PDA

View Full Version : Old oil and clutch slipping

Tickler
15th March 2008, 12:51
I took my Yamaha SRX out for a ride the other day after not using it for quite some time (around a year).

When i left it everything was fine on it, now when ive come back to use it (after getting a new battery) the clutch slips like no bodys business! Ive adjusted the cable, but to no avail.

My question is, due to the oil being old (and probably degraded), does that cause the clutch to now slip?

My guess is that the friction modifiers have depleted over time, as the oil would prob be ~2 years old now.

Any help would be appreciated

James Deuce
15th March 2008, 13:13
Friction modifiers found in most car oil are what makes a wet clutch slip.

Ixion
15th March 2008, 13:57
Have you changed the engine oil?

Two things spring to mind. Either the clutch mechanism is sticking due to corrosion , either in the cable or in the release mechanism down at the engine. Or, I have known clutches to slip on long standing because the oil between the plates drys out and turns to a sort of gummy varnish . This usually causes the clutch to drag as well.

If you haven't changed the oil, I would do so ASAP. Then try just some gentle riding and see if use improves matters.

EDIT: It's unlikely to be anything to do with friction modifiers if it wsn't slipping before.

Tickler
15th March 2008, 14:35
Cool, thanks for that guys.

Im looking at changing the oil, but also thinking i would need to buy some new clutch fiber plates. if i changed the oil and still needed to change the clutch, would i need more new oil, or just re-use the new oil i put in. (so i know how much to buy!) i figured i should/would just do both at the same time.

McJim
15th March 2008, 16:12
If it's not your daily ride then take it as read that it will be out of action for a wee while. Empty the bike of oil and take off the clutch cover and have a wee look see. Then decide if you're doing Oil + Filter + Plates or if it'll just be Oil + Filter.

Motu
15th March 2008, 16:21
Friction modifiers found in most car oil are what makes a wet clutch slip.

Found in very few car oils - you must be on American web sites.

Oil is not going to deteriorate into something slipperier than it originally was....or else old oil would be better than new.Clutches that start to slip are worn out.More often a bike that sits will have a locked clutch from the plates sticking - but as Ixion says maybe they are varnished.

I'd strip,clean and check the clutch plates and springs first - it's no big deal and you are going to have to do it anyway....the quick fix is never a good option.Use a diesel oil - Delo 400,Mobil Delvac,Shell Rotalla or BP Vanellus C6.All good oils for a bike and will help clean the clutch.

FROSTY
18th March 2008, 00:13
For the cost of a gasket I'd rip the plates out one by one and clean them and the basket.