PDA

View Full Version : Internal University Parking

Pages : 1 [2]

motorbyclist
21st March 2009, 00:58
unfortunately, i'm afraid that might not always be the case - a newer bike is alot harder to steal what with all the electronic protection, and vfr/zxr parts are always very easy to sell... (or swap the plates/rego from a written off one)

macros87
21st March 2009, 09:59
unfortunately, i'm afraid that might not always be the case - a newer bike is alot harder to steal what with all the electronic protection, and vfr/zxr parts are always very easy to sell... (or swap the plates/rego from a written off one)

so should i be parking next to the 90s 1100 gixxer instead then?! :shit:

motorbyclist
24th March 2009, 14:08
ok, the dodgy looking guys ARE infact unisafe officers. good to see a proactive approach to vehicle security - they even came to check out my disc lock alarm when it went off

motorbyclist
24th March 2009, 14:17
SO, today while walking through CP36 i happened to bump into some uni bigwigs discussing how to address the parking issues around uni with the bikes - specifically how to stop us riding on the footpaths.

i explained that we do what we can, but many people either don't know about the princes st access or blatntly dont care.

i also commented on how the new notices were better than the old orange ones, which i see they have reverted to. apparently the orange ones are easier to issue, but they appreciate the feedback.

what they are interested in is a way to stop bikers riding through that walkway - i suggested signage showing the princes st access but if you guys have better ideas they'd love to hear them.

also, stephen is slack and needs to get onto making a submission into getting lockers in ogg, preferably on the parking levels themselves so as to be convienient (for us, plus where else are they going to go?)

perhaps the SMC should have it's own lockers - we could apply for an AUSA grant to fund them, get permission to place them inthe ogg parking, and use a $20 per semester fee to keep them maintained. it might pay to keep them well ventilated for all the wet gear that goes in them.
good thing we have a dictatorship to eliminate red tape and comittee meetings so as to get this done promptly and efficiently:Pokey:

Squiggles
24th March 2009, 16:29
also, stephen is slack and needs to get onto making a submission into getting lockers in ogg, preferably on the parking levels themselves so as to be convienient (for us, plus where else are they going to go?)

perhaps the SMC should have it's own lockers - we could apply for an AUSA grant to fund them, get permission to place them inthe ogg parking, and use a $20 per semester fee to keep them maintained. it might pay to keep them well ventilated for all the wet gear that goes in them.
good thing we have a dictatorship to eliminate red tape and comittee meetings so as to get this done promptly and efficiently:Pokey:

You're welcome to step up and assist, so far everyones pretty much been talk (except Ross, for which we should all be grateful :apint:) :msn-wink:

Grants Programme Funding Themes

As mentioned in the Introduction, AUSA Clubs and Societies Grants aim to resource active, diverse and inclusive clubs to facilitate an enriched campus community, to encourage students to achieve a broad spectrum of experience and to encourage a sense of visible culture, social and ethnic diversity as well as sporting excellence and participation on campus.

For clubs looking to apply for a Grant, they can fulfil this requirement by showing they satisfy one (or more) of the following themes:

Theme One: Encouraging Diversity and Inclusion
The university is a diverse institution with students from a wide range of backgrounds and ethnicities. Applications under this Theme are expected to demonstrate how they will encourage and reflect this diversity and promote the concept of inclusion. Applications are particularly welcome from clubs representing marginalised or excluded groups.

Theme Two: Creating a Visible Culture
Linked to Theme One, this Theme looks to support clubs to promote cultural awareness and understanding.

Theme Three: Developing Sporting Excellence and Participation
Auckland University has a proud tradition of sporting excellence. Support will be given to clubs that continue that tradition, through the support for the costs of training, participation, and awareness-raising of the benefits of sport to the student population.

Note: only applications that can clearly demonstrate how they contribute towards one or more of these Themes will be considered.

HungusMaximist
24th March 2009, 17:53

How about you go and write one up?

Squiggles
24th March 2009, 20:25
I've attached the notice i think we should put on the bikes down in CP36... thoughts?

Ragingrob
24th March 2009, 20:36
I've attached the notice i think we should put on the bikes down in CP36... thoughts?

Yep, get rid of the cruiser :whistle:

Gosh and didn't you just give me the cold shoulder today huh! I hope it was just cause you were in a rush :girlfight:

Danae
24th March 2009, 20:57
So yeah...where's the entrance off Princes St? The university is so damn confusing. I know where Princes st is, but not this entrance.

Ragingrob
24th March 2009, 21:09
So yeah...where's the entrance off Princes St? The university is so damn confusing. I know where Princes st is, but not this entrance.

It's the staff carpark entrance with barrier arms. Just down from Alfred st on the left past the traffic light crossing towards Wellesley st.

PirateJafa
24th March 2009, 21:17
Recall where we rode down next to the barriers to get to the lockers?

Real_Wolf
24th March 2009, 21:38
Hmm, a way to block it off: Stick something a bike can't ride over easily down.

That notice looks fine squiggs, if ya wanna bring some to the chiller this friday (pre-cut) i can hand them out while I'm down there too. A few days of good canvasing, maybe a week, and we should have the problem sorted, and the ones who won't listen will be obvious

motorbyclist
24th March 2009, 22:32
You're welcome to step up and assist, so far everyones pretty much been talk (except Ross, for which we should all be grateful :apint:) :msn-wink:

How about you go and write one up?

now we all know what happened last time i wrote them a letter:innocent:

It's the staff carpark entrance with barrier arms. Just down from Alfred st on the left past the traffic light crossing towards Wellesley st.

the problem is that it isn't obvious; it's hidden away in the shade where people aren't looking. irony being that it's easier to get there from the motorway than the symonds st walkway access

Hmm, a way to block it off: Stick something a bike can't ride over easily down.

That notice looks fine squiggs, if ya wanna bring some to the chiller this friday (pre-cut) i can hand them out while I'm down there too. A few days of good canvasing, maybe a week, and we should have the problem sorted, and the ones who won't listen will be obvious

problem is they need to maintain "mobility" (cripple) access.

unfortunately there's nothing we can do about the 'rebels'... except for watch them get towed.....

motorbyclist
24th March 2009, 22:37
that new flyer/notice is a good one. get's the "stop fucking up" message across nicely.

though it could do with another point:

there's plenty of parking in OGG

SARGE
24th March 2009, 22:42
the wife got her SJ125 chained up by the wankers today..

i now have anchor chain cutters in my truck...:shifty:

wont happen twice

motorbyclist
24th March 2009, 22:44
was that at uni?

