PDA

View Full Version : Internal University Parking

Pages : [1] 2

Squiggles
28th September 2007, 09:33
Im splitting the other thread into 2, this one will relate to internal parking, the other to the symonds st / buslane plan

Details of our current UoA Internal Parking arrangements can be found on this post: Click Me. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1474292&postcount=24)

For info on AUT parking Click here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=79800)

Filterer
12th March 2008, 11:14
Along with the above possible problems - today a security guard gave everybike parked under the quad a 'ticket' for parking on the footpath saying that number plate has been recorded and that a tow truck may be called......

There goes another 30-50 parks......

shingo
12th March 2008, 17:38
Along with the above possible problems - today a security guard gave everybike parked under the quad a 'ticket' for parking on the footpath saying that number plate has been recorded and that a tow truck may be called......

Plus they have now stuck Auckland Towing signs up all along the back of the gym and over by the caged in vans. I really doubt they will be towing any bikes tho.

Filterer
12th March 2008, 21:24
You mean by the lockers?

Well beside the lockers yes, but bikes extend down into the staff car park near the cages (actual cages, not cars) where the vans park near the science building.

Not sure if they also ticketed the bikes that park further across in the bay that the compsci rooms lead to, the one that exits onto the road up to Symonds st.

Not sure if this is related to the removing of parks on symonds st, or if its just unisafe being cocks. Having said that, parking under their was starting to get a little excessive

MGST
12th March 2008, 21:33
Not sure if this is related to the removing of parks on symonds st, or if its just UNSAFE being cocks.

Corrected your spelling for you.

Squiggles
13th March 2008, 10:30
I've split the other thread into 2, this one will relate to internal parking, the other to the symonds st / buslane plan

xwhatsit
13th March 2008, 11:57
They didn't seem to give any more of those internal tickets out today. What I can't work out is why the `tickets' proclaimed we were parking on the footpath. That particular diagonal parking space under Science has lines painted there ffs. Maybe they're meant for pushbikes? But there's no rack or anything.

Squiggles
13th March 2008, 12:22
I met with David this morning, discussed our problems both internal and external

He is going to setup a meeting with the man incharge of unisafe and parking, so we can bring our concerns to the table.

For now i'd like to request that people take pictures of good spots for bikes to park inside the uni. Out of the way areas that can fit a few bikes and have easy access that doesnt interfere with foot traffic (Like just off grafton road if you go up the service entrance to under engineering, theres a spot where a few bikes park) Theres plenty of these, with pictures/descriptions of the spot (so i can find it) i can put these to the man incharge.

And yes, this request will go out in the email i send tonight

Folcan
13th March 2008, 12:57
Has anyone seen that there is also people parking there by the architiure if you go towards where the ALR.. I wonder if they are getting complained at

Squiggles
13th March 2008, 13:18
I have a meeting / walkaround with the man tomorrow at 11, hopefully we can resolve this with a beneficial outcome

I know of a few other spots, but if you guys have any, you have until then to tell me about them!

Filterer
13th March 2008, 14:05
Nice work squiggles

Squiggles
13th March 2008, 15:40
Its only good work if we propose some alternatives, we stand to loose a piece of the area we park in, so need to come up with alternatives. Having investigated the buisness school today, there is indeed an unmarked area, just after you enter, but to get to it you have to ride over the curb or bypass the barrier and drive round to it. Its a good spot though, perfect for some of the buisness / arts /music students

The only area we're parking in (in science) that we will probably be able to retain is the white lined piece infront of the cars, none of the areas along the walls etc.

HungusMaximist
13th March 2008, 16:01
Its only good work if we propose some alternatives, we stand to loose a piece of the area we park in, so need to come up with alternatives. Having investigated the buisness school today, there is indeed an unmarked area, just after you enter, but to get to it you have to ride over the curb or bypass the barrier and drive round to it. Its a good spot though, perfect for some of the buisness / arts /music students

The only area we're parking in (in science) that we will probably be able to retain is the white lined piece infront of the cars, none of the areas along the walls etc.

Good job so far Squiggles and good on yah for taking this on for the rest of us.

Somebody gotta go around and do the digging, and I can't think of a better person! :2thumbsup

Squiggles
13th March 2008, 16:13
I've attached a map for people to doodle on, im sure theres a spot someone around where the question mark is, but the lined/circled areas are where im looking at the moment. They dont give much spread, but i dont usually leave the science areas :pinch:

Folcan
13th March 2008, 16:45
That place I was talking about is by building 409 and 423, they park against that building. I have seen some spots by the bio / thomas building but its like maybe 3 or 4 spaces at most

bomma
13th March 2008, 19:12
im sorry to be a downer guys but looking at the bigger picture, we have trouble finding spots NOW even with parking on symonds st.....imagine what's going to happen when symonds st goes.....and with how anal the fucking paking wardens are being, i cant see a compromise happening.....

great work on both accounts squiggles.....its a good thing we made a hardy bastard with the know how and intiative club president :2thumbsup

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 19:36
what about the grass bit between engineering and the footpath?

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 20:11
Im splitting the other thread into 2, this one will relate to internal parking, the other to the symonds st / buslane plan

see, i very nearly did the same thing this morning but decided to let it up to you as you have mod rights...

so now i've gotten the ball rolling, i'll back off and follow you rather than us stepping on each other's toes. I told whats-his-face that you'll be meeting tomorrow and to correspond through you rather than me

awaiting orders! (actually i might be going to hamilton tomorrow)

Sent: 13 March 2008 10:30
To: Earl Wyatt
Subject: Motorcycles/Scooter parking on campus

Hi,

I'm an engineering student emailing on behalf of the UofA Scooter and Motorcycle Club (SMC), with queries about the parking notices being issued to motorcycles and scooters parked on campus rather than out on Symonds Street. I would have called but after a long string of answering machines it seems email is the best way to go to get a meaningful response.

The response among the SMC and the student body in general towards the parking towing signs and unisafe "tickets" has been entirely negative. The reason for this is largely because we do not understand why they have been put up:

Why are bikes not allowed to park under the commons if they do not interfere with the car parking?
Why are bikes not allowed to park on the gravel on Grafton Rd near the new commerce buildings?
Has there been any complaints that should be forwarded to the SMC?
Why are pedal bikes allowed to park wherever they so please?
Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to a shortage of parking on symonds st?
Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to ongoing thefts of the more valuable motorcycles from symonds st?
Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to the frequency of "near misses" where students trying to negotiate into a tight parking slot find themselves caught by a wave of traffic?
Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to the frequency of "near misses" where students trying to negotiate out of a parking spot cannot see traffic (and vice versa) due to the trees blocking everyone's view?
Is it not in the best interests of the university to ensure that it's students are not financially crippled by theft?
Is it not in the best interests of the university to ensure that it's students are not physically crippled by an avoidable accident?

I see that the "no parking" signs have been removed within several hours of their placement. If one of our club members are responsible we do apologise, and are stressing to our members that no member takes any drastic action while we get to the bottom of this - unfortunately the law students among us have made the point that you cannot tow a vehicle if the no parking sign was not present at the time of their parking there, and the common perception is that provided a vehicle is not actually blocking pedestrian traffic, there should be no issue with parking there.

We are aware that Symonds st parking is not the university's property, and are not asking for you to chase that up, but are simply enquiring as to why the university is taking such an unreasonable approach to motorcycles parking on campus; It seems that, with the apparent loss of parking on Symonds st due to take place over the easter break and rising petrol prices further increasing the number of motorcycles/scooters, parking on campus will become more common and should really be resolved sooner rather than later.

Thankyou for your time and cooperation

Andrew Petty - apet067

SMC Comittee

To: Andrew
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 3:14 PM
Subject: RE: Motorcycles/Scooter parking on campus

Hello Andrew,

Firstly I am acknowledging receipt of your email, however I cannot answer all your questions straight now.

One point however is that the current parking of motor cycles and scooters in Symonds St outside the Rec Centre will remain as is.

I am meeting David Bo, AUSA tomorrow, where I am looking at some options.

CP36 has become hazardous on the pedestrian walkways with motor cycles parked or riding, and those are the only motor cycles that are being targeted, however I understand that other motor cycles that are not offending might have received notices.

I will get back to you further .

regards

Earl Wyatt
Security & Custodial Services Manager
Property Services
The University of Auckland
Phone 064 09 373 7599 ext. 87642
Mobile 021 937961, University fast dial 64214

My reply:

thank you, the SMC is currently on a bit of a campaign to secure parking. while the university does assure us that there will be no loss of parking this easter, the council is yet to get back to us, we still have not been able to contact the development manager, and the publicly available plans show only 40m of parking total on symonds street; compared to the current 150m this isn't acceptable. not your problem we know, and trust me i do hope that we have misinterpreted the plans.

I believe you will be meeting the SMC president stephen and the AUSA president David, so i'll let you continue to correspond with stephen, though answers to those questions (or atleast the first thee) would be nice

thanks

i do like to ask hard questions... just some could call them "scathing", "unfair", and often don't encourage total co-operation.... should have atleast gotten the asshat who ticketed us in trouble though

shingo
13th March 2008, 20:27
Probably a stupid question, but what is CP36?

Ragingrob
13th March 2008, 21:15
Alright well this is the only bit of parking off-street I know, don't steal my spot!!! Fits about 8-10 bikes, damn scooters have found it and are taking up all the space now though :spanking:

motorbyclist
13th March 2008, 22:07

i assume it's the area under the commons

motorbyclist
14th March 2008, 12:59
what's the outcome of the meeting?

Ixion
14th March 2008, 13:03

Is not the quad the area that used to be called the Student Union? Near where the Maidment Theatre is now? Used to be a grassy knoll where the orators held forth at lunch time. The reason I ask is that this area , the Student Union buildings and the grass knoll used, at any rate, to actually belong to the Student Union, not the University. I know this because it was very extensively investigated when the police wanted the University to forbid Tim Shadbolt from preaching revolution on the knoll. Turned out they (the University authorities) , although they administered the area, didn't actually own it, and could not legally forbid its use. Only the SU could, who of course told the cops to go suck a long one. (Cops tried to arrest him anyway, but their phalanx couldn't break through the line of massed students with linked arms , and Tim spouted above it all. The cops wimped out on using batons, just as well for them, there was a contingency plan ready for that). So, if it is still the case, the SU could allow parking ? (Though I have a perception that the STudent Union nowdays are rather wimpish)

Squiggles
14th March 2008, 13:05
Outlined on the map below are some of the areas that are ok to park in, most are even marked for our use.

