 021 and offered my 021 number so you could text back in case you didnt have cred to txt back to an 027!!!!:innocent: i wudda parked better but i had to rush to catch the bus to tamaki!!! i would have just biked there if i knew the route!!! i apologise once again for causing you the inconvenience!!!

there was a stupid lil scorpio taking up 2 parking spaces between stevo's tl and another bike when i got there!!! :nono:

klyong82
11th March 2008, 19:54

Well I still ride a CBR here and there. Beemer is a commuter to work while the CBR is still the ultimate riding machine especially for trips out of auckland. :Punk:

That would've been the Bomma's Burgundy Hornet. You're right, that wasn't very nice blocking you in and all that. :msn-wink:

Yea what's up with that?

Or maybe you've just given up motorcycling?

Are you on drugs or something:shit:? Me giving up riding NEVER:nono:!! Don't see you riding your bike nowadays or coming to our trips so does that mean you have given up riding bro? :whistle:

I dont have problems with parking my bike at work or in the city. haha

shingo
11th March 2008, 20:55
i would have just biked there if i knew the route!!!

Was wondering why i hadnt seen the hornet out at tamaki yet. I found a good covered parking spot too down by building 733 for when the weather is lookin a bit dodgy, it should accommodate a couple more bikes.

Squiggles
11th March 2008, 21:19
i would have just biked there if i knew the route!!! i apologise once again for causing you the inconvenience!!!

there was a stupid lil scorpio taking up 2 parking spaces between stevo's tl and another bike when i got there!!! :nono:

It goes something like: Mway to ellerslie panmure, left off it, follow EP Hway to big roundabout, go 90 degree left, then left at the set of lights after the ped crossing, then after a cruise past some bike wreckers you're there...

Wises that shit. You can easily beat the bus. Bus goes some nonsense way and joins/leaves the mway at greenlane

bomma
11th March 2008, 21:20
Was wondering why i hadnt seen the hornet out at tamaki yet. I found a good covered parking spot too down by building 733 for when the weather is lookin a bit dodgy, it should accommodate a couple more bikes.

hehe yea man wud save me a lot of trubble coz all my papers are in tamaki.....

i see bikes parked under the covered areas in front of those back lecture theatres all the time aye so i wouldnt be too opposed to park there....oh well will be cycling around soon anyway so im not gonna get too worried about finding a good spot to park in

bomma
11th March 2008, 21:23
It goes something like: Mway to ellerslie panmure, left off it, follow EP Hway to big roundabout, go 90 degree left, then left at the set of lights after the ped crossing, then after a cruise past some bike wreckers you're there...

Wises that shit. You can easily beat the bus. Bus goes some nonsense way and joins/leaves the mway at greenlane

yea i paid attention to the route the bus took today....if i had time to wises that shit i wudda had time to find a better park :P was considering moving tom's bike back, pushing my bike in front and putting tom's bike back in behind mine so he could get out but time was against me :Oops:

motorbyclist
11th March 2008, 23:06

i noticed there is another hornet there almost identical but for the dents and scratches down the right hand side

me and dan were having a good laugh at nish till i noticed there wasn't a WWH sticker on the mudguard

xwhatsit
11th March 2008, 23:12
hey bro that was me and i even texted you about it!!! i apologised for blocking you in and asked you when you finished so that i could come move it if need be!!! i also realised that you were on 021 and offered my 021 number so you could text back in case you didnt have cred to txt back to an 027!!!!:innocent: i wudda parked better but i had to rush to catch the bus to tamaki!!! i would have just biked there if i knew the route!!! i apologise once again for causing you the inconvenience!!!

Lmao, don't stress. Thanks for the PM lol. I think you've got a different number -- maybe somebody else on the club register going `wtf, I didn't ride today'. As I said in the PM, mostly just ranting because I had a shit day. Having to pop a wheelie to get out of the parking lot can't be such a bad thing, right? :laugh:

What's the story relating to getting parking back on Albert St? Do we have a chance? Are we still pursuing this option?

motorbyclist
11th March 2008, 23:52
i just received an email which either means we can't park on symonds street on the 25th while they remove the car parks to build a bus lane, or that they are removing the majority of symonds street motorcycle parking

as it stands we are about to lose all parking on the engineering side up by the architecture school

SEE THE THREAD (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1470108#post1470108)

Folcan
12th March 2008, 15:07
This is a sad day for all uni bikers...

/me gets his pitchfork and torch ready