SARGE
24th March 2009, 22:49
was that at uni?

yea .. she works at the ITSS on Symonds .. i think she was parked at the OG building .. i get a call at 6 pm and she says they chained her bike up and **hmpph** "security" had to come unlock it ..

im really looking forward to trying out these big fuck-off cutters

Phurrball
25th March 2009, 18:57
If Sarge isn't available to cast off the chains of oppression, Placemakers have metre long bolt cutters I may be able to borrow on your behalf :eek:

(if i still have a job there :no:)

Slyer
25th March 2009, 18:58
Oh yes you must tell us how that went...

SARGE
25th March 2009, 19:00
If Sarge isn't available to cast off the chains of oppression, Placemakers have metre long bolt cutters I may be able to borrow on your behalf :eek:

meh .. the ones i have are only about 500mm but they have a ratchet action..

macros87
25th March 2009, 20:12
seems like there will be tons fun stuff to talk about at the chiller

Real_Wolf
25th March 2009, 21:38
Theres always stuff to talk about at the chiller. Not always good stuff, but stuff none-the-less.

They better sell me nacho's this time though

Metalor
25th March 2009, 22:12
So what's the deal with parking under the physics/maths building? Are we still allowed to? Sometimes it's packed as down there so I park next to the stairs.... got a lovely note the other day telling me not to park there in future.

Those parks are getting too well known! I can't park on Symonds St either cos I don't have a rego or warrant :P

motorbyclist
25th March 2009, 22:52
so where/how does one park in order to get their bike chained?

So what's the deal with parking under the physics/maths building? Are we still allowed to? Sometimes it's packed as down there so I park next to the stairs.... got a lovely note the other day telling me not to park there in future.

Those parks are getting too well known! I can't park on Symonds St either cos I don't have a rego or warrant :P

park at ogg....

they don't mind you parking by the stairs as long as you aren't in any way obstructing the footpath. unfortunately, security staff aren't hired for their leniency and will follow orders to the letter like all good worker bees and ticket all those not within the yellow lines

Squiggles
26th March 2009, 07:13
got a lovely note the other day telling me not to park there in future.

Was that the day you parked right in the middle of the footpath :oi-grr:

Metalor
26th March 2009, 09:53
Was that the day you parked right in the middle of the footpath :oi-grr:

Yes, it was most likely that day :D

Ragingrob
26th March 2009, 10:20
Yes, it was most likely that day :D

God damn! I tried to walk down that path that day! :bash:

Phurrball
26th March 2009, 13:57
meh .. the ones i have are only about 500mm but they have a ratchet action..

Ratchet for the win!!!

The ones at work are impressively large and retail for a retarded amount of money! (except the abused shop set)

motorbyclist
26th March 2009, 15:51
so to the retard with an oversized 50cc scooter who parked on the footpath, thanks for parking me in. i hope you like your new parking spot :niceone:

Metalor
26th March 2009, 16:07
so to the retard with an oversized 50cc scooter who parked on the footpath, thanks for parking me in. i hope you like your new parking spot :niceone:

Haha, did you move someone's bike?

Danae
26th March 2009, 16:15
Lol, was it one of those huge yellow moped things? Gosh they look ridiculous. I do ride a scooter but at least it's small....and retro. Mmmmyess.

motorbyclist
26th March 2009, 16:23
Haha, did you move someone's bike?

a big green scroter than was physically larger than my bike - with 9 inch wheels and only a 50cc motor powering it

Metalor
26th March 2009, 17:35
Hahaha, I like the thought process that went into the production of that scooter :)

Ragingrob
26th March 2009, 17:44

Told ya! It's a bitch ay, scooters should be chucked out on Princes st.

Squiggles
26th March 2009, 19:02
Told ya! It's a bitch ay, scooters should be chucked out on Princes st.

along with those gay silver honda's

Ragingrob
26th March 2009, 19:14
along with those gay silver honda's

Oh, you mean the one that has never broken down? Yeah pretty gay. :love:

Who's pouring your yardy on saturday?

Slyer
26th March 2009, 22:15
Who's pouring your yardy on saturday?
Bit late now?

Ragingrob
26th March 2009, 22:19
Bit late now?

:no:

Yardy being brought to Hanne's to complete her man :woohoo:

Danae
28th March 2009, 12:56
Since I'm practically the only scooter rider in the SMC I think I have rights to park under the science building. I do tend to park as out of the way as possible, cos by the time I finish uni all the possible blockers have left and I can leave unobstructed.

motorbyclist
28th March 2009, 15:48
doesn't matter what you ride provided you are considerate and follow the few basic rules.

we can't exactly use the "but my bike is worth a lot more than a scroter and will likely be nicked" security argument down there anymore<_<

imho ogg is the better place to park - dry, active and visible security presence, plenty of room and plenty of hiding places; htfu and commit to the 100m walk

Danae
29th March 2009, 15:25
Arr, OGG be a good place to park. I'll probably park there when I'm not late for my lectures, cos science building is right near my locker.

Malcolm
29th March 2009, 23:24
would it be impolite for me to come in here and brag about the fact that I can park my bike in a secure, locked building that is always dry and right next to engineering? :D Can put my car in there too when I feel like driving rather than riding (aahh...the perks of being a staffstudent)

motorbyclist
30th March 2009, 00:17
only if you don't share :blip:

Malcolm
30th March 2009, 13:18
ha, unfortunately I'm not convinced my boss would like it.

I noticed the small bike parking area outside 2nd floor engineering seems to have a bikes vs. scooters feel to it. There's about 3 bikes doing a damn good job of stopping a bunch of scooters from getting out

motorbyclist
30th March 2009, 16:37
it's usually the other way round - but unfortunately bikes are harder to move and do a better job of blocking people in. i only park there now if i get in very early, as i tend to leave fairly late (leave at 6 or 7pm most nights), but some day's i'll be first in and park on an edge in order to leave around noon, which then leads to scooters perking themselves in - and unisafe IS chaining bikes around engineering

I've been seeing some pretty dumb parking around within ogg too

Real_Wolf
30th March 2009, 17:59
I've seen lots of fairly dumb parking in cp36, people just can't seem to understand "its on the footpath still, even if its on the edge".

motorbyclist
31st March 2009, 23:10
ok so maybe i've found a flaw in the OGG parking; my access card doesn't have after-hours access to OGG:doh:

Hanne
3rd April 2009, 22:48
^hehe were the lifts working? They are pretty big, sure the RVF could squeeze i nthere :P

Real_Wolf
4th April 2009, 00:35
lol, now I'm tempted to see if you could fit a motorbike into the lifts. That'd be awesome.

