PDA

View Full Version : BMW F800 crisis

Banesto John
14th March 2008, 21:04
If there was a way to curl up and die without disadvantaging my p[partner, I'd do it.

A friend and I are due to head away tomorrow morning (Sat 15 March) for our inaugural South Island short tour. Wanaka and back in 2 days, via the West Coast.

As part of pre trip checks, I was checking my oil about 30 minutes ago. I screwed the dip stick out, cleaned it off then screwed it back in, and on doing so I heard a small click. Suspicious, I screwed it out again, and found that the bottom 20 mm or so had broken off inside the crank case.

Right, end of trip we have been planning for quite a while.

If any of you have ideas, please let me have them. I have very little mechanical know how, but I'd really like to sort this. I have already drained the oil, but the piece of plastic isn't in it. It can only be up in the crank case.

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!

retep130
14th March 2008, 21:15
the dipstick goes into the sump? you cant just take the sump off? i know nothing about bmws though

SixPackBack
14th March 2008, 21:18
First thing to do is get a strong light source and small mirror. Can you see the part through either the filler hole or sump plug hole? Is it possible to take a cover off to further investigate finding the part? alternatively sharpen the end of some #8 wire down to 1mm or less, heat it till red hot and try using it to 'stick' the part to [essentially a blind process]. long tweezers?
A few ideas-good luck!

Ixion
14th March 2008, 21:22
Why would the dip stick break ? Has it fouled something? In which case it may be still caught in the "something".

What Mr SPB said. If you can manage to see or feel it, you can probably extract it. Alternatively try flushing lots of diesel through the engine to try and wash it out (and flush some oil to waste afterward of course)

Banesto John
14th March 2008, 21:23
Thanks Fellas. I've seen my expensive fu***** BMW crippled by a 20 mm piece of fu***** nylon.

Nope can't see the offender through either the top opening or the bottom opening.

Great thoughts though.

Nil other covers I'm prepared to take off to solve the problem either. I don't have the special tools BMW says I have to use to remove their poxy bolts.

Motu
14th March 2008, 21:25
So a big piece of plastic is going to go through the gauze pickup screen,through the pump and oil filter and stuff up the engine? Even if it gets biffed around by a big metal conrod....I don't think it would do much damage.I'd just leave it there....but then I don't invest that sort of money in a bike.

Taz
14th March 2008, 21:25
Remove the clutch cover and find the dipstick piece refit clutch cover. When removing do so gently as as to not break the gasket.

Ixion
14th March 2008, 21:32
OK. Looking at the fiche (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0216&mospid=49427&btnr=11_4007&hg=11&fg=10)(which hopefully is a relevant model) it looks like the dipstick screws into what we would once have called the chaincase outer cover. So it DOESN'T go into the depths of the crankcase itself. So, even if you are not game to remove the outer cover yourself, it should be a quick and relatively cheap job for a BMW shop to remove the outer cover, retrieve th ebroken bit and reassemble

Ixion
14th March 2008, 21:34
So a big piece of plastic is going to go through the gauze pickup screen,through the pump and oil filter and stuff up the engine? Even if it gets biffed around by a big metal conrod....I don't think it would do much damage.I'd just leave it there....but then I don't invest that sort of money in a bike.

Risk might tbe getting jammed in the primary drive, or transmission. Doubt it would get into the main engine lube system. But I think these BMWs (unlike the earlier ones) are like the Japs and have a common oil sump for everything (Don't get me started about what a STUPID idea that is BTW)

Banesto John
14th March 2008, 21:43
Thanks for all the help you are providing.

I am removing the screws that hold the clutch cover on.

I am concerned that I will need some special tool to reassemble it? Will I be confronted with a whole pile of things that will explode apart if I take the cover off?

Thanks again.

Banesto John
14th March 2008, 21:56
The screws to hold the clutch cover are out. The cover is loose, but I can't remove it completely due to a cross member that secures the fairing. Of course, I don't have the tool to remove the cross member.

I am trying to see deeper into the thing to spot the offending piece.

I am worried about the linkage for the brake lever, it goes in through the clutch cover, and it's now very loose.

Anyway, wish me luck.

Ixion
14th March 2008, 21:58
One can never tell with BMWs. They are a law unto themselves. But I would think it unlikely. Usually that cover is just a cover. The fiche appears to show thta the cover mounts the clutch release mechanism. Take very careful note of how that comes off, and watch for any little balls or small rods that may fall out. It actually looks quite a simple design. Just take it very slowly and take VERY careful note of how everything comes off. (A digital camera is a great idea) The bolts are standard torx bolts according to the fiche.

Motu
14th March 2008, 22:13
Risk might tbe getting jammed in the primary drive, or transmission. Doubt it would get into the main engine lube system. But I think these BMWs (unlike the earlier ones) are like the Japs and have a common oil sump for everything (Don't get me started about what a STUPID idea that is BTW)

Yeah,I wouldn't be too happy about it getting into the primary side.....I kinda thought,BMW....like y'know - BMW.

Banesto John
14th March 2008, 22:19
Right, progress.

The cover came off, only the gear linkage and clutch adjuster thingy were an issue.

The little piece of plastic was waiting for me, and is now in the hall of bad things.

I'm about to start putting the thing back together. Send me your addresses and you might just get a surprise. You prefer lager or draught?

Anyway, maybe I'll wait until after running the thing before counting the chickens.

This is the most mechanical thing I have ever had to do, so thanks for your imput so far. I can pull a computer apart, but a motorcycle ?

retep130
14th March 2008, 22:31
just make sure the gasket is in good order when you put it back together, or put some gasket goo on it, otherwise oil may leak, and make sure the nuts are tight enough/not too tight

Ixion
14th March 2008, 22:31
Be exceeding careful of the gasket. Ideally, a new gasket , or at least a VERY THIN smear of non setting gasket compound.

Tighten the bolts alternately top and bottom, back and front. And check that the gear change and clutch work properly before bolting everything back up tight.

Banesto John
14th March 2008, 22:38
The gasket stayed on the case when I removed the cover.It didn't get damaged at all, so that's good.

It's back together, gotta do a dry run, then a test drive. All the fairings have to go back on first.

Wish me luck.

Banesto John
14th March 2008, 23:14
Test ride done, all gears functioning, clutch 100%.

What can I say? When it all went wrong I was about to attach a chain to the bike and list it on TradeMe as an anchor.

With a bit of encouragement, I'm back on the road.

You guys rock,thanks.

Whoever mentioned taking the clutch cover off, you are da man. Drop me your address, I have something for you.

Regards:2thumbsup

xgnr
15th March 2008, 05:42
Read this early this morning and thought "you poor bastard" heart went out to you.

Reading the thread through it shows just how cool this site and the people on it.

Have a great trip.. wish I was heading back that way.

Cheers

Stu