Under the science centre: The white lined area under by the physics building is ok, if you are parking long ways stick as close to the cage as possible and you should be fine, this is marked m/c parking... Other spots down there include by the steps, in the small angular sections in the corners and so forth. NOT behind the gym along the walkway. More spots can be accessed via the Computer Science service entrance

The area out under the steps on symonds street is fine, fit as many in as possible.

Outside engineering, off the grafton road service vehicles entrance next to the stairs is a marked MC area. Some already park there, others sit clear of it, along the walls of the buildings (between walls + cars), cars have been scratched because of this, so please stick to the marked area.

Owen G Glen parking building. This is the largest parking area. Most corners are large angular parks, Other spots are beside poles and next to the elevators. All are labelled MC but as long as you are not in the way/taking a carpark you will be fine.

There are also parks available in the Law School carpark, and at Grafton campus.

The area's in green are good, the red are a no go zone. If you know of any other good spots let me know and we'll try make them official, They should be fine as long as they dont get in the way of foot/car/maintenance traffic

Non-KB'rs can view the attached image here:
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2364/uniparking.jpg

Magua
14th March 2008, 13:25
Legend :D Nice work. _b

MGST
14th March 2008, 13:28

CP36 is Carpark 36, which is the carpark between science / maths physics, student union, and the rec centre ( where Steven, Hanne, Andrew, etc park, and I saw your VTR250 there the other day by the stairs up to the quad area ). That whole area is Carpark 36.

xwhatsit
14th March 2008, 13:41
Awesome, Squiggles. Thank-you so much :yes:

I may have interpreted your post incorrectly, but did you discuss with him the little gravel bit between OGGB and the Grafton Rd footpath?

Squiggles
14th March 2008, 14:10

I may have interpreted your post incorrectly, but did you discuss with him the little gravel bit between OGGB and the Grafton Rd footpath?

Yes, the uni wants that gone (aesthetic value i believe), but to inside the building (and i believe you can exit the lifts just out by the gravel bit)

That way everyone stays dry tooo

motorbyclist
14th March 2008, 14:11

i've got the low down on that one :D

----
me 1 Why are bikes not allowed to park under the commons if they do not interfere with the car parking?

earl wyattWhere under the KEIC building – commons are you referring to?? Bikes are not to ride or park on pedestrian walkways, which I suspect is possibly the areas – can you explain further??

CP36. stephen has reminded the club that riding on the walkway is unnacceptable, especially considering it is easier to leave via princes st than negotiate through walkways. the issue was with all bikes being ticketed when they were not actually blocking a path, but hopefully new markings will clear that up

2 Why are bikes not allowed to park on the gravel on Grafton Rd near the new commerce buildings?

The whiteish gravel area in Grafton road is either Transit NZ or Auckland Council land, and subject to their laws/whims. The UoA Senior management is also concerned/unhappy with the motor cycles parking there and Unisafe are merely trying to get the riders to park elsewhere

will get back to you on that one, we were under the impression it was uni property (as unisafe was ticketing and not the ACC wardens)

3 Has there been any complaints that should be forwarded to the SMC?

Complaints about ??

If there is a complaint made about a motorcycle or motorcyclist causing obstruction or creating a hazard feel free to inform the SMC and we can tell them, and others, what was wrong and not to do that again, rather than the current system of ticketing the bike and the rider not understanding why.

4 Why are pedal bikes allowed to park wherever they so please?

Bicycles are not allowed to park anywhere, action is taken as much as possible to re-direct them to the racks and bike shed.

thankyou

5 Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to a shortage of parking on symonds st?

Not really – there are quite a lot of quiet out of the way spaces where motor cycles can park – seems to be a few spaces available in Symonds St when I walk past. All parking is severely restricted on campus anyway.

a common opinion among members is how it was often difficult to find spots at peak times. we count around 140 bikes in the bike parking around noon with approximately 150m of parking on symonds street - we do not have an accurate count of the bikes parked elsewhere.

6 Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to ongoing thefts of the more valuable motorcycles from symonds st?

No – have the thefts been reported to Unisafe and Police?

yes reported to the police. on one occasion we saw the theifs in the act. would've been nice of the police to show up while the theifs went up and down the road looking for another bike after the first attempt failed, but it seems the police cannot do much until the vehicle has actually been stolen.

7 Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to the frequency of "near misses" where students trying to negotiate into a tight parking slot find themselves caught by a wave of traffic?

Symonds St is a busy road, and probably will get worse in the near future – inner city streets can be dangerous for all

thankyou. we hope that the new pedestrian crossing shown on the central transit corridor plans will help give clear windows in which to enter/exit parks

8 Is the university aware that the parking of motorcycles under the commons is in response to the frequency of "near misses" where students trying to negotiate out of a parking spot cannot see traffic (and vice versa) due to the trees blocking everyone's view?

We are concerned about traffic – (I am aware that Senior management have approached and discussed road dangers to Council on many occasions and are still doing so.

as above - though the same plans show yet more trees being planted

9 Is it not in the best interests of the university to ensure that it's students are not financially crippled by theft?

I cant answer this – naturally we do not want students to be victims of crime

luckily it looks like we may get modification of the central transit corridor project to include a bar along the bike parking to which we can lock our bikes

10 Is it not in the best interests of the university to ensure that it's students are not physically crippled by an avoidable accident?

We know that, and do all we can to prevent which is why the pedestrian walkways must be kept clear of parked motor cycles or motor cycles travelling on the pedestrian ways.

I see that the "no parking" signs have been removed within several hours of their placement. If one of our club members are responsible we do apologise, and are stressing to our members that no member takes any drastic action while we get to the bottom of this - unfortunately the law students among us have made the point that you cannot tow a vehicle if the no parking sign was not present at the time of their parking there, and the common perception is that provided a vehicle is not actually blocking pedestrian traffic, there should be no issue with parking there.

Motor cycles can park in quiet areas, where they do not obstruct pedestrians, vehicles or cause damage to buildings, cars etc and m/cycles should not receive a warning notice or be removed if they are not offending. Any prudent driver/rider should always park where they know they have authority – if they do not have such authority the prudent driver/rider does not park.

thankyou, see number 3 above

--

We are aware that Symonds st parking is not the university's property, and are not asking for you to chase that up, but are simply enquiring as to why the university is taking such an unreasonable approach to motorcycles parking on campus; It seems that, with the apparent loss of parking on Symonds st due to take place over the easter break and rising petrol prices further increasing the number of motorcycles/scooters, parking on campus will become more common and should really be resolved sooner rather than later.

We actually are trying to be very proactive in providing parking for motor cycles. I have spent several hours walking the OGGB car park and marking out spare areas to be painted as parking spaces for motor cycles – we now have to get the road marker in and they are busy to paint the areas. Hope to have this done by Easter. I also convinced the Management to allow motor cycles to park in the OGGB for free, provided they were not parked in car spaces. We are also in the process of marking out several other motor cycle park areas in sector 400 and 300 – the issue is ‘space’ we just do not have it.

The President of AUSA and a member of the motor cycle group have met with me, walked the campus and seem happy with the initiatives I am taking to make life easier for motor cyclists.

a big thankyou for this one, stephen has given a brief report on the outcome of the meeting and it does sound like a good move forward

MGST
14th March 2008, 14:29
You fellas are doing a first class job on everybody's behalf, and going about it the right way. Big bling to both Steven and Andrew, keep up the excellent work.

Squiggles
14th March 2008, 14:51
Dont spose you can label the colours at the start of that post andrew, took me a few lines to guess who wrote what :lol:

No more chaseups needed. The guy already knew who you were (had your emails printed out) when i met him :lol:

Magua
17th March 2008, 13:18
How do I get under the science centre/cp36 without riding through the pedestrian walkway from Symonds? At the Princess Street entrance you need an electronic swipe card?

Ragingrob
17th March 2008, 14:04
How do I get under the science centre/cp36 without riding through the pedestrian walkway from Symonds? At the Princess Street entrance you need an electronic swipe card?

You go up onto the footpath and it takes you beside the barrier :2thumbsup

shingo
17th March 2008, 17:32
Sucks how the put the bar back infront of the exit now.

I had a problem getting out today as the construction guys had parked their cars real close to the concrete pillar so i couldn't get out, had no choice but to take the walk way.

Chrislost
17th March 2008, 17:32
there is a barrier today.
as anyone got a plank to put over the curb?

Magua
17th March 2008, 17:43
You go up onto the footpath and it takes you beside the barrier :2thumbsup

There were metal spars/poles/things on the footpath next to the barrier. I shall see tomorrow morning.

Squiggles
17th March 2008, 23:04
Barrier opened for me when i rode up to it... maybe im just special :cool:

motorbyclist
17th March 2008, 23:57
jeez guys! today you were all spaced out so far i couldn't fit, but i could if i shunted all your bikes along.... too lazy so parked where i parked....

shingo
18th March 2008, 15:17
Barrier opened for me when i rode up to it... maybe im just special :cool:

Never actually tried riding up to, just saw it and could see no way around, so i took an alternative route. Will have to try it tomorrow and see what happens.