Also, speaking of 'bad parking in cp36', yesterday Rob was parked next to the stairs, between the two poles, (not on the side in the open, the side under cover), and a car parked on the actual road, blocking him in, and covering the entire footpath at the end. He ended up having to go back and forwards a few times, get some help moving a scooter, then wheel it backwards, over a steep drain, at an angle... and they complain about the bikes parking down there

motorbyclist
4th April 2009, 03:03
^hehe were the lifts working? They are pretty big, sure the RVF could squeeze i nthere :P

i think we have found a new home for the XS :clap:

Real_Wolf
4th April 2009, 11:10
If we could get the VIN and license plate off, sure, that'd be awesome

Danae
4th April 2009, 15:40
That's about the third time this week someone's mentioned sticking a bike in the elevator. I bet my scooter could do it.

Slyer
5th April 2009, 00:38
That's about the third time this week someone's mentioned sticking a bike in the elevator. I bet my scooter could do it.
Fuck, three times at least.

Hanne
6th April 2009, 08:23
Fuck, three times at least.

Must be something to say for the idea then!

macros87
6th April 2009, 21:11
Must be something to say for the idea then!

and any idea with merit to it should at least be experimented upon! we get some balaclavas! hoodies! gloves! we start small, with a lil pit bike or scooter and we work our way up to a bike! how does that sound?

Ixion
6th April 2009, 21:15
Pshaww. Its been done. Lots. Just wheel stand the bike while stationary, and walk it vertically into the lift. Easy as .

macros87
6th April 2009, 21:19
Pshaww. Its been done. Lots. Just wheel stand the bike while stationary, and walk it vertically into the lift. Easy as .

yeah but it hasnt been done lots by us! :)

Ixion
6th April 2009, 21:27
The standard challenge is up in the lift and down the fire stairs.

macros87
6th April 2009, 21:39
The standard challenge is up in the lift and down the fire stairs.

could we add a time trial? make it a competition?

Ixion
6th April 2009, 21:43
You get extra points for anyone who tries to get in the lift when it stops between floors and is frightened off by the sight and sound of a motorcycle on it rear wheel lunging at them. Double bonus if it's a professor.

macros87
6th April 2009, 22:04
how many points for having your security camera footage be a main feature in the "help us catch this offender" section of police 10/7?

Ixion
6th April 2009, 22:16
Show me the rule that says "No motorcycles in the lifts"

Real_Wolf
6th April 2009, 22:47
Can you imagine the conversation when security comes a runnin tho? "Oh, sorry, didn't realise I wasn't allowed to bring my bike into the lift then try to ride it down the stairs, while revving at redline"

Ixion
6th April 2009, 22:56
Meh. It's all in how you put it. This is an engineering department right? So :

"Well, we needed to take the motorcycle up to the upper floor lab to validate the aural spectrum analysis as a function of temperature. It was either the motorcycle or a pick up truck. The engine needs to be running to maintain a steady temperature. So I loaded it into the lift. Then someone told me bikes weren't allowed in the lift. I always try to follow the rules , so I said I'd take it back down the stairs. There's just no pleasing you guys is there ? I mean. there's only the lift and the stairs, right? So how am I supposed to get it down? Levitation? I can hardly leave it up there can I? I'm only trying to do my best to follow your rules, under very difficult circumstances, and your attitude is not helpful"

Danae
6th April 2009, 23:00
Hahah, I think a definite plan is formulating here. Are OGG lifts big enough?

Squiggles
6th April 2009, 23:03
Hahah, I think a definite plan is formulating here. Are OGG lifts big enough?

They would KILL us.

Ragingrob
6th April 2009, 23:14
Yep it would suddenly turn into a motorbike free uni haha!

I got parked in by a car and a scooter the other day when I was parked beside the stairs. Interesting huh! Scooter had parked behind me and a car parked half on the footpath and half on the road fully blocked my way.

Thankfully real_wolf was about and we wrestled the scooter outta the way then threw my bike across the drain. A security dude took down the rego of the car and made a phone call :2thumbsup

motorbyclist
6th April 2009, 23:50
lol i remember reading somewhere about some guys in an engineering department cutting a car up into bit small enough to fit through a standard doorframe and welding it back together inside a small classroom'

had pics too

Danae
7th April 2009, 00:18
lol i remember reading somewhere about some guys in an engineering department cutting a car up into bit small enough to fit through a standard doorframe and welding it back together inside a small classroom'

had pics too

Woooooow! What a feat yo.

Real_Wolf
7th April 2009, 11:28
yeah, that car was so badly parked. And that scooter was just the weirdest thing. Who ever heard of little bits of "carbon fibre" on a scooter, let alone fake painted on stuff. There was a tiny bit on the back of a seat in like a mini spoiler style thing, and some on the front fairing.

Good to know that the security did take down the cars rego then

Magua
21st April 2009, 17:41
I got parked in by a car and a scooter the other day when I was parked beside the stairs. Interesting huh! Scooter had parked behind me and a car parked half on the footpath and half on the road fully blocked my way.

Some genius in a scooter blocked in several bikes and myself today. A corner park in ogg, he had parked in the entrance to the park rather than against the wall like everyone else. :S

Paint is fun.

Ragingrob
21st April 2009, 19:08
Some genius in a scooter blocked in several bikes and myself today. A corner park in ogg, he had parked in the entrance to the park rather than against the wall like everyone else. :S

Paint is fun.

Haha wtf, some people just do not have a clue :bash:

Danae
21st April 2009, 22:28
What a douche...:slap:

I always hide my scooter down on P4, and park near the wall as I'm usually quite late in leaving.

