PDA

View Full Version : vtr250 funny noise

retep130
14th March 2008, 20:37
So I bought this vtr250, 2000 model with 35,000km's, seems all good...

except I dont think its ever had a service, so i've replaced the coolant, the oil and oil filter, spark plugs, fork seals, reset tappets, tensioned & oiled chain, replaced the front caliper(leaked from somewhere), disk and pads and the rear shock

except it makes a funny noise(hard to explain, like most noises from an engine haha) when running in the front bank, I read something about the camchain tensioner making some noise which needs to be fixed? it seemed to appear after I changed the oil - of which i think was previously super rarely changed

any thoughts?

MSTRS
15th March 2008, 08:47
Camchains are normally slated for replacement around 45000, I think. The tensioners are automatic and should not need adjustment. If the bike was poorly maintained, you may be up for early replacement....can be very expensive. But worse if it's needed and you don't do it.
Get the bike checked by a mechanic, for peace of mind. Perhaps a tensioner has failed?

retep130
15th March 2008, 09:02
the bike has the power I would expect of it which would lead me to believe that the tensioner is still working(possibly poorly though), but i'm going to take it to botany honda and see if they know any better

McJim
15th March 2008, 09:43
Worn cam chains won't affect the power delivery....untill they fail at which point you'll have a piston and some valves getting to know each other REAL well which in turn will cause you to get to know your bank manager REAL well too.

Could it be the electric fan? (VTR250 has an electric fan behind the radiator from memory)

retep130
15th March 2008, 10:20
i went to drive it out to botany honda but turned back half way there as the noise just didnt sound nice

im sure it has to be something within the 'engine' part of the bike, as I can hear the noise when im driving along and when I pull the clutch in and the revs drop the noise goes away

another problem im having is finding neutral, i heard stories about how it can be hard but when the bike is running normally it is quite easy to get it. But when you stall the motor, it becomes neigh on impossible to find the fucker, and the bike wont turn on unless in neutral - try im the middle of an intersection and you cant start the bike...

MSTRS
15th March 2008, 10:30
...and the bike wont turn on unless in neutral ...

That's a plug connection inside the crankcase which can be disconnected if you want. Much like a sidestand cutout.
Definitely sounds like a major/mechanic job. Do not use the bike. Get it trailered to the shop. Prepare for a wallet raping.

retep130
15th March 2008, 10:55
yeah it might be looking that way, cam tensioner circa 350-400 per bank, fucks sake

could possibly just be the tensioner slipper?

MSTRS
15th March 2008, 11:00
If that is what you have been quoted for cam tensioner, either you need to shop around or you have misunderstood and that includes a chain as well. VTR's have two chains each with their own tensioner and a complete refit should be in the nature of $800..

Squiggles
16th March 2008, 16:34
Fark, Hope you're both talking about parts + fitting

Mrs got a tensioner and chain from red baron for her zzr, cost just over $200 for them both

MSTRS
16th March 2008, 16:52
V twins may have one loooong chain or a separate one for each cylinder. VTR250 is 'similar' to a Spada. Doing a replacement on that is not a job for the home mechanic. Hell, real mechanics often won't touch them.

retep130
16th March 2008, 16:53
is Botany Honda the best people to go to for hondas?

I'll ask them when they ring me back for the pricing, the guy just thought that it would cost around $400 but he couldnt do the check until monday

I think I will get a bike mechanic to do it

retep130
16th March 2008, 20:34
I was just thinking, in regards to the neutral stalling problem, when I have stalled it, it still lets me choose any gear whereas normally(bike not turned on) it only lets me go to 1st neutral and 2nd

does that mean anything or are they all like that?

roadracingoldfart
16th March 2008, 21:15
The darling little VT 250s have a few "ahemm" issues that occur to them.
get a competant mechanic to look at it for you and my pick is the tensioner is locked in the backed of setting due to poor oil in the past.
They are a nasty motor to work on for some jobs.
Sorry.... i meant to say they are a lovely bike with very few problems inbuilt.
:bye: Paul.

TripleZee Dyno
17th March 2008, 09:56
So I bought this vtr250, 2000 model with 35,000km's, seems all good...

except I dont think its ever had a service, so i've replaced the coolant, the oil and oil filter, spark plugs, fork seals, reset tappets, tensioned & oiled chain, replaced the front caliper(leaked from somewhere), disk and pads and the rear shock

except it makes a funny noise(hard to explain, like most noises from an engine haha) when running in the front bank, I read something about the camchain tensioner making some noise which needs to be fixed? it seemed to appear after I changed the oil - of which i think was previously super rarely changed

any thoughts?
It all happened after you serviced it?
maybe recheck your tappet settings and whatever else you may have touched
cheers

retep130
17th March 2008, 15:11
I think it may have something to do with the old oil holding stuff together, as often happens

have been quoted $506.50 for each new tensioner and approx $200-300 for installation - plus maybe need a new slipper for $77, comes to approx $800 per side..............

why does no one talk about the immense prices of this shit

But im going to take it into botany honda and maybe something else is out of whack which will cost me less to fix:pinch:

MSTRS
17th March 2008, 16:03
Seriously, if that is what you've been quoted, then you need a second/third opinion. Shop around. Do not go straight to BH since it would appear they gave you that price.

retep130
17th March 2008, 19:43
cyclespot gave me the exact same price for the tensioner