PDA

View Full Version : 250 Hornet revs

phyx1u5
11th March 2008, 18:22
Hi everyone,
Ive just got a question/problem regarding the 250 hornets. Before I had the carb set to idle HOT at 2400rpm, this got too loud after a while so i brought it back down to 1800rpm when hot, the thing is now when i try to start the bike COLD itl idle for a few seconds then steadily idle slower and slower then die, Im just wondering whats going on? It shouldnt be like this should it?
Any input would be great,
Thanks.

Caladbolg
11th March 2008, 19:20
I find on a cold morning when i start my ZXR i have to turn the idle up slightly as it will do the same as yours.. Its just the cold oil is alot thicker than it would be at the correct operating temperature. Just give some revs for a minute or two to warm her up a wee bit. If thats not the problem then its beyond me...

BASS-TREBLE
11th March 2008, 19:47
I dont know it they have manual chokes but on the GN I start it with the choke nearly the whole way out and then let it idle with the choke around half engaged, you find a sweet spot where it'll rev around 2500 (normal idle is 1250) because the mixture is just right. This heats it all up and by the time your helmet is on you can take of.

phyx1u5
11th March 2008, 20:05
Thanks for the reply guys,
It must just be me expecting too much from my bike then :Oops:

xwhatsit
12th March 2008, 00:03
Doesn't it have a choke? Give it a proper warm-up. Bike engines seem to be much more temperamental beasts than car engines with long strokes and heavy flywheels and nice retarded, fat-sparking idle ignition.

I'd expect hot idle to be more around 1500RPM to be honest, but a little faster won't hurt it.

phyx1u5
12th March 2008, 17:49
Ive figured that the problem has something to do with the sucky tube thing that plugs into the fuel tap, if i unplug it an plug it manually like with a screw the bike idles sweetly so im assuming something is wrong there so ill open it up and have a look over the weekend.
Thanks for the replies guys