Magua
21st April 2009, 22:30
P2's where it's at, yo.

motorbyclist
22nd April 2009, 00:57
watched a guy come into engineering today;

saw teh parking was already overfull, so he parks across the rear of three other scooters blocking them all in and obstructing another bike

Ragingrob
22nd April 2009, 21:31
Stupid security guy telling me not to park in my parking space today. F off! Call the waahmbulance... "Blah blah blah you said my manager said this but now he says a security guy said that" :weep:

Squiggles knows lol

Phurrball
22nd April 2009, 21:35
On a happier note -

I was piloting the cage through the chaos that is Symonds street this afternoon - what I saw pleased me:

The bike parks were being sealed. They were being sealed with what appeared to be hotmix - hurrah!

Soon, we can dice with the deadly buses to our heart's content WITHOUT our side stands sinking in :yes:

Danae
22nd April 2009, 21:43
I think I can hear the hallelujah chorus now...
Speaking of Symond's st, I was waiting in the queue for the lights there (not quite confident enough to lane split yet) when a guy begins to pull into the lane behind me. Beeeep beeeeeeeeeep beep beep! BEEEP! I shuffle forward a bit but I can't exactly go anywhere and this guy is right up my arse trying to push in. :tugger:

Real_Wolf
23rd April 2009, 00:50
Stupid security guy telling me not to park in my parking space today. F off! Call the waahmbulance... "Blah blah blah you said my manager said this but now he says a security guy said that" :weep:

Squiggles knows lol

/me is curious

Ragingrob
23rd April 2009, 08:01
/me is curious

Apparently by parking in front of a concrete pole, which has another concrete poll behind it also so that absolutely no car can get there, I was taking someone's car park :clap:

Grey Weasel
4th May 2009, 21:01
So I just got one of 'em orange stickers with the "we'll tow/chain" for parking down the back of Arts Post Grad and it's clearly on the big fluro'd map you guys have as safe.

Perhaps I should talk to one of you guys that do the talking to Unisafe to check if I am actually in the clear and its not just some mistake...

In the mean time, I'll just have to park under science quad and hike to my locker...

Squiggles
4th May 2009, 21:17
So I just got one of 'em orange stickers with the "we'll tow/chain" for parking down the back of Arts Post Grad and it's clearly on the big fluro'd map you guys have as safe.

Perhaps I should talk to one of you guys that do the talking to Unisafe to check if I am actually in the clear and its not just some mistake...

In the mean time, I'll just have to park under science quad and hike to my locker...

Or park in OGG, its probably closer... Please circle the spot you mean on the map here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=120933&d=1235703535 and post the attachment

Ragingrob
4th May 2009, 21:27
I parked on the island under cp36 today, got fucken parked in AGAIN with a car in the carpark in front (fine), bikes either side of me (fine), and a fucken car parked against the island behind me (hopefully security will have words with them).

Grey Weasel
4th May 2009, 21:28
well, I would but my Paint (the only artsy software I have on my budget relic puter) won't open that file to circle the spot on it.

Guess I'll just have to pop up on Friday to Strata and check it out with you.

gavjn
4th May 2009, 22:12
i park at OGG... best place ive found. + theres security constantly walking around so cant complain 2 much. and bike doesnt get wet XD

Ragingrob
4th May 2009, 22:22
well, I would but my Paint (the only artsy software I have on my budget relic puter) won't open that file to circle the spot on it.

Guess I'll just have to pop up on Friday to Strata and check it out with you.

If you park underneath the walkway against the garden retaining wall that's meant to be absolutely fine to park there I believe.

Real_Wolf
5th May 2009, 00:02
I parked on the island under cp36 today, got fucken parked in AGAIN with a car in the carpark in front (fine), bikes either side of me (fine), and a fucken car parked against the island behind me (hopefully security will have words with them).

Little did Rob know that we secretly find people to specifically park to block him in.....

Kungfaux
6th May 2009, 16:26
Anyone know what the deal is with parking on Alfred st?? I see so many bikes parked there these days...

Danae
6th May 2009, 16:41
I'm pretty sure that parking on Alfred st is not allowed but people do it anyway.

OGG is the best place IMO; dry, heaps of parking (on lowest levels). It's just that many people can't be bothered walking from OGG to their lecture/locker/what have you

motorbyclist
6th May 2009, 17:09
Anyone know what the deal is with parking on Alfred st?? I see so many bikes parked there these days...

we used to have it a few years back, but they got rid of it to make way for the pedestrian mall they are yet to build. stephen convinced them to replace it with a bit more on symonds street but now even that has been undone....

basically, expect a ticket and you'll have a nice surprise every time you come back until the wardens catch on.

methinks them not opening the bike parking on symonds is deliberate - they'll open during the break, right in the middle of winter, and go "oh wow! look it's hardly full; they don't need all that parking we removed!"

meanwhile even p4 of ogg is getting full - that leaves one more level until bikes start spilling out onto the footpaths/gardens again....

Squiggles
6th May 2009, 17:35

I wouldnt go parking there, news is the wardens just hit Princes & a scooter was seen on the back of a towtruck :crazy:

Grey Weasel
6th May 2009, 20:35
Didn't see the scooter go but did see a full on haulfest with security guards and a unisafe all lending a hand. Seems someone annoyed the uni by parking over a driveway and so set off a full sweep.

Squiggles
6th May 2009, 20:38
Didn't see the scooter go but did see a full on haulfest with security guards and a unisafe all lending a hand. Seems someone annoyed the uni by parking over a driveway and so set off a full sweep.

wouldnt mind details as im pretty sure they're not supposed to be touching anything... coming to the chillah friday?

Phurrball
6th May 2009, 21:59
Indeed this sounds interesting and disturbing. I want to know more.

(drums fingers together in a Monty Burns "exxxxcellent" way smelling the illegality and unfairness needing remedy...)

I'll bring a letter I received from Parking Services along to the chiller too - for amusement purposes...

Kungfaux
6th May 2009, 22:57
I'm pretty sure that parking on Alfred st is not allowed but people do it anyway.

OGG is the best place IMO; dry, heaps of parking (on lowest levels). It's just that many people can't be bothered walking from OGG to their lecture/locker/what have you

Heck yeah, i love OGG parking. So casual. Its mean cos we get to park our bikes in a dry, flat, reasonably spacious and secure place!! I wonder how much cagers pay to park there? Got myself a nice little nook on p3 haha.