2wheeljunkie
18th March 2008, 15:27
i have always used the pathway right beside the barrier eh. may seem a little tight to squeeze bt once twice and ull be zippin through it without a thought.. :banana::wari::banana::wari::banana::wari::banana: :wari:

motorbyclist
18th March 2008, 22:57
so far whenever i've gotten there at day the workmen have been there and opened it for me:bleh:

and it seems that sometime before 8pm the gate is left open by default

motorbyclist
18th March 2008, 23:40
i think the SMC needs some official "mate can't you read? don't park here or unsafe will tow you - they say the problem is with bikes obstructing the flow of foot traffic, so park over there by the cage or maybe parallel behind the gym where that steel bar is... or out on symonds street"

ehab2weelr
19th March 2008, 15:54
i road in today for the first time in what seems so long, found parking just like that, compared to the days i had been driving in finding a park for a bike is many times easier than finding one for a car, and also bikes dont have to pay jack sh!t for parking.

the closest parking for a car is a 10min walk to uni up hill and that coasts me $7 too..... think iv spent more money coming into uni in the past 2 weeks than i have the year last year riding????? gas is so expensive????

motorbyclist
19th March 2008, 23:03
that's why we choose to ride... plus it's more fun

Ragingrob
20th March 2008, 13:24
Managed to arrive and leave just when another car was going through barriers so I followed them on through... But when I was leaving, the lady stopped and told me that I'm not meant to be in there if I don't have a swipe card and that the barriers are breaking due to people tailgating and holding them up longer? LOL?! No problem going on the footpath but just thought it was easy to follow people in and out.

shingo
20th March 2008, 16:09
I rode through today as the guy was repairing the arm so had no problems getting in. When it came to parking tho the guy with the gn had his helmet hanging off his bike, making it near impossible getting into what was a good sized space without scratching up his helmet, or melting it on my exhaust.

Squiggles
20th March 2008, 16:12
I rode through today as the guy was reapring the arm so had no problems getting in. When it came to parking tho the guy with the gn had his helmet hanging off his bike, making it near impossible getting into what was a good sized space without scratching up his helmet, or melting it on my exhaust.

rofl, thats my gn and hannes helmet :confused:

Ragingrob
20th March 2008, 16:16
rofl, thats my gn and hannes helmet :confused:

Ha well I managed to fit in there, just took a bit of leaning angle to work my way in :dodge:

shingo
20th March 2008, 16:22
I got in but couldnt get off my bike very easily, plus the guys who owns the gpx wouldn've had a hard time getting his bike out if he was leaving before me. Doesn't matter tho i got a park in another spot anyway.

ehab2weelr
20th March 2008, 21:04
we need a ramp on that footpath one of my noob mates found it hard to get his rear up, he managed but after several attempts....haha :lol: :lol::2thumbsup

xwhatsit
20th March 2008, 21:20
we need a ramp on that footpath one of my noob mates found it hard to get his rear up, he managed but after several attempts....haha :lol: :lol::2thumbsup

Really? 18" wheels can't make that much difference, surely, but I just try and hit it as flat as possible, never had a problem. I sort of half stand on my pegs, too, but that's just habit for lumpy bits rather than necessity.

On a similar note, you know that wooden sleeper that sits behind the angled parking next to the cage (presumably to stop cars going too far forward), I tried riding over that yesterday (no car in the park), rather than do an 18-point turn the normal way (VFR restricting entrance angles somewhat). Front wheel went over fine, but the back wheel just wouldn't -- wheelspinning, then the engine stalled. Started it, wheelspin again, stalled -- and couldn't start :laugh: So I couldn't go forward, and I'm fucked if I could get the front wheel back over the sleeper. Stuck!

Thank god for light little narrow singles, I ended up lifting the front back over with one hand on the forks. Won't try that again :lol:

motorbyclist
21st March 2008, 01:08
i had a chat today with the graduate who was parking his cbr250 behind the gym and sticking onto the path. explained the situation and he parked parallel.

(VFR restricting entrance angles somewhat)

was that me? i don't remember parking you in.... though i did block the streetmagic off a bit when i parked in that parallel spot i park in occasionally

xwhatsit
21st March 2008, 11:04
was that me? i don't remember parking you in.... though i did block the streetmagic off a bit when i parked in that parallel spot i park in occasionally

No there was absolutely no problem parking there, whoever it was (next to the big concrete pillar), it just meant I had to do a few point-turns. I was lazy, and thought I'd just bounce over that wooden sleeper from behind and go straight into the empty spot. Didn't work! So I had to carefully back it in anyway lol.

Hanne
21st March 2008, 13:37
the guy with the gn had his helmet hanging off his bike, making it near impossible getting into what was a good sized space without scratching up his helmet, or melting it on my exhaust.

Haha can't have been me then! :whistle:

Sorry about that, i did wonder if it was enough room... hopefully my zzr is back in action by next week and regular helmet locking procedures can continue!

2wheeljunkie
25th March 2008, 21:52
im ever soo happy we got that internal parking back...hermm..cant imagine myself parking anywhere else..:Punk:

motorbyclist
26th March 2008, 23:44
soz shingo, i imagine i was parked a bit close to your bike once you leant it off the stand

was in too much of a hurry to move it and the green thing across 6 inches

shingo
27th March 2008, 09:04
soz shingo, i imagine i was parked a bit close to your bike once you leant it off the stand

was in too much of a hurry to move it and the green thing across 6 inches

It was a little close so we just tilted your bike out the way so i could get out.

Has anyone confirmed if the arm lifts automatically when you ride up to it? I tried it yesterday and nothing happened.

motorbyclist
27th March 2008, 12:04
nah you need to use an access card, i'm assuming mine doesn't work so just go over the kerb and thru the gap

shingo
27th March 2008, 15:24
Yeah i saw the sign on my way out today. It wouldnt be so bad if the construction guys didnt park so close to the concrete pillar making it hard to get up on the path.
Didnt matter today as i followed a car both in and out :2thumbsup

Filterer
27th March 2008, 19:41
Has anyone confirmed if the arm lifts automatically when you ride up to it? I tried it yesterday and nothing happened.

Yip you def need a pass - as an alternative which no one else has mentioned - I ride straight past the cages towards the Muslim prayer space, take a hard right just before it and go down the ramp, you end out in another carpark which has direct access to the street

xwhatsit
27th March 2008, 21:25
Yip you def need a pass - as an alternative which no one else has mentioned - I ride straight past the cages towards the Muslim prayer space, take a hard right just before it and go down the ramp, you end out in another carpark which has direct access to the street

Serious??! Gah, never new that existed. Awesome. Does it come out in the little one-way uphill street that goes up to Symonds St?

shingo
27th March 2008, 21:28
Serious??! Gah, never new that existed. Awesome. Does it come out in the little one-way uphill street that goes up to Symonds St?

Yep it does. The ramp on the stairs is a little steep, but i'm sure the mighty cb will handle it. I'm to chicken shit to try going up or down it, last thing i want to do is drop my bike :baby:

xwhatsit
27th March 2008, 21:41
Yep it does. The ramp on the stairs is a little steep, but i'm sure the mighty cb will handle it. I'm to chicken shit to try going up or down it, last thing i want to do is drop my bike :baby:

Can you come from the other direction?

Magua
27th March 2008, 21:49
You could try. It's a steep ramp.

shingo
27th March 2008, 21:52

Yep. If you come in the driveway, follow if round to the right you get to a covered walkway. Turn right into there and hit the ramp with a bit of speed and you should be good. I rode a streetmagic up it a couple times without any problems. There is also a little area just before the ramp on the left that you can park your bike in too.

xwhatsit
27th March 2008, 22:01
Awesome. Sounds like a challenge :laugh:

Who's going to bring a video camera to get the footage for Youtube when I arse off?

Magua
27th March 2008, 22:08
Know how, can do.

Squiggles
27th March 2008, 22:16
Alternatively you can park in the dark bay just before the ramp ;)

Magua
27th March 2008, 22:31
Where's the fun in that?

motorbyclist
27th March 2008, 23:14
i see they have painted NO parking all around that walkway under the commons and officially marked the cage parking as bike parking

as for doing a mission around the walkways and going up/down what i remember to be wooden ramps, why not just squeeze through the gap by the gate? if me and stephen can manage it with our behemoths you guys can too!
one of the major issues that we/unsafe has is the walkways becoming partially blocked by bikes, and pedestrians not knowing wtf to do when they come across one of us riding in a walkway - so i'd suggest NOT going that way, or through ANY walkway for that matter

i sure wish that idiot cage driver didn't start parking at an angle to stop me using that spot i took a few times

Filterer
28th March 2008, 11:53

Yes but I wouldn't - the mighty GN makes it down no trouble but I wouldn't want to go up it

as for doing a mission around the walkways and going up/down what i remember to be wooden ramps, why not just squeeze through the gap by the gate? if me and stephen can manage it with our behemoths you guys can too!
one of the major issues that we/unsafe has is the walkways becoming partially blocked by bikes, and pedestrians not knowing wtf to do when they come across one of us riding in a walkway - so i'd suggest NOT going that way, or through ANY walkway for that matter

The reality is that the going down the ramp you are pretty much on the footpath for the same distance as if you were parked at the end of the cage and had to leave out the main gate. If you are parked parallel to the cage you then have to reverse a good 5 meters, and then you also have to go up the footpath to get out the carpark by the gates.

Yes it is wooden, not quite sure why you highlighted that fact, its under cover so doesn't get wet and slippery

Squiggles
28th March 2008, 12:02
alternatively, if you want to enter that way, you can park just before the ramp, in the alcove... that area has been ok'd ;) and saves you riding up and down the ramp... I would just do the obvious and go past the barrier on princess

ehab2weelr
28th March 2008, 21:47
its so much simpler to just go up the footpath....come on ppl do u want ur bike stuck up a ramp?? <_< i dont care il take the footpath i mean if my over sized gsx can make it without even taken my feet off the pegs im sure any one can too....:first:

Squiggles
28th March 2008, 21:52
its so much simpler to just go up the footpath....come on ppl do u want ur bike stuck up a ramp?? <_< i dont care il take the footpath i mean if my over sized gsx can make it without even taken my feet off the pegs im sure any one can too....:first:

Yer, its all good to enter through the ped gap beside the barrier, but just dont enter off symonds down the walkway :)

motorbyclist
29th March 2008, 14:02
alternatively, if you want to enter that way, you can park just before the ramp, in the alcove... that area has been ok'd ;) and saves you riding up and down the ramp... I would just do the obvious and go past the barrier on princess
+1

Yes it is wooden, not quite sure why you highlighted that fact, its under cover so doesn't get wet and slippery

less than ideal traction, and we don't know how strong it is. wouldn't look good to the uni if a motorbike riding a footpath broke a disabled access ramp;)

though i didn't realise it was such a short distance

Filterer
29th March 2008, 14:12
wouldn't look good to the uni if a motorbike riding a footpath broke a disabled access ramp

No probs, I was just proposing an alternative - Take the stairs if you are worried :devil2:

del-solider
30th March 2008, 19:16
Hey guys im new here, just got my first bike and going to start riding into uni :2thumbsup

Thanks alot for this thread really informative guna have a walk around tomorrow adn look out for the spots

Youll be seeing my Bandit there soon ;)

Squiggles
30th March 2008, 22:01
Hey guys im new here, just got my first bike and going to start riding into uni :2thumbsup

Thanks alot for this thread really informative guna have a walk around tomorrow adn look out for the spots

Youll be seeing my Bandit there soon ;)

Welcome,
Come up and introduce yourself if you end up parking under science, im the one with the orange tl or the green beaten and battered gn :Punk:

oh, and join the club (if you havent already) :D

Phurrball
2nd April 2008, 16:10
Speaking of bike parking on campus -

I had occasion to be over at the Med School today - in the car park, they had dedicated bike parks, but get this:

There was a steel bar to lock to...and it gets better...