Symonds st is pretty rats, i wonder what it'll be like when reopened. i parked there a couple of times earlier this year on my scoot, so awkward with the traffic right up your ass. Speaking of traffic, the queue to turn right into grafton is getting longer and longer is morning huh??

xwhatsit
6th May 2009, 23:02
Speaking of traffic, the queue to turn right into grafton is getting longer and longer is morning huh??
Yes. However, new pedestrian lights phase means Queen St-style everybody-cross-at-once.

So, filter to the front. When pedestrian crossing light turns green, dismount motorcycle, walk slowly across the intersection, remount, ride down the hill to Grafton.

Danae
6th May 2009, 23:26
Yup, that green arrow doesn't last very long at all. I'm still not completely confident about filtering tho. If I park in OGG I just turn left straight onto grafton so no biggee.

motorbyclist
7th May 2009, 00:39
Speaking of traffic, the queue to turn right into grafton is getting longer and longer is morning huh??

they REALLY need to re-do the phasing at those lights to let the traffic turn right at the same time as it goes straight through. the wait for uphill traffic will be the same, but it will aid the traffic flow downhill; the right turning queue backs right up over wellesly st, but if both green at the same time, both lanes will be moving in union, rather than straight through traffic sailing down between a row of parked cars and pedestrians. they're really fucked whenever a big truck wants to go down that way.

Ragingrob
7th May 2009, 08:36
Yeah I dunno why the fuck they're phased like that. Most lights at similar intersections in Auck will have the right turn and straight through go at the same time.

Real_Wolf
7th May 2009, 09:34
tehy have done the same one with the wellersely queen st intersection. There is one phase where ONLY one direction has a right turn, and a left turn, but no straight through. There is no reason that direction can't have a straight through but for some reason its a red light, despite nothing travelling accross it

Danae
7th May 2009, 13:18
The lights could be phased so that the pedestrians crossing from OGG side to Alfred St would go when cars etc turn into Grafton Rd...it's a combination of everyone crosses at once, the short arrow phase, rush hour traffic and that bloody pedestrian crossing by engineering that stuffs this whole thing up.
Council aren't having much luck with Symond's St, are they? XD

macros87
7th May 2009, 13:49
The lights could be phased so that the pedestrians crossing from OGG side to Alfred St would go when cars etc turn into Grafton Rd...it's a combination of everyone crosses at once, the short arrow phase, rush hour traffic and that bloody pedestrian crossing by engineering that stuffs this whole thing up.
Council aren't having much luck with Symond's St, are they? XD

they really arent... i cant understand most of the changes they have made to it, i fail to see how any of them make anything better

Ixion
27th July 2009, 21:21
Can we still has parking in Cp36 (thats the one with the entrance off Princes St just past the pedestrian crossing , right?).

What about under the stairs between the science building and the cafe, the ones that go up to the plaza thing between the commons and the science building? I see bikes under there but is it lawful?

I has a course to go to.

Failing that, I assume we still can has parks in the Owen G Arsehole Building ?

Ragingrob
27th July 2009, 21:34
Can we still has parking in Cp36 (thats the one with the entrance off Princes St just past the pedestrian crossing , right?).

What about under the stairs between the science building and the cafe, the ones that go up to the plaza thing between the commons and the science building? I see bikes under there but is it lawful?

I has a course to go to.

Failing that, I assume we still can has parks in the Owen G Arsehole Building ?

Yeah cp36 all good, even got labeled parking these days!

Dunno how 'lawful', but haven't ever seen anything done to those bikes.

OGG all good with labeled parking too.

On that note... Who put the note on the comet today saying "Stop being a retard"? :lol:

I went and read it and he turned up and assumed I wrote it haha.

Ixion
27th July 2009, 21:37
Thanks you.

I wasn't me . I always spell wetard wiv a wubbleyu. And I wasn't there. An I got an alibi. An anyone on security camera footage that looks like me is just a coincidence. And there isn't anyone anyway.

Squiggles
27th July 2009, 22:43
I went and read it and he turned up and assumed I wrote it haha.

I believe it was the green zxr rider he parked in lol :laugh:

Ragingrob
27th July 2009, 22:50
I believe it was the green zxr rider he parked in lol :laugh:

Haha nice! I was kinda annoyed someone touched my bike the other day, rolled it forward <_<

Squiggles
27th July 2009, 23:07
Haha nice! I was kinda annoyed someone touched my bike the other day, rolled it forward <_<

You seriously need a bungee cord or whatever to alert people to ya disklock btw

Ragingrob
27th July 2009, 23:09
You seriously need a bungee cord or whatever to alert people to ya disklock btw

Well they shouldn't really be moving my bike should they? :2guns:

motorbyclist
28th July 2009, 01:13

well you shouldn't be putting it where it needs moving ;)

Ragingrob
28th July 2009, 08:25
well you shouldn't be putting it where it needs moving ;)

I was parked in that little triangle next to the car, I assume Triumph dude moved me forward so he could park straight through the gap in the wooden beams, at right angles to them. There was already a bike in front of me, so I would have been parked in if I was wanting to leave before that guy.

The only time a bike should be moved is where they have parked someone in, or if they have parked completely stupidly.

Moving someone's bike comes with a risk of damaging it. I'd be fucked off to come back to a bike that's been dropped, or damage due to disc lock. Especially as I'd have no idea who did it cause I bet they'd piss off.

Danae
28th July 2009, 08:51
Lol I completely by accident bumped into Metalor yesterday. Went to park in Cp36 and another biker was there. "Morning" etc. Rider takes off helmet. We both do a hilarious double check. "Lol, Metalor?"

So now I have met Metalor irl :2thumbsup

Squiggles
28th July 2009, 09:57

I'd be fucked off to come back to a bike that's been dropped, or damage due to disc lock. Especially as I'd have no idea who did it cause I bet they'd piss off.

:msn-wink: </10chars>

Ragingrob
28th July 2009, 19:30
:msn-wink: </10chars>

No, I wont take off my clothes for you Stephen.

Squiggles
28th July 2009, 19:33
No, I wont take off my clothes for you Stephen.

I thought we had something special :crybaby:

Ragingrob
28th July 2009, 19:40
I thought we had something special :crybaby:

Oh we do baby... All I was saying was that if you want them off, you gotta do the hard work!

:shifty:

Metalor
2nd August 2009, 18:14
Lol I completely by accident bumped into Metalor yesterday. Went to park in Cp36 and another biker was there. "Morning" etc. Rider takes off helmet. We both do a hilarious double check. "Lol, Metalor?"

So now I have met Metalor irl :2thumbsup

Haha, we did indeed!

Like your avatar by the way, didn't realise you're a metalhead! Or do you just like Metalocalypse?

Metalor
2nd August 2009, 18:15
Oh we do baby... All I was saying was that if you want them off, you gotta do the hard work!

:shifty:

Trying desperately hard to not touch myself right now.

Fucking teases.

Danae
3rd August 2009, 08:51
Haha, we did indeed!

Like your avatar by the way, didn't realise you're a metalhead! Or do you just like Metalocalypse?

Both sort of, I'm into a bit of metal. But Metalocalypse is fucking win

Metalor
6th August 2009, 18:49
Hey, who's got the KTM? Fuuuucking nice bike, went and had a bit of a geezer (wank) at it today.

motorbyclist
7th August 2009, 15:14
dude, i hoped you wiped it off afterwards or he's gonna be mighty pissed:laugh:

jono035
8th August 2009, 10:39
Anyone from here park in the little area under the quad level just outside the entrance to the maths/science building? Couple of quite nice bikes under there, all shiny and everything!

Squiggles
8th August 2009, 11:38
Only most of us...

jono035
8th August 2009, 11:46
Only most of us...

I normally only see maybe 4-5 bikes there, surely there are more of you than that?

I'm on the ratty looking dark grey gsx250 just around the corner under the building. Normally parked with a couple of suzuki scooters and a gn250 that all belong to guys from the power electronics group.

Real_Wolf
8th August 2009, 12:07
I get the feeling you mean a different place. CP36 is impossible to find parking in after 10, well not really but its bloody full, to say theres only 4-5 bikes means your looking in the wrong place. Maths+science building, you mean the physics one I assume, and if so, thats a main carpark, and if so, theres lots of bikes there

Danae
8th August 2009, 12:31
Is it that place hidden in the dark that you access from Wellesley St?

jono035
8th August 2009, 12:56
Is it that place hidden in the dark that you access from Wellesley St?

Yep, thats where I park. Was asking about the place just around the corner from that, on the edge of the staff car park.

Danae
8th August 2009, 13:23
Yep, thats where I park. Was asking about the place just around the corner from that, on the edge of the staff car park.

Oh yeah yeah! I think I know it. Walking to the compsci labs I see a few bikes parked out there.

Real_Wolf
8th August 2009, 20:23
ah yes, the one you access by going round the side... personally since you have to get there from princes street I just use cp36.

Still, gsx accross ftw

jono035
9th August 2009, 00:31
ah yes, the one you access by going round the side... personally since you have to get there from princes street I just use cp36.

Still, gsx accross ftw

Well it's pretty much directly under where the lab where I live currently, so nice and convenient. Apparently the trick is not to park at the very edge, because one of the guys had his scooter coated in peach schnapps and then later vomited on...

metalslug
28th October 2009, 11:18
Does anyone know about motorcycle parkings in the Auckland uni Grafton (Medical campus)?

Parked my bike yesterday next to the front entrance, about 1-2 meters away from the pushbike rack (didn't want to park near there cuz it will block the spaces for pushbikes).

So when I get home I got this orange sticker on my seat, it basically says that I need to park my "cycle" next to the cycle stand otherwise they will lock it up...etc

So just wondering if I can just park my "cycle" next to the pushbike rack. If I can then sweet but would be silly cuz I will be blocking most of it :sweatdrop Tried ringing the uni parking warden this morning but no one seems to ever be there.

any idea?

Squiggles
28th October 2009, 12:41
I believe theres a dedicated motorcycle park up at Grafton, will try to trawl through my emails this evening for details

metalslug
2nd November 2009, 13:22
Regarding to the Grafton carpark:

Called Rob the parking warden today- can't park motorbike around push bike stand...

There is actually a motorbike parking space inside Auckland Hospital (at the end of a on ramp) , which is not university property but can be used by members of public. Gonna go and check it out tomorrow!

MacD
11th November 2009, 21:04
I believe theres a dedicated motorcycle park up at Grafton, will try to trawl through my emails this evening for details

There used to be motorcycle parking in the carpark at the front of the building with the cafe in it, however that is now gone (replaced currently by a large hole in the ground).

The motorcycle park at the hospital is next to the old hospital building front entrance, in the space where the brick building was demolished a year or so ago. Go up the ramp to your right as you turn in from Park Avenue. It's fairly full most of the time however.

Squiggles
11th November 2009, 22:00
(replaced currently by a large hole in the ground).

thats the one!

Ixion
11th November 2009, 22:11
There are a number of signed motorcycle park areas at Auckland Hospital.

The one to the right as you enter from from Park Road (opposite where the Wallace block used to be until barbarians struck); another one smaller but usually has vacant space , enter from Grafton road , the first hospital entrance going down the hill, ride around a little and it's on the right just by the "back door", opposite the other carpark building entrance.

Another one (mainly used by scooters it's probably a bit tight for a big bike, past the main entrance , bear down the hill (internal road) a bit and its on the left, off the road a bit.

Basically just ride around and see where there are bikes parked.

And in the lower carpark itself there are bike spaces allocated (maybe in the top one too, don't know).
And , if you find an out of the way niche , that does NOT ahve a "no parking" or "No motorcycles" sign, they don't seem to mind.

Folcan
29th April 2010, 10:28
There was some fun to be had this morning... In CP36 there was a unisafe??? I assume guy telling everyone who wasn't parking in the marked motorcycle parking that they won't be allowed to park there anymore. So I think there will be lots of yellow stickers are on the horzion haha

Squiggles
29th April 2010, 10:33
There was some fun to be had this morning... In CP36 there was a unisafe??? I assume guy telling everyone who wasn't parking in the marked motorcycle parking that they won't be allowed to park there anymore. So I think there will be lots of yellow stickers are on the horzion haha

That'd be right, theres still a couple of dicks coming in from symonds st and parking in the way...

Folcan
29th April 2010, 10:41
I doubt anything will happen. but the guy was also saying that he will speak to management or something about marking out more parks or something.. yea right haha

jono035
29th April 2010, 10:43
That change is a bit of a bastard, means I've got to park in that dark little hole again which means either a U-turn or illegal right hand turn out onto symonds street to get home... Bah.

Danae
29th April 2010, 12:23
That change is a bit of a bastard, means I've got to park in that dark little hole again which means either a U-turn or illegal right hand turn out onto symonds street to get home... Bah.

Ya and the road works atm mean there's a raised ridge along the centre of the road up there, so you can't even illegally turn right anymore. :crybaby: U-turns it is.

jono035
29th April 2010, 16:35
Ya and the road works atm mean there's a raised ridge along the centre of the road up there, so you can't even illegally turn right anymore. :crybaby: U-turns it is.

I got ticketed for that illegal right turn so I'm over that approach, anyway :p

Real_Wolf
29th April 2010, 17:14
I got ticketed for that illegal right turn so I'm over that approach, anyway :p

That sucks. Thats also the way I get down to my mates place at AUT, had to use the sidewalk instead (being careful to do it when no pedestrians anywhere in the way).

Also, unisafe has been orange stickering things, gotten 2 that i remember, if not 3, for my parking spot (always checked too, such that i wasn't in the way or a problem in any way). Also saw some guy writing something down wearing unisafe looking at one of the bikes on that 'verge' bit next to the gutter, directly ahead as you come in from princes street. That bit thats got a curb that people go up to park on.

motorbyclist
29th April 2010, 17:54

yes, there has been a sudden interest in what has otherwise been pretty incident free parking from what i've seen.

Funny how it has all occurred since that little revving session a few days ago where a certain 400, 1000 and 600 were all getting a rev while a certain 100 was trying to clear it's poor little exhaust of oil - when I pootled off down teh carpark, just around the corner was an old dinousaur of a woman (therefore very high up in the university pecking order) with an expression suggesting she had just ate an entire lemon.

so, i'm not surprised. all the blue smoke probably didn't help, but a bit of harmless noise for all of a minute while some elderly academic is around and we're all getting fucked for no clear reason apart from their being a prick.

Not to worry! auckland city council provide free parking... sure it's half what it was two years ago and the police couldn't care less about teh thefts but hey, it's there isn't it? not enough? just park in OGG - but remember to get your bike back before the place locks up while you're sitting that test, and prepare for a hot walk if you use a locker for all your gear cause it's all uphill from there!

also doesn't help that the ninja rider parking by the bank and the vespa rider parking at the base of the stairs into shads couldn't care less. vespa riders are clearly ultra cool rebels:rolleyes:

That'd be right, theres still a couple of dicks coming in from symonds st and parking in the way...

caught one of them the other day when it was raining - apparently the 30-odd seconds saved by going through the walkway would prevent him from being saturated by the downpour outside. worst excuse ever, especially when i'm standing there in full wet weather gear having just decided to leave later in the day once the rain had eased.

jono035
29th April 2010, 18:10
Funny how it has all occurred since that little revving session a few days ago where a certain 400, 1000 and 600 were all getting a rev while a certain 100 was trying to clear it's poor little exhaust of oil...

The 400 may or may not have had a mighty exhaust leak, as well... :innocent:

Oh well, back to parking in the far less convenient place around the corner... Got blocked in really blatantly by a scooter that was chained to a railing... Luckily the chain was long enough that I could pick the thing up and wedge it into a corner out of the way, otherwise I would have been tempted to just remove its wheel to move it...

Edit: There may have also been an airhorn demonstration happening, as well...

Ixion
29th April 2010, 19:09

Wait wait, what? Right turn into Symond's St illegal? ut I do that all the time. Right turn from where? Since when? Says who?

jono035
29th April 2010, 19:55
Wait wait, what? Right turn into Symond's St illegal? ut I do that all the time. Right turn from where? Since when? Says who?

Google Streetview (http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=-36.853258,174.767916&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=19&sll=-36.853188,174.768062&sspn=0.001466,0.002411&ie=UTF8&ll=-36.853508,174.76817&spn=0,0.001206&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=-36.853578,174.768264&panoid=ONde06Oni_evF6XtmEg9LQ&cbp=12,129.74,,0,19.12)

Right turn onto Symonds St from Princes St via the access road running parallel to Wellesley St. It's been illegal since at least 9 months ago when I went back to uni. Illegal according to the markings on the road, the signpost on the intersection itself and the cop who wrote me the ticket who reminded me of the last 2 points.

They seem to be making it progressively more difficult to navigate around the CBD. I started parking in CP36 because the only way to get onto Symonds St (to take advantage of the bus lanes) from where I parked under the ECE department was to turn right at that intersection or do a U-turn on Symond St, which is over double yellows and within range of a traffic-light pedestrian crossing or intersections. The only other options are find somewhere else to U-turn (not a lot of great options), go back via Queen St (shudder) or up Grafton Rd (not a wonderful option, all told...).

Ixion
29th April 2010, 20:07
But but but - You NEED to turn right there . Well, maybe you don't but I do. Cos you (I mena me, uh I) can't ride down Alfred ST now (another ballsup). So how am I (uh, you, as in anyone) supposed to get onto the Southern?

I ain't never seen no signs. I can't be having with signs at my time of life.

I guess maybe I can ride up the footpath (there's no sign about that , right?) to Wakefield St, I'm sure I can do a right turn there.

jono035
29th April 2010, 20:43
But but but - You NEED to turn right there . Well, maybe you don't but I do. Cos you (I mena me, uh I) can't ride down Alfred ST now (another ballsup). So how am I (uh, you, as in anyone) supposed to get onto the Southern?

I ain't never seen no signs. I can't be having with signs at my time of life.

I guess maybe I can ride up the footpath (there's no sign about that , right?) to Wakefield St, I'm sure I can do a right turn there.

Uhhh, a legal left turn from that intersection can get you onto the southern... Unless you're taking the piss and I'm being dense...

Ixion
29th April 2010, 21:53
Well a left turn from ANY intersection will eventually get you to the Southern .But if you turn left you then have to turn right down Wozzaname hill into Grafton rd and through that perverted intersection and the arsehole onramp. That's a shit route I don't go that way. So I need to turn right for the onramp at Grafton Bridge . I can't be having with left turns at my time of life

jono035
29th April 2010, 22:00
Well a left turn from ANY intersection will eventually get you to the Southern .But if you turn left you then have to turn right down Wozzaname hill into Grafton rd and through that perverted intersection and the arsehole onramp. That's a shit route I don't go that way. So I need to turn right for the onramp at Grafton Bridge . I can't be having with left turns at my time of life

Ahhh, I getcha. Just watch out for new model holdens in your mirrors... Mufti was sitting right behind me when I pulled out and he found the thing quite amusing. Worst $150 I've ever spent...