Not only was there a bar, but there were even loops of chain already spaced along the bar so all you needed was a padlock to secure your bike!

(Sadly my cell battery was low and it wouldn't let me take a photo - will do when I get the chance)

How well sorted is that?

Looked like it had been there for a while - how come we have to fight for space on campus when such luxury appears to have existed at the Med school for some time?

(DHB involvement instead of the poxy university administration? Or is there some hyper-organised secret med student biker gang we don't know about?) :shifty:

Squiggles
2nd April 2008, 20:32
I went riding around the ogg carpark today, seems to be quite a few parks there now, they're labelled "MC"

ehab2weelr
3rd April 2008, 20:31
weas the ogg??
me and kyle have made a new discovery like 3 days ago, we found a new place to park....:rolleyes:
some how more bikers found so i come in today to c my spot taken up by andrew and the zxr400?? oi mine!! :spanking:

Ragingrob
3rd April 2008, 20:34
OGG is that massive new business school building. Down the road off Symonds towards newmarket/motorway onramps.

Magua
3rd April 2008, 21:06
Do we have to pay to get in or can we ride past the barrier?

Ragingrob
3rd April 2008, 21:10
Can get past barrier apparently, I haven't been in yet but Stephen checked it out and yeah.

Squiggles
3rd April 2008, 21:29
Yer, theres a large gap next to the barrier, just ride past, then go around looking for the parks labelled "MC", its in white writing, they're in most corners and odd spots. if you cant see one just park out of the way (not in a carpark) and you'll be fine

I plan on sticking up some flyers next week to let the people parking on grafton rd (in particular) know they can just park out of the weather inside

Ragingrob
3rd April 2008, 21:32
How many bike parks in total do you think?

PS how's the battery??

Squiggles
3rd April 2008, 22:02

PS how's the battery??

Not sure, might go in there tomorrow evening and have a quick count, quite a few though

Battery, im going to chuck it on after uni tomorrow (1pm), then it'll be done when i head off to meet you lot at strata

Hanne
5th April 2008, 09:12

PS how's the battery??

I thought they said something like 50? It was quite a few

motorbyclist
6th April 2008, 18:31
what's the story with the parking around the grafton access to engineering? it still says no parking everywhere.

seeing as cp36 is so full and the spot is somewhat more convienient for me i was thinking of parking there instead... saves me moving all yer bikes too :bleh:

ogg sounds good, will have to evaluate the walk though (ogg 100m? vs cp36 50m vs englvl2 5m)

Magua
7th April 2008, 13:25
I parked in OGG today. I saw a few scooters in there, but the parks were largely empty. I was pleased that I had found a park a few floors below my history lecture until I remembered that my gear needed to be put in my locker underneath the quad, doh.

ehab2weelr
8th April 2008, 09:39
I parked in OGG today. I saw a few scooters in there, but the parks were largely empty. I was pleased that I had found a park a few floors below my history lecture until I remembered that my gear needed to be put in my locker underneath the quad, doh.

yea whats goning on with the locker thing in the ogg? any news updates?

Squiggles
8th April 2008, 11:51
yea whats goning on with the locker thing in the ogg? any news updates?

Havent contacted AUSA about the possibility yet

bomma
8th April 2008, 21:56
man the people parking on symonds st are pissing me off!!! inconsiderate pricks i tell ya!! thers an fxr taking up 3 biking spots parked between two bikes that are each taking up 2 biking spots!!! i was like WTF!!! its like they saw a massive parking space and thought "hmm lets see how much of this space i can take up here"

shudda taken a pic and left notes but had to rush off to tamaki....next time theyre gonna find my bike parked on top of theirs.....(im just venting and wont actually take any violent action)

motorbyclist
9th April 2008, 00:33
so i parked in ogg today.... not bad at all

except i only know of one pedestrian access, and without an access card to the new building i can't get to my bike once the doors lock...

do we know when the carpark closes?

Squiggles
9th April 2008, 11:09
so i parked in ogg today.... not bad at all

except i only know of one pedestrian access, and without an access card to the new building i can't get to my bike once the doors lock...

do we know when the carpark closes?

11:30pm

http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/about/uoa/campuses/transport/transport_auckland/driving.cfm

Magua
9th April 2008, 12:13
I noticed a van parking in an "MC" park while I was in there. :nono:

Squiggles
9th April 2008, 18:33
I noticed a van parking in an "MC" park while I was in there. :nono:

yer, which is why im going to stick a wee thing up infront of them (if you were in a rush, you wouldnt know they were mc parks), and if it still happens, they'll end up being towed

Ragingrob
9th April 2008, 18:40
Just checking... Access is down the road opposite Alfred St (Grafton Rd?) and turn left and gap beside barrier?

Magua
9th April 2008, 19:15
Just checking... Access is down the road opposite Alfred St (Grafton Rd?) and turn left and gap beside barrier?

That is correct, sir.

motorbyclist
9th April 2008, 23:52
i checked today and it is 11:30 pm, but the door to the lifts in the ogg building locks earlier than that i assume.

but the guy i asked did say if you get a ticket on entry you could probably use that to get in via pedestrian access after it locks, and just not pay with it.

i wouldn't as it'll mess with their computer system, make the carpark think it's full when it isn't....

Squiggles
9th April 2008, 23:58
If the lifts lock early just walk in the car entrance i guess

motorbyclist
10th April 2008, 00:00
yeah, just realised you'd probably have to pay the ticket to get in the doors anyway wouldn't you:pinch:

Squiggles
30th April 2008, 11:26
Yesterday a pedestrian was hit/came so close to being hit by a bike coming through from symonds that it was reported

Please remind all those you see down there to come in from princess st, no exceptions.

xwhatsit
30th April 2008, 22:50
Wasn't me -- I'm a well behaved little fellow, innit -- but was just wondering, if you were on the Symonds St side, is there an easy way to get to the parks? Or anywhere near Princes St? Without going all the way around in the heavy traffic and dozy drivers.

I nearly always come up from the motorway, so it's never an issue, but very occasionally I'm coming from Parnell and it's a pain in the arse. You can't go down the same way you come up -- they've got ruddy great traffic islands -- and we're not allowed to go the `wrong way' up Alfred St anymore (we used to have a narrow wee lane just for bikes/cycles to get to the parks there).

Squiggles
30th April 2008, 23:05
Wasn't me -- I'm a well behaved little fellow, innit -- but was just wondering, if you were on the Symonds St side, is there an easy way to get to the parks? Or anywhere near Princes St? Without going all the way around in the heavy traffic and dozy drivers.

I nearly always come up from the motorway, so it's never an issue, but very occasionally I'm coming from Parnell and it's a pain in the arse. You can't go down the same way you come up -- they've got ruddy great traffic islands -- and we're not allowed to go the `wrong way' up Alfred St anymore (we used to have a narrow wee lane just for bikes/cycles to get to the parks there).

easiest way is to come up the mway, as in, turn from parnell to up the mway, then take the exit as the mway begins (stanley st/the one you can turn off to goto the domain), turn right onto wellesley street...

To get to ogg if i was coming from home i'd get off the mway at wellesley, turn right, then take two lefts and id be coming up grafton road

motorbyclist
1st May 2008, 00:46
Yesterday a pedestrian was hit/came so close to being hit by a bike coming through from symonds that it was reported

Please remind all those you see down there to come in from princess st, no exceptions.

put up a notice perhaps:

"STOP: DON'T RIDE YOUR BIKE THROUGH HERE; GO AROUND VIA PRINCES ST OR ELSE WE'LL LOSE THE PARKING -SMC"

motorbyclist
5th May 2008, 20:02
RIGHT

so today ehab informed me that there was another ticketing spree. turns out they've got new stickers to ticket with, advising us to move our "cycles" and to use the racks instead

also seems to be the threat of having your bike chained rather than towed.

will post up details/photos later tonight so we can prepare a request to unsafe to explain the problem. it was stuck on bikes parked on that random bit of footpath. one bike was a legitimite cause for concern potentially making it difficult to access the driver's door of a car (and didn't have a sticker that i could see), the rest were not in anyone's way and had stickers.

also, ehab pointed out that there is a double size park there as car's can't manuvuer around a pole to access both spaces if it was split. does anyone actually use that whole double park? perhaps it could be marked bike parking?

in the meantime, someone has removed their sticker (they were stuck on the seats) and put it on the front of ehab's bike - on his unprotected primer.

whover did this please realise ehab is going to have to sand/clean that primer to remove the residue left by the sticker adhesive before he can spray anything over it, and we're lucky it didn't pull any paint off with it. you most probably thought it was harmless and not known any better but obviously ehab isn't happy.

Ragingrob
5th May 2008, 20:33
[SIZE="4"]RIGHT

so today ehab informed me that there was another ticketing spree. turns out they've got new stickers to ticket with, advising us to move our "cycles" and to use the racks instead

Wait so where were these bikes parked? What racks?

Hanne
5th May 2008, 20:51
I'm assuming this wasn't in the area with the painted lines by the wire sheds? I was parked there all day (9-3) and din't have naything left there on my bike... Have to say there weren't many bikes parked near me though which was odd, surely that marked area should be people's first choice with the other random areas only used as a last resort.
Even though Kyle and Ehab etc weren't in anyone's way!

Magua
5th May 2008, 21:27
The footpath near the stairs underneath the quad? Who's the genius who double parked their Jade on the footpath?

shingo
5th May 2008, 21:45
The footpath near the stairs underneath the quad? Who's the genius who double parked their Jade on the footpath?

That guy was a bit of an idiot.

I purposely parked my bike right up against the wooden barrier things to block as little of the path as possible, then he goes and double parks right next to me.

Ragingrob
5th May 2008, 21:50
That guy was a bit of an idiot.

I purposely parked my bike right up against the wooden barrier things to block as little of the path as possible, then he goes and double parks right next to me.

I parked there the other day close to the wood so I wasn't blocking the path and got a note from security to park somewhere else as it's a path.

shingo
5th May 2008, 21:56
I parked there the other day close to the wood so I wasn't blocking the path and got a note from security to park somewhere else as it's a path.

I never got one today considering they were putting stickers on other peoples bikes.

Ragingrob
5th May 2008, 21:58
Yeah it's dumb, just like the parking wardens, each has their own opinion on what deserves a ticket and what's fine. Their bosses need to show them, slowly, what is fine and what is not.

Squiggles
5th May 2008, 23:54
and i've left notes on most of the bikes that've parked there. Same goes for you guys, no parking on the walkway, so anything thats on the footpath side of the wood and not underneath the stairs IS the footpath.

motorbyclist
6th May 2008, 00:19
Wait so where were these bikes parked? What racks?

cellphone service at my place is shite... STILL uploading the photos!

the racks they refer to would be (i assume) the bicycle racks. some smart warden used bicycle stickers on the motorcycles... though doesn't that give us expressed permission to use the "cycle" racks?

motorbyclist
6th May 2008, 01:10
ok, finally got them off the phone and net and back onto the net:first:

basically this is another case of "harmless" spots being deemed unsafe or unsuitable.

if el presedente could now email unsafe and give/receive an explanation that would be great. (i don't think we want me sending another one of my "cruel" emails:innocent:)

that last pic is the "grass" outside engineering that last year i made popular until unsafe decided it was a footpath... possible parking?

motorbyclist
6th May 2008, 01:24
oh and stevo, have you got a set of notes to stick on bikes? there's this one xcooter at engineering that insists on parking between a car and the wall rather than in the bike parking - damage to car and/or scooter are likely and it's often parked in by cars/bikes

though it is getting pretty packed down there...

Magua
6th May 2008, 09:18
ok, finally got them off the phone and net and back onto the net:first:

basically this is another case of "harmless" spots being deemed unsafe or unsuitable.

if el presedente could now email unsafe and give/receive an explanation that would be great. (i don't think we want me sending another one of my "cruel" emails:innocent:)

that last pic is the "grass" outside engineering that last year i made popular until unsafe decided it was a footpath... possible parking?

That's where they're talking about? I don't see the problem.

Swoop
6th May 2008, 11:08
Sounds like a much better option!
I can supply an industrial sized pair of boltcutters (over a metre long) that will defeat chain like cutting through butter with a hot knife!

Squiggles
6th May 2008, 11:35
oh and stevo, have you got a set of notes to stick on bikes?

Nope, busy busy havent got round to it yet :doh:

motorbyclist
6th May 2008, 11:59
Sounds like a much better option!
I can supply an industrial sized pair of boltcutters (over a metre long) that will defeat chain like cutting through butter with a hot knife!

haha yeah

plus i'd rather a chain than have some towie just chuck/drag the bike onto the back of his truck

bomma
6th May 2008, 12:09
just saw a note on big al's white hornet asking that he not park in the areas marked with the large white triangle at the end of the car parks....you know at the base of the stairs that head up into the science area......must be reserved for those new triangle shaped cars that bmw has come out with.....:mellow:

night rider
6th May 2008, 13:42
That's my bike in that spot.
Is just ridiculous.
Some one took the sticker off before i could come back and take a photo.

Ragingrob
6th May 2008, 14:22
Ok well here's where I just got ticketed today, can someone please tell me how I'm in the way?

The other photo is where I got ticketed the other day, well a hand written note anyway :). Fair enough it is a footpath I guess, but today's ticket?!?!?1 :Oi:

I reckon we do what they say, park in the bicycle racks :), now that would be interested haha they're the ones who told us to park there!

Magua
6th May 2008, 17:08
I fail to see what's wrong with where you parked today. I parked on the opposite side of the stairs and didn't receive a ticket. :S

Squiggles
6th May 2008, 18:33
The tzr is parked stupidly, and nish probably shouldnt have parked there. It is footpath there

bomma
6th May 2008, 18:43
That's my bike in that spot.
Is just ridiculous.
Some one took the sticker off before i could come back and take a photo.

dude i was gonna park just in front of your bike when i noticed that you had a "please fuck off" sticker on your seat....i dont see how many cars they could have fit into where you were parked:blink:....i think you may have been stickered coz your bike was pretty close to the driver's door but i dunno

The tzr is parked stupidly, and nish probably shouldnt have parked there. It is footpath there

was parked there all day and didnt get a sticker so im assuming that they dont mind me parking there....process of elimination, park sumwhere and see if you get a sticker, if not then assume that its alright to park there (sensibly of course)

bomma
6th May 2008, 18:47
Ok well here's where I just got ticketed today, can someone please tell me how I'm in the way?

The other photo is where I got ticketed the other day, well a hand written note anyway :). Fair enough it is a footpath I guess, but today's ticket?!?!?1 :Oi:

I reckon we do what they say, park in the bicycle racks :), now that would be interested haha they're the ones who told us to park there!

lol on picture 3!! when i got there this morn twas just the white hornet parked by the car and thats it so i parked on the other side of the wooden bar thing!!! (my bikes in the middle red hornetto) just goes to show ya that bikers stick together :2thumbsup:clap:

shingo
6th May 2008, 18:51
was parked there all day and didnt get a sticker so im assuming that they dont mind me parking there....process of elimination, park sumwhere and see if you get a sticker, if not then assume that its alright to park there (sensibly of course)

The stickers had been placed on the white hornet and rob's bike well before you parked where you did, so my guess is they never bothered coming back. Well, at least the pedantic one distributing the stickers didnt.

night rider
6th May 2008, 18:54
yeah she's a nicen you're one bomma
yeah i thought maybe bout the door but there was tonnes of room for him/her to open it.
Wondering if maybe the people they get to put the stickers out don't really know the real specifics of where we can/ can't park cos i've had no trouble there in the past
Bastards

bomma
6th May 2008, 18:58
The stickers had been placed on the white hornet and rob's bike well before you parked where you did, so my guess is they never bothered coming back. Well, at least the pedantic one distributing the stickers didnt.

like i said process of elimination :bleh:

yeah she's a nicen you're one bomma
yeah i thought maybe bout the door but there was tonnes of room for him/her to open it.
Wondering if maybe the people they get to put the stickers out don't really know the real specifics of where we can/ can't park cos i've had no trouble there in the past
Bastards

cheers man when i saw the white hornet i thought it was big al's (dont know if you know him or not) and i texted him about it but yea its bullshit aye, i cant possibly see how parking there could have caused anybody ANY problems AT ALL!!! its hard to imagine any other university treating its students in this manner, especially ones who are helping to ease congestion in the CBD and reduce air pollution :innocent:

night rider
6th May 2008, 19:15
yeah proper bullshit. Nah i don't know big al. apparently they're stickering bikes parked on that island toward the entrance/exit of the carpark which is just nuts. Yeah i think it is fair enough if it's blocking pedestrian access but ..... i'm gonna stop cos i'm just winding myself up.
And yeah it would help if the stickers used were actually for motorbikes n not pushbikes.

motorbyclist
6th May 2008, 19:22
stevo email the guy!

otherwise ppl will start parking in the bicycle racks! (well really now, if we fit why can't we?)

bomma
6th May 2008, 19:33
stevo email the guy!

otherwise ppl will start parking in the bicycle racks! (well really now, if we fit why can't we?)

lol should just reproduce heaps of those stikers, park in the bicycle racks and leave the stickers on the bikes.....:scooter:

moral of story = be careful what you ask for :nono::shutup:

night rider
6th May 2008, 19:43
sounds like a plan
na i'm just gonna keep parking there.
n keep a set of bolt cutters handy for if they follow through with their threats n hope they don't use wire.
Thought it was confirmed that those two parks where me and ragingrob parked today were good.

bomma
6th May 2008, 19:47
sounds like a plan
n keep a set of bolt cutters handy for if they follow through with their threats n hope they don't use wire.

:lol: wonder how many chains it'll take before they give up :lol:

Ragingrob
6th May 2008, 19:48
sounds like a plan
Thought it was confirmed that those two parks where me and ragingrob parked today were good.

Yeah they are being ridiculous by telling us to move from those spots, spots where nobody or thing would go if we weren't there!

Damn it'd be funny if one day we ALL went and parked in the UniSafe car parks and outside their office down the back of HSB. Or took up all the bike racks. Lol.

Squiggles
6th May 2008, 20:36
We have a sensible use styled agreement with them. We stay out of the flow of foot traffic and stay the fuck away from using the symonds st entrance, then they'll leave us alone.

If you're on the clearly defined footpaths, you're in the way. The little triangle park is ok (Earl confirmed this when i met with him), under the stairs is ok.

I see no issue with the island. Will follow up with that if we get more notices on the bikes parked there

bomma
6th May 2008, 20:43
^ hurray for our el presidente.....HURRAY :clap:

Ragingrob
6th May 2008, 20:44
Well so far we have had notices on bikes parked in the triangle park, under the stairs, and on the island... Maybe Earl should tell his employees the agreement!

bomma
6th May 2008, 20:51
Well so far we have had notices on bikes parked in the triangle park, under the stairs, and on the island... Maybe Earl should tell his employees the agreement!

or we could just put up "Bike Parking" signs up in all the areas that earl reckons its ok to park

night rider
6th May 2008, 21:25
Choice squiggles thats mint.

nzcanadian
12th May 2008, 20:20
Why is no one parking in that car park with the pillar in the middle of it? Seems like a waste of a space since no cars can fit there.

Squiggles
12th May 2008, 21:18
Why is no one parking in that car park with the pillar in the middle of it? Seems like a waste of a space since no cars can fit there.

Describe where it is... is it the one by the gym's back exit?

bomma
13th May 2008, 11:43
Describe where it is... is it the one by the gym's back exit?

lol should start packing up that area with bikes again and chain all the bikes together with heapsa chains...i know ross's chain cant be cut off with bolt cutters :2thumbsup TOW ME NOW BIARCH :2guns:

EDIT: but seriously if that's the area you are referring to then we cant park there coz there are "we will tow your bitch ass" markings everywhere coz teh dean of science thought he was proz0r and fasi-ied with us and pwnd us bikers!!! :spanking: i think squiggles will agree that we gotta bend over an :buggerd: on this one

motorbyclist
13th May 2008, 11:50
they'll just add their chain that can't be removed with bolt cutters :bleh:

our problem is that we aren't entitled to free parking. they don't have to give us anything. so if we keep that in mind, and that auckland parking really is shit for everyone, perhaps we should be a bit more agressive with the council on getting those security bars and additional bike parking installed out on symonds street between the trees, rather than the uni which has to put up with whinging old geriatrics like the dean who had a go at us last year while we go parking in all sorts of imaginative places they don't want us for some arbitrary reason handed to them by the aforementioned whinging geriatrics

in the words of my great uncle, "damn bikies"

motorbyclist
13th May 2008, 11:56
oh, and who's th retard with the black hyosung i saw parked partially blocking the footpath (and by paritially, i mean half of it) last time i was down there.

if there isn't room, you can't park there. sorry we're working on it but every time they go down there for one bike on a footpath or too close to a car door they ticket the lot of us and i doubt the people we communicate two ever actually go down there, but just get given a number of infringing motorcycles and the make assumptions and broad, sweeping generalisations that do us no good.

atleast now we can talk to "them"

squiggles sent that email yet?

bomma
13th May 2008, 12:22
and theres a blue sv parked where night rider was parked when he got ticketed....i can safely say that the sv is DEFINATELY blocking the driver door and it would be a hassle for the driver to get into the car....suggest parking a bit more forward and away from the car door....maybe ill leave a note on the bike

motorbyclist
14th May 2008, 00:54
engineering is well and truly full and just like cp36 we are parking outside the designated area once it has filled up.... guys are also getting parked in pretty badly, and after once car parked too far forward and another paked infront of him, and then a bike parked in the access next to the disabled spot, there was barely a gap wide enough to fit an fxr through to access the building entrance!

so today i posted up a notice at engineering, on either side of the door that you walk through to get in from the parking, outlining why they shouldn't be parked in the disbled parking, explaining how to bypass the new gate, and reminding all that ogg parking is free -plus a warning about bikes being stolen from symonds street. i'm suprised that new cbr600 and the gsxr SRAD have lasted as long as they have!

bomma
14th May 2008, 12:06
i'm suprised that new cbr600 and the gsxr SRAD have lasted as long as they have!

ill have some people that know some people call some people that will take care of this :whistle:

Phurrball
14th May 2008, 12:11
^^ Punctuation bro! 'Tis not clear what the people are calling and doing to each other...:blink: (Did you use it all up in your AU written work?)

I'll report you to Hitcher if you're not careful.:blink:

bomma
14th May 2008, 12:25
^^ punctuations for pucces real men say it how it is for real

my brains not getting any easier to manage with all these damn assignments lucky for me theres the ol spell check and grammar check on microsoft word but at least my speeling aint gone to da sheets....try and make sense of that wahahaha :devil2:

Phurrball
14th May 2008, 12:31
Rofl - was asking for that I guess. Every subforum must have its pedant, and I guess I just outed myself as more than just asexual ;)

That was more comprehensible that the preceding submission though.

My brain hurts too. Goddamn school work...:mad:

Watch your back though, BDOTGNZA will get you when you least expect it :devil2:

nzcanadian
14th May 2008, 15:30
Was trying to park in the internal science quad carpark at 1pm today and was stopped by a security guard at the barrier arm saying that "this is a staff only carpark" and that I would have to park on Symonds street.

Bummer.

Ragingrob
14th May 2008, 15:42
Was trying to park in the internal science quad carpark at 1pm today and was stopped by a security guard at the barrier arm saying that "this is a staff only carpark" and that I would have to park on Symonds street.

Bummer.

Really? You've gotta enter via the footpath around the barrier as you need a swipe card to use the barrier, did you know this?

Don't worry about the security guards, for some reason their boss hasn't filled them in on the talk El Presidente and he had.

nzcanadian
14th May 2008, 15:51
I went around the barrier arm on the footpath like a good biker. There was a guard standing at this point telling me and a green saki to get out.

By the way, I'm referring to the unused car park in the science quad parking lot, in the middle island, on the gym side. It has a pillar in the middle of it so no cars and there is room for at least a couple of bikes.

Has anyone else been told not to park in that parking lot any more?

Squiggles
14th May 2008, 16:53
Havent been told not to park there, if it happens again, give me a txt on 0212685528 , and ill come down there (unless im in a class). Just ignore them and go park in the marked bays would be the best solution.

Magua
14th May 2008, 17:42
Happened to me and someone on a tzr this morning.

Ragingrob
14th May 2008, 17:49
Happened to me and someone on a tzr this morning.

So they stopped you from even getting into the car park??

Magua
14th May 2008, 18:03
Nope. I parked up and then the guard walked over to me and asked me if I was a student or a staff member.

Ragingrob
14th May 2008, 18:33
Nope. I parked up and then the guard walked over to me and asked me if I was a student or a staff member.

And then asked you to leave?

Magua
14th May 2008, 18:44
Yep. "This carpark is only for staff, please leave". Some other staff members walked past and said "You're a brave man, students can park there" to the security guard.

motorbyclist
14th May 2008, 23:27
stephen email them!

otherwise i will and we both know what my emails can be like

bomma
16th May 2008, 00:04
stephen email them!

otherwise i will and we both know what my emails can be like

no stevo dont!! i wanna see a good ol fashioned "what the fuck mate" style email directed at those punks:clap:

GO ANDY!!! YAAAY!!! :yes::2thumbsup

simonw
26th May 2008, 04:04
eek.. unfortunately i would be that idiot :S i had only been meaning to stop for about 20mins to catch up with a mate in the carpark but got dragged off to do something else, This is the first time i have seen this forum and will not be doing it again :)

motorbyclist
26th May 2008, 21:42
eek.. unfortunately i would be that idiot :S i had only been meaning to stop for about 20mins to catch up with a mate in the carpark but got dragged off to do something else, This is the first time i have seen this forum and will not be doing it again :)

good on ya

you a club member? either way come to the chiller on friday and say hi:)

simonw
27th May 2008, 01:49
i am not at uni this semester so haven't joined the club and haven't actually seen any of the stands for it before, if i can i will head up on friday :)

Hanne
5th June 2008, 21:23
i am not at uni this semester so haven't joined the club and haven't actually seen any of the stands for it before, if i can i will head up on friday :)

If you are wanting to join and get emails etc just PM Squiggles with your full name, email address, he will add you and we can grab the dolalr off you at a chiller/ ride sometime :niceone:

motorbyclist
6th June 2008, 01:31
lol on saturday i saw a scooter parked outside engineering entrance, 3rd floor by the underpass

no number plate

middle of footpath

unisafe officer standing next to it figuring out what to do

considering there's a perfectly good staircase to park behind/under just a few metres away from that park, it looked pretty stupid from where i was standing

klyong82
6th June 2008, 09:21
lol on saturday i saw a scooter parked outside engineering entrance, 3rd floor by the underpass

no number plate

middle of footpath

considering there's a perfectly good staircase to park behind/under just a few metres away from that park, it looked pretty stupid from where i was standing

Taking the number plate away ...hmmm...now that's a goood idea...

bomma
6th June 2008, 11:20
ROLF "try and ticket me now biaaarch!!!"

motorbyclist
7th June 2008, 12:07
oh did for get to mention the officer using his radio/cellphone and next time i looked the scooter was gone?

either owner popped in for 15 minutes or got towed... or stolen

and to whoever thought it funny to stick their orange parking sticker on my tank: upon finding that it wouldn't come off and left the backing/adhesives behind my exact words were "you fucking cunt what the fuck did you think you were doing" - why my bike of all bikes? why on the paint? why do this at all? having the shiniest paint does not mean "put stickers on me". asshole.

i was properly parked within the painted zone, had not parked anyone in, and hadn't parked sideways like half the retards down there do

2wheeljunkie
8th June 2008, 11:02

no number plate

middle of footpath

i happen to know that scooter and its owner..a mate gave it to him for free cause he cudnt start it but the guy found it was an electrical fault and got it done straightaway..soo he scored himself a free scooter..hope its not stolen..:pinch:..

bomma
13th June 2008, 15:54
hey hanne,
thanks for the note you left on my bike, and as much as i respect and like you as a person, i havnt seen any bikes parked in that area asked to be moved by the uni guys so i shall continue to park in that spot if the other area is full. somehow, i doubt that bikes parked in an area that the uni obviously doesnt mind bikes parking in will jeopardise the future of parking for all bikers.....nice gesture though

Squiggles
13th June 2008, 20:50
somehow, i doubt that bikes parked in an area that the uni obviously doesnt mind bikes parking in will jeopardise the future of parking for all bikers.....nice gesture though

So were you parked on the footpath or not? that is what they do mind after all ;)

bomma
14th June 2008, 14:52
So were you parked on the footpath or not?

nope wasnt parked on the foot path, was parked next to a carpark :innocent:

2wheeljunkie
15th June 2008, 09:57
nope wasnt parked on the foot path, was parked next to a carpark :innocent:

bahahahaha....:shifty:

chocobo_ff
15th June 2008, 15:30
Hey guys, I'm new here so a bit of patience would be greatly appreciated if I ask some stupid questions :) Been looking around for a bike so I can cut down on my traveling cost to uni, but anyway, that's for another thread... have a quick question about where I can park near the Architecture building:

I took a walk around the architecture carpark last week, and was wondering if it's possible to park there (please see first pic, the area marked red in the link below - I think that's the place I was at, my sense of direction is horrible!).

To get there, I have to get past a barrier, which is marked in blue in the map, and the second photo attached is the barrier.

Lastly, the place I would like to park if I'm allowed in the last photo.

There is a steel rack type thing that I can chain my (future) bike to, and I think if I park perpendicular to how the car parks, I should be able to leave plenty of room for people to walk...? Any comments/suggestions/etc are much appreciated!! Thanks :)

Squiggles
15th June 2008, 15:39
Woops, i didnt reply to your pm. I had a look at where you're talking about, should be sweetas there i reckon, it is the spot that i meant to point out on the picture

chocobo_ff
15th June 2008, 15:42
Woops, i didnt reply to your pm. I had a look at where you're talking about, should be sweetas there i reckon, it is the spot that i meant to point out on the picture

Cool thanks Squiggles, yeah didn't want to bother you with another PM that's why I posted it here... now I just need to get a bike and something to chain the bike to the rack, and I'll be all set to go :D

bomma
15th June 2008, 15:47
hey mate we (the club) are more than happy for you to bother squiggles all you want!!! let us know when you get a bike or if ya need help checking out bikes etc and im sure myself or any of the other members will be more than keen to go with ya!!!

happy hunting :)

chocobo_ff
15th June 2008, 15:52
hey mate we (the club) are more than happy for you to bother squiggles all you want!!! let us know when you get a bike or if ya need help checking out bikes etc and im sure myself or any of the other members will be more than keen to go with ya!!!

happy hunting :)

Sweet, I'll keep that in mind next time I have a bike-related problem then :D

Phurrball
24th July 2008, 10:41
Another victory is ours!!!

Seemingly, common sense has prevailed, and the bike and scooter parking in the law school car park that was de facto is now de jure.

Yay! Arrived back this senester to freshly painted parks x3, one of which was not in use previously by bikes.

Two of these parks are under cover even!:Punk::scooter:

Soooo - if you have classes down this way, use these parks!

("HOT TIP" go around the barrier on the right on the way in, but the barrier will open for you on the way out if you go up to it slowly - hurrah for 'open sesamie')

Squiggles
24th July 2008, 16:00
Woot, i was in ogg the other day, and there were plenty parked in there, a few parking in the other parks outside the compsci building as well

shingo
29th July 2008, 18:49
Parked in OGG today, way better than the parking under the quad.

Squiggles, has there been any progress on getting lockers near that parking?

I would definitely park in OGG if there were lockers near by.

Squiggles
29th July 2008, 21:10
Squiggles, has there been any progress on getting lockers near that parking?

I would definitely park in OGG if there were lockers near by.

Not yet, might go see the prez fer a start, then the peeps at the ogg after that

Ragingrob
30th July 2008, 18:23
+1 for OGG lockers!

Magua
6th August 2008, 15:38
They're at it again with the "move your cycle" stickers. :angry2:

Rob's bike was given an orange warning sticker even though he's not on the footpath, he's in a park. :S My bike is not in the way at all, not blocking the pedestrian crossing or access to the stairs.

I thought we cleared this up last semester?

bomma
6th August 2008, 16:05

Rob's bike was given an orange warning sticker even though he's not on the footpath, he's in a park. :S My bike is not in the way at all, not blocking the pedestrian crossing or access to the stairs.

hey my bike's in that pic (the red hornet) and i didnt have a sticker on my bike.....maybe someone removed it??

Ragingrob
6th August 2008, 17:27

Yeah talk about :wanker:

It was only last semester that Squiggles and the chief had a chat regards parking underground and the spot I parked in was a definite all good park as long as you're not obstructing the car.

Last semester I also got a sticker in the place that you parked today Magua (sorry what's your name?), it's just bullshit, that park is in no way possibly inconveniencing anyone.

Oh well, guess we'd better park our bikes in the BICYCLE racks sometime as the warning instructs us to :eek:

Real_Wolf
6th August 2008, 17:44
lol, ride it onto the bit outside the physics building, all the way along past teh gym on the right, to the cycle rack, and chain it up. When they post that message you call and say "But my bike IS on the bike rack"

Anyway, I've found a good place to park my XS that no one seems to take, since people keep taking the spot by the stairs (albeit, I wasn't first to park there)

shingo
6th August 2008, 17:58
They even stickered the bikes on the island by the entrance to the carpark.

I've actually seen a scooter using the cycle racks up by the science student resource centre. I bet they'd love it if we all locked ours bikes to the rack up there and blocked half the walkway.

motorbyclist
6th August 2008, 23:15
for the record, footpaths are footpaths, so even if a normal person could still walk on them we still can't park half on them. just think of the disabled, or the poor guy trying to get to his lecture on time but there's three obese whales waddling along infront at a fucking snails pace blocking traffic in all directions, who then stop in a doorway and generally frustrate all those around you.

/rant

but yeah, we can't semi block paths; so while rob was in the right, the three other bikes weren't, and as such a unisafe minion came down and ticketed the lot of us. clearly they aren't too smart at unsafe, but if we want to keep the parking we have we need to play by the rules

would like to see what it takes to get keycard acess to that bike cage though:shifty:

Squiggles
6th August 2008, 23:17
They'll be getting shitty at the large number of people using the symonds street entrance... and at bikes parked on the footpath like the 3 in the picture, at least get as close to the blocks as possible and lean over them instead of over the footpath more...

the triangle park is fine, as is next to the stairs, the footpath was never okay'd :)

Magua
6th August 2008, 23:21
Sweet. I'll continue to park there then. _b

shingo
6th August 2008, 23:53
They'll be getting shitty at the large number of people using the symonds street entrance...

You may know this already but the the people who ride that R6 and vt250 in the pic andrew took both use the symonds street entrance, so you could write them a nicely friendly note telling them off.

xwhatsit
7th August 2008, 00:13
They'll be getting shitty at the large number of people using the symonds street entrance...
Ah, I haven't seen anybody else do it yet, but I had a word to a guy on a moped who came screaming down the walkway then popped in to get his books from his locker. Thought I was telling him off :laugh: I had to explain that I was nobody important, but that we were getting a telling off last semester for coming down there.

We don't park down there any more, why do people come that way? Isn't it much shorter to go through the carpark (that being where people are trying to get to?).

Also, while I'm here, I thought I'd mention this; you guys know the little bit of parking you can get to by riding down the stairs (go past the under-quad parking next to the cages, turn right)? There's a shit-load of old desks and crap dumped in the motorcycle parking bit. They've moved some now but it's still taking up a fair bit of space, not much room once three mopeds are parked in there. The `CYCLE PARKING' adjacent to this bit is never used. Who should I email to check if it's necessary to use parking spaces as storage areas for old furniture?

Real_Wolf
7th August 2008, 00:42
yeah, i saw that area, but I thought hmm, 2 mopends that CAN"T PARK always park there, taking up a massive amount of space, and its in a nice dreary place that looks dodgy.

motorbyclist
7th August 2008, 01:04
You may know this already but the the people who ride that R6 and vt250 in the pic andrew took both use the symonds street entrance, so you could write them a nicely friendly note telling them off.

i have "told off" a few guys so far, or rather explained the situation, so tell me when they go through and i'll see if i can get to them

i dont like notes as i think bikers respond better to a face-to-face explanation of why they should bother going the 'proper' way, and these guys clearly can't read anyway

Also, while I'm here, I thought I'd mention this; you guys know the little bit of parking you can get to by riding down the stairs (go past the under-quad parking next to the cages, turn right)?

you can get there from the road without battling stairs btw, alot of bikes park around in that area within the science buildings (including a brand new blue r6:drool:)

xwhatsit
7th August 2008, 01:09
you can get there from the road without battling stairs btw, alot of bikes park around in that area within the science buildings (including a brand new blue r6:drool:)
But the stairs are so much fun!

bikr003
7th August 2008, 14:47
im sure they could arrange for more parking down there as well, cos if i come in after 9.30 its hard to find a park there used to be a bin near the enterance to the back lockers and that has been moved, so could we park there?? :2thumbsup

Real_Wolf
12th August 2008, 19:56
New Parking For CP 36 (Outside Physics Building)

Just got talked to by a guy from unisafe, who said these places were fine. Might still want Squig to go talk to them about it and make these official, but you shouldn't have a problem parking here.

First is up against the left wall, this one I'm less sure about, it seems to be partially used for bins, but theres alot of space, if squig wants to chat to them about it. A unisafe guy did point it out to me
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/Real_Wolf/DSC00387.jpg

Second is a nice gap that a car can't park in (You can see on the right is a pole, it blocks them). Its about halfway down on the left hand section of the middle car parks
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/Real_Wolf/DSC00386.jpg

This one you can see the wall for the first bit, and the second bit, a bit better
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/Real_Wolf/DSC00388.jpg

Squiggles
12th August 2008, 21:04
ill take another look at the wall, i'd be a bit concerned about backing cars, but the other two spots are good, just keep clear of the car doors

Real_Wolf
13th August 2008, 00:20
the spots are the same, its just from a different perspective, but there are other areas that are now "free" if you look.

The one against the wall, if you look while in there, they'd have to back quite far to hit you, though I suppose its possible.

Difficult to show perspective with a puny phone camera, but the wall has about a car space before the 'road' bit which itself is a car length wide

Squiggles
18th August 2008, 20:24
For AUT Students: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=79800

Squiggles
22nd October 2008, 21:49
I think i'll have to split this thread up/create a new one

Having met Robert (Head of Carparking) today, theres a shite load of parking (new) arising for us to use. All 5 levels of OGG have copious amounts, there is also a new stretch behind architecture. Up at grafton several places have been also been marked out. Many of the new spots will soon be acquiring bars to chain bikes to.

I've also spoken to Building services in OGG, if we can put together a good proposal for the installation of lockers in OGG, then theres a very good chance it'll happen... More to come in the next club newsletter :wari:

shingo
22nd October 2008, 22:32
Nice work Mr President.

To bad i wont be around next year to take advantage of any of the developments.

Magua
23rd October 2008, 17:34
Viva el presidente!

Real_Wolf
25th October 2008, 13:22
You keep going on about these 'club newsletters', but i have never seen the results.

Either way, good job. Any word on them labelling more of the 'spaces' outside the physics building as actual parking?

Ragingrob
25th October 2008, 13:24
You keep going on about these 'club newsletters', but i have never seen the results.

Either way, good job. Any word on them labelling more of the 'spaces' outside the physics building as actual parking?

They're sent to our emails. Maybe your email ain't on the list.

motorbyclist
25th October 2008, 18:14
and he's usually a week or two late with them... or i've been dropped off the list again...

Slyer
25th October 2008, 18:19
Get me on the fuggin list.

Squiggles
25th October 2008, 21:43
and he's usually a week or two late with them... or i've been dropped off the list again...

you never get them, even when i triple check your email :eek:

Real_Wolf
26th October 2008, 10:44
:P, get me on the list too then, haven't recieved one ever

twinkle
28th October 2008, 16:58
still to receive my first club newsletter :clap: c'mon steve :bleh:

Ragingrob
28th October 2008, 19:46
Here I am thinking that maybe I have a special place in Stevos heart.

shingo
28th October 2008, 20:52
Sorry to dissapoint you Rob but i've been getting them too.

Ragingrob
28th October 2008, 20:59
Bastard! He said he'd stopped dreaming about you :weep:

shingo
28th October 2008, 21:56
Bastard! He said he'd stopped dreaming about you :weep:

Wait, what?

Hanne
30th October 2008, 20:48
^^And here we go off on another Honda riders' lovin' rant....

Danae
11th March 2009, 21:13
Hum, it's my first year so I still have to figure out where all these places are. xD I come up Grafton Rd from where I live so I guess I'm parking by engineering. Oh, can anyone tell me if parking in the O.G.G building is free? I saw that you have to get a ticket by the arm thing so I didn't go in.

Magua
11th March 2009, 21:21
OGG is free, just ride past the barrier arm and park anywhere that's labelled motorcycle parking. There's plenty of it.

Danae
11th March 2009, 21:24
Haha, okay! Thanks much! I have Bio in the centennial first so that'd be an excellent place to park.

Slyer
11th March 2009, 21:25
Hum, it's my first year so I still have to figure out where all these places are. xD I come up Grafton Rd from where I live so I guess I'm parking by engineering. Oh, can anyone tell me if parking in the O.G.G building is free? I saw that you have to get a ticket by the arm thing so I didn't go in.
Another uni newbie! Coming to the chiller? :bleh:

Danae
11th March 2009, 21:45
Most definitely. :B I finish at three on Fridays.

Ixion
11th March 2009, 21:54
Another uni newbie! Coming to the chiller? :bleh:

So where is it this Friday ? Strata? THe chiller thread has degenerated into a squabble about lockers.

Slyer
11th March 2009, 21:59
Strata most likely I'm guessing.
But argh, I won't be there this week either, work finishing at 7.

SARGE
11th March 2009, 22:37
my wife works at 76 .. used to park behind her office .. now they have to park at the Owen G building ..i say all you guys need to park there one morning .. pack them in early and take up every space available and a few more as a protest..

or just Animal House it and ride them into your offices, classrooms etc...

motorbyclist
11th March 2009, 22:43
or just Animal House it and ride them into your offices, classrooms etc...

we'd have to make sure that co-incides with 'bring your two stroke' day:innocent:

i've always wanted to ride a pocket rocket around uni, in the lifts etc

So where is it this Friday ? Strata? THe chiller thread has degenerated into a squabble about lockers.

if in doubt, i do make sure the first post of the chiller thread is up to date with the latest plans

SARGE
11th March 2009, 22:46
we'd have to make sure that co-incides with 'bring your two stroke' day:innocent:

i've always wanted to ride a pocket rocket around uni, in the lifts etc

let me know .. i'll make sure the FJ is available.. that should shake some tiles loose in the halls of learning

Ixion
11th March 2009, 22:50
We used to do that. Every capping day, there'd be a mass bike ride, invade the uni buildings and schools. The stairs in the clock tower were an irresitable challenge, if they hadnt locke dthe doors. Students nowadays are so boringly mature.

motorbyclist
11th March 2009, 22:57
on a lighter note, i see today that the uni has re-vamped their "don't park on a footpath, or else" notices

they are no longer adhesive - attached to my tank with a soft sticky tape that left no residue
they have instructions to ride around the barrier arms at ogg
they give a contact number and name for any queries

Real_Wolf
11th March 2009, 23:16
heh, yeah, some of the guys were talking about how they got those on their bikes again despite being parked fine.

Ironically, walked past the bikes in cp36 when helping hanne with the table, and there was a nice line of bikes on the walkway where we are definetely not allowed, yet no messages on them. Think we need to make our own message to send to bikers who don't know of us to tell them to park properly

Danae
12th March 2009, 17:55
on a lighter note, i see today that the uni has re-vamped their "don't park on a footpath, or else" notices

they are no longer adhesive - attached to my tank with a soft sticky tape that left no residue
they have instructions to ride around the barrier arms at ogg
they give a contact number and name for any queries
I got the exact same message in the OGG building, but it was my first time in there. I parked beside this motorbike but I got the notice anyways.

I like the idea of blocking up the parking building, good fun! and I want to ride my scooter around uni, it can't do much damage. Hawhaw.

Ragingrob
12th March 2009, 18:09
Shit talk about parking on footpath today. About 4 or 5 bikes parked along the footpath under science beside stairs today.

xwhatsit
13th March 2009, 10:39
We used to do that. Every capping day, there'd be a mass bike ride, invade the uni buildings and schools. The stairs in the clock tower were an irresitable challenge, if they hadnt locke dthe doors. Students nowadays are so boringly mature.
Awww shit that sounds awesome. It's my last semester, we should all cause a ruckus!

I don't think all those ghey GPX things with 16" front wheels will make any stairs. More manly bikes like Steve's DR650 and my not-gay-at-all RS could do it!

Hey -- one useful thing about it being 80 years since you were at uni -- they've got wheelchair ramps everywhere now :buggerd:

gavjn
14th March 2009, 01:38
omfg pit bikes around uni wud b WAYYY to fun... full gear and helmet etc... im keen... il bring mine in lol

Ragingrob
16th March 2009, 13:23
Yes, if you do completely park me in, your scooter will be moved. Thanks for wasting my time.

:angry2:

Real_Wolf
16th March 2009, 17:53
what a stupid scooter rider. So many bikes parking on the footpath, we need to stop the people parking there before the unisafe gets annoyed again

macros87
16th March 2009, 17:59
what a stupid scooter rider. So many bikes parking on the footpath, we need to stop the people parking there before the unisafe gets annoyed again

what happened last time they got anoyed?

Ragingrob
16th March 2009, 19:17
what happened last time they got anoyed?

They put stickers on our motorbikes saying that next time we'd better park in the cycle racks provided. :laugh:

Real_Wolf
16th March 2009, 20:54
which we then contemplated doing.

Nah, the problem is, unisafe are really stupid and judge all motorbikes as being in this club (better than when they didn't associate any with the club), and any infringements of motorbikes not following rules we get some shtick for.

And since its a 'privilege' to park in cp36, they would revoke it should it consistently happen

Danae
16th March 2009, 22:28
Hm. I parked in the same place I did yesterday and I got a nice little notice. I made sure that the car opposite could get out and any other motorbikes could fit in as well but I still got a warning. It didn't have any "NO PARKING" signs or paint anywhere. Tomorrow I'm going to park under the science building...or try to. I have to be there early so I might get a park.

motorbyclist
16th March 2009, 22:46
Yes, if you do completely park me in, your scooter will be moved. Thanks for wasting my time.

:angry2:

lol you should see the engineering parking - you park on the assumption that you'll have to move one or more scooters and maybe even a bike when time comes to get out

I just explain the situation and suggest where they could/should park, in person.

Hm. I parked in the same place I did yesterday and I got a nice little notice. I made sure that the car opposite could get out and any other motorbikes could fit in as well but I still got a warning. It didn't have any "NO PARKING" signs or paint anywhere. Tomorrow I'm going to park under the science building...or try to. I have to be there early so I might get a park.

the problem is the unisafe drones have no common sense. if ONE person parks like a retard, EVERYONE gets a notice, even if you're parked in a perfectly unobtrusive and reasonable place

motorbyclist
16th March 2009, 22:53
The pile of rocks in the engineering bike parking has been brought to the attention of the engineering faculty. hopefully they might find out who left it there and why it's been there so long, and then maybe even move towards removing it....

on the other hand, my shed driveway could use some fresh gravel....

Also, I have received word that a unisafe security guard found a scooter or two "pushed" over and spilling oil. anyone know more specific details?

finally, when parking in ogg this morning, i noticed a dodgy looking guy scoping out vehicles, wearing a navy blue jacket with "SECURITY" emblazoned across the back in white. I made the smart move and parked next to a bike worth at least three times more than mine... either this was a genuine unisafe officer, or a clever crook....

i wonder if anyone would care that the workers removing the engineering gravel have "look out for motorbikes" on their fluoro jackets.....

Danae
16th March 2009, 23:16
Someone stole my Kill Kenny award so I stole it back. XD

Do you reckon they even get paid for sticking little pieces of paper on motorcycles/scooters? Sigh.

There should be some sort of written motorcycle parking etiquette...but I reckon only people in the SMC would see it.

Real_Wolf
17th March 2009, 08:22
yeah, the problem is the 'labelled' parking is so insignificant theres no way it could hold all the parking, and yet theres actually lots of parking available its just not labelled.

motorbyclist
20th March 2009, 13:26
pile of rocks now removed! :woohoo:

macros87
20th March 2009, 14:38
The pile of rocks in the engineering bike parking has been brought to the attention of the engineering faculty. hopefully they might find out who left it there and why it's been there so long, and then maybe even move towards removing it....

on the other hand, my shed driveway could use some fresh gravel....

Also, I have received word that a unisafe security guard found a scooter or two "pushed" over and spilling oil. anyone know more specific details?

finally, when parking in ogg this morning, i noticed a dodgy looking guy scoping out vehicles, wearing a navy blue jacket with "SECURITY" emblazoned across the back in white. I made the smart move and parked next to a bike worth at least three times more than mine... either this was a genuine unisafe officer, or a clever crook....

i wonder if anyone would care that the workers removing the engineering gravel have "look out for motorbikes" on their fluoro jackets.....

yeah i know what you mean, no chain or disk lock has ever made me feel as safe about my bike as parking it nxt to that black daytona 675.. i know for a fact mine will still b there if a bikes stolen :)