Squiggles
29th April 2010, 23:26
They seem to be making it progressively more difficult to navigate around the CBD.

Its a no right turn thanks to the number of near misses imo... The pedestrian mall / bus runway? is the real cockup

jono035
30th April 2010, 08:23
Its a no right turn thanks to the number of near misses imo... The pedestrian mall / bus runway? is the real cockup

I think it's more likely that it's due to the difficulty of actually turning right in a car during busy times and those people holding everyone up which is mostly due to its proximity to the lights there...

motorbyclist
3rd May 2010, 17:45
But but but - You NEED to turn right there .

we're meant ride all the way down princes, turn right into waterloo, the right again and go all the way back up symonds.

or turn left and run the red to turn right becuase it's past midnight and there's not a car in sight to justify the 5 minute wait, ride slowly up to the lights on grafton as the sensor is placed waaay up by the ogg parking lights so you don't have to stop, then use the "bastard" onramp and use the truck lane.

or just give a squirt and use the plastic barrier thing to literally jump into the queue of traffic :innocent:

if they were serious about pedestrian safety and illegal u-turns (ie road safety) they'd put up a fence like they have on great south road

superman
28th February 2011, 19:59
Is parking under the quad/ inbetween science building and shadows still the best place for covered bike parking? Planning on beggining to ride in from tomorrow and don't really want my bike out in the sun all day :niceone:

Hanne
28th February 2011, 20:10
There is now lots of parking in the OGG carpark, I believe the bottom level also has bars which you can lock your bike to.

Just a note to be wary when parking on Symonds Street as a large section of what used to be bike parking is now a loading zone. Was full of bikes and scooters today, the council will be ticketing people who park there even though it is their fault we have such a parking shortage! I do believe Squiggles is following this one up with them at the moment...

maggot
28th February 2011, 20:15
So the entrance to OGGB park is along Grafton Rd right?
There were an insane amount of scooters out today..
Also, if one wants to park under the quad (closest to my locker) how do you get in/out?

superman
28th February 2011, 20:58
So the entrance to OGGB park is along Grafton Rd right?
There were an insane amount of scooters out today..
Also, if one wants to park under the quad (closest to my locker) how do you get in/out?

I'm going to have a squiz there, since its closer to my locker too. I've heard you can squeeze through the barrier.

Walking up from OGGB in my full leathers sounds... actually meet loads of chicks... :bleh:

Fucking squeaky as boots though... just had to get torsion control didn't I :facepalm:

maggot
28th February 2011, 22:08
I'm going to have a squiz there, since its closer to my locker too. I've heard you can squeeze through the barrier.

Walking up from OGGB in my full leathers sounds... actually meet loads of chicks... :bleh:

Fucking squeaky as boots though... just had to get torsion control didn't I :facepalm:

Doooooo it.

What're you studying by the way?

superman
28th February 2011, 22:14
Doooooo it.

What're you studying by the way?

In my 2nd year doing a double major of calculus and physics. You?

maggot
28th February 2011, 22:29
Second year double major Egyptology and Archaeology, woo woo
Might see you around then, try and spot you from all the other ninjas out there :msn-wink:

Magua
1st March 2011, 08:34

Enter from Princes Street. Jump on the footpath and ride around the barrier. Watch out for pedestrians while you do this :P

Ixion
1st March 2011, 13:07
Also watch out for other bikers coming *out*. DAMHIK.

Squiggles
1st March 2011, 17:37

Keep to the bike parks if possible and don't park on the footpath at the bottom of the stairs (Either side of the stairs is fine but don't park on the strip running across the carpark infront of them).

Enter only from Princes St

Play nice and Unisafe should continue to play nice with us :niceone:

superman
1st March 2011, 23:56
Keep to the bike parks if possible and don't park on the footpath at the bottom of the stairs (Either side of the stairs is fine but don't park on the strip running across the carpark infront of them).

Enter only from Princes St

Play nice and Unisafe should continue to play nice with us :niceone:

Yeah pretty limited parks so I guess first in first served. Yay for 8am lectures :msn-wink:

Parked in OGG today bloody another 08 Green Ninja there. I felt not too bad though because he only had a stock exhaust on it... and an L plate. Keeping it real obviously they were. :weird:

maggot
2nd March 2011, 09:16
Yeah pretty limited parks so I guess first in first served. Yay for 8am lectures :msn-wink:

Parked in OGG today bloody another 08 Green Ninja there. I felt not too bad though because he only had a stock exhaust on it... and an L plate. Keeping it real obviously they were. :weird:

You'll find they're dime a dozen round town/uni. In fact I've got a mate with a green 09 and stock cans, but no L plate.. Pack rack though!

On a more serious note though, is it just me or are there seriously more scooters parking on Symonds? Last year it'd have to be a bad day for me to not get a park, but so far this year I haven't had a chance to get one.. It's crazy!

superman
2nd March 2011, 11:12
You'll find they're dime a dozen round town/uni. In fact I've got a mate with a green 09 and stock cans, but no L plate.. Pack rack though!

On a more serious note though, is it just me or are there seriously more scooters parking on Symonds? Last year it'd have to be a bad day for me to not get a park, but so far this year I haven't had a chance to get one.. It's crazy!

Yeah there are scooters bloody everywhere! All driven by people in t-shirts and shorts! Ahh well, guess cost of fuel and public transport making people go to bikes/scooters like it was in the 70s. One of the main reasons I got my bike :facepalm:

superman
2nd March 2011, 21:18

How/where did he get a pack rack for the ninja?! I want one! Need One! Back pack is getting fuller and fuller everyday!

maggot
2nd March 2011, 21:21
How/where did he get a pack rack for the ninja?! I want one! Need One! Back pack is getting fuller and fuller everyday!

I think it came as standard from the dealer he bought it off.. somewhere down in Hamilton or some such

Squiggles
2nd March 2011, 21:32

Probably a Ventura rack, most shops